WaPo-ABC Track: I'm Rubber, You're Glue

Half of all voters think John McCain has gone too far in criticizing Barack Obama, while most think Obama has been measured in his return volleys.

To play catch-up, McCain, who has not lead in a national poll in six weeks (more than 155 polls according to pollster.com), has increased his hits on the Democratic nominee. Many now think he has crossed the line: 50 percent in a new Washington Post-ABC News poll said he has been overly critical.

Fewer, 16 percent of all likely voters and 27 percent of Republicans said McCain should be attacking more. The rest said McCain has handled those attacks about right.

On the flip side, two-thirds said Obama has criticized McCain at about the right level. About a quarter think he has gone too far; 44 percent of Republicans and 21 percent of independents feel this way. Independents are substantially more critical of McCain's approach: 48 percent said the Republican has gone too far.

Obama voters overwhelmingly believe McCain has unfairly gone after their guy, while far fewer of McCain's see Obama as crossing the line (78 vs. 42 percent).

Critical Thinking

Q: In terms of criticizing Obama, do you think McCain has gone too far, not far enough, or handled it about right?

[Chart]

Q: In terms of criticizing McCain, do you think Obama has gone too far, not far enough, or handled it about right?

[Chart]

By Jon Cohen  |  October 31, 2008; 5:15 PM ET
Categories:  Tracking
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WaPo-ABC Tracking: Race, Ethnicity and Turnout
Next: WaPo-ABC Tracking: Parsing the Ideological Divide

Comments

Lefties live in a different world, where being told what they want to hear is truth. Obama is a slick anti-American politician that easily fools the young idealists and one time voters that think they're participating in a "historic moment" in American politics.

Posted by: vet4u | October 31, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

cCain certainly showed himself as being unfit, and using dirty downright unethical tactics. His advisors sure learned well from George Bush and that gang of theives how to be the lowest, and McCain just did as he was told. Clone - you betcha. He and his Pit Bull pick for VP would bring this country to its knees.

As far as Palin's stupidity and telling women they are treated like second class citizens in this country - that is about the most hairbrain way of trying to win over the women in this Presidential campaign. Maybe the folks in Alaska do not treat their women folk as kindly as their Husky Dogs but that is her problem since Alaska is her state, so Palin hope you have your reservation for your flight back and goo riddence to bad rubbish!

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | October 31, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

you will never mistake repugs for intellectuals... but children they are. Well they had their party, trashed the house. YOU'RE GROUNDED !!!

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | October 31, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

The People have put the GOP on mute. Their incompetence and failures have spoken for them long enough.

GOP voters live in a parallel universe where hating the govt & demonizing their fellow citizens as 'anti-American' is somehow patriotic. You people will find out exactly how wrong you are over the months & years to come.

Posted by: ssomo | November 1, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Hmm...the Palin-McCain supporters don't seem to get it even when it stares them in the face, most people believe the attacks on Obama are over the top. This nonsense coming out of the mouths of Palin and NcCain about "palling around with terrorists", suggesting one part of America is "Pro America" and another is not or there being a "REAL America" as opposed to a fake America or that "liberals hate America" or that Obama is a socialist just pushes away moderates of both parties and definitely independents. On the latter I speak from personal experience, it certainly did me aside from the Palin choice.

If Palin-McCain lose they and their supporters who only seem to be able to spew smears, lies and hate have done it to themselves.

Posted by: wes1155 | November 1, 2008 4:07 AM | Report abuse

I have noticed that more and more on the right are going into denial. As a supporter of Democrats that is fine. As an American I am concerned because they just might kill the Republican party. Remember the GOP is the young party. The Democratic Party decends from Jefferson. The Republican Party emerged from the wreakage of the Wig Party. I am begining to wonder if I will see the new party in my lifetime.

Posted by: bradcpa | November 1, 2008 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse than Palin, McCain adds "Joe the Plumber" to participate in his rallies. This guy is scary to me, calling McCain "a real American", meaning again that anyone with differing views from the extreme Right are "Anti-American". This kind of labeling, divisive, ignorant talk is very distressing to me - in fact down right frightening to me. I am a republican from central PA voting for Obama/Biden. And I can tell you I am not alone in my area - the Obama signs are everywhere. I can only hope PA comes through for Obama on Tuesday.

Posted by: sueinpa1 | November 1, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Joe the Plumber: A random guy Obama stops to talk to, then McCain comes around like an ambulance chaser and elevates him to some sort of wronged national hero. Do you think Joe has read either of these guys' tax plans? After the debate Joe the Opportunist got himself a manager and John McCain, grasping for a direction, any direction, for his campaign, now has all his eggs in Joe's basket. Sometimes I'm thankful that my parents are not around to see what their Republican party - you remember the one - of moderation, intellectualism, fiscal conservatism, and racial and social tolerance - has turned into, now bringing us Mrs Palin - barely able to complete a college degree and elected into her current position with a whopping 115,000 votes from people who were likely not thinking about the national scene - and Joe the Plumber. Nov 5 will not come soon enough.

Posted by: JulieMcNamara | November 1, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse