On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Alex Rodriguez Confirms Steroids Report [Updated]

Alex Rodriguez acknowledged today using steroids while with the Texas Rangers, saying he did so because of the pressure to live up to his $252 million contract with the Rangers before the 2001 season.

Rodriguez admitted using performance-enhancing drugs in an interview with ESPN's Peter Gammons which will air in full on the sports network at 6 p.m.

Rodriguez appeared contrite but composed, and he apologized multiple times.

"Back then it was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young. I was stupid," he said. "I was naive, and I wanted to prove to everyone that, you know, I was worth, you know ... and being one of the greatest players of all time."

Rodriguez indicated he used the drugs during all three of his seasons in Texas. Pressing him on the time frame, Gammons asked whether Rodriguez was saying he used steroids in 2001, 2002 and 2003, and Rodriguez answered, "That's pretty accurate, yes."

When Gammons asked what substances he used, Rodriguez said, "To be quite honest, I don't know exactly what substance I was guilty of using."

On Saturday, Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 and was one of 104 players who tested positive during baseball's survey testing that season. The test results were not subject to discipline and were supposed to remain anonymous.

Today's Associated Press report included this quote from Rodriguez's ESPN interview:

And I did take a banned substance and, you know, for that I'm very sorry and deeply regretful. And although it was the culture back then and Major League Baseball overall was very ... I just feel that ... You know, I'm just sorry. I'm sorry for that time. I'm sorry to fans. I'm sorry for my fans in Texas. It wasn't until then that I ever thought about substance of any kind, and since then I've proved to myself and to everyone that I don't need any of that.

Rodriguez, 33, has been considered the active player most likely to break Barry Bonds's all-time home run record. Bonds hit 762 homers; Rodriguez is 12th on the all-time list at 553.

More from the AP report:

In his 2008 book, "Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and The Battle to Save Baseball," Jose Canseco claimed he introduced Rodriguez to a steroids dealer. Canseco, who has admitted using steroids, subsequently said he had no knowledge of any drug use by Rodriguez.
"They are looking in the wrong places," Canseco said in a text message to The Associated Press. "This is a 25-year cover-up. The true criminals are Gene Orza, (union head) Donald Fehr and (commissioner) Bud (Selig). Investigate them, and you will have all the answers."

After the Mitchell Report on performance-enhancing drug use in baseball was released in December 2007, Rodriguez flatly denied using steroids, human growth hormone or any other similar substance during an interview with CBS's "60 Minutes."

Since then, all-stars Jason Giambi and Andy Pettitte have confessed to using performance-enhancing drugs. Many other players have denied any use.

Bonds is scheduled for trial next month on charges he lied when he told a grand jury in 2003 that he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs.

Roger Clemens is under investigation for lying to Congress by a federal grand jury. The investigation is examining his testimony to a congressional committee last year in which he denied using steroids and human growth hormone.

By Dave Sheinin  |  February 9, 2009; 4:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Two Minor Signings of Significance
Next: Union Addresses Key Question in A-Rod Affair

Comments

Boycott professional sports, please.

Posted by: distance88 | February 9, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

It shouldn't surprise anyone that A-Fraud would do something like this. I'm impressed he actually admitted to it, unlike Clemens or Bonds. However, he should have come clean way way before being confronted by it now.

Posted by: jetfan85 | February 9, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

If that's what he did to justify the Rangers' contract, what's he been up to justify the Yankee money???

Posted by: fmjk | February 9, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

first??

are we even surprised anymore with pro baseball - sigh..

Posted by: Stevida | February 9, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I commend Mr. Rodriguez for his honesty, belated though it is. If only Roger Clemens, et al, would be so forthcoming!

Posted by: mrobertb | February 9, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

This is breaking news? I don't think so.

Posted by: AndrearKline | February 9, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Thus the further decline of the "national" pastime. The 2009 season's going to be a joy. (Perhaps I'm melancholic only because I'm in Pittsburgh and have to suffer through another year with the Pirates).

Posted by: srpinpgh | February 9, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

No, being "naive" is a 23 yr old swimmer at a private party toking up on a bong and not believing some a-hole would snap his pic and sell it for a small fortune.

The hypocrisy of the Sports press over this and Phelps' use of weed will be astounding.

Posted by: B-rod | February 9, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

""I'm guilty of being negligent, naive" He's also guilty of lying, cheating, illegal drug use, dangerous drug use (maybe that's not a crime), not that he's admitting to any of that.

Posted by: epittelkau | February 9, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Rodriguez is a standup guy like Obama.

He is not like Clemens, Bonds, or Rose.

So there.

Hah!

Posted by: bs2004 | February 9, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, some honesty for a change. So I guess we will see an asterisk by all of his records. Is there anyone clean in baseball? Now we will always question whether or not records were broken fairly. I guess the superstars of old records are so hard to break, players have to cheat to even come close. Baseball, sports in general, needs to sit down the players and have a character talk.

Posted by: dho7993186 | February 9, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Madonna is more of a man than he is. He's not naive, he's stupid!

Posted by: g8rsig1 | February 9, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

A couple of things are curious:
1) Why would he admit to using steroids in 2001-02?
2) He has had some monster years since '03. Are we to presume that he went on the straight and narrow since testing positive?

Posted by: dclifer | February 9, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"However, he should have come clean way way before being confronted by it now."

That's what most people say. It's easy to feel that way, and is the ethical approach. I also feel any steroid use is sending the wrong message to kids due to the health concerns, and it's an unfair and unlevel playing field with justification for asterisks next to any record associated with a juiced athlete.

However, in this specific instance he tested positive in what was supposed to be an anonymous test that was leaked illegally to the public. MLB should have known how dangerous such a list would be in the wrong hands and should have burned the testing materials right then and there.

Rodriguez was one of roughly 104 MLB players who all tested positive. And he had no legal obligation or requirement to reveal OR conceal anything as were the criteria for that testing program which was intended not to punish or single anyone out, but let MLB baseball know the seriousness of steroid use in their league.

Should Rodriguez have spoken out anyway, even if not asked to or named in any book, media report or heresay document? Ethically speaking, yes. But if you hold him accountable, so should you equally hold all 104 of the others who tested positive. The truth is, he did what anyone else would have done!

Even though anyone who decides not to self incriminate might be construed as immoral or any other descriptors that evoke shame or nefarious intent, that's how our system works and I can't blame him for that.

I do blame him for using the drugs, not asking the right questions, and succumbing naively to peer pressure as a young player. He's of poor character.

As are all 104 other players, and all the big names, and even Conseco. That's why they call it the Steroid Era. Now let's move on, fix the problem, and continue the game. What happened to Rodriguez really is old news.

-jim

Posted by: JimGoldbloom1 | February 9, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this the same dipstick who swore up and down that he was innocent? Didn't he lie to federal investigators. A-Hole needs to do some hard time in the slammer.
If anyone is interested in supporting real baseball, please go to a Little League game and chip in to your local program. It's free and it doesn't support the disgusting life styles of liars such as A-Hole.

Posted by: mikie44 | February 9, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

If he can hold the revelations to this, and he performs at a super star level the next four or five years, he could be the first survivor. I don't think Bonds, Clemens and/or McGuire are getting into the Hall without buying a ticket, but Rodriguez has a chance to lay down a body of work created after heightened testing. Plus, if Sports Illustrated outs another 104 significant names, they strengthen the argument that in those years a player had to use dope to compete on an even playing field.

But, he would have to be clean from '03 forward.

Posted by: advocate2 | February 9, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Boycott professional sports, please.

Posted by: distance88
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe? After we boycott government. Do you know you just elected an admitted illegal drug user as POTUS. An ex-drunk who played McGwire and didn't admit or deny before Obama. Three tax cheats appointed to Secretaries too the president and one of them in charge of our economy.We did boycott two of them.
Yep let's boycott a game, but leave the corrupt government intact.
An illegal drug user can get elected president, but a home run slugger, McGuire, who never used illegal drugs, can't get elected to the Hall of Fame.
Go figure.
I'm sure 80% or more of Fame voters probably voted for or donated too an illegal drug user for POTUS.
When a game requires more character than government, our country has gone down the toilet?

Posted by: bnw173 | February 9, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not exactly sure why, but I feel a bit better about A-Rod now than before this confession. From the 10year/$250 million contract, all of his image conscious interviews and the pretty boy image, I never felt like he was a real baseball player - certainly not the type I could identify with. Now, its clear, he's not so perfect after all....though still very rich. I've heard enough of Bonds & Clemens hubris -- its almost ludicris to think that they weren't exploiting every avenue to continue to perform at the highest level to feed their massive egos as well as their bank accounts. Its at least a little refreshing to see someone of similar caliber actually admit to their mistakes and take their medicine like a normal human being.

Posted by: eurekaj | February 9, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

So, where's the story about how the agreement between the players union and the owners was violated, by releasing the identity of a player that failed a drug test before strict bans were in place? Do we have to wait six years after the fact to find out?

Posted by: CatMan1 | February 9, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

There is too much "hero worship" for athletes with the fans and the news media. The contracts are too large. It is amazing that sports teams are throwing around mega million dollar contracts as if our nation was not going through a severe economic crisis. These endorsement contracts are outrageous as well.

I would like to take my family to a live game, but I am not prepared to spend half of my paycheck to do it. I have more important things to do with the little money I have.

It is getting to a point where modern day athletes will need an asterisk placed with their names along with their records.

Posted by: tdmck321 | February 9, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I am shocked. Shocked I tell you.

Posted by: JCritter | February 9, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we already know this? I thought A-Rod had already admitted using steroids but the point was he'd done it BEFORE mandated testing in 2004?

Frankly, I'm tired of the gotcha MSM.

Posted by: Seneca7 | February 9, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I just hope none you are hypocrites that voted for Clinton, Bush or Obama for POTUS. I would hate to learn you're not straight arrows or that you put character of players of a game over character of politicians in government?

Posted by: bnw173 | February 9, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"Injecting yourself with steroids for 3 years was done deliberately to advance his career. He should be banned from the game for life, strip of his records and told to take a hike. "

Well, except for the fact that during the timeframe that he has been accused of and has now admitted to using steroids, he was doing nothing illegal. The "anonymous survey" that his urine participated in was being conducted specifically so that MLB could figure out if it had a steroid problem. So really, ARod is guilty of absolutely nothing. The guilty party, the one who should be banned for life, is Bud Selig who was hired by the owners to - among other duties as assigned - preserve the integrity of baseball. Of course, the reason the owners had to hire Selig to do that was because they are too gutless themselves and lack the will to police their own sport. It was an earlier group of gutless owners who were forced after the Black Sox scandal to create the commissioner's office in the first place and fill it with Judge Landis. The current crop of owners need to can Selig ASAP and find another Kenesaw Mountain to replace him and lay down the law once again. Will they? Why is Selig catching none of the heat on this, mainstream media?

Posted by: nunof1 | February 9, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

A-R*id.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | February 9, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Get a grip, folks. Professional athletes are human and many will engage in ethically murky territory to get a perceived edge in a highly competitive sport.

In 2003 steroids were not against baseball rules, and while it was technically against the law, has anyone been convicted and jailed for its use? (Some have been convicted of lying about it under oath, but that is a different crime.)

As for lying about it in an interview, what did you expect him to say? How many of us would admit to something if we think we've gotten away with it?

Frankly, I find the media's obsession with steroids in baseball to be grotesque in a society where financial misdeeds for one's personal gain are barely commented on--except general hand-wringing--even when working people lose their jobs or retirement accounts as a result.

Posted by: kvlugt | February 9, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@bnw173

What point are you trying to make. While I respect your opinion, this is a sports discussion, not a political discussion. There are other sections for you to discuss your political viewpoints.

Posted by: BT23 | February 9, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

How come nobody gets outraged when football players get caught using steroids? They just do their four game suspensions and move on.

Posted by: spidey103 | February 9, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

You have cheaters of all kinds in the Hall of Fame. Do you have little stars by spitball pitchers name? Are there any gamblers in the Hall of Fame? Drunks? etc. What is the big deal.
Man do folks realize how hard it is to put the center of that bat on the center of the moving little ball?

Posted by: bnw173 | February 9, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I love baseball. Loved it since I was a kid. Now, though far removed from being a kid, the beauty of the game is as real to me as ever and the off-season months a slow wait for March to arrive. But MLB tests fans. Almost each year it is a test of loyalty and a push-away with absurd salaries, with drug use, with complaining players who turn down $25 million (see Manny). With local and FOXified TV coverage becoming more cluttered with in-game commercials. It goes on. With such a good thing going, why is MLB seemingly intent on destroying itself? And it will, in time, just as Wall Street destroyed itself.

Posted by: youngsag | February 9, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@bnw173

Posted by: BT23
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you don't understand my point, I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you. I'm somewhat simple, but not that simple?

Posted by: bnw173 | February 9, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Too bad he didn't say that when the story broke rather than referring the reporter to the union and refusing to discuss it (until he'd consulted with his spinmeisters, I assume). That would have demonstrated more personal integrity, IMO. Also wish that he'd not lied about it in the Couric interview after the Mitchell Report broke (he hadn't been caught at that point so it wasn't in his best interests to confess, methinks).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 9, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Three seasons? This was no one-time thing . . . Oh my. This is big.

Posted by: chrisduckworth | February 9, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

bnm173-
simple would be one way to describe you- and an idiot would be another way. take your republican talking points somewhere else.

Posted by: richard_cranium | February 9, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Good for A-Rod for coming clean.

Now Cal "Roids" Ripken needs to do the same.

Posted by: ImpeachObama | February 9, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

At least he told the truth

Posted by: bob29 | February 9, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

My first fond memory I can remember is baseball. I guess it was because my Dad played baseball with me before I developed a memory. I remember Harry Carer and the St. Louis Cardinals. The only thing I haven't liked about baseball was the strike.

1998 was the best year of my baseball life. I cpould care less what McGwire or Sosa were taking. It was their body.
I never really cared for Pete Rose but he was one of the greatest baseball player's I ever saw. I respected him as a baseball player. I would never believe he fixed a game. He was too much of a competitor. He and McGwire belong in the Hall.

Posted by: bnw173 | February 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

This guy is over paid, no wonder he can afford STERIODS, KICK HIM OUT OF BASEBALL.

Posted by: llevario2 | February 9, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fmjk | February 9, 2009 2:54 PM

I submit the above as a candidate for top ten funniest posts of '09

Posted by: bob29 | February 9, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Are Rodriguez's records or stats going to stand?

None of the cheaters' records should stand. As far as I'm concerned, Hank Aaron is STILL the home run king!

Posted by: laserbeam | February 9, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I may be alone in saying this, but hat's off to A-Rod for coming clean (as it were). I'm tired of athletes evading questions, denying everything, and deflecting blame.

Posted by: Senjata | February 9, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Everyone keeps saying that he "came clean." He had some monster years after 2003. Who's to say that he hasn't just admitted a portion of the truth?

Posted by: dclifer | February 9, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

um... Performance enhancing drugs were allowed in MLB prior to 2004. The confidential test was conducted to establish a baseline of how many MLB players took performance enhancing drugs and they discovered that approximately 1/7th of league was using them! A-Rod said he stopped taking the drugs when the players were informed of the new rules restricting their use. So what's the problem?

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the leak of results from a supposedly anonymous medical test. If I were a player today -- I would refuse to take any more tests until MLB verifies they will remain confidential and are never shared with legal authorities or the media.

Posted by: siris | February 9, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Three words from the Watergate era to describe this "admission:"

Modified limited hangout.

He's admitted to as much as he must, and pretends even not to know what he took.

Not making a judgment here about steroids, but I believe he's probably understating the extent of his use.

And to the guy who made reference to Obama's prior drug use: The point here is that steroid use gave its users an illegal edge and distorted the competition. Drug use not affecting the integrity of the competition, thought it may be illegal, is an entirely separate matter -- Phelps' marijuana use, for example.

Posted by: Meridian1 | February 9, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

bnm173-

Posted by: richard
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Einstein, I thought your drawers were in a wad because I mentioned a analogy between sports character and government character and here you go talking politics and call me a Repub. It could have been worse. You could have called me a Dem. Thanks?
Gotta be a Liberal Obamanut. Only those folks resort to name calling when they are too dumb to make logical arguments.
By the way, I'm an ex-Dem as of June 2008.

Still think we should be more concerned with cleaning up government than baseball.
Just trying to put things in the proper context in relations to priority.

Posted by: bnw173 | February 9, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Is it any surprise that so many kids use drugs? What great role models we have. Baseball, swimming, track.

Posted by: diamond2 | February 9, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Uhh....whoever said .."he was doing nothing illegal"...IS WRONG or a SPORTS AGENT...

Okay you PTI watching dudes...taking roids without is perscription WAS illegal in that timeframe...one of them was NEVER legal at all.

Understand now??

Posted by: nowhine | February 9, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Mark McGwire had the best answer. Don't talk about the past. They couldn't get him for lying under oath. Regardless of his answer the media would have made him out a villain anyway. What he really meant was "kiss my a**". I don't think he really cares whether he is in the Hall or not.

Posted by: bnw173 | February 9, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Big dif. between using RECREATIONAL drugs, as did some Presidents and Phelps, and using PERFORMANCE-ENHANCING drugs. I really don't care if athletes smoke dope, but do care if athletes feel they must take drugs that enhance their playing abilities while also posing major risks to their health.

Posted by: post5 | February 9, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

This article lacks some important information, the lack of which has made many arrogant fools ... look like fools here.

The positive test in 2004 was not positive for a banned substance, it was positive for a substance which had never been banned by MLB. He did not break any MLB rules, so it is ridiculous to suggest kicking him out of baseball. MLB did not ban the substance in question until after the drug test.

Laws from our government are not allowed to be applied retroactively, and baseball has made no indication that they wish to retroactively apply bans on certain substances. I doubt they would attempt to do so. Unless someone can provide proof that A-Rod failed a drug test AFTER it was made illegal, then you have no case for penalizing him.

Lying in a TV interview, and not to a government investigator, is not against baseball's rules or against the law.

Let's make posting on this article before 4pm retroactively illegal. Then anyone who posted before 4pm would be banned from life for posting again on this site. That's what retroactive means, and that's not what baseball's steroid rules are. And thankfully, Washington Post won't institute a rule retroactively like that either.

Posted by: GabrielRockman | February 9, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

kvlugt

Your information is incorrect.

It is against the rules of major league baseball to use steroids without a prescription.

And that's what he did. He used a steroid without having a prescription and hence the controversy.

Posted by: stoneycurtis | February 9, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Using performance enhancing drugs, while they were not yet banned, should be something that voters take into account when deciding whether or not a player should make the hall of fame. It doesn't appear that McGwire ever broke baseball's rules, but it does appear that he took performance enhacing drugs which were not yet banned, and that has rightly seriously diminished his chances of making the hall of fame.

However, the line between a health food diet and performance enhancing drugs is a fine line. Should a protein shake be illegal? Should I hold it against a player for drinking one? At what point does it go from acceptable dieting measures to abuse of performance enhancing drugs?

I do think A-Rod, McGwire, and others went over the line, but I don't think this line has ever been satisfactorily drawn.

Posted by: GabrielRockman | February 9, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Isn't it really the role model issue everyone is concerned with here? That is the final nail in the coffin of the media when athletes are buried from the Hall.
Mark McGwire never used illegal drugs and wasn't voted into the Hall of Fame. Never admitted or was convicted. Accused yes. I would believe him over any of those who have accused him. Even his brother.
No reason for him not being in the Hall.

Posted by: bnw173 | February 9, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

A-Roid felt pressure to live up to his $252 million contract? Why are they paying ANY athlete that much money to play a sport?

I'm so turned off by MLB that I could care less what happens to him. His fans will make excuses, look the other way. This sport is a joke!

Posted by: obx2004 | February 9, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: diamond2 |

Is it any surprise that so many kids use drugs? What great role models we have. Baseball, swimming, track, PRESIDENTS.

Posted by: bnw173 | February 9, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

If A-Roid couldn't stand the heat of his big contract, then he shouldn't have let his agent go after it and sign it.

No sympathy what so ever.

Posted by: cadet70 | February 9, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: obx2004 | February 9, 2009 4:21 PM

Because there are enough fans who are not turned off like you, that they can pay him that much money and still make money off him. Why does your company pay you? Because they can make money off you. If multiple companies could all pay you 10 million dollars a year and still make money off you, you'd be getting 10+ million dollars a year. But no one thinks they can pay you 10 million, and have you produce more than 10 million for them, so thats why you are getting paid much much less than A-Rod. In all likelihood you provide much more to society than A-Rod, but companies don't pay people off of how valuable to society they are, they pay them off of how valuable to their company they are.

If you took a college economics class, you would know this. And yes, it is an example of how sick our society is, but it's a hell of a lot better than communism or any other type of economy that's been tried out. Supply and demand normally leads to pretty good results, but it does have the occasional abominations that come out of it as well, such as A-Rod's pay.

The way to make A-Rod get paid less is to be like you, and not let teams earn money off A-Rod. However, millions of people make it worth MLB's money to pay him that much.

Posted by: GabrielRockman | February 9, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The ethical relativism in all this chatter is ridiculous.

The bottom line, A-rod, is this: it was wrong, you knew it was wrong, you lied about it and covered it up, and now you admit it in a half-hearted apology squirming in a chair in front of Peter Gammons. You don't seem fully sincere and it is heard to believe that you did this for only your time in Texas. That was not a fully convincing performance in the interview. You took too much time "measuring" your responses, almost like you were trying to recall the legal coaching you may have gotten before hand.

The root of all of this is money, when you allow this much money into sports it corrupts it in so many ways and spreads like a cancer. The culprits are many. TV (ESPN and all the broadcast networks who pay astronomical fees for sports broadcasting rights), sporting goods companies and other advertisers (Nike and the crew who prostitute the sports and their athletes), the leagues and franchises who live in ignorant bliss, the athletes themselves who trade away hard work for expedient short-cuts to success and fame, and the fans who subsidize all this with their hard-earned cash.

We have to get our priorities straight in this world. Pro sports has become too big a part of our society with its corrosive effect.

Posted by: garylloyd | February 9, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"So stop with the grabage talk that it was not illegal...IT WAS AND STILL IS A FELONY..It was not banned in roidball, that all.

Understand now??"

Which is why you can't ban him from MLB for life just because he used 'roids in 2003, because he wasn't violating MLB's rules. If he gets prosecuted and convicted of a felony, then maybe you can reconsider a lifetime ban. But that hasn't happened yet.

Understand now??

Posted by: nunof1 | February 9, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Honest?? I don't think so. If he wasn't caught, we wouldn't know, and kids would still wear his jersey. Makes the acievements of Aaron, Rose, Schmidt, and Ripken seem even more impressive. Go Phillies (a relatively clean team)

Posted by: JoePantes | February 9, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Are Rodriguez's records or stats going to stand?"

ARod should be force-fed a diet of hot dogs and beer, kept out carousing every night against his will, and forbidden from working out for the remainder of his career. If he still manages to pass Hank Aaron, then let him have the record without an asterisk.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 9, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

When are folks ever gonna hold the boss responsible for what all the workers are doing? In this case that would be a Mr. Selig. No one got richer off of steroids than the Commish. Why is he all of a sudden so teflon?

Posted by: dovelevine | February 9, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

ImpeachObama- What makes you think Ripken used 'roids???

Posted by: JoePantes | February 9, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The A-Rod story is a non-story. The MSM knows full well an entire generation of big leaguers took steroids or performance enhancing drugs; it wasn't just one or two players. For years BoswellCostasWorld suggested it was just Bonds who was an abuser and they led a tiresome, mean-spirited persecution of Barry Bonds. In fact, Costas still obsesses over Bonds on his radio show. At the same BoswellCostasWorld protected other players like Clemens until, of course, the evidence against them became too overwhelming.

The big story -- from a JOURNALIST'S perspective -- should be who are the 103 players who flunked the drug test in 2003 with A-Rod. It is very strange BoswellCostasWorld is not pushing for identity of the other 103 abusers. Boswell's column today in Post says we shouldn't push for the names. We heard no cries for fairness and forgiveness when they were crucifying Bonds.

Let's stop the nonsense and accept the fact an entire generation of players were users and, for Hall of Fame purposes, let's kind of discount their stats, for example, 600 hrs might be viewed more like 490, 300 wins more like 175, and so on.

BTW, when does Jose Canseco get an apology for revealing to the public what all the sports reporters already knew (that about half of the players were users) but didn't report?

Posted by: broadwayjoe | February 9, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

GabrielRockman- You speak big truth! I KNOW I contribute more to SOCIETY than any athlete, and I also know I'm happy with what I get paid. It waqs more realistic 20-30 yrs ago when pro athletes only got 4-5 times what we do. This 18mil/year (Ryan Howard) is SICK!!!!!! But, heck, if they can get it, go 4 it.

Posted by: JoePantes | February 9, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Shame on you Alex Rodriguez! You are an embarrassment to all Dominican Americans in the United States. With the economy going to hell and U.S. citizens are out of work, I could careless about a rich wealthy cheating baseball player or entertainers who are flaunting their wealth.

Posted by: ConservativeDemocrat | February 9, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I didn't watch one ball game last year, my interest in this game has hit and all time low. Expansion has diluted the league with below average players, and even these players are millionaires.

Posted by: shipfreakbo214 | February 9, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Since it's the money, cap the salaries and the profits the owners can make and make the game affordable for average family. Let the athletes play for the love of the game, give the rest of the profits and salaries to the police/fire fighters/teachers/soldiers ...

Posted by: shhhhh | February 9, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bnw17

-Obama or Bush?

The War on Drugs is a colossal failure; maybe we should focus on more important things.

(Like tax cheats in charge of Treasury)

Posted by: theobserver4 | February 9, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Boo flippin hoo.... A-Fraud isn't sorry he did steroids, he's sorry he got caught. Way to go. What a very lame attempt at damage control there, A-Fraud.

Were he to have been truly sorry, he would have been in front of this a LONG time ago. You don't wait until they get the goods on you and then "confess."

Time to put an asterisk on him and all the other cheaters (Bonds, McGwire, Giambi, Clemons, Pettite, Palmeiro, et al) who are convicted, proven to have used, or compelled to admit having used steroids.

Posted by: randy_boyd | February 9, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

What does it say about the sport of Major League Baseball when Jose Canseco appears to be the only credible voice?

Posted by: Ted_Striker | February 9, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Who cares?

Someone please tell me why this makes the front page of the Post?

They are all a bunch of overpaid cheaters anyway.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 9, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

"the $252 MM MADE me do it!" Ha! This guy must have fried some brain cells.

Posted by: bermudml | February 9, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Johnny Damon is really, Really, REALLY hoping those other names aren't released.

Aren't you, Johnny?

Posted by: xSamplex | February 9, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Unless they are going to tell us the names of the 103 other players who tested positive in 2003, this exclusive focus on A-Rod is silly and unfair. Our guess here is the 103 include some who the media has told us are squeaky clean and paragons of virtue.

This is way too selective: Barry Bonds is bad, Lance Armstrong is good. Marion Jones is bad, Dara Torres is good. Let's get real. We need to move on.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | February 9, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

If you can't take the pressure, don't take the money! ANY ATHLETE CAUGHT USING ILLEGAL DRUGS, SHOULD BE BANNED FROM SPORTS FOR LIFE!

Posted by: tu71 | February 9, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I do not like A-Rod because I am a Red Sox fan and he slapped the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's glove in the historic comeback 2004 ALCS. He has the self-absorbed personality of any superstar. However, it is the MLB who is ultimately to blame for the Steroid Era. Bug Selig needs to be investigated like Blago. He allowed zero oversight to all the steroid use that bring down baseball, in order to sell tickets after the '95 strike. This is not A-Rod's fault, for it is already a machine that's taken on a life of it's own. Blame the MLB, the MLBPA and Bud Selig. Some (not all) of the players were injected with these drugs unknowingly. It is a gray area now as to who, how many and when all these players did steroids.

Posted by: sands84 | February 9, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

The Government should investigate now that at least one of the names have been released. It was a blatant HIPAA violation to publicly release private medical records without authorization.

Posted by: siris | February 9, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

No steroids = A-fraud. Now we know the reason why he hasn't done as well with NY as he did with Texas. If we are to believe there has been no juice for the past several years.

Posted by: mortified469 | February 9, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

well coming from a younger kids point of view... no matter who it is your going to have people agree and disagree with what is done. If it was someone you were a fan of or was a role model to you then it would be looked at different... what he did was wrong and he clearly pointed that out and said his sorry's what more can be done? Him and every other athlete has a role model and someone they look up too, cant jump to "this is why kids do it" well i'am an athlete and know not to do something like that just to get better at a sport its about having fun and playing the game you love.

who are we to say what goes on in his life? maybe if everyone got off his case and every other sport player,tv star/actor, and singer they wouldnt feel the pressure to do drugs battle against each other on who is better. Just leave people alone.

-sports girl!

Posted by: sportfan1 | February 9, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mortified469 | February 9, 2009 6:07 PM
________________
A-Rod has actually done as well if not better with NY, e.g., two MVPs with the Yanks.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | February 9, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

It's *not entirely A-Rod's fault, I meant to say. He should have had the foresight and guts to come clean earlier and knew what he was taking. He's lucky he didn't testify in front of a grand jury, like Bonds, and only to Katie Couric. Criticize all the sports stars since the 1980s (and maybe earlier) who took steroids to enhance their game. Look to the bigger fish. How were these personal trainers, managers, GM's, coaches, assistant coaches and the MLB heirarchy blind to letting these drugs, supplements and HGH (which should not be illegal in sports because aging pitchers need it) sit on the shelves of all their locker rooms of their own stadiums throughout the 1990s and not know??

Posted by: sands84 | February 9, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Think of all our children who look up to these players! They honor this guy so much and then find out that he thinks it's ok to do steroids. Wow! No wonder we have problems with kids doing drugs.

Posted by: princessinatshirt | February 9, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

uh, don't know that calling the SI reporter a stalker was a good move.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 9, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Why on earth does A-Rod's admission surprise you? Come on people. We all knew he (like all the others) did it. We simply held out hope that at the end of the day he would be admonished. Just another piece of the American dream flushed down the toilet like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Posted by: gladiatorgal | February 9, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

If you can't take the pressure, don't take the money! Any athlete caught using any illegal drugs, Cheating on taxes or Lying about it should be treated just like our politicians' BAN THEM FROM SPORTS FOR LIFE!
OH? What am I saying NOT THE POLITICIANS they're not that important and as long as they apologize, it's all good. Sorry I guess I just got carried away.

Posted by: GustavoGarcia | February 9, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

This is such old news, i think it really boils down to the FDA being the illegal drug entity.

Politics aside the war on drugs is the biggest waste of taxpayer money EVER.

Pure insanity.

Posted by: bms46and2 | February 9, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

There are a couple of salient points to be made here. First, steroids are performance enhancing drugs. Unlike alcohol, marijuana or even cocaine they give the user a distinct advantage in strength and speed. In baseball this translates into more power and bat speed for position players, more velocity and stamina for pitchers. If one is to believe the SI story, 104 players were so stupid or so afraid of losing their edge that even after being told they'd be tested, they continued using and were caught, albeit "anonymously". If one assumes that more players were scared off by the test, it is reasonable to call into question at least some of the great performances during the so called "steroid era". Baseball's central appeal is its rich history of accomplishments,the purity of the numerical gauge of achievements. Upon what do we hang our hat now?
Second, throughout its history baseball has had its own subtle skulduggery from doctoring baseballs with spit, oil, polish, scuff marks etc to shaving and corking bats, sharpening spikes for traction and intimidation. Players have used amphetamines for energy for 50 years. Because there are only 800 actual jobs, the pressure to perform causes some to take any path to stay at the top of their game. This pressure has increased exponentially with the explosion of salaries since the 1970's (this is true in every major sport). How do we reconcile the opposing goals--i.e., the purity of the athletic contest with the competition for increased remuneration?
The short answer is, we can't. Every fan wants his team to do well and will generally turn a blind eye to the flaws of his favorite players. How can you look at a player who was a lean 185 lb guy at 21 and see him at 225 now and believe that weights and nutrition alone could accomplish that? How does a pitcher go from throwing 87-90 mph to 98 mph at age 33-35 and say with a straight face that he's just "taking better care of his body"?
As long as we put up with it and pay the salaries thru our game attendance and team gear purchases, we damn well better get used to the idea that while the majority of players are clean, some will use anything to maintain stardom, whether they cross an ethical line or not. As a Yankee fan, I'm saddened that the person looked upon as the game's best player is now tainted forever. He was never one I wanted to see on the team, and I wish there was some way to simply send him elsewhere. Whatever the team accomplishes with him will be called into question. For better or worse the team's accomplishments with Clemens remain unquestioned because the team he was on at that time was simply superior, and he was NOT the difference maker. It's too bad Rodriguez just didn't come clean sooner, and all that mealy mouthed crap about it not being "illegal" when he used it just rings hollow. It's a sad day for baseball.

Posted by: bklyndan22 | February 9, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I care very little for professional sports. What angers me is the likelihood of prosecutorial misconduct in leaking confidential medical records of parties who have not been charged with a crime. Perhaps the Post could look into this aspect, or is baseball more important than the law and civil liberties?

Posted by: codexjust1 | February 9, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Ban him from baseball.

Strip him of all his records.

Remove him from the books.

Stupid cheater. I guess all superstars are cheaters.

Posted by: steve_in_severna_park | February 9, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Liar, cheater, spoiled-rotten, grossly over-paid, waste of money. And despite what Tom Goldman (NPR) thinks when he calls him arguably "the best hitter in baseball", he defintely is NOT!

Give me Jeter, Mantle & Maris, and everything in between, but get Rodriguez out of baseball...

Posted by: jcmaloney | February 9, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

To all of you who are patting the $450 million dollar man on the back for being a "stand up guy" -- when he was asked by Katie Couric on national TV over a year ago if he ever used steroids, he flat out lied and said no. Admitting it once you are caught in a lie is not being a "stand up guy." And it's hardly naivete when he admits that he used it to enhance his performance over a three year period to justify his contract. Why are we supposed to believe that it stopped when his contract got even bigger?

Posted by: fmjk | February 9, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure an aging and increasingly irrelevant Madonna can support him in the style to which he's become accustomed.

Posted by: chappell1 | February 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Another Black Eye for NY City, A-Rod, Wall Street, Madoff.

Posted by: nativeva1 | February 9, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

2013 BASEBALL ALMANAC

*2012-2013 Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees

* Denotes used performance enhancing drugs during professional sports career

Posted by: magnifco1000 | February 9, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES?

Does this really matter? For those of you who never played a sport in your life beyond Little League - consider this: These guys are professional athletes and are competitive beyond your understanding. Given the time frame, knowing there was no testing in place, the chances of getting caught were minimal, and your competition was doing the same thing - can you blame them for experimenting to try to gain an edge? Baseball players are always looking for an edge on the competition. Sign stealing, pitchers tipping of pitches, and etc etc. It is only cheating if you get caught.
Just because you are taking steroids doesn't mean you became a great player. You have to already be a great player for it to help. Sure, it can make you stronger and will help you recover from injury. But it won't make a poor hitter a great hitter all of the sudden.
A-Rod is taking the high road and I am happy to see it. Clemens and Bonds should have done the same thing. Sadly, they missed their chance and they have to ride their waves. A-Rod now has a chance to preserve his legacy.
Lets look at the facts. He had a monster year in 2007 and there was plenty of testing to know he was clean. Let's see what he can do in 2009. If he has another monster year, knowing he is clean, and considering he is 6-7 years older than when he was in Texas and juicing, I think that will really prove that all of this is not that big of a deal.
Go A-Rod.