On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Bats Again Lift Orioles Past Yankees

For the second straight game, the Orioles run off a Yankees pitcher as Baltimore hangs seven runs on New York's Chien-Ming Wang in 3 2/3 innings for a 7-5 victory.

I won't crank out a game story, because you can read the AP version here but follow the jump for your Cliff's Notes version of the game.

Koji Uehara Wins Debut

Uehara picked up the win in his much-anticipated debut, giving up just one run in five innings of work. Uehara gave up five hits and a walk in his 86-pitch outing. The one walk was to Derek Jeter - the first batter Uehara faced in his first American appearance. Uehara spent most of the night minimizing damage, allowing a base runner in each of his five innings but managed to get himself out of jams.

O's Top Three Continue to Produce

Brian Roberts, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis combined to hit 5 for 10 Wednesday night and scored four of the team's seven runs. Markakis really broke out, going 3 for 3 with three RBI, two runs and his first home run of the season - a two-run shot that chased Wang in the fourth inning.

Teixeira Still Booed, Still Struggling

Despite a much smaller crowd (22,856) compared to Opening Day, Severna Park native and Yankees off-season acquisition Mark Teixeira was still soundly booed at Camden Yards. In the first two games of the season, Teixeira has gone 1 for 9 with a walk and a hit.

Baltimore Bullpen Scuffles Again

Teixeira's lone hit came in the ninth inning as the Yankees put together a rally, touching up reliever Dennis Sarfate for three runs in 2/3 of an inning. Sarfate's struggles brought in closer George Sherrill who actually gave up Teixeira's run-scoring double (Sherrill inherited Sarfate's runner) before getting Hideki Matsui to pop out and end the game.

By CJ Holley  |  April 9, 2009; 1:03 AM ET
Categories:  Orioles , Yankees
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Strange, Strange Seattle Move
Next: Nocturnal Omissions: NL

Comments

O.K. I am really, really sick of this:
We live in Columbia, Md. I am a Montgomery County teacher and my husband works in Bethesda. WE ARE ORIOLES FANS. WE DESERVE MORE ORIOLES NEWS. FOR GODS SAKE, THE O'S JUST BEAT THE YANKEES TWICE AND ARE GOING FOR AN OPENING SERIES SWEEP!!!!!! WRITE ABOUT IT! GIVE FAIRLY TO BOTH TEAMS!!!!

Posted by: laub41 | April 9, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I second that comment by laub41

Posted by: thomassmith1 | April 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

O.K. I am really, really sick of this:

Posted by: laub41 | April 9, 2009 10:19 AM

Don't waste your time. After 2 years of Nats "fans" saying the Post should not cover the Orioles....("We have our own team now").......they have made that decision foolishly. If you need any and all Orioles news and you obviously have internet access, here is where you can get all you need......

Posted by: virtueandvice | April 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Yep, just what the Post needs: less readership. I have debated for years about subscribing to the Balt.Sun, but always felt more associated with Montgomery Cty and DC and felt it was a better paper... BUT, the sports dept. is cutting off a LOT of O's fans by their decision... why can't both teams be featured??

Posted by: laub41 | April 9, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the "let's ignore the Orioles" resentment. I don't want to go the Baltimore Sun for my Orioles new. WashPost is a major paper. I think they should be able to handle covering both teams. What joke.

Posted by: lavar609 | April 9, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse