On Twitter: PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Big Mac holds out on the truth

From Thomas Boswell:

Mark McGwire didn't lie to Congress.

So, now, he can tell the truth: "I used steroids during my playing career, and I apologize."

When he came to Capitol Hill in '05, the slugger created his own version of the Fifth Amendment, answering repeatedly, "I don't want to talk about the past."

That day, his strategy didn't look too smart. But now it does.

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens might wish, in hindsight, that they had the option to do what McGwire did Monday. But when you've sworn to a grand jury, or to Congress, that you're clean, you can't take it back. Both are still under investigation.

McGwire, by contrast, will be heading to spring training next month as the hitting instructor for his former St. Louis Cardinals.

The sun is always warm in St. Petersburg. There will be slaps on the Big Mac back.

Even though he has admitted that he cheated for a decade, he'll be welcomed. Almost a recluse in recent years, McGwire will have his life -- in baseball -- back at last.

Why will a confessed cheater find his return so relatively smooth? If nobody in baseball ever spoke to anybody suspected of using steroids in the '90s, the whole game would fall silent. At least McGwire finally told truth. And he didn't do it to sell a book, like Jose Canseco, or as damage control in response to a national magazine, like Alex Rodriguez.

Like our parents said, when you do something wrong, don't lie about it. It makes it worse. Sometimes worse than what you did.

McGwire will even regain some portion of his lost respect in the sport because he knows what price he'll pay. With his decision Monday "to come clean," McGwire almost certainly incinerates any chance he may have had to reach the Hall of Fame.

In recent years, he has only gotten about 25 percent of the Hall vote, far short of the 75 percent that's needed. And that's just when he was overwhelmingly suspected of using steroids because of his testimony before Congress. Now, he's detailed the years in which he used steroids and given his rationalization -- to help recover from injuries more quickly and prevent injuries.

While McGwire may never now have dinner on the veranda of the Otesaga Hotel in Cooperstown on the eve of induction ceremonies, he'll once again have all the invitations he can handle to grab a steak after a Cards game all around the big-league circuit.

What a no-brainer of a choice: Do you want to tough it out and hope that, someday, mores change and you make the Hall of Fame? Or do you want to have your normal human life back, albeit with a slightly larger blotch on your record? Perhaps what's surprising is that it took McGwire this long to decide.

"I always knew this day would come," said McGwire, who said that part of his delay until now was because of legal advice he had received. "It's time for me to confirm what people have suspected.

"I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

Since he earned $74,688,354 in salary, plus endorsements, pension and other benefits, he's probably not totally sorry. This is certainly a day to encourage honesty and practice forgiveness. But it shouldn't be forgotten that even though baseball did not have drug testing during much of McGwire's career, the sport explicitly stated that taking steroids was cheating. Mac knew exactly what he was doing and new it was against the rules -- tests or no tests.

As a truth-teller, McGwire probably still only deserves a passing grade, not an "A." Baseball cheats always want to maintain the illusion that using performance-enhancing drugs doesn't really enhance their own performance all that much. And they love to maintain the fiction that they only did it to recover from injuries or to prevent them. You know, sorta to help the team.

Mac, who's not ratting anybody else out, has stuck to the PED users company line in his statement. "I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids," said McGwire.

He couldn't. He'd have hit less. How many less? Nobody knows. Oh, sorry to interrupt.

"I had good years when I didn't take any, and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids, and I had bad years when I took steroids."

Yeah, yeah, yeah, tell it to the judge. Oh, that's right: Mac will never have to tell it to a judge because, in the clutch, he decided it wasn't in him to lie to his country's highest legislative body.

"I remember trying steroids very briefly in the '89-90 off-season," said McGwire of his first such experience. "During the mid-'90s, I went on the DL seven times and missed 228 games over five years," added McGwire. "it was definitely a miserable bunch of years, and I told myself that steroids could help me recover faster and prevent injuries, too."

Some in the game, when McGwire's injuries were mentioned, wondered if steroids might actually be a contributing cause. That was one reason why, during his great home run chase with Sammy Sosa in '98, there was periodic attention paid to what body-building stuff might be in McGwire's locker. Was it legit?

Until now, we didn't know for sure. So, with his confession, McGwire helps baseball move one step further along its lugubrious trek toward a post-steroid period.

"Baseball is really different now -- it's been cleaned up," McGwire said. "The commissioner and the players' association implemented testing and cracked down, and I'm glad they did."

Just for the record, let's clean up that last thought. Baseball's testing is probably now no more inadequate and no easier to beat than every other major sport. Faint praise, indeed, especially since no major sport has any testing for human growth hormone. You could take it by the gallon standing at home plate or in the huddle.

Despite all our sensible reservations and a cynicism we've earned over the last 20-some years, this was a fine day for McGwire and a good one for baseball, too.

Honesty may be the best policy. But, as Mark McGwire has shown us once more, refusing to lie is often just as important.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  January 11, 2010; 7:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McGwire goes deep [UPDATED: ... but not deep enough]
Next: Wednesday grab-bag: M's, Sheets, Mets

Comments

Selig: I'm shocked, shocked to find that steroid use is going on in here!
Fehr: Mr. Selig, here are your earnings
Selig: (in sotto voice) Oh, thank you very much.

Posted by: elb160 | January 11, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I think McGwire took a step closer to the Hall of Fame today, as opposed to assuring he will never get in. I think more writers will move past the issue and vote on his numbers, despite the fact that they are tainted now. The public, and the press, seem to be more than willing to forgive somebody if they admit what they did. The best examples are Andy Petite and Jason Giambi. Even Ortiz is no longer the focus of the ire of local or national media now that he has come forward. A-Rod gets a few "cheater" chants in opposing stadiums, but most of his press lately is how he's hitting in the clutch again. I think this trend indicates that the guys with the credentials to get into the HOF who gave the disingenuous mea culpa are more likely to get in, not less.

Also, to my knowlege, no pro leagues have testing for HGH because no reliable test currently exists. You can't hold the current limits of science/medicine against the sports leagues. If a reliable test is developed, and they still refuse to use it, then you can break out the anger again.

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | January 11, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

He is further away than ever from the HOF, Gammons already said he will no longer get his vote. He still thinks he would have hit 70 HRs without steroids, He is making a bigger fool of himself minute by minute,

Posted by: lmnovak13 | January 11, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

McGuire is such a joke. All that money and lying. Hank Aaron is still the true home run king with all these imposters.

Hopefully he will NEVER get into the HOF or any meaningful job in baseball.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 11, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I guess the part of me that has problems with all the Hall of Fame discussions is that they revolve around "Based on his record before we think he started using steroids, he had Hall of Fame credentials."

Well he migh have. And so might have Pete Rose (before Mr. Rose agreed to his lifetime ban from baseball). That's one of the reasons it's so frustrating to hear announcers, commentators, and reports comment "He's a future Hall of Famer."

But, maybe someone should acknowledge that Jose Canseco may be owed somewhat of an apology. Not because he was a good guy, but because he was slammed for all HIS lying and fabrications in his books and commentary.

dungarees@gmail.com

Posted by: Dungarees | January 11, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

"Selig: I'm shocked, shocked to find that steroid use is going on in here!
Fehr: Mr. Selig, here are your earnings.
Selig: (in sotto voice) Oh, thank you very much."
Posted by: elb160 | January 11, 2010 7:44 PM
==
Elb, you are 360 degrees right on the money, with this well-written post.
Perfect!
Thanks.
I hope Commissioner Selig considers what a black eye he will give baseball if he doesn't act immediately, not to mention his own reputation.
To his credit, he hasn't caved in on Pete Rose yet.
Neither has the Baseball Hall of Fame.
They need to dig in their heels and stand for keeping these awards pure and unsullied, no matter what pressure they get from those who have their favorites.
I am more than just disappointed at McGwire's admission.
I am furious.

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | January 11, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Selig: I'm shocked, shocked to find that steroid use is going on in here!
Fehr: Mr. Selig, here are your earnings
Selig: (in sotto voice) Oh, thank you very much.

Posted by: elb160

============

This so artfully sums it up that I had to repost it a second time.

Sigh. But I have to add that most of us were all in that gambling joint in Morrocco along with Selig. We tuned in for that big home run chase, rewarding baseball (and its televised sponsors) for bringing us this spectacle, as Sammy dogged at Mark's heels all summer in what had to be obvious was an other-worldly happenstance. It was common talk around water coolers, I recall, to wonder what was up. Are they juicing? Is the ball wound tighter in that mysterious factory down in the Dominican? Are the bats corked? All of the above? We all instinctively knew something was up, but we stayed glued to it anyway.

To be fair, some of us were drawing faith from the reservoir of legitimacy that MLB held, and thereby lent to the spectacle by its tacit approval of what was being shown to us. If these were legal games, played under traditional circumstances that our daddies would recognize, then we didn't want to miss history. And baseball wouldn't lie to us, would they?

It's sort of like the reasoning many people privately used to give President Bush the benefit of the doubt when he was telling us all about the threats to the country back in 2003 in such definite terms: "Gosh, I didn't vote for the guy, but a president wouldn't just lie about such serious matters - would he?"

Unfortunately, trust in both institutions is severely weakened now.

Posted by: B2O2 | January 11, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully he will NEVER get (...) any meaningful job in baseball.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 11, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Too late, I'd say, since he is going to become the hitting coach for the Cardinals.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 11, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Minor note. The Cards share a spring training facility in Jupiter, Florida not Petersburg.

Posted by: Sojouner | January 12, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

A couple things rang comical yesterday with McGuire's comments and Selig's press release. First, McGuire is still in denial about steroids claiming they didn't enhance his #s. Of course they did. That's why they are called PEDs and banned. And for Selig to claim baseball is totally clean now, is, frankly. offensive. Pleeezzzzzeeee! The steroid chemists are always way ahead of testing procedures. If Bud really believes that now, he needs to be relieved of his duties as commish.

Posted by: Sojouner | January 12, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

The use of steroids and amphetamines amongst today’s players has greatly subsided and is virtually nonexistent, as our testing results have shown,” Selig said in a statement”

Monty Python:

and may I take this opportunity of emphasizing that there is no cannibalism in the British Navy. Absolutely none, and when I say none, I mean there is a certain amount, more than we are prepared to admit, but all new ratings are warned that if they wake up in the morning and find any toothmarks at all anywhere on their bodies, they're to tell me immediately so that I can immediately take every measure to hush the whole thing up. And, finally, necrophilia is right out.

Posted by: zume1 | January 12, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Was steroid use actually against the MLB rules at the time that McGwire was using them?

Posted by: tango1 | January 12, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

McGuire's an entertainer. That's the long and short of it.

Why should it matter how he does it?

More to the point, why is Congress wasting money investigating sports? It's not as if the idiots can't find enough ways to waste the nation's treasure without investigating sports.

Posted by: rmlwj1 | January 12, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cheeseburger53 ===============================

Um, let me see if I understand the "trend" correctly.... Marion Jones, a black woman with a new baby, admits to steroid use and goes to jail.

But, Mark McGwire, a white man, should go to the HOF....

Other baseball players just get a slap on the wrist and everybody forgets about it.

Hummm...what's wrong with this picture.

Posted by: MUPPET | January 12, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

so the lesson for big mark's kids and any others foolish enough to admire athletes is to cheat when it is convenient, take the millions and then years away from having to pay any societal penalty cry a little bit on the way the spring training. the rule is to deny everything if you can get away from it-i guess we are lucky he is not an accountant or stock broker since he will do what it takes and cry years later. if he writes a multimillion dollar check to youth charities and declines consideration for the hall of fame, then he will gain some credibility. i was naive enough to teach my children not to cheat and break laws and perhaps my career suffered, but some things are more important.

Posted by: george32 | January 12, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

@MUPPET Last time I checked Marion Jones was sent to prison for lying to federal investigators about her steriod use. On the other hand McGwire never lied to federal authorities (read Congress), but he did lie to the general public, however, that is not a crime.

Posted by: cowpasture | January 12, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

The only qualifying factor in the HOF worthiness for Mac was the home run totals and the record setting season of 1998. Well with the steroid usage now admitted by Mac, those numbers are called into direct question. How many would he have hit had he not been juicing - and given his injury history, how healthy would he have been to pursue those records? his career numbers otherwise are very unimpressive and certainly NOT HOF worthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Selig, if he has any sense at all will make an example out of Mac and forbid him from reentering baseball as a coach UNTIL he comes clean about everything, tells what he knows about the Roid Era, and does public service going to schools and talking to young people about the dangers of steroid usage.

Posted by: bendersx6 | January 12, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

McGwire, and the rest of the steroid gang, is exactly why I do not watch baseball anymore. Nor do I patronize anything related to baseball.

Posted by: krankyman | January 12, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Good column. Good to see someone taking an adult approach to this for a change.

Posted by: silencedogoodreturns | January 12, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

The guy is a cheater. All his records should be stripped from him, and he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Hall of Fame. He shouldn't be allowed to coach or manage, let alone play again!

Posted by: GenuineRisk | January 12, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully he will NEVER get into the HOF or any meaningful job in baseball.

Posted by: fearturtle44

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hate to g
burst your tabloid mentality butthole. You have a lot of Hall of Fame heroes worse cheaters and characters than McGwire and Rose, ie the black soxs took the fall for Cobb and his his kind in their era.

Wouldn't you say the most important position and greatest role model in the US is the POTUS.

I would bet my life, if you even vote, have voted for a chronic womanizer, a drunk until he was forty or a guy who proudly admitted he used illegal drugs in his book(now that is stupid stupid).

Those guys character have and has had a direct influence upon you and your families lives. Look around, This country is in a mess.

These athletes provide entertainment, my goodness their character don't affect our lives.

I am a lifetime baseball fan. The first thing I can remember in life is listening to Harry Carey and the Cardinals. My greatest joy in baseball was watching the home run battle between McGwire and Sosa. Hall of Fame moment for me.

I wonder what stones these tabloid sports writers of today could throw at their glass house. You know in the old days baseball reporters never wrote about Ruth, Cobb, or Mantle misdeeds. They would not write about the players misdeeds because they were doing the same thing. Some honesty then. It took these tabloid reporters to bring their misdeeds up a long time later. I think I will take the old time reporters.

I never needed Mantle's failures and misdeeds exposed. He was mortal. I knew he had faults because being mortal I knew I had faults too. I certainly enjoyed his God given talents.

How can fans be stupid enough to make super heroes of these athletes. I always admired their skills than their morals.

Stan Musial is my only baseball hero. Always has and always will be. He was a great baseball player and also a great man. But I still realize he probably had a few bad habits. I just have no need to know them.

Let's leave that tabloid mentality, fans and especially the Media, and just play the GAME. Game of great skills. Get it? A GAME. It isn't sending kids to WAR. It is just a GAME, played sometimes by flawed people, not killers and thieves, but flawed someway in most cases.

Posted by: bnw173 | January 12, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I cannot understand how anyone could justify McGwire's actions or contend that he should be nominated to the Hall of Fame, unless they plan to build a wing for cheaters. He is a lying cheater. He is entitled to forgiveness (as we all are), but certainly he has not earned a spot in the HOF with the greats who played the game without performance enhancers.

Sure, if he wants to be a batting coach, he has the right to earn that living, but the players coached by him should be tested weekly. In fact, perhaps the leagues should require weekly testing of all the players.

Posted by: eed017 | January 12, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

None of which chnages the eternal fact that he is a lying, cheating coward who didn't have the guts to play the game as a real athlete.
But, by all means, let's celebrate his "smartness."
s_a_b

Posted by: s_a_b | January 12, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Why not have drug test for fans and Media. You folks want them banned from watching a week, month, year or what. Name me a few of those clean HOF's.

Why not have drug testing for politicians. Those folk's GAME really affect us. Look around.

Posted by: bnw173 | January 12, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The truth is McGwire would not have had half the home runs without the assistance of steroids. Nothing but a cheater.

Posted by: nabel126 | January 12, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

He made $75M cheating. He could have made $40M or so without cheating.

This is a good example of poor character. He deserves no homerun record and no hall of fame. You can't let someone lose their record to a cheater. That is unfair.

drinking and womanizing are different than betting on the game or taking banned substances.

If you cheat, you don't deserve someone else's record, and you don't deserve the Hall of Fame.

This is like George Tenet's Medal of Freedom.

Okay, maybe even like Obama's Nobel Peace Prize.

Posted by: jackson641 | January 12, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

McGwire is garbage, let's face it, with no ethical stance at all here. He doesn't belong in baseball, his records should be erased, and he certainly doesn't belong in the hall of fame. He knew what he was doing; he cheated; then he lied about it. Enough said. He'll be lucky to survive the massive steroid / human growth hormone usage into his Fifties. He's got enough dough for a nice nursing home, when the time comes.

Posted by: MickNamVet | January 12, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

So when is Cal Ripken going to come clean and admit he did roids?

Posted by: Negro_Dialect | January 12, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Taking the Fifth means he didn't lie? Anyone, who had eyesight, knew this guy was using. He bulged like Popeye. Now, he will work with the Cards. Must be nice... What a fraud...

Posted by: janeyre | January 12, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Aaron and Maris. Period.

Posted by: 6thandD | January 12, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I think the question isn't whether he took steroids or whether he abused them.

I'm a steroid user and believe in them, I had a sciatic nerve that was absolutely killing me with pain. The Dr, prescribed steroids and the pain was gone within a week.

I had a serious sinus infection this past Thanksgiving. Got steroids and presto the inflammation was gone.
Yep I'm a steroid user, but I don't abuse them.

An athlete is highly nervous before a game and it affects his game. He takes a 0.125 mg. Zanax before games and performs great. Is he a cheat? Has migraine headaches and takes a couple of Tylenol or Bayer before the game. Is he a cheat too.

Posted by: bnw173 | January 12, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Aaron and Maris. Period.

Posted by: 6thandD
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How do you know they didn't cheat someway. Aaron hit a lit of home runs. Couldn't have been that short fence they built for him in Atlanta, Right?
Maris hit a very uncharacteristic 61 homers one year. Must of cheated some way.
He never came close again.

Posted by: bnw173 | January 12, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

For many, baseball lost all credibility and support back during 1994, and it has done relatively little to regain support since. Mark McGuire's belated admission is characteristic of the sport's attitude - self-centered and over-paid individuals who would do anything for personal gain - and simply further begs the question: 'Who are the real non-users and would they please step forward to be tested?'

Posted by: connerabr | January 12, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

The only reason that McGwire came out now, was because he wanted to get back into baseball. If he didn't, he still would professing his innocence. And he shouldn't get into the Hall of Fame. That would be a travesty, and would taint the memory of all of those players who are there, and played clean. Now, Sosa, Bonds, and Clemens should come clean as well.

Posted by: caribbeanjoe | January 12, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How do you know or prove that. Maybe if he had left steroids alone he may have played into his forties like Aaron and be the home run king. Maybe he really cheated himself. That theory is as valid as yours.

My God, have you ever tried to put that little ole bat on a crazy moving speeding baseball. You can't convince me any pill or shot can make that happen. Hell, if that was possible the majors would have a hundred teams and home run records galore.
I might just be one myself.

You folks must be all couch potatoes. Have you even tried to hit a self tossed rock with a broom handle?

Posted by: bnw173 | January 12, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

McGwire: a fraud before his statement, a fraud after his statement, a fraud forever.

Posted by: wadeb123 | January 12, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I thought McGwire wasted an opportunity. I found his full statement and teary short-version memoire of what a hitting specimen he has always been ("My first hit in Little League wasa Home Run!") to be all ego. He could have given us a little more understanding of how widespread 'roid use was "...in that era..."

Let the chemicals flow! Part of charting athletic performance is the thrill of watching barriers get broken, a thrill we all experienced during the Sosa-McGwire home run derby. There was not a serious fan who doubted their hypertrophied musculature was the fruit of truly dedicated and manic use of 57 herbs and spices.

Performance enhancing drugs in sports ?! Do tell! It has always been so. Despite the fact that McGwire must play to the rubes, has he ever appeared more cynical and scripted than he did yesterday?

Posted by: roboturkey | January 12, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Name one time you ever heard McGwire admit to steroid use before yesterday. (Well it seems he told the committee leaders he had but wouldn't talk about it unless he had immunity.) One time he admitted or denied. Name one time you ever heard of him talking about it. One.
He did not lie even by omission. He just wouldn't talk about it.
How about some truth from posters.

Posted by: bnw173 | January 12, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

My major interest in Baseball is as part of America's social fabric (racism etc). That it takes remarkable skill and athleticism at the highest levels is beyond question. Mr McGuire's act of healing has far more societal value than his election to the Hall of Fame would have under the cloud that existed. We have thousands dead and injured (Iraq and Afghanistan) because of lies that were told to the American people. Mr McGuire has demonstrated something that many of our elected Representatives and others could try and emulate. He told the truth because it was time.

Posted by: Draesop | January 12, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe he should have paused at least a second between words for you slow folks. I had no trouble understanding what he meant. He did hit 49 homers as a skinny rookie. Some monsters. I forget which, but I heard some center fielder telling about playing Oakland McGwire's rookie season and him hitting a homer in left center. He said it was hit so far he didn't even move. Just watched the ball. When it landed he thought that "damn, I can't even throw a ball from where I'm standing to where that ball landed, and I have a strong arm".

I've never forgotten that quote.

Posted by: bnw173 | January 12, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I think we've found the recipe for admitting steroid use. Simply say you were doing it to get over an injury and the plublic will be more forgiving. However, something still smells with Big Mac and Pettite. Sure they've admitting some use, but I doubt they've admitted all.

Same with ARod, saying he only used while in Texas. Please! He has ballooned since being on the Yanks.

Posted by: dclifer97 | January 12, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Boswell, this column is an an attaboy for lawyers. McGwire followed his lawyers' advice to keep his mouth shut, while Clemens and Bonds disregarded it. Laywers' advice may seem to be bad for PR but it keeps you out of jail.

Posted by: Hobbes3 | January 12, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Boz, I love the way he leans on the lawyers as scapegoats for not letting him tell the truth way back when, and in reality they saved his once, very long ago, scrawny keyster.

His mea culpa sounds hollow and self-serving to me. His explanations and ideas about the amazing lack of benefits the PED's had on him are something else. He seems sorry that he was the guy getting grilled, the guy paying the price for simply having played in the era. Poor Mark.

BTW, do a little research on the McGwire brothers and 'roids - those guys have been widly involved for well more than 20 years. And Mac is crying about having to tell his Dad he used as if it was some shock to Pops -- his brother Jay, a veritable PED expert, has been telling the world about his own and Mark's use of the stuff for a long time. Poor, poor Mark.

Posted by: dfh21 | January 12, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse