On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Alomar Responds to AIDS Claims

According to former longtime second baseman Roberto Alomar, the claims that he has AIDS -- and did while insisting on having unprotected sex with a now-ex girlfriend for four years -- are completely fabricated. If there was any question about how the former Blue Jay, Oriole, Indian and Met would fire back at Ilya Dall, the woman who filed a civil suit in New York, they were answered with a simple statement of "I'm in good health," from Alomar to the Associated Press.

"This is a very private, personal matter and I greatly appreciate all the support I have received in the past few days from my family, friends and colleagues in baseball," the former All-Star second baseman said in a statement that was released to the AP. "I am in very good health and I ask that you respect my privacy during this time.

"As for the lawsuit, it is filled with lies and I am deeply saddened that someone I cared for would make such terrible accusations and try to hurt me in this way,"

Alomar's father, Mets bench coach Sandy Alomar Sr., also told ESPN yesterday that Roberto had visited the family all last week, leaving Monday, and that he didn't look ill at all. "He was well. He wasn't sick," Alomar Sr. told ESPN.

All of the Alomars' responses raise new and interesting questions in the suit. Primary among them is how Roberto Alomar might if the suit is, in fact, completely frivolous. Would he countersue for defamation and slander? Regardless of the outcome of Dall's lawsuit, it's clearly tarnished Alomar's good name and reputation. Yet filing a "Claim of Defendant" also might air more dirty laundry that Alomar would rather keep secret.

It's an interesting dilemma for an extremely proud man, one who -- at least in his initial responses -- clearly feels he's been wronged.

By Cameron Smith  | February 12, 2009; 12:27 PM ET
Categories:  Blue Jays, Indians, Mets, Orioles
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dodgers Sign Randy Wolf
Next: Lefty Relievers: Only Four Left

Comments

EXCEPT: he didn't say he doesn't have AIDS or HIV. Magic Johnson could very easily issue that very same press release. In this day and age, simply having HIV doesn't mean a person can't feel and appear to be "in very good health," particularly if they have access to the must current medications.

Given how salacious the allegations are, if he were HIV negative, I feel certain he would have issued a stronger denial and used those words. He didn't.

Posted by: wahoo2x | February 12, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

What about the umpire he spit on. If I were in his shoes I'd think about suing.

Posted by: Tojo1 | February 12, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Tojo1, the likelihood of transmitting HIV via airborne saliva is practically nil. If Hirschbeck caught HIV from Alomar, he would have known by now (which took place 11 1/2 years ago) and obviously would have sued.

Posted by: keepwastingmoney | February 12, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

wahoo2x has it exactly right -- if Robby doesn't have AIDS, why not specifically deny that? He doesn't according to the quote in the post. We'll see...

Posted by: cnhorton | February 12, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cala | February 13, 2009 2:36 AM | Report abuse

"Yes, sais Robby has AIDS. My friend who is the STD counselor on a HIV site" HIVlover.com' said a man sent him a mail to ask some problem about AIDS. And it is very likey to be him"

Posted by: cala | February 13, 2009 2:36 AM

Oh come on Carla, that is totaly crap, i've never seen so many retarded people posting on one topic in my life, how the hell would an HIV or an STD counselor know from an Email who the hell is asking the questions, gimme a break, anything to stoke the fire eh? And I'd like to know who this so called friend of yours is, cause if they're talking trash like that about clients they could be sued and fired, and as well they should be, but sorry it's going to take more than an email from some anonamous dude about Aids to prove to me 100% that Robbie Alomar has AIDS, think before you comment please, my god half the people commenting on all these alomar aids sites are just totaly retarded, and no you will not get HIV from gettin spit on, my god are all you people AIDS-a-phobe's, but I do agree, he should have issued a stronger denial, maybe if he is sick he's just not ready to come public with that yet, remember this would be a verry scary thing to find out about yourself, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, everyone deserves that much, what happened to innocent until proven guilty? it seems more and more down in the USA that seems to be just thrown in the trash and it's sad to see, Leave the man alone, and if he is sick and if and when he decides to go public with that information he could be a huge asset in the war on AIDS, becuase the human race needs all the help it can get on that one...

Posted by: hitman79 | February 17, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

One more thing, why the hell would roberto alomar go to an HIV/AIDS dating site to ask health questions?? that's insane, wouldn't he not better benefit from going to an actuall health website instead of one that hooks single peoeple with AIDS and HIV up together?? geez where the hell has people's logic gone.....

Posted by: hitman79 | February 17, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I think the STD counselor on a HIV site" HIVlover.com might be in a little trouble over this one...

Posted by: hitman79 | February 18, 2009 5:50 AM | Report abuse