2008: Attention High, Awareness Low

Months before the first votes are cast, two-thirds of Americans say they are paying close attention to the race for the White House, but few have yet learned much about the candidates' positions on the issues, according to the new Washington Post-ABC News poll .

Fred Thompson, who is considering a run for the Republican nomination and visited Capitol Hill this week to test the waters, is the least well known. Just one in 10 Republicans and Republican-leaning independents in the Post-ABC News poll said they knew a great deal or a good amount about his positions and 68 percent say they know little or nothing about his stands.

In the national poll, Thompson registered at 9 percent in the GOP nomination battle, well behind Republican frontrunners Giuliani and McCain.

Knowledge of candidate positions among leaned Republicans:

A great dealA good amountOnly someLittle or noneNo opinion
Rudy Giuliani 11% 26% 41% 21%*
John McCain14303421*
Mitt Romney593451*
Fred Thompson462168*

Far more people said they knew about Hillary Clinton's positions on the issues, which is perhaps unsurprising after 15 years in the national spotlight. However, even now only one in five said they knew a great deal about her positions.

Knowledge of candidate positions among leaned Democrats:

A great dealA good amountOnly someLittle or noneNo opinion
Hillary Clinton 19% 33% 34% 14%*
Barack Obama7183837*
John Edwards6234130*

Full question wording available here.
More information about Post polls is available at www.washingtonpost.com/polls.

By Jennifer Agiesta  |  April 19, 2007; 7:30 AM ET
Categories:  Post Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Their Own Words: Independents and War
Next: Earth Day at 37

Comments

As a Democrat, Sen Thompson is candidate I fear the most; his presence and presentation are very presidential; however his positions appear to be to the right of Pres Bush and are probably the wrong positions for this election. My conclusion, he will not enter the race.

Posted by: JDonTn | April 19, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I encourage Mr. Fred Thompson to enter the race, this way he will make sure we elect a Democratic President. Can you imagen another 4 or 8 long more years of Bushness?

Posted by: Equalizer | April 19, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I saw Fred Thompson on a Sunday news show recently and was thoroughly unimpressed. If elected, he will bring no new ideas and will be as poor a manager as GWB, if that is possible. Worse, he is NOT the man to clean up after GWB. He would continue business as usual which this country and this world cannot endure. If this is the best the republicans have to offer -- an old guy with cancer, an older guy with cancer, and a former mayor more crooked than the hind legs on my terrier -- I say BRING IT ON. Oh, wait, did someone say that already?

Posted by: MO | April 19, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson is fine with me, I'll vote for him (but never for Giulliani). I'd rather Brownback, but I'll settle for Thompson.

Posted by: david williams | April 19, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I WOULD VOTE REPUBLICAN FOR FRED THOMPSON AND I AM A DEMOCRAT. NO ROMENY - "ICKY!" AS LONG AS THOMPSON DOESN'T SHOVE THE RELIGION FACTOR DOWN THE THROATS OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. HAD ENOUGH OF THAT CRAP FROM OLD BUSHIE - LAME DUCK SO CALL PRESIDENT!

HILARY CLINTON - NO WAY! JOHN EDWARDS - YES! OBAMA - YES! TO BAD BILL CLINTON ISN'T RUNNING AGAIN!

Posted by: espo! | April 19, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Thompson..presidential?? You have got to be kidding! We need someone in there that can really clean things up. Someone who has experience cleaning things up. Still deciding... (this rules out Clinton, Obama, McCain, Edwards, Thompson).

Posted by: Joe Miller | April 20, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I do find it interesting that a canidate that has NOT announced they are running for president and has NOT spent the money like all the others (Rep. and Dem.)even draws the attention for this article. Fred Thompson has a great deal of appeal to alot of people. If he was to toss his hat in the ring officially the truth is the numbers would sore. Why would I say that? Well, Google and search people. Among all those talking it seems to be alot of people looking for a Horse in this race that can win. Alot of folks are talking about Fred. Yes, mention his name He has the potential to change to picture. Polls are funny things. Yes, they are. However, all to often they change over time. When is the election? Gee, seems like alot could happen. How much money is being spent by Fred so far? Isn't it amazing he seems to show up on all this poles with all those others that are "running". That alone says alot for Fred Thompson.

Posted by: Rod | April 20, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I Forgot one thing in my above previous post. Thompsons and Gore have something in common don't they? Alot of Democrats look to Gore still. You need to go look at that "little something in common." Look at there approval ratings and there margins of victory. It's a small little thing dealing With Gores Senate seat. Once again it's about appealing to a wide base of voters. Fred Thompsons must have gotten votes from those same people Gore did? HMMMM. guess we will have to wait and see.

Posted by: Rod | April 20, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse