PBS edits Tina Fey's remarks from Twain event

By Paul Farhi
fey
Fey accepts Mark Twain award. (AP)

Tina Fey got a little political airbrushing from PBS Sunday night during its annual broadcast of the Kennedy Center's Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

Fey, this year's recipient of the prize, caused a few ripples during her acceptance speech at the ceremony on Tuesday when she mock-praised "conservative women" like Sarah Palin, whom Fey has so memorably impersonated on "Saturday Night Live."

"And, you know, politics aside, the success of Sarah Palin and women like her is good for all women - except, of course --those who will end up, you know, like, paying for their own rape 'kit 'n' stuff," Fey said. "But for everybody else, it's a win-win. Unless you're a gay woman who wants to marry your partner of 20 years - whatever. But for most women, the success of conservative women is good for all of us. Unless you believe in evolution. You know - actually, I take it back. The whole thing's a disaster."

(Video: Watch Fey's unedited remarks; the key passage is in the second video, starting at about 12 minutes, 30 seconds)

But that's not what viewers heard when PBS and WETA (channel 26) broadcast an edited version of Fey's speech on Sunday.

The part about rape kits and evolution was gone, leaving only Fey's more harmonious -- and blander -- comments about Palin and politics: "I would be a liar and an idiot if I didn't thank Sarah Palin for helping get me here tonight. My partial resemblance and her crazy voice are the two luckiest things that ever happened to me. All kidding aside, I'm so proud to represent American humor, I am proud to be an American, and I am proud to make my home in the 'not real' America. And I am most proud that during trying times, like an orange [terror] alert, a bad economy or a contentious election that we as a nation retain our sense of humor."

Was PBS shielding its viewers from Fey's more pointed remarks?

"It was not a political decision," responded Peter Kaminsky, one of the broadcast's executive producers. "We had zero problems with anything she said."

But with the 90-minute show running about 19 minutes long after the taping Tuesday night, a few things had to give, Kaminsky said. "We took a lot out," he said. "We snipped from everyone."

This isn't the first time editors have stepped on a Twain recipient's bit. When George Carlin was posthumously awarded the prize in 2008, the show's producers spared the ears of the Kennedy Center audience by bleeping out the naughty parts from a video of Carlin doing his famous "Seven Dirty Words" routine. Thus, a monologue about words you couldn't say on television became one you couldn't say in the Kennedy Center, either.

User poll:

More on this story:

Full video, transcript of Fey's acceptance speech at PBS

The Tao of Tina meets the Twain of Tina

Photos: Tina Fey honored at the Mark Twain awards

From Second City to '30 Rock,' Fey rocketed to fame

By Paul Farhi  | November 15, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rendering D.C. strange, John Gossage-style
Next: Portrait Gallery To Read and Read and Read "Leaves of Grass"

Comments

yet you had problems with juan williams comments...
now we know who pbs hates...

Posted by: DwightCollins | November 15, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Peter Kaminsky is a hack producer with no integrity and no standards other than those with dollar signs on them. He has no interest in accurately presenting the works of the artists who appear in his productions, and that's why none of them have ever received more than a passing interest from viewers. Get a real producer and maybe these events will garner some professional respect.

Posted by: Mathonwy | November 15, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

It was very funny. Enjoyed seeing all the "best of" clips, many of which I missed over the years. I tried to watch Steve Martin several years ago and fell a sleep. Glad they are getting more contemporary.

Posted by: WmLaney | November 15, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Crikey. What a hateful bit of abuse from Fey. Very un-classy.

Posted by: spamsux1 | November 15, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Somebody seems to be confusing PBS with NPR.

That said, PBS posted the entire thing online, so I'm not sure they're really hiding anything. I don't know if they indicated that portions of the broadcast had been edited for time or not, but either way they should have.

Posted by: Left_of_the_Pyle | November 15, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

yet you had problems with juan williams comments...

Yeah, it's uncanny how the situations are identical. especially the part where Tina Fey said she's afraid of Moslems when she flies.

Posted by: StevenDolley | November 15, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

PBS just gave itself a swift kick in the nuts.

Who would of thought. PBS, bastion of censorship and conservative values. Idiots.

Posted by: veerle1 | November 15, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, well.... I didn't know she made these comments. How would I know? -- they were edited out by PBS!
It's pretty outrageous... Cutting these remarks completely alters the substance of what she said. They also provide much more context for the anodyne remnants PBS left in, which, left by themselves, are sort of insulting to Fey, whose humor is supposed to be so sharp.
It seems we are about to replay the Bush years, when PBS was quaking in its boots over threats by the administration to cut funding, and suspended Bill Moyers. But wasn't PBS headed by the time by a Republican hack who hired the Wall Street JOurnal editorial board to opine on the air? (No need to do that now -- the Journal is now part of the Fox empire.)

Posted by: mylesgordon | November 15, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

PBS' idea of comedy is "Are You Being Served?"

Posted by: TaxiDriver | November 15, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

North to Alaska! Methinks that bear was on hiatus from Animal Planet. Excellent performance by Todd in the Bruce Jenner role.

Posted by: phvr38 | November 15, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I watched the Mark Twain Awards on WNYC on Cable- vision last night and those same words eliminated in some areas were NOT eliminated on WNYC. I think that the Kaminsky excuse is utter garbage and not true. It probably is because PBS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting doesn't want to do anything to further alienate the Teapublicans, who will be taking a cleaver to their government funding no matter what they say or do, or however acquiescient they may seem to be. Rest assured that the new search for places to cut will focus on anything the angry Teapublican types hate, since they have FOXX to disseminate their lie, distortions and favorites.

Posted by: enough3 | November 15, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

spamsux1 wrote: Crikey. What a hateful bit of abuse from Fey. Very un-classy.
----------
Truth hurts.

Posted by: monk4hall | November 15, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Jealous much Fey?

Posted by: williepete1 | November 15, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha its the repugnicans and the libtards who hate the real America. PBS needs to be killed by a obamacare death panel and teabaggers should be thrown overboard. I't's so clever of me I call people names when I don't like their politics ha ha

Posted by: jobro1 | November 15, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

It is not anything like the Juan Williams' situation, but it's predictable the right would try to make it the same.
How odd that they would snip the funniest and most telling parts of the routine. Too much truth? America can only handle truthiness, remember?

"Beyond the major moments of fear in our lives, there are other times we sacrifice our personal truth to please the gremlins we call being nice, going along, being approved of. It's the loss of self that goes with the territory of feeling one thing but then doing another. If you let them, these hungry little gremlins will devour your soul bit by bit, and come to dominate your life." (HuffPost)

Posted by: bdunn1 | November 15, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Certainly Tina Fey's portrayal of Sara Palin with her "I can see Russia from my back Door" routine was the funniest thing about the 2008 elections and will go down in history with "I'm not a Crook" as a punch line for failed and overblown political aspirations.

For PBS to give Tina short shrift when broadcastng an awards ceremony named in the honor of America's greatest progressive humorist,Mark Twain, seems a disgrace. It only highlights just how mealy mouthed and paranoid the Center/ Left media have become in presenting dissenting opinions about the rabid Right(And who could deserve them more?). Oh well, we PBS viewers still have all the pictures of the Cute little Animals and stricking vistas to keep us amused.

Posted by: oregonbirddog | November 15, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Jealous much Fey?

Posted by: williepete1 | November 15, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

LOL...jealous of Sarah? Right.

Her fifteen minutes have all been at your expense, and they're just about up.

Posted by: Bridge3263 | November 15, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

They also cut the part where Kanye West pushed Tina aside and grabbed the mic to say HE deserved the prize. That Kanye! What a character!!

Posted by: gregbyrneva | November 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Kaminsky was 'producing' with an eye to January, 2011. PBS gets funding from the CPB, and Republicorp has been gunning for the CPB for at least 30 years. So, with future funding in mind, Kaminsky did what all bullies want you to do: self censor.

Posted by: ctenwith | November 15, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

I had doubts about the selection of Ms. Fey for the award, but I guess it was politically correct from a gender perspective . . . but the editing bit is one more reason to not fund these guys . . .

Posted by: rkersh | November 15, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank-you Tina Fey for bring humor back to TV on sure happy it's thursday night.

Posted by: whocares666 | November 15, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Dwight Collins: You're thinking of NPR, not PBS.

"yet you had problems with juan williams comments...
now we know who pbs hates..."

Posted by: Loryjones | November 15, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I had to snicker at Amy Poeller's comments that Tina Fey's imitation of Sarah Palin "influenced the election." What jaw-dropping hubris! Typical of navel-gazing "entertainers."

Posted by: Loryjones | November 15, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

A truly funny, talented person doesn't have to do their thing at the expense of someone else. Tina Fey is not funny and apparently she's also clueless. Doesn't have enough brains to know when to shut the hell up and just say thank you. Of course she's a vile leftist!

Posted by: ftbindc | November 15, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ftbindc
==============================================

So you agree that yor "vile leftist" comment shows that you are neither funny nor talented.

Posted by: Ken_Davis1 | November 15, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

While I have been a long time (money) supporter of public broadcasting, after the Juan Williams fiasco (yes, yes, I know that is NPR, not PBS--but truly they are all "Government Broadcasting") I have decided to push as hard as I can to get them defunded at all levels of government. I believe at a minimum we can get them out of the Virginia budget...not sure if their dinosaur buddies on Capitol Hill will pull the plug though...

Posted by: dcmowbray1 | November 15, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ftbindc
==============================================
Excellent! We are in agreement that your "vile leftist" comment shows that you lack talent as well as a sense of humor.

Posted by: Ken_Davis1 | November 15, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Just think how much better the world might be if Tina actually did something about all these causes she supposedly supports rather than just make money from them.

That's really the problem with Leftists elitists like Fey; all talk and concern until it actually costs her personally.

Fey is just another of the countless reasons this country is in trouble.

Posted by: krankyman | November 15, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey is to Mark Twain as sitcoms are to Shakespeare.

Posted by: ThisIsReality | November 15, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Could it possibly be that PBS - which draws a FAMILY audience -- in looking for 19 minutes to cut, thought that talk about rape kits could go while retaining the essence of the jibes at palin and the other rightards. If PBS REALLY wanted to slam conservatives, they would have made sure to LEAVE THAT MATERIAL IN since it was the most pointed and correct slam on the brainless twitterati palin in the piece.

If was in conservatives would whine about bias in broadcasting such remarks, and how inappropriate it is to talk about rape kits on family tv. They whine like a bunch of old ladies with sore feet no matter what is said because it fits into their "victim" narrative -- "oh we poor conservatives are always getting picked on--wahwahwah---" Bunch of sissies.

Posted by: John1263 | November 15, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I tuned in while ironing because Masterpiece Mystery wasn't on and I thought this show the most crashing bore. The speakers were not funny at all--the guy who's Don Driver and the one who preceded and followed him were absolutely unlaughable. If this is how they honor Ms. Fey, they've got a long way to go. Thank goodness we hadn't paid money to see it. Most boring TV I've had to endure in ages.

Posted by: commonsense101 | November 15, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Nicely put, ThisIsReality.

Mentioning Tina Fey in the same breath with mark Twain is grotesque. Her attempt to insult conservatives came off as simply lame. It's obvious she's never actually read anything by Mark Twain, because he was a master of invective.

Twain could sound like he was complimenting you while he was sticking a rhetorical dagger in your side. His essay, "The French and the Comanches" is masterpiece of the art. He finishes up with the apparent compliment that the Frenchman "is, in hardly any important respect, the significant inferior of the Comanche."

Sounds nice until you read it a second or a third time.

Or this gem from his little-known essay, "Unburlesqueable Things" (regarding a murder trial): "...the insanity plea was a rather far-fetched compliment to pay the prisoner, inasmuch as one must first have brains before he can go crazy, and there was surely nothing in the evidence to show that McFarland had enough of the raw material to justify him in attempting anything more imposing than a lively form of idiocy."

PBS probably excised Fey's comments because they would have exposed the ugly truth that the entertainment industry is in love with itself, and no matter how shallow your accomplishments, will bestow every award it can find on you as long as you're beautiful and left-wing.

If the owners of the Mark Twain award really wanted to give it to someone with some of Twain's curmudgeonly, even nasty, skepticism, they'd have given it to Christopher Hitchens.

Posted by: gilbertbp | November 15, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to Fey, who showed herself to be a despicable ignoramus. It is a shame she lacks the grace and intelligence of the leader she so callously mocks and slanders.

Posted by: thebump | November 15, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Cat fight! Cat fight! (My money is on the momma grizzly!)

Posted by: faudel | November 15, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

That's right Ken, GUESS WHAT? I wasn't trying to be funny. And talent is in the eye of the beholder. It's SUBJECTIVE! You obviously believe this woman is talented. I don't! It's just my opinion. Just as your bizarre statement about me is your opinion. I also don't make millions of dollars and stand on a stage and ruin an event where I'm being honored by behaving like an A hole! No one cares what I think, except for you I guess. Just as many vile leftists routinely run their mouths about those of us on the right, well guess what?..the feeling is mutual! Most people on the left make me want to vomit! Just my opinion which I would have kept to myself except for your mind boggling note comparing me to someone who keeps appearing on the national stage and is promoted, apparently, as some national treasure! She's just another left wing hack who needs to sit down and shut the hell up. Just MY opinion.

Posted by: ftbindc | November 15, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that WaPo didn't also try to sweep this under the rug. Thanks for posting this.

Posted by: reston75 | November 15, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

It's time to bring to light, not to obscure, the biases of entertainers and newscasters. A case in point wold be Lawrence O'Donnell stating on air that he is a socialist and clearly disdains "mere liberals." Is this really the guy who should be counted on for news?

Juan Williams was found by PBS to be offensive, and was fired. Were his comments as hateful as O'Donnell's? If you don't know what I'm talking about, google O'Donnell socialism and find out.

Tina Fey is an entertainer. But a large number of people in this country would find her less funny if her remarks about Ms Palin were better known. Are Fey's comments hateful? Of course they are. So why did PBS fail to report them?

Thanks to the Post for bringing this up. Maybe this paper is coming to its senses again.

Posted by: tacheronb | November 15, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

What do you think about interracial love? and interracial dating online?
I really don’t know why they call it forbidden love.
Love is an emotion that transcends all boundaries of race, caste and creed.
Love does not see the color of the skin, nor the social status of the person. The All pervading emotion is very pure and it can stand the test of time, if the need so arises.
I am a black girl and I met a white guy on blackwhitemeet dot com recently. What's your idea about interracial marriage? BLACKWHITEMEET DOT COM is a dating club for interracial singles to have fun together. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: abulaw | November 15, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Jealous much Fey?

Posted by: williepete1 | November 15, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

LOL...jealous of Sarah? Right.

Her fifteen minutes have all been at your expense, and they're just about up.

Posted by: Bridge3263
===========================================

Wow! Someone who fawns over homely impostors!

Hey, whatever. I guess it takes all kinds!

Posted by: williepete1 | November 15, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I'll be damned if I ever give any money to PBS ever again. I will write my Congressmen and Senator to stop giving money to PBS. They are a political organization and they should raise their money from any source except my taxes. Grrrr....Tina Fey couuldn't hold Palin's shoes....

Posted by: steven7753 | November 15, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

It's censorship that works to the advantage of the left. It's on national tv and Fey gets away with looking relatively benign, when it's clear her politics are hard, doctrinaire left.

These kinds of programs draw a much more diverse and larger audience than customarily watches the usual PBS offerings. It's to the network's advantage to tone down the partisanship. (Their funding depends on it.) And it's to Fey advantage that they clean up her act for her. The audience isn't the usual late-night 20 or 30 something audience.

With liberals, the calculation to the furthest decimal point never ends.

Posted by: theduke89 | November 15, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

What do you think about interracial love? and interracial dating online?
I really don’t know why they call it forbidden love.
Love is an emotion that transcends all boundaries of race, caste and creed.

Posted by: abulaw | November 15, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

With liberals, the calculation to the furthest decimal point never ends.

Posted by: theduke89 | November 15, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Fey's politics are central to understanding her humor. If you had to cut something, cut something peripheral. Personally, I'm not a fan because I don't like her politics, which drives her humor, but I'm not giving her the award. Of ALL people, you don't gut the speech of the honoree. The producer cut a segment that would have displayed her brand of humor to people who may not be that familiar with her. Absolutely disgraceful.

Posted by: gbooksdc | November 15, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I missed seeing this marvelous Mark Twain award/tribute to Tina Fey. But I don't care what she did/didn't say/what was edited out/whom her remarks may have offended - SHE IS JUST THE GREATEST COMEDIAN/COMEDY WRITER/ACTRESS/WHATEVER-WHENEVER SHE DOES ANYTHING. She continues to bring the 'flair of fresh air' into everything she does. KEEP IT UP TINA FEY! You are the VERY BEST.

Posted by: rbsher | November 15, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

If PBS is a recipient of Tax Payer dollars, it should be A-political!

Posted by: theaz | November 15, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Damn,the Redskins got trounced! And PBS sucks too!

Posted by: johng1 | November 16, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Interesting article. Great comments by Tina Fey. Although the final edition of this program was edited and there are some pretty negative posts in here about that everyone still needs to remember that this is 2010 and these days if something gets "cut" from anything it's bound to make it into print somewhere which is egg on the face of whoever cut it in the first place. Living in the information age is actually a pretty good thing. Almost nothing is hidden any more for better or worse. Thanks however for writing the article and filling in the blanks.

Posted by: purveyors | November 16, 2010 4:04 AM | Report abuse

I agree with a few posters. Is Tina Fey really deserving of this honor? Or is it like the Nobel Prize, where some years they seek to give it to the most America-hating candidate they can find, the one for whom the US makes him or her vomit? (e.g. Amnesty International, Kofi Annan, Arafat, Gore, Obama, Carter)

But whatever. Democrats and the rest of you American-haters have had your chance to ruin America, but you almost ruined the world in the process. Time to hand over the keys, grab a Slurpee and let those who love this country and humanity get the car back on the road.

Posted by: shecallsmemoe | November 16, 2010 5:35 AM | Report abuse

tina fey is no Mark Twain.

Posted by: wmpowellfan | November 16, 2010 5:47 AM | Report abuse

tina fey is no Mark Twain.

Posted by: wmpowellfan | November 16, 2010 5:47 AM | Report abuse

So what?

The ONLY reason she got this award was because she's good at mocking Sarah Palin.

It's exactly the same thing as Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize because he wasn't George Bush.

When this "academy" or whatever it is gets around to honoring Jerry Seinfeld or Mel Brooks (who they've overlooked so far), then maybe more than 50 people will watch their stupid awards show.

Posted by: corco02az | November 16, 2010 5:51 AM | Report abuse

hello everyone,im wholesale supplier online

Welcome to our website

===== http://www.1shopping.us/ =======

accept paypal and free shipping

We need your support and trust!!!

Dear friends, please temporarily stop your footsteps

To our website Walk around A look at

Maybe you'll find happiness in your sight shopping heaven and earth

You'll find our price is more suitable for you.

And we shall be offer you free gift about MP4 if you more order.

===== http://www.1shopping.us/ ========

Posted by: fsafs07 | November 16, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Is she funny? I don't get the humor here. Or her in general. Maybe a generational difference.

Posted by: RedStater3 | November 16, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Barracuda is a zero termer....

Posted by: vigor | November 16, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

"I don't the personal view, of these Moronic narcissistic artist, very creepy people actually, you know!"

You can't speak english and yet you demand that english should be the official language of the US. The Palin cultists cannot tolerate criticism of their figurehead. Do you also dial in every week to make sure Palin's daughter doesn't get cut from "Dancing with the Stars?" Does one have to be a "moran" to be a REAL American? Mark Twain would have made short work of the Palin worshippers.

Posted by: jaytingle | November 16, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

spamsux1 wrote: Crikey. What a hateful bit of abuse from Fey. Very un-classy.
----------
Truth hurts.

Posted by: monk4hall | November 15, 2010 6:25 PM |

Yes it does, thus PBS edited her remarks to try and make her look more worthy of the award. Fortunately, the internet will allow folks to point out what she really said and make fun of Fey and PBS, a twofer.

Posted by: Flyover_Country | November 16, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Not sure why PBS edited Tina Fey’s comments, probably because her comments weren’t humorous and made TF look dim-witted. In the end, Tina Fey isn't that funny and shouldn't have received an award. But, TF is loved by the U Street and Capitol Hill crowd so the Taxpayer ended up giving some worthless award.

30 Rock is one of the mind-numbing shows on TV.

Posted by: johnnyapplewhite123 | November 16, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Fey certainly enjoys and takes advantage of all the benefits this country provides for her. It's a shame she hates it so much.

Posted by: TheDubb | November 16, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Some good video highlights from Tina Fey's speech are here:

Posted by: mjwilstein | November 16, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Come on now Dewight PBS is a broadcasting network and not a person. As an entity it cannot "hate" anyone. Maybe you're looking a little too hard for "hate" and confusing yourself. CB

Posted by: chrisbrown12 | November 16, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I have seen a couple of funny skits from Ms. Fey I hope she is able to keep it from becoming ugly, or reading her remarks I guess uglier.

Posted by: almorganiv | November 16, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Tina is a great talent and very much in the Twain mold. Of course , Twain would be very much reviled by the right wing nutters of today because of his acerbic wit. This has the bent of Fox fair and balanced tv, maybe rupert from Austrailia (not from the USA) has bought PBS for his "news" stable.

Posted by: Oilcan4148 | November 16, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

pbs, get your damn claws out of my pocketbook.

Posted by: robeste | November 16, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

tina fey is no Mark Twain.

Posted by: wmpowellfan

--------

And Sarah Palin is no Ronald Reagan...
(and she is barely meets the standards of "normal" intelligence)

Posted by: rcc_2000 | November 16, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ftbindc | November 15, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

In your humble opinion, are all of us "vile leftists" true Americans?

Just curious, since apparently you feel that your opinion carries some kind of weight of truth. We'll bow down to your humble proclamations.

Just another reason, as I say all the time, that tea parties are, yes indeedy, for little girls.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 16, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations, PBS! You have given right-wingers plenty of reason to hate you and liberals plenty of reason not to donate. Find a leader who has some courage. I guess ATC does not really mean "All Things" said, too.

Posted by: cyclemadness | November 16, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: thebump

-------------------------------

ha ha, tee hee, ha ha ha!

satire, right?

Posted by: areyousaying | November 16, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

As it was PBS themselves who made Fey's unedited remarks available to the public via their Website, I'm inclined to believe the need to edit for the purpose of length--19 minutes is a LOT to edit out, and no _context_ was lost by removing that portion for the broadcast version. Sure, the choice was suspicious, but the reason fully makes sense.

It's a shame she couldn't be more civil, but then perhaps she thought she was imitating Mark Twain's own forthright cynical humor. Perhaps it even was expected of her.

For those objecting to Fey's comments, I remind you to be civil yourselves in the way you address other people, regardless of their political positions versus yours. You can disagree without calling names.

Posted by: deathquaker | November 16, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Fey and Palin
Both at their best when they avoid politics and project their personalities as entertainers on television.

Posted by: Elisa2 | November 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Palin's obviously an idiot, but Fey really doesn't deserve the Twain Prize yet. Why not give it to Woody Allen or Mel Brooks or Mary Tyler Moore or Eddie Murphy first?

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats | November 16, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

What the heck. If there are F bombs or S bombs they can bleep it & show the rest. Even what was there was great. Particularly Sarah's "crazy voice". The high pitched shrill voice gives the effect of nail on the chalk board. She thinks she sounds cute. Coming from a 3 year old, it might be cute. But then Sarah Palin has the intelligence & behaviour of a 3 year old.

Posted by: sarvenk63 | November 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Mark Twain awards censored. What a way to honor him. Bet he would blast PBS out of the water for cesoring a winner if he could. Bull-hockey they had time problems...PBS you should be ashamed!

Posted by: Faith351966 | November 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Even the leftists posting here admit that NPR is nothing more than a taxpayer supported shill for the Democrat Party. Defund it!

Posted by: mibrooks27 | November 16, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

-----------

Maybe. But not half as ashamed as millions of rubes believing Tina Fey is talented enough to belong in the same breath as Mark Twain.

I watched a few minutes of Tina Fey's inspiring attempts at "humor" they played over the years during this ceremony, and realized she's more Andrew Dice Clay than Mark Twain.

If it weren't for Sarah Palin, most of the country wouldn't even know who Tina Fey was. Fey may play large in NYC and L.A., but a majority of the adults in the rest of the country recognize a vile harpy when they see one.

Posted by: TexTaylor | November 16, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Typical of a left-winger to accept a wonderful honor like the Mark Twain Prize, and then ruin the moment by spewing political nonsense.

By the way, she was knocking 'em dead until that point, and then she bombed when she started with the Palin jokes. You could sense the awkwardness in the crowd. I think I even heard a few crickets starting to chirp.

Way to ruin your own night, Tina.

Posted by: Samwise1 | November 16, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Considering how much her jokes about Palin and conservative women bombed, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was Tina Fey herself who had the jokes edited out.

Posted by: Samwise1 | November 16, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jihm | November 16, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jihm | November 16, 2010 10:38 AM:

"Tina Fey has done some extremely funny stuff, and some schlocky stuff like 30 Rock too. She is one smart, hip lady - and would actually make a far better president than digbat Sarah Palin."
______________________________________________
Really? Then why doesn't Fey put her money where her mouth is and run for office? It's easy to throw tomatoes from the sidelines for laughs (in front of like-minded people, and with pre-written jokes). At least Palin is willing to put herself on the line and stand up for what she believes in. If Fey was in the same harsh spotlight day-to-day, she would wither like a flower.

Posted by: Samwise1 | November 16, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

DwightCollins:
yet you had problems with juan williams comments...
now we know who pbs hates...
*****
So you think PBS should fire Tina Fey?

Posted by: Rachelva | November 16, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Just another piece of intolerant liberal Hollyweird trailer trash. How pathetic a liberal woman whose one and only talent and claim to fame is a lame pathetic attempt at imitating a strong successful Conservative woman. So sad to be such a bitter,pitiful character actor.Get a life Tina Fey.

Posted by: inkaput | November 16, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

This is why I don't give money to PBS. This is why I don't watch 30 Rock. And I would wager that more people know Sarah Palin than Tina Fey. Without Palin Fey would be just another obscure comedian struggling to make a living. Perhaps she should try impersonating progressive women, now that is a target rich environment full of stupid females saying all kinds of stupid things.

Posted by: Cpm1 | November 16, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Just more Hollywood drivel - - open their mouth and garbage mentality flows. Gotta jab somebody or they aren't living ! ! !
Next time limit her to her leader's teleprompter.

Posted by: Senior1 | November 16, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I can't help but be reminded of the following:

KING: "...that's it, there are too many notes..."

COURT COMPOSER: "...and just which notes would you have me remove...?"

Posted by: giltemp1 | November 16, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"Was PBS shielding its viewers from Fey's more pointed remarks?"

The left-wing PBS is trying to cover up the innate hatred and intolerance of the left?

It wasn't trying to "shield" its viewers, but rather to protect its government funding by masking their true feelings.

Posted by: malclave | November 16, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I like Tina because she's smart & clever, but I'm tired of "feminists" bashing other women. Tina's remarks weren't feminist, they were partisan. And inappropriate for the venue.
Twitter: @IfSheWereAMan

Posted by: LisaSchaefer | November 16, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, this kind of reporting is what I expect our news media to do. PBS is the network that I would have expected to do this. They could have shaved time off the applause and left her speech alone. How dare PBS edit the speech! This is outrageous!

Thanks Farhi for writing about this. Time to take the issue to PBS.

Posted by: alisha39 | November 16, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

"Without Palin Fey would be just another obscure comedian struggling to make a living. Perhaps she should try impersonating progressive women, now that is a target rich environment full of stupid females saying all kinds of stupid things."

Cpm1,

Posted by: MarkinJC | November 16, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Tina really didn't get to play any warcards at all... or get too grizzly to bear or even pit the bull market against the bear market and see which one kills the economy the fastest...and has the people for dinner...

Posted by: Wildthing1 | November 16, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

MerkinJC,
"But Too Many Fools for Sister Sarah, Michelle Bachmann, Marsha Blackburn, Renee Ellmers, Cynthia Lummis, Ileana Ros-Lentinen, Allen West's gal pal Joyce Kaufman, and Megyn Kelly offer such an endless litany of stupid females saying stupid things, whether in the House of Representatives or on Fox News and talk radio, that it just wouldn't be fair to stop mining this hilarious national resource."
There are only 3 names there that anybody would recognize, so let's stack them up against Blinky Pelosi, Maam Boxer, Michelle Obama, Patty Murray, Joy Behar, Katie Couric, Rachel Maddow, Rosie O'Donnell, and every stupid Hollywood ingenue that supports the progressive cause. The list is an endless feast of stupidity.

Posted by: Cpm1 | November 16, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Tina fey is pure trailor trash just like the rest of hollywood, this includes Bill Mahre, David Lettermen, Jon Stawart,and the rest of the scum who think their comedy is funny. All of hollywood is just a mouth piece for the dirty democrat party who hate Conservetives and strong family values, we kicked your asses in the house, and in 2012 we will kick your no good rotten lying Savior out the White House door, You liberals are nothing but hateful evil minded human feces, and that goes double for hollywood

Posted by: frank1954 | November 16, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin owns Tina Fey.

Posted by: ecartr5 | November 16, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

PBS is just covering their ass. Gotta keep that public funding.

Posted by: GarandFan | November 16, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

This is just Fey trying to perpetuate another myth.

86% of Obama voters believe that Palin said, "I can see Russia from my house." She never said it. Tina Fey said it.

There is no evidence that Palin supported the policy of the city charging rape victims for rape kits.

At most, she signed a city budget that had a policy of trying to get insurance companies to pay for rape kits. There is no knowledge that she even knew about that practice.

Once Palin knew about the policy, she came out against it.

Posted by: HelloDare | November 16, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

It's PBS's broadcast, they can edit any way they want. Ms Fey, however should stop biting the hand that feeds her and being such a you know what to the woman who's helping make her famous and rich. The rape kit bit has been disproven as just another bit of left wing smear tactics just like the quote, actually from ms fey, not Ms Palin that she could see Russia from her house. Palin said you can see Russia from parts of Alaska, which is true,I've seen it. Maybe PBS objected to Ms Fey's outright lies.

Posted by: hdc77494 | November 16, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: afprj | November 16, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Here's some irony for you self proclaimed humor aficionados - If Mark Twain, a Christian, wrote Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer today, the hysterical PC left, including NPR/PBS, would not only not honor him with an award, but would have undoubtedly given him the Juan Williams treatment, then demanded he attend sensitivity training for a week to ten days. For the PC Left to claim the privilege of awarding [like-minded] 'artists' in Twain's own name is pure literary heresy.

Posted by: jenchris99 | November 16, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

A nonpartisan award shouldn't have gone to such an obnoxiously partisan individual. OR she should have had the good grace to lay off the politics and personal insults for at least one night.

Posted by: Peejay | November 17, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

I consider myself a relatively objective person..definately an independant...but an objective independant. So much, in fact, that at one time or another, friends on both sides of the political spectrum "accuse" me of being a democrat or a republican.
Did Tina Fey say anything that wasn't true?
Isn't Sarah Palin against
government health support for rape counselling and most women's health (including rape) issues?
Isn't Sarah Palin against same-sex marriage?
Doesn't Sarah Palin believe in Intelligent Design over Evolution?
Why is this awful hate speech on Fey's part?
Aren't those statements true?
And although she seems like a nice lady, why do conservatives hold Palin up as "The Anointed One?
Didn't they curse Obama supporters as doing the same thing
for someone they considered to be unqualified for office?
And what is this popular yet (seemingly) unfounded obsession with the elitism of Hollywood and celebrity?
What about the views of Charlie Daniels or Jon Voight or Janine Turner?
Oh, but their opinions are O.K. and should be heard according to conservatives because they agree with a right wing point of view.
Could someone please explain the hypocracy here without pointing to one side or the other? Both sides do it. And neither does it more so please don't use that as a tired excuse for an argument. Is this all just a product of human nature? Anyone?

Posted by: mrdgr | November 17, 2010 2:58 AM | Report abuse

"Oh, that's so witty. Sarah Palin, gays, evolution. How original. And telling that joke to a Hollywood crowd - pretty daring eh? A regular Mark Twain, she is."

afprj,

You call that witty? This is the Too Many Fools for Sister Sarah crowd with whom we're attempting to communicate. You must think single syllables and type in crayon, if the latter is possible. Otherwise, it's way (sic) more than her blind followers can handle, you betcha.

Posted by: MarkinJC | November 17, 2010 4:39 AM | Report abuse

Tina Fey has become a one trick pony. She needs to keep hammering Palin to appease her viral liberal fan base…she is so lucky Palin came along otherwise no one would be watching her. PBS should not have censored her remarks; everyone should be able to see what a shrill, mean, phony she is.

Posted by: sdewildt | November 17, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I could care less what Tina Fey says. She just isn't that good. I can't believe she won the Mark Twain award. Twain had a huge body of work and skewered people on all sides of the political spectrum. Fey doesn't come close to that kind of talent. Actually, as another poster said, she's a one trick pony.
All that aside, PBS/NPR should not censor remarks they deem non-PC, no matter whether it's Juan Williams or Tina Fey.

Posted by: deanna1 | November 17, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Mark Twain must be shaking his head and mumbling, 'They're STILL idiots!"

Posted by: damspam | November 17, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Hello. My friend

=== http://www.aeooe.com ===

Dedicated service, the new style, so you feel like a warm autumn!!!

WE ACCEPT PYAPAL PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you !!!

=== http://www.aeooe.com ===

Posted by: mo1592010 | November 17, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments of material will be removed from the site."

I'm waiting to see the slanders, name-calling, and attack posts of the right wingers removed. If people haven't facts and truth on their side, they revert to name-calling and it is not pleasant to see. It's like watching my country implode with the weight of the hatred displayed by the right-wingers who appear to think that "right winger" actually means they are right in their beliefs and rude language.....

Posted by: KhyberPass1 | November 17, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

jenchris99 wrote:
"Here's some irony for you self proclaimed humor aficionados - If Mark Twain, a Christian, wrote Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer today, ...."

Mark Twain a Christian?? Well, yes, sort of, I guess. Twain was a Presbyterian who wrote "if our Maker is all-powerful for good or evil, He is not in His right mind." I assume that you yourself read Huck Finn & Tom Sawyer and somehow came away from that with your own beliefs confirmed. But maybe you need to read a little more Twain. No need to actually buy a book. Just go to these two sites and drink in every word there written by Twain. Then see if you think Mark Twain confirms your beliefs. Here they are, be brave:

The War Prayer

Letters from the Earth

As Mark Twain once said:
"If Christ were here now there is one thing he would not be – a Christian."

Posted by: Steve37 | November 18, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse