Posted at 10:24 AM ET, 07/12/2010

Questions for Michelle Obama's live Web chat on obesity

By Valerie Strauss

On Tuesday, First Lady Michelle Obama will be taking questions from the public during her first live Web chat, as part of the launch of the Let’s Move! Web site. Let’s Move! is her campaign to solve the childhood obesity epidemic.

AOL Health will moderate the Web chat, which will start at 10 a.m. Eastern time, but you can submit questions anytime from now until the chat. You can tune in at www.LetsMove.gov or at AOL.

Here’s how to engage in the event with the first lady:

* Submit questions in advance via e-mail to askmichelleobama@aol.com (please include your name and town)

* Ask questions live during the chat through Facebook.

Here are my questions for Mrs. Obama:

Do you know that the Obama administration’s education policies, some of which stem from the disastrous No Child Left Behind era, will do little, if anything, to increase physical education in public school systems? And that many of those systems have drastically reduced their programs to make more time for standardized test prep?

If you do know, have you talked to him about it and asked him why? If you don’t know but are learning this right now, will you try to find out what’s going on and talk to your husband about taking a really critical look at some of the policies emanating from the Department of Education?

It is certainly true that the Education Department has said it supports a "well-rounded curriculum" that includes the arts and physical education.

But its support of an expansion of standardized tests will lead to more test prep, which means less time for everything but the subjects being tested. That's what happened when No Child Left Behind was implemented and school districts cut back on science, art, music and phys ed, to add more time for reading and math instruction and test prep, the two subjects that were then the subject of high-stakes tests. We’ve been here before. We know the effects of high-stakes standardized tests.

Meanwhile, a recent report on the state of physical education in the country by the National Association for Sport and Physical Education had some bad news:

* Fewer than one-third of all children 6 to 17 engage in vigorous activity, defined as participating in physical activity for at least 20 minutes that made the child sweat and breathe hard.

* Among children 6 to 11, 33 percent are overweight and 17 percent are obese. Meanwhile, 34 percent of adolescents and teens ages 12-19 are overweight and 17.6 percent are obese.

* Only 37 percent of states (19) require some form of student assessment in physical education.

* More than half of states allow waivers from physical education and more than half (not necessarily the same states) allow students to substitute other activities for phys ed.

* Currently, 43 percent of states allow required physical education credits to be earned through online physical education courses. Of these 22 states, only 27 percent offer comprehensive physical education, defined as addressing all state or national standards; 41 percent offer a course in personal fitness and wellness; 14 percent offer some type of sports, such as golf; and 18 percent offer weight training online.

* It is estimated that obesity will cost the United States $344 billion in medical-related expenses by 2018.

Follow my blog all day, every day by bookmarking washingtonpost.com/answersheet. And for admissions advice, college news and links to campus papers, please check out our Higher Education page at washingtonpost.com/higher-ed Bookmark it!

By Valerie Strauss  | July 12, 2010; 10:24 AM ET
Categories:  Health, Standardized Tests  | Tags:  first lady and web chat, first lady michelle obama and let's move, let's move and michelle obama, michelle obama, michelle obama and first web chat, michelle obama and obesity, michelle obama and web chat, nclb and physical education, physical education and obesity, web chat and let's move
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bill Gates' troubling involvement in school reform
Next: How Gates is spending money on school reform

Comments

Why was Physical Education not included as a "core academic subject" within the US Department of Education's "Blueprint for Reform"?

Why are schools not required to report on the quality and quantity of physical education, physical education facilities, teacher accreditation, and physical education curriculum?

Why are states not required by law that all physical education teachers are licensed in physical education?

Why does the President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition not include one person from the Physical Education world?

Why has "Let's Move" failed up to this point to include & recognize the important role Physical Educators play within schools and in combating childhood obesity?

Posted by: ultimatewarrior | July 12, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Dear First Lady Obama: I am a big fan of President Obama'a Administration. Are you aware that I have cured obesity, cancer and virtually all pychopathy on my website with my new uptake system and new uptake system equation 1,000,000/1 with nutritional equity. The only website address you will need to fix child hood obesity is mine...www.Burke2Data.com...all from the mind of Gerard Joseph Burke II...aka...Burke2...Your fan, Burke2...aka..Gerard Joseph Burke II Analyst/President/Founder of Burke2data.com / IdeasForVenture.com

Posted by: GerardJBurke2 | July 12, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GerardJBurke2 | July 12, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Dear First Lady Obama: I am a big fan of President Obama'a Administration. Are you aware that I have cured obesity, cancer and virtually all pychopathy on my website with my new uptake system and new uptake system equation 1,000,000/1 with nutritional equity. The only website address you will need to fix childhood obesity is mine...www.Burke2Data.com...all from the mind of Gerard Joseph Burke II...aka...Burke2...Your fan, Burke2...aka..Gerard Joseph Burke II Analyst/President/Founder of Burke2data.com / IdeasForVenture.com

Posted by: GerardJBurke2 | July 12, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Dear First Lady Obama: I am a big fan of President Obama'a Administration. Are you aware that I have cured obesity, cancer and virtually all psychopathy on my website with my new uptake system and new uptake system equation 1,000,000/1 with nutritional equity. The only website address you will need to fix child hood obesity is mine...www.Burke2Data.com...all from the mind of Gerard Joseph Burke II...aka...Burke2...Your fan, Burke2...aka...Gerard Joseph Burke II Analyst/President/Founder of Burke2data.com / IdeasForVenture.com

Posted by: GerardJBurke2 | July 12, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Dear First Lady Obama: I am a big fan of President Obama'a Administration. Are you aware that I have cured obesity, cancer and virtually all psychopathy on my website with my new uptake system and new uptake system equation 1,000,000/1 with nutritional equity. The only website address you will need to fix childhood obesity is mine...www.Burke2Data.com...all from the mind of Gerard Joseph Burke II...aka...Burke2...Your fan, Burke2...aka...Gerard Joseph Burke II Analyst/President/Founder of Burke2data.com / IdeasForVenture.com

Posted by: GerardJBurke2 | July 12, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Dear First Lady Obama: I am a big fan of President Obama'a Administration. Are you aware that I have cured obesity, cancer and virtually all psychopathy on my website with my new uptake system and new uptake system equation 1,000,000/1 with nutritional equity? The only website address you will need to fix childhood obesity is mine...www.Burke2Data.com...all from the mind of Gerard Joseph Burke II...aka...Burke2...Your fan, Burke2...aka...Gerard Joseph Burke II Analyst/President/Founder of Burke2data.com / IdeasForVenture.com

Posted by: GerardJBurke2 | July 12, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

What should one feed a child that survives an abortion attempt?

Posted by: icervantesiii | July 12, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Dear First Lady Obama: I am a big fan of President Obama'a Administration. Here's my question for you? Are you aware that I have cured obesity, cancer and virtually all psychopathy on my website with my new uptake system and new uptake system equation 1,000,000/1 with nutritional equity? The only website address you will need to fix childhood obesity is mine www.Burke2Data.com . Question? If it took Burke2 aprox. 3 years to develop the new uptake system, And it took 5,000,000 researchers to research obesity, cancer and Psychopathy and Burke2 has now cured the aforementioned. What is his Problem solving IQ for the aforementioned problem compared to the body of research trying to cure the aforementioned by the standard IQ formula (#of People who have tried to solve the problem/ Time it takes to solve)= IQ for Problem. Answer: 5,000,000 Researchers/ 3.0 years= 1.6 million IQ on this problem. Remember this number when the research body tells you that my hypothesis is not accurate. Remember the people who have cured nothing for these diseases have an IQ of ZERO for the same problem. Listed below are two links directly to my website that outline my hypothesis on my cure for obesity, cancer and virtually all psychopathy- Your fan, Burke2 of Burke2Data.com / IdeasForVenture.com

Posted by: GerardJBurke2 | July 12, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse