On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Advantage, Phillies?

With the conclusion of Game 5 being postponed until Wednesday night, it sets up a scenario that if the World Series were to go seven games, it would be played on Friday night at Tropicana Field. This could set the stage for another Cole Hamels start, who would be working on three days' rest.

Hamels did not pitch on three days' rest all season. But given the fact he only threw 75 pitches on Monday, wouldn't the Phillies turn to their ace instead of 45-year-old Jamie Moyer?

Your thoughts?

By Tom Heleba  |  October 28, 2008; 5:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 5 Will Be Wednesday (Update)
Next: Pitching Strategy From the Get-Go

Comments

I just want to register my complete and total disgust for the Rays and their lack of hustle in last night's game. It's the first things you teach kids in Little League, to hustle, and these spoiled punks won't even do it. Is anyone else as outraged as me? I was on the fence before seeing that, but now let's go Phillies!

Posted by: avogt2 | October 28, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

We must have been watching different games, because I did not have that impression.

BTW, the local weather guys just said that tonight's forecast for Philly is clear.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 28, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

why are we all talking like the Phils are going to lose game 5?

Remember, there are still 3 innings left.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | October 28, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what the source of your "impression" was, but Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena, and Rocco Baldelli each failed to hustle on plays that could have made a significant difference in the game. Crawford on Rollins' bobble, Pena on his drive to right that Werth didn't catch and Baldelli on the popup that was dropped. I've been pulling for the rays throughout the playoffs, but they can go to hell.

Posted by: avogt2 | October 28, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

avogt2, I'll give Crawford the benefit of the doubt. That ball was caught, and then dropped. On a line drive right at the SS like that there's no need to go full speed and potentially pull something in that miserable weather.

I don't remember Pena's drive to right, so that could be the case.

And Baldelli, is that the one where the ball started out in the outfield, and then evaded Rollins' grandma basket catch in the infield dirt? If so, I guess Baldelli could have gone to second, but I raise the same point as above. On a seemingly easy out, why risk injury (especially Baldelli who has whatever it is wrong with him).

I love the Rays for their hustle, and if I saw a lack of it, I would be like-minded, but I haven't seen it (except out of BJ Upton sometimes).

Posted by: NattyDelite | October 28, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

They'll DEFINITELY go with Hamels, Heleebs.
It's in the Bag

Posted by: NEPhillyDude | October 29, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Apparently not.

Try bran muffins, btw, and get plenty of liquids.

**********
Is anyone else as outraged as me?

Posted by: avogt2 | October 28, 2008 6:14 PM