On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

To Refresh Your Memories...

When the resumption of Game 5 of the World Series gets underway, about two hours from now, a yet-to-be-named pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays will throw the game's 188th pitch to a yet-to-be-named batter for the Philadelphia Phillies. It will be the bottom of the sixth inning.

Rays Manager Joe Maddon is keeping his plans guarded, understandably, except to say RHP Grant Balfour will "start" the game. That doesn't mean Balfour will throw a pitch -- only that he will be announced as the pitcher. Phillies Manager Charlie Manuel also has not said who will be his pinch-hitter for Cole Hamels, who is scheduled to lead off the bottom of the sixth. Depending upon whom the Phillies send to the plate, Maddon may make an immediate pitching change. (Or maybe not, since the pitcher's spot for the Rays comes up fourth in the top of the seventh.)

(Other things still to be determined: Will there be a national anthem? Will beer sales be cut off in the seventh inning? The mind reels....)

However, Manuel did reveal one thing: RHP Ryan Madson will be his next pitcher. As I argued a couple of posts down, this is a good call, as Madson is their best set-up reliever (1.50 ERA in the postseason, 0.64 ERA in September) and is capable of pitching a couple of innings. (In fact, he pitched two-plus innings on 15 different occasions this season.)

Now then... Here are the current lineups, with an asterisk (*) next to the spot in the order due up next:

Rays:

Pat Burrell (R) - 7
Shane Victorino (S) - 8
Pedro Feliz (R) - 5
Carlos Ruiz (R) - 2
*Cole Hamels (L) - 1

By Dave Sheinin  |  October 29, 2008; 6:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: If I'm Managing, I Go With Price, Madson
Next: Is Hamels the Real MVP?

Comments

Should you need further refreshing, the game up to the suspension is currently being re-broadcast on the MLB site:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 29, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Good question on wondering if there will be a National Anthem!

Posted by: misschatter | October 29, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I love Rockin' Rocco from Rhode Island!

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | October 29, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and who was the idiot who said this was the "ideal" situation (oh, I just see who wrote that on the last post):

"I think perhaps the use of Madson v. other relievers depends on whether the Phils grab the lead in the bottom of the 6th. Ideally, grab a lead, try to get an inning plus out of Madson, with maybe Romero matching up vs. a lefty or two, then Lidge to close."

Also, Maddon probably had it right to try to get around the pitcher's spot in the order before using Price. There, I've jinxed that move, too.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | October 29, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Good (half-)game it was. And tho I was rootin' fer the Rays, I can't complain. They gave it all they had, but it's been obvious the last three games that their tank was empty. Guess beating the Dread Sox just took too much gas. They fought right down to the last at-bat, and they didn't embarrass themselves (unlike a few umpires I could mention). Well done, and congrats to the Phightin' Phils! Now, can you Phillies Phans be a little more POLITE at the Nats games next year???

Posted by: MikeH0714 | October 29, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you re. Rocco, jca. What a great story! I'm happy for him that he was able to play (and have a couple of starts) for his Rays in the postseason.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 30, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 30, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 30, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I TOLD YOU SO.
I CALLED IT BEFORE THE SERIES STARTED:

"I would like to thank all of you "experts" for picking the Rays. I was worried about the Phils feeling the pressure of being the "favorite". I hope that every other sports writer in America also picks the Rays. And what a sexy pick they are. A true fairy tale story.

Trouble is - it ain't going to happen. The Phils have the depth, experience, better pitching staff, better pullpen, dominant closer, power off the bench (stairs) to take it all the way. Also, the DH favors the Phils in this match-up. Now, Greg Dobbs can get some AB's. And now, they won't be "pressing" as the favorite. Everyone also picked the Dodgers after they swept the Cubs...we know how that ended.

Phils in 5 - they wrap it up at home for the long-suffering fans. Thanks again for picking against them! We appreciate it!"

Posted by: PhilliePhan | October 21, 2008 4:34 PM

Posted by: PhilliesPhan | October 30, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Nice job, PP. I had the series going 5, but the wrong team.

Curiously, but for all the hype about interleague, division strength, etc..., none of the columnists bought into the straight Pythagorean record as an indicator of strength. Rays were good at 92, Phils were better at 93. Everyone discounted that due to the Phils division and interleague record, but they did what they had to do in TB (split), won the one blow out, and got the close games to the better bullpen. Kudos.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | October 30, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse