On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Odalis Perez Is Holding Out

UPDATE: Chico has a more in-depth breakdown right here. If he can dig up any more tonight it's the first place you'll see it, too.

That's the story according to ESPNDeportes, which got an interview with the pitcher in the Dominican Republic via Enrique Rojas, earlier today.

According to Rojas, Perez regrets giving the go-ahead on the $850,000, minor league deal he accepted with the Nationals through his agent, Martin ArburĂșa, earlier this winter. Now he says he's not showing up for camp until the situation gets addressed, both in terms of giving him more money, and guaranteeing the money that's already in the contract.

"I thought it best and I prefer to sit in my house if the Nationals do not show more appreciation for my work," Perez said from Santo Domingo.

"Appreciate my work means to increase the value of the contract and guarantee it. I will not accept any minor league contracts with no safeguards. I instructed my agent to report my position to the Nationals," Perez said. He also added that he's not negotiating with other clubs.

The holdout revelation also helps explain why everyone is so surprised Perez isn't there. When Chico asked manager Manny Acta about Perez's absence a few hours ago, he said the team wasn't worried because the first official day for reporting was Feb. 22. At the time, he said, "Until then, we won't make a big deal."

This is what Acta's telling Rojas right now.

"The first time I became aware that something was happening was when ESPNdeportes.com contacted me to talk about the issue. The team informed me that there is a contract between the Nationals and Odalis in the commisioner's office," Acta said. ... "I really do not understand what is happening. I am waiting for Odalis since Saturday, but nobody has given me a reason for his absence from the field."

If that reads as if Acta is a little more upset now, we're betting he probably is. We don't blame him, either. Chico will probably have more on this later, so keep your eyes peeled on Nationals Journal and the rest of the Nats coverage tonight.

By Cameron Smith  |  February 16, 2009; 8:18 PM ET
Categories:  Nationals
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cardinals, Ludwick Avoid Arbitration
Next: Camp Notes: Twins in Ft. Myers

Comments

SHOW HIM SOME APPRECIATION? SHOW HIS AZZ THE DOOR!!!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | February 16, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

The door as in "don't let it hit you on the way out."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 16, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Who does he think he is, Nolan Ryan ?

Give him nothing.
But a swift kick, right in his azz, as hes going through the front door.

Get rid of him NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,
Before he becomes a huge problem in the clubhouse.

In fact hand me a bat.
I'll will be glad to give him a wood shampoo, for free.

Posted by: dashriprock | February 16, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Does he think he is Tony Perez?? Give this guy the boot and let him work on the local
Burger King. Bet he would come back to the Nats rather fast.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | February 16, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Heck no, don't cut him loose!!! Let him wither on the vine in the Dominican Republic!!
Then, once he reports, deport his a$$!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | February 16, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Perez agreed to a contract. Now he is showing that his word means nothing. Get rid of him.

Posted by: randy28146 | February 16, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Your take on it is very interesting indeed, Cameron.

Either Bowden knew nothing of Odalis's holding out and everyone's surprised, and Manny is mad at Odalis.
OR
Bowden knew about his holding out and Manny's mad at Bowden for not telling him.

Either way, it's drama and I'm eating it up!!!

Posted by: NatsNut | February 16, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

On another note, hope that y'all will post an update on the expected arrival at the Sheinin household as developments occur. Thanks.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 17, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Huh. I posted after NatsNut but my time stamp is earlier.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 17, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse