On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Mets II (Oh, No, Not Again!)

After last night's 10th inning defeat when Luis Ayala gave up three runs in the 10th to the Cubs, Mets manager Jerry Manuel sent all the wrong messages with his post-game comments. Typical was: "It is critical that we do a better job...At this juncture, it was probably our toughest defeat."
You want to deflate pressure, not use pressurized words like "critical." In an attempt to be up-front about the stakes, he instead made the stakes seem even bigger. That doesn't usually work. Although in a four-day season, anybody can survive for 100 hours.
In the first inning tonight, Pedro Martinez gave up two runs on a homer, a walk, two hits and needed 26 pitches. He never topped 87 m.p.h. For the Cubs: Rich Harden.
Uh oh?

By Thomas Boswell  |  September 25, 2008; 7:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Looking Ahead to Tonight: The Brewers' Hail Mary
Next: The Late Show

Comments

It's really tough for a long time Pedro fan to see what he has become. This guy pitched 3 of the top 10 best single seasons ever (in terms of ERA+). I forget who the Red Sox took with the compensation picks for him in the 2005 draft. It may have been Craig Hansen (#17 that year), plus one of Lowrie, Buchholz, or Bowden. Mets really only got one year of Pedro-worthy performance out of the deal. Head says the Red Sox were wise, but heart says I would have wanted him for 2005 and then retired.

Posted by: PTBNL | September 25, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Something interesting through 4 innings in Boston.

Sorry, Natsfan1a.

Posted by: Sssshhhh . . . | September 25, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

hmmmm, I think that I get your drift...

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 25, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Yup - that's what I thought. Also, hey, Jamey gets a start! I miss him.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 25, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

No longer interesting. Barfield double in the top of the 6th. would have been Lester's second this year.

Posted by: PTBNL | September 25, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I can see why you miss Jamey.

Posted by: PTBNL | September 25, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I remember that - great story.

I guess that I'm just a sucker for a versatile utility guy (I love Willie Harris, too).

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 25, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Mets win, Bos. I guess Jerry knows his team, and what to say, better than you do.

Posted by: bmfc1 | September 25, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

bmfc1 - assuming there is an immediate correlation between managerial speech and subsequent player performance is a fairly paternalistic view, no?

Posted by: natty bumppo | September 26, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse