On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Uecker Gets First Pitch Honors

Mr. Baseball, Bob Uecker, will throw out the first pitch before Game 3 of the Brewers-Phillies series tomorrow in Milwaukee. He's been the Brewers' radio voice for 38 seasons.

Let's say, just for fun, that the Nats were making their first postseason appearance this fall. Who would you want to throw that ceremonial pitch? Frank Robinson? Teddy Roosevelt? Barry Svrluga?

By Tracee Hamilton  |  October 3, 2008; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Brewers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game Times Announced
Next: Lineups from LaLa Land

Comments

Broadcaster Phil Woods; he's done more to keep the spark of baseball alive in this area than anyone whose name isn't spelled "B-O-S-W-E-L-L".

Posted by: Sec 222 Upper Half | October 3, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

That's easy. Hondo.

Tracee, it's great to see that some of the baseball editors are getting involved with this blog along with the writers. The blog generally is an excellent new project. I hope you and your fellow editors are going to start contributing to Chico's blog as well with Nats news and the like, similar to what they do with RI. Thanks!

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | October 3, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Of course, Hondo! (And yes, Boz, Tom and I -- and probably Dave at times -- will be joining in on Nats Journal in the future.)

Posted by: Tracee | October 3, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Youppi! would be my choice ...

Posted by: e | October 3, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Ueck's pitch will be (all together now): Juuuust a bit outside...

I wasn't in DC back in the day but Hondo works for me. hmmm, or maybe a Povich family member? Just a thought.

Would also be happy to see Tracee and other scribes over on NJ.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

1st Game @home - Hondo
2nd Game - CHARLIE AND DAVE!

Bang Zoom go the fireworks
Another Curly W is in the books!

Man, I miss hearing that since 3WP went to AM.

Posted by: CALSGR8 | October 3, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

hmmm, Charlie & Dave - I like it!

The AM signal is awful here as well, though I was able to pick up a very scratchy signal with a portable world-band radio.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

hondo, frank robinson.

jose guillen only if it was a world series game against mike scoscia and the Angels.

Posted by: snarkout | October 3, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Tracee, that is great to hear. I look forward to it.

I think Walter Johnson's grandson gets the nod for the game 2 honors. I might save him for the NLCS or World Series, but that would be a bit presumptuous. (Daydreaming about this stuff is fun!)

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | October 3, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Just to clear this up, there's no honorarium that goes with this first pitch thing, right?

And if I pick Charlie, I wouldn't have to give up a comp ticket for his family, would I?

Posted by: Fake Uncle Teddy | October 3, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I'd pick Frank Robinson, our first manager of the reborn Nationals. It's the least we can do for the guy.

Posted by: BaseballinDC | October 3, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Youppi's good, but how about Brad Wilkerson, assuming he's not busy with another team in the playoffs.

Wilkie was "the last Expo" -- the last person to wear an Expos uniform in an official game (as part of a post 2004-season MLB tour of Japan) and "the first National" as leadoff hitter at 2005's Opening Day in Philadelphia. He got the Nats' first hit on that at-bat as well.

Posted by: Was In Section 502 | October 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The cryogenically frozen head of Ted Williams!

Posted by: junkbucket | October 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

How about Mayor fer Life, Marion Berry?

Posted by: hmmmm | October 3, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"(And yes, Boz, Tom and I -- and probably Dave at times -- will be joining in on Nats Journal in the future.)

Posted by: Tracee | October 3, 2008 10:37 AM "

Boswell needs to be sent on an extensive rehab assignment to P-Nats Journal first.

Posted by: tell him they have ample free parking there, that will help him weather the change | October 3, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Hee hee - not that we are holding a grudge or anything.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Knowing DC, it would probably be Joe Gibbs.

(Just the thought of that makes me cringe, but I wouldn't put it past 'em...)

Posted by: Juan-John | October 3, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

That's easy! It's our man CLINT!!!

[ducking]

Posted by: 220 | October 3, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

What am I, chopped liver? (and DON'T say Pâté de Foie Gras)

Posted by: Screech | October 3, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I too vote for Frank Howard. It has to be someone who supported Washington baseball in both goodtimes and bad. Too many scribes take too many pot-shots calling too many people failures for them to be honored in any way.

Posted by: The Beltway Boy | October 3, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

My first reaction was to say Hondo... my childhood hero...

But... the more satisfying might be Dick Bosman.

Posted by: Wigi | October 3, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

First name that leapt to mind. Has to be Frank Howard. For all of us of any age were cheering the Senators.

Posted by: meg&cates dad | October 3, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Hondo, Bosman, Woods or Charlie!

There we have all four games of our first World Series covered.

Posted by: Section 307 | October 3, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

To the chagrin of anyone actually trying to get through the gates, it may well be the president.
Then there will be a stretch of those responsible for bringing baseball to DC.
Wouldn't mind seeing Frank Robinson getting a toss.
I'm betting that for former players, Livan isn't out of the picture. Then again, he might take the ball and pitch the next 7 innings (sure he'd give up 4-5 runs, but we've seen worse this postseason already).

Posted by: Sactown | October 3, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

JimBo would probably want Gary Majewski.

SoCH would want Galarraga.

LAC would say they'll choose someone pitching for the major league minimum.

O's Exec would say Frank Robinson, but not for the reason everyone else would.

Brian would name an obscure 16 year old on the DSL roster.

I'll go with WMP because he is unlikely to be in the line-up.

But honestly, how could it be anyone but Frank Howard? No pols, please.

Posted by: PTBNL | October 3, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

yep, hands down, hasta be hondo.

Posted by: natty bumppo | October 3, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse