On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Philadelphia: World Series-bound

With an emphatic 5-1 win tonight at Dodger Stadium, the Phillies have won this series 4-1 and are heading to the World Series. Cole Hamels pitched seven ace-worthy innings (five hits, one run), protecting an early lead that built just eight pitches into the game when Jimmy Rollins led off with a homer.

This series, the Phils out-played the Dodgers in almost every facet. They had better pitching, better depth, even better managing. (The decision to save Hamels for Game 5 worked perfectly.)

The Phillies, who haven't been to the World Series since 1993, now await the winner of the Boston-Tampa Bay ALCS.

This particular game was almost never in doubt. Los Angeles starter Chad Billingsley was chased after 2-2/3 innings, and though he was charged with just three runs, he never found his control. He walked four, and two of his walks in the third led to Philadelphia's second and third runs. Three errors -- yes, three -- by SS Rafeal Furcal in the fifth aided two final Phillies runs. And just a minute ago, still-perfect closer Brad Lidge shut things down in the ninth, touching off the on-field celebration.

Time for the bubbly. October, for the Phils, continues.

By Chico Harlan  |  October 15, 2008; 11:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At Stake For Billingsley
Next: Hamels Was Great, But He Can Be Even Better

Comments

Oh, Lord, I abhor the Phillies.

Primarily because of how their obnoxious, boorish fans behave when they invade Nationals Park.

So I'm going to be selfish and cheer for the American League champion (Rays or Sox) because I can't bear to think what next summer on South Capitol St. would be like if those uncouth barbarians from eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey have a world title to inappropriately act up about.

Posted by: Sec 222, Upper Half | October 16, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you, 222 (full disclosure: I've been rooting for the Rays to go all the way since early this year).

On a somewhat related note, I realize that there are those who advocate rooting for one's division when they are in the race, but I don't have it in me to root for a division rival after rooting against them during the regular season year after year (particularly when it's the Mets or the Phillies).

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 16, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I had a Philles fan at the office gloat via email when his team snapped the Nats' modest seven-game winning streak. I vowed then to root against them to the bitter end.

That said, can't say I'm looking forward to watching the Rays and Phillies pound out slugfest after slugfest in the Series ... I might have to let my wife have the remote back.

Posted by: Rooting for Phailure | October 16, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 16, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I never see Cubs fans rooting for the Cardinals (or Mets, even after all this time). Nobody hates the Dodgers more than Giants fans. So I wouldn't sweat it, 1a.

**********
[T]here are those who advocate rooting for one's division when they are in the race, but I don't have it in me to root for a division rival after rooting against them during the regular season year after year (particularly when it's the Mets or the Phillies).

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 16, 2008 9:36 AM

Posted by: CE | October 16, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The Lerners could buy LOTS of fans, but nooooooooooooooo ...

**********
Maybe the Phillies could buy some fan love ...

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 16, 2008 10:19 AM

Posted by: Elwood | October 16, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ce. You're funny, Elwood.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 16, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Can't root with the Phreakin' Phans of Filadelfia phor that team. No way. It's like rooting for the Cowboys. It's just against all the laws of nature. Besides - 9 games with the NL champions would be bad enough...ALL the games with them will probably become "Prime Games" now.

Phans make Mets fans look tame and well behaved by comparison.

Posted by: Pitch Inside | October 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the hate from one of the most mediocre sports towns in the country. There has been little consistency here other than disappointing season after disappointing season with fans jumping ship quicker than Leo off the Titanic. One thing I will say about Philly fans, hated or not, they stick by their teams through thick and thin. They may hate through the bad times but they will never turn their back. That town deserves a championship!

Lets Go Phils!!!!