Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 12/16/2010

If D.C. region really is the nation's most educated, then...

By Valerie Strauss

If the Washington area really is the most educated (and wealthiest) region in the country, as new Census Bureau figures confirm, then....

*Why can’t we figure out how to use the self-checkout machines in food and drug stores without begging for help from a salesperson?
*Why does a dusting of snow turn us into quivering idiots?
*Why does rain do the same thing?

*How come nobody knows exactly where Glebe Road starts and ends?
*How come so many people waste time sitting in traffic for hours getting to and from work?
*Why are the Apple genius bars always so crowded?
*Why do we have so many troubled public schools?
*How come we are saddled with a utility company that ranks at or near the bottom in industry surveys of reliability?
*How come nobody knows who the statues in D.C. traffic circles commemorate?
*Why don't more people understand how important it is to buy and read The Washington Post?
*Why can’t we have a football team that can kick an extra point through the goal posts?

Let me hear some of your questions, and I’ll publish the best ones...

-0-

Follow my blog every day by bookmarking washingtonpost.com/answersheet. And for admissions advice, college news and links to campus papers, please check out our Higher Education page at washingtonpost.com/higher-ed Bookmark it!

By Valerie Strauss  | December 16, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Laugh and cry  | Tags:  census bureau, most educated region, washington d.c. region, washington region, wealthiest region
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Rhee wrought
Next: The disaster California schools face, and a teacher's call to action

Comments

Why does the restaurant bill have to tell you the exact tip at 15 or 18%?
After 10+ years of Dan Snyder, why do folks line up for Redskin season tickets?

Posted by: pdexiii | December 16, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Why did the degrade the rankings by housing Congress?

Posted by: educ8er | December 16, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Lack of edit function...first the = they

Posted by: educ8er | December 16, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

First of all, education and common sense are two different things. I work with people with advanced degrees who can barely find their way across the street alone. I work with a woman who was a speechwriter for a highly-placed politician and she communicates to me with 'text-speak.' Maybe we should turn world affairs over to the common man -- look what a mess the eggheads with all the ed-u-ma-cation have made in the world.

Posted by: Baltimore11 | December 16, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"Why can’t we figure out how to use the self-checkout machines in food and drug stores without begging for help from a salesperson?"

It's not that I can't, it's that I refuse to use the damn things.

Posted by: steveh46 | December 16, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

If DC is the most educated area, then why can't the Dept of Education housed in DC come up with a new, "most educated" strategy to improve public education?

If DC is the most educated area, then why do dozens of people queue up to buy one cupcake? (ok, I like them too, I take this one back!)

Posted by: rsolnet | December 16, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

... then why haven't drivers figured out that the reason for distance between two cars is not to allow "them" to "sneak in" thereby cutting off the unlucky driver who is purposefully keeping a safe distance????? This should be especially apparent in snowy and rainy conditions... wouldn't you think?

Posted by: teachermd | December 16, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Valerie: Many adults younger and older than you have mastered those self-checkout machines. And I believe many are products of DCPS, and other public systems, as well as charters.

Posted by: axolotl | December 16, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Posted by: lacy41 | December 16, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Then why do dirty politicians and adulterers keep getting caught?

Posted by: teachermomnj | December 16, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I had to laugh at this one! My elementary age child showed me how to do self-checkout, which I really like. You don't have to talk with the salesperson!
I'm with teachermomnj...why do all the dirty politicians and the adulterers keep lying even after they are caught??

Posted by: kodonivan | December 16, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

If DC has some of the best schools and some of the worst schools in the country why can't they figure out how to make the worst schools into the best schools?

Posted by: ananna | December 18, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse