On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Post Predictions ... Unpredictable

This is why the notion of vast media conspiracies is so laughable. You can barely get TWO journalists to agree on anything -- even postseason predictions.

I can understand not picking the Cubs, to whom history has not been kind. But the Brewers imploded, fired their manager and needed the Mets to choke -- and still they get a postseason nod from Tom Heleba. The White Sox have to be beat, and they open on the road against the team with the best home record in baseball -- but Chico Harlan likes 'em. The Angels and Red Sox seem anything but evenly matched on paper -- but they don't play 'em on paper.

So here's how the Baseball Insider Bunch sees it:

Chico Harlan: Cubs, Phillies, Angels, White Sox
Dave Sheinin: Cubs, Phillies, Red Sox, Rays
Tom Heleba: Dodgers, Brewers, Red Sox, Rays
Tom Boswell: Cubs, Phillies, Angels, Rays

Marc Carig is somewhere over America, probably on Southwest, heading for the Angels-Sox opener. Perhaps his picks will match someone else's. But I doubt it.

So ... who do you like? Try out our new polling tool, Predictify, and log your vote. Note: when you vote for the first time, Predictify requires (pretty simple) registration. The upside is it tracks and ranks all users' predictions over time -- so if you're good, people will know.

Rays vs. White Sox

Angels vs. Red Sox

Brewers vs. Phillies

Cubs vs. Dodgers

By Tracee Hamilton  |  October 1, 2008; 10:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cashman Gets 3-Year Deal
Next: As We Await the First Pitch of the Postseason

Comments

Here's my battle-tested way of selecting the final four:

Eeenie-meenie-miney-moe...

Posted by: Juan-John | October 1, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I prefer the coin toss.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 1, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Awe, c'mon. The die-hard BoSox fan says the pitching is even and the Sox have the better offense, so I go with the Red Sox in 4. Regular season me no regular season.

Rays - ChiSox: No real grudge against the Rays. Always looked forward to seeing them at Camden Yards due to the young talent. I'm very worried about Kazmir, though. Two good home clubs. I think Ozzie pulled a sharp one starting Vazquez game 1 vs. Shields. They were going to lose that anyway. I assume it is Floyd vs. Kazmir game 2. I think the ChiSox win that one, take 2 at home, and get by in 4 games.

NL - Milwaukee over the Phils, Cubs over the Dodgers. Starting pitching.

Posted by: PTBNL | October 1, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Brewers have some great pitching to throw at you, especially given the growing tendancy league-wide to throw guys out there on short rest.

A Cubs/Brewers NLCS could be wonderful.

My heart says Heleba is right, but my head says Harlan or Boswell.

No offense, Boom Boom.

Posted by: John in Mpls | October 1, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Score one for Boswell...Rays, Angels, Phillies and Cubs.

Posted by: BaseballinDC | October 1, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Totally biased, but not entirely unrealistic choice- Dodgers over Cubs in five.
Phils over the Brewers in four, with the over/under on the amount of brats w/red sauce consummed by Charlie Manuel in his visit to Milw. at eight.
The reason of Joe Maddon and the youthful exuberance of the Rays over the rage of Ozzie Guillen and the power of the Sox in four.
Angels over Sox in five (Manny gets the last laugh and none of us have to suffer through another Papelbon-post victory dance).

Posted by: Va Dodger | October 1, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Tom Heleba is out to lunch on this one.

The Cubs have Lou Piniella. Cubs dispatch LA and steal series from Phillies.

Posted by: HVJ | October 1, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I have a hunch the Dodgers will knock off the Cubs in 4, the Brewers win in 5, Tampa Bay in 4, and the Sox in 3. Honestly as long as the Cubs don't win, I will be happy to see any other team win!!!!

Posted by: Weinfurter - Milwaukee | October 1, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Before I can evaluate Tom Boswell's picks, I neec to know this: Did he pick the Potomac Nationals to go all the way this year or not?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Potomac who??

Posted by: NR Boz | October 1, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm going with the following:

Red Sox over Angels in 5

Phillies over Brew in 5
- J-Roll, Ut, and R-How mash
- CC wears down

Posted by: Oracle | October 1, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Cubs

Posted by: Cubs | October 1, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

...are we supposed to respond with an adjective for said team?

Posted by: Cubs | October 1, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Vast Media Conspiracy = Jimmy Rollins 2007 NL MVP

Proof.

Posted by: Chris | October 1, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

LDS: Phils, Cubs, Rays, Angels
LCS: Phils, Angels
WS: Angels over Phils in 6.

Posted by: Vincent | October 1, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Cubs in 5...pitching too strong and one of, if not the most balanced lineup in the playoffs.

Posted by: Dallasinthehouse | October 1, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Nor can one "barely" find a sports writer who can avoid double negatives. Come on people; have we no expectations for decent writing when it comes to sports?

Posted by: Tara | October 1, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm taking Dodgers and Angels - the freeway series!

Posted by: Oren | October 1, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

As to sports and predictions the reporter has a valid point - but as to politics no one with a double digit IQ and the ability to read or see or listen to the media would not laugh at the idea that the media is not controlled - not by left or right - but by the Corporate Board Room and its control of all management and managements control of what stories get printed or air time and which do not - and on who stays on staff. Reporters tend left but the media outlets output always varies from far right to far far right reflecting the domination in the media Board Room of conservatives with the occasional "liberal" like Krugman allowed to publish "opinion" pieces. There is no conspiracy - it is just corporate control and folks on staff with mortgages that want the current paycheck to continue. Only on the internet with its near zero cost of entry can one find stories of errors by those that media has blessed and therefore about whom the media has chosen to not publish unkind stories. As for opinion that is left of far right - and far far right - the internet gives thousands of choices to read/hear non far right stories to every rare expression in the corporate media of stories trying to do good for the "public common" - see discussions about the obvious desperate need - single payer National Health - Medicare for everyone - that saves the nation 30% of the current dollars spent in this area while perhaps moving our ranking on care of our population for 30 plus spots from the top for industrial nations to perhaps EU standards - the EU where there is national health. No Media conspiracy - just one set of corporations - media - protecting another set of corporations - the health insurance companies.

Go Cubs!

Posted by: papau | October 1, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm saying this, but, IN FAIRNESS TO DICKIE V, he's actually not a front runner on this. He was always ago to interview on out of town TV at Rays games because he was someone people knew who was there. He's had tickets I think since they showed up. The other guy I'm happy for is the loud mouth who razzes one opponent every game. He actually has a sense of humor and is liked by most opponents. As for the rest of the bandwagoners, their attendance was worse than the Nats. Nuff said.

Posted by: PTBNL | October 1, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't know how many Tampa Bay bandwagon fans there are what with that low attendance and as well as they've been doing this season.

Speaking for myself, I always root for the underdog in the postseason if I don't have a dog in the hunt. So Rays it is for me. BTW, the heckling Rays fan was featured in a recent issue of SABR's National Pastime.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 1, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, not exactly featured. He was included in an article about heckling.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 1, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

dont trust chicos pick, he has no idea how to judge good teams

Posted by: love | October 1, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

By now I'm already off to a slow start, but two days ago, I was thinking this:
Rays v. CWS - Age and Treachery 3, Youth and Skill 2.
LAAA v. BRS - Angels in 2. CORRECTION: Angels in 5.
Brewers v. Phillies - Can CC pitch on one day's rest? No? OK, Phillies in 4, then.
Cubs v. LA -- In a just universe, it would be Cubs in 4. This ain't a just universe. Dodgers in 5, with some Serling-esque Cubs crash as a pivot, or at least extra innings in game 5 and a home run by, oh I dunno, Pablo Ozuna.

Posted by: CE | October 2, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse