On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Jeremy Guthrie and an Introduction

Hey folks, I'm CJ Holley and I'm a sports producer for washingtonpost.com as well as the latest addition to the growing Baseball Insider family.

I plan to focus chiefly on the team up I-95, the Baltimore Orioles, but I'm sure I'll chime in on some other baseball related goodies. Well, enough about me, let's get down to business.

De facto Orioles ace Jeremy Guthrie was named to Team USA for the World Baseball Classic. This news is the latest chapter in the Jeremy Guthrie Cinderella story, which, as we all know, began while he languished for a few years in the Indians system before landing in Baltimore, where he's begun to cash in on his potential.

Of course the WBC will be a wonderful experience for Guthrie (by all accounts considered to be a truly good guy in the game) as he will not get the chance to represent his country, but what will this mean for the Orioles?

First the negative...

Following the inaugural WBC, many clubs were disappointed in the apparent fatigue participants - especially pitchers - showed once the MLB season began. Can the Orioles, already expected to be cellar dwellers in the vicious AL East, afford to have their best pitcher (who also experienced a tired arm down the stretch of the 2008 season) scuffle to start the season?

Probably not.

But on the positive side, Guthrie may get to improve his game through osmosis. Call it the Dream Team theory. With the NBA's Dream Teams (the truly great, star-studded ones), the individual work ethics of the elite players rubbed off on the other players, helping those players to further focus and hone their abilities.

Now, Guthrie is already a meticulous worker but it certainly wouldn't hurt to be surrounded by all-star caliber talent for an extended period of time instead of a motley crew of 36 other pitchers clamoring for roster spots, right?

Anyways, what do you guys think? WBC: Clearly great for Guthrie, but how excited should the Orioles be?

By CJ Holley  |  February 18, 2009; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  Orioles
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A-Rod, The Aftermath
Next: Griffey to the Braves? Today?

Comments

Hi CJ. I don't like the Orioles, so please write as little about them as possible. Thanks!

Posted by: yobigc | February 18, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

BOOOOOO!!!1 Go back to Bawlmer!!! Booooo!

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | February 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

What a joke! The Post is eliminating the Sunday Book and TV sections to save money, but they can afford to hire another reporter to cover an out-of town team that we all hate. How about hiring another hockey writer to cover the Caps since they are actually in Washington DC? This coverage of the O's made sense a while ago but they have this new invention now called the Internet. If you want to read about the O's read the Baltimore Sun on-line.

Posted by: HistoryBoy | February 18, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

u,, CJ is already a sports producer for post.com, so its not like they hired an additional person.

I, for one, appreciate the coverage! It makes more sense than covering Va. Tech football, which is considerably further away. But the Post does that.

I'm curious to see how Guthrie does this year. I liek the kid and I hope that pitching at the WBC is a positive step in his development.

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 18, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The Post is replacing Boswell with an intern? How the mighty have fallen...

Posted by: nunof1 | February 18, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

CJ is awesome/not an intern. The mighty have not fallen, just been augmented.

Posted by: benshles | February 18, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

The Orioles? We live in Washington, DC and don't give a horse's patootie about Balmer.

Posted by: mjwies11 | February 18, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate the Baltimore updates. Please keep them coming!

Any word on whether the Orioles are going to have a beat writer covering the team this year? So far, all the spring training stories have come off the AP wire.

Posted by: FHMetro | February 18, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you guys are sure welcoming. I couldn't care less about the Orioles either, but CJ didn't say this is an Orioles blog. It's *baseball*. Sheesh.

CJ, you can consider yourself properly initiated by the poopypants brigade but don't give them any credence. Real fans come here for baseball stuff. Welcome aboard.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 18, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow...It is astounding to read these posts by these expo fans...assuming they liked baseball, one would then assume they were oriole fans up till the expos relocated to DC when they decided loyalty is not a major part of being a fan and decided to hop on the montreal bandwagon...I'm so sick of these fairweather fans who claim the O's aren't a regional team...Its about time the post started dedicating more attention to the DC/MD/VA area's true hometown baseball team...Welcome aboard and I look forward to reading more about the O's...Let's Go O's and Hail to the Redskins

Posted by: justlovesports | February 20, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse