From sketch to animation

By Ann Telnaes

You've seen my animations. Now for the first time, see how I prepare these animated cartoons. Video edited and produced by Anup Kaphle.

By Ann Telnaes  | November 5, 2010; 12:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GOP leadership vows to repeal health-care reform
Next: U.S. income gap widens

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

This is such an excellent video and really shows exactly how much expertise it takes to produce your cartoons. Keep up the great work!

Posted by: sfcpoll1 | November 12, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow!

Posted by: ns3k | November 10, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

That was cool. Thanks for letting us see the process.

Posted by: johng1 | November 10, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful! A really smart video of an amazing process. The great idea to start with, and then the execution, from most basic, pencil on paper, the overlapping drawings of the animation process, through the wonderful fluid brush work (the erasing of the old pencil lines - nice touch including that) and then the scanner, computer, PhotoShop and Flash - and served up right on my screen! Thank you.

Posted by: dvdkslr | November 8, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

This is my first message to you, Ann, but I love your animated cartoons and the messages. I always look forward to them. They are unique and insightful. Keep up the great work. Thanks so much.

Posted by: glehr1 | November 8, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Telnaes you ROCK and are truly one of the best animators/cartoonists in the business. Your animations are funny, tight, and spot on.

Keep up the good work!

Posted by: dmblum | November 8, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Thank you very much for all your comments. I appreciate that many of you find the process (which can be quite boring to watch real time) interesting. Anup did a wonderful job editing it down to a more palatable length- now, if he could do that with my work day...

Posted by: anntelnaes | November 8, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Ann
With a background in art, business, and education I can appreciate what goes into making your animations!

Posted by: MyVoice3 | November 7, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Have you done VP Biden yet? Just think of all the material your missing. The time he told the guy in a wheel chair to stand up and how about all the people his motorcade has run over? Thanks for the behind the scenes experience.

Posted by: billybeer6 | November 6, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

The words "National Treasure" apply.
Thank you talented lady.

bobmoses - - - Geeze! Get a life. I feel very sorry for you.

Posted by: lufrank1 | November 6, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow....I recall watching the folks from Disney create their wonderful movies....one picture, one frame...very labor intensive.
It was great to see the master (can I use master for a lady) do her work. I pass on the pics to my friends who do not get the post....we really enjoy them....Keep up the good work

Posted by: ghoeffel | November 6, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow....I recall in my youth seeing the Disney folks explain how they created the cartoons....talk about labor intensive !!!
one picture...one camera frame...
I reall enjoyed seeing how the master (is it ok to call a woman master) does her work. I always pass them on to my friends who do not get the post....

Posted by: ghoeffel | November 6, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for sharing another part of your creative life! I knew it was probably a LOT of work, but you look as if you enjoy every minute.

Posted by: Maerzie | November 5, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Ann!
This is always one of the first sections of the Post that I visit, and seeing the work behind the incisive animations makes them that much more impressive.
Political cartoons remain, for me, one of the most important modes of discourse, and Ann's works are among my favorite.
Thanks for inviting us inside the process.

Posted by: jaredwrightus | November 5, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Dear Ms. Telnaes,

Thank you again and again. Your cartoons have played a big role in keeping us sane over these last rough years. Not to mention pasting a smile on our mugs. You consistently go to the heart of the matter and leave me shaking my head. But smiling. Might be a wry smile, but it's a damned smile.

I'm a composer and do a lot of work in public radio and found so many parallels with the way you build your animations and the way I write music. 'Ceptin' you're way faster.

I hope you live forever and keep merrily skewering the fools and hypocrites the whole way.

Bill McGlaughlin

Posted by: billymack21 | November 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Ann for your gift to us.
I always look forward to watching your animations.
Keep up the great work

Posted by: frmar | November 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Glad I watched. Looks like fun but a lot of work too. What we can't see is the thought processes that go on in your head before you even start to draw.

Posted by: Trakker | November 5, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

. . . and she did it all on a Mac ! ! !

Great stuff !

Posted by: swanieaz | November 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Great, Now I'll be thinking about the Swedish Hottie
behind every sketch's moment [sic] movement.

Posted by: zeprider | November 5, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm hooked on Ann's cartoons. Thanks Ann, you make my week so much better!!!

Posted by: WhiskeyJack | November 5, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Ann;
Thank you. Besides yourself, I consistantly read Tom Toles editorial images. I never knew the amount of work invovled with yor work. KEEP IT UP.
Nicholas Carton, USMC
cartonnt@slu.edu

Posted by: cartonnt | November 5, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Ann,
This video is wonderful! I hope you'll do more of these demonstration videos. My cartoon students would love seeing how you create an animated editorial cartoon. These are great for inspiring young people who want to be cartoonists. Thanks so much. BTW, your work is outstanding! — ME

Posted by: medholm1 | November 5, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

"First, I figure out which conservative I am going to attack.

Then, I come up with vapid "commentary"

Then I draw a doodle around my predictable and lame partisan commentary."

Posted by: bobmoses | November 5, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Ann. Nice to know the person behind the pen.

Posted by: rongbleier | November 5, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Great ! Thank you for that. Like watching Leonardo de Vinci at work.

Posted by: hamelinfish | November 5, 2010 3:59 AM | Report abuse

Cool!!

The music annoyed me in the beginning but half way it cracked up!

I love Ann's political cartoons. I think they are the best.

Posted by: coqui44 | November 5, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Nice Demonstration! It was fun to watch you draw it up somewhat the way they did in the beginning of animation. I love the old animations that were drawn frame to frame. Tom & Jerry is still my favorite.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | November 4, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse