Posted at 1:51 PM ET, 02/ 9/2011

First Lady wears $34.95 H&M dress on Today Show

By Katherine Boyle

First Lady Michelle Obama appeared on NBC's "Today" Show this morning to discuss topics ranging from Egypt's uprising to Sasha and Malia's non-existent Facebook accounts.

But the important question: Did she wear an American designer for the show?

The first lady donned a navy polka dot knee-length day dress with a ruffled collar by Swedish retail chain H&M. The dress is part of their current collection and retails for $34.95. She paired the dress with a thick red belt and yellow kitten heels. It appears she did not wear the red sash that accompanies the dress.

The first lady's office didn't comment on who designed her accessories, but confirmed that she was wearing a dress by the fast-fashion retailer H&M.

When asked by "Today" host Matt Lauer about her status as a style icon, she said, "I take it as a compliment. It's not something I focus on... Everybody's got to get dressed in the morning and put on something. I hope people find it nice, but it's not something I focus on."

Yesterday, the First Lady hosted a luncheon for 10 reporters to mark another the one-year anniversary of her "Let's Move" anti-childhood obesity campaign. She wore a dress by American designer Marc Jacobs.

Yesterday, she commented on her "Made in America" controversy to the Chicago Sun Times:

"This is my philosophy. I hope that women learn to wear what they love ... like to patronize American designers, and the vast majority of the clothes that I wear are. But there are a lot of other designers that have cute stuff, too."

Like H&M.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

More on this story:

Michelle Obama's unfolding legacy

Photo gallery: Michelle in motion

Obama on 'Today' show: President doesn't dye his hair

By Katherine Boyle  | February 9, 2011; 1:51 PM ET
Categories:  Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: States start to target arts funding
Next: American History wants your help

Comments

This is a fraud. I keep track of MO's clothes and she buys from upscale French and Italian designers as well as other European and American high-end houses.
That's what Ikram, her high-end Chicago source, supplies for her.

These outfits costs thousands of dollars or more. That is well-established if any reporter would bother to do their homework instead of regurgitating WH spin.

The sheer amount of clothes MO buys is mindboggling and totally unneccesary. Half the outfits are almost identical. She probably has spent a cool half a mil on clothes although they might actually be in all intense in purposes gifts at steep discounts.

Posted by: Dalibama | February 9, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Obama is my hero. How much you pay for a dress or outfit doesn't matter. How well you look in it is what counts. And she looks great in everything she's worn.

Posted by: skinfreak | February 9, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

@Dalibama...Do you have access to the First Lady's clothing account? Why should it concern you?

Posted by: skinfreak | February 9, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

The pro-Michelle O blog, Mrs O Blog, has all the details of what she wears and often links to what it costs. The Indian State Dinner gown cost $14,000 for example.

It matters because the Obamas portray themselves as nonelitists when the opposite is true. I think it's a cynical deception just like this $35 dress. Have you forgotten about her extravagant Spanish trip?

If you're an Obama sycophant then no amount of hypocrisy will matter to you.

Posted by: Dalibama | February 9, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

The dress looks every bit of the $35 her handlers paid for it. Why she reminds me of Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posted by: mpg515 | February 9, 2011 7:49 PM | Report abuse

The fact that they even mentioned the price of her dress only proves how hypocritical the obamas are.

Posted by: highwaybluesoccer | February 9, 2011 7:49 PM | Report abuse

She's the First Lady of the United States, for God's sakes. She can wear whatever she damn well pleases.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | February 9, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Who ever dressed this woman today either is color blind or they really need glasses!!! Black & white dress,pink belt and ugly green shoes! Surely our money can buy better than that! The dress looked like she pulled it out of the laundry basket.. Classy real classy for a first lady!

Posted by: releggneh1 | February 9, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

dalibama -- it's "intents and purposes"

Posted by: loislayne83 | February 9, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

"If you're an Obama sycophant then no amount of hypocrisy will matter to you.
Posted by: Dalibama

And if you have the opinion of a bigot, no amount of facts will matter to you.

Posted by: Rudesan | February 9, 2011 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Lois, I didn't go to Harvard, yet amazingly, I don't drop my Gs or say me and Barack.

Posted by: Dalibama | February 9, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Lois, I didn't go to Harvard, yet amazingly, I don't drop my Gs ...

Posted by: Dalibama

So this isn't Sarah Palin then... ok, I'll keep guessing...

Posted by: Rachelva | February 9, 2011 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where Mrs. Obama purchased the beautiful white dress she wore the night of the State of the Union address?

Posted by: cricket35 | February 9, 2011 11:37 PM | Report abuse

cali_snowboarder, you are SO right. Michelle Obama can wear whatever she pleases (just like the rest of us, I might add).

Posted by: mbrumble | February 10, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I had hoped she had lost this "thick belt" affectation, it is really pretty hideous and not flattering. 9 times out of 10 I don't think her ensembles work and that she looks awkward in them, very typical of female lawyers. The vintage Norell was her best loook as far as I am concerned and I did think the red gown for the Chinnese State Dinner was a hit. Michelle is a work in progress but she is mostly getting better. Loose the thick belts Michelle, it never worked and now it is cliche.

Posted by: SoCali | February 10, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Am i mistaken or didnt the writer's mention the price of the dress. She didnt go on T.V and say i'm wearing a $35 dress.
she just wore wth she wanted and just like it was said before. She can do that !!
The obama's are no different than any of the other first families. Thy spend ridiculous amounts of money for things we would never consider. Im sure Barbara and Laura did the same thing. People just look for reasons to hate.Acting like you can really track the clothes the first lady wears and price them all. Ridiculous !

Posted by: cwbysmith | February 10, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Dalibama, did you ever care how much Laura Bush paid for her Oscar Dela Renta suits and gowns? Mrs. Obama and the President pay for her clothes, and her private vacations, no discounts. Actually, all First Ladies have paid for their clothes. Most people don't know that all First Family even pay for their personal food and all other personal items in the White House. To the best of my historical knowledge, the only first lady to get borrowed and/or discounted clothes was Nancy Reagan. The public backlash, caused Mrs. Reagan to discontinue the practice. One does not have to be an Obama sycophant to simply be fair and not have a double standard. All first ladies spend a lot of money on clothes, for better or worse it comes with the job. Mrs. Obama, has simply gotten more attention than recent First Ladies because she's been more fashion forward. Its not a question of being elitist or not, Presidents and First Ladies are not regular people, and it would do us well to stop pretending that they are. They are usually highly accomplished and often pretty well off and even when modest, their lifestyles are usaully more lavish than most Americans. Quite frankly, I don't want my President and First Lady (Democrat or Republican) to be "regular" people if that means being anything like the ignorant, uninformed, mean spirited folk who post comments on this and other sites. Actually, I would hope that Americans would want their First Lady to be glamourous and wear beautiful clothes since she does represent the country, like it or not.

Posted by: youngjo381 | February 11, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow it is crazy but people are selling this H&M dress on ebay!!! Under the search feature on ebay you can run a seller search for the two people that are selling them:

Zastor

and

pointe-dancer5678

It is crazy but I guess that this is the dress to have and since the stores are out ebay is the only way to get it!

Posted by: blue12345765 | February 12, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse