Anchored by Melissa Bell  |  About  |  Get Updates:  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed

I like it on ... your Facebook status

height
(James M. Thresher/The Washington Post)

5:00 p.m.

My friend Gen likes it on the barstool. My friend Jasmine likes it in the car.

Get your mind out of the gutter.

They're talking about their purses.

Titillating the Facebook newsfeeds today, women are posting where they like to keep their purses when they come home, but they conveniently leave out the word "purse."

Men are not supposed to know what it means. So stop reading now, men.

The trend follows the January Internet meme in which women posted the color of their bra as their Facebook status.

Both are to raise awareness of breast cancer. October is Breast Cancer Month. (It's also Cybersecurity Awareness Month, but that's another story entirely.)

The question remains whether the viral campaign actually does raise awareness or just raises eyebrows.

One response to a Facebook status: "Woah is right. Overshare."

Update, 10:45 p.m.

Men: Hmph. Some of the not-so-fair sex have complained that this post is sexist as they are forbidden to read past the jump. Others have complained about the actual Internet meme: "Yeah, that's a great way to get men on board with breast cancer awareness month...alienate them."

We suggest going with the flow, men. Men can put purses places these days too.

Oh, and ladies, go take a breast exam.

By Melissa Bell  | October 5, 2010; 8:49 PM ET
Categories:  The Daily Catch
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chain gang redux? Prisoners should work to compensate for crime, U.K. justice secretary says
Next: Morning music: Bodies in urban spaces

Comments

Thanks Melissa!

Posted by: parkca01 | October 5, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I think it's stuid to alienate men from this, not because they might get mad but because you're trying to raise awareness...kind of counter productive to not tell HALF THE POPULATION....anyway im pretty sure 50+% of men know what its about...

Posted by: grecko | October 5, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

It does seem rather condescending towards the male gender, what with the "Hmp" and "Not-so-fair" sex. How do purses relate to breast cancer anyway? This seems rather petty in general, in some sort of "secret lol girls club no boys allowed" club. Write more appropriately for a two-gendered world and in a less demeaning fashion, please.

Posted by: Jdickman89 | October 6, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure it actually does alienate men. We are all talking about it, people are willing to answer when queried obviously. The point is to instigate the query itself. What about the Movember campaign (www.movember.com)? A wonderful idea to raise awareness for prostate cancer by way of a giant mustache growing competition, I feel neither angry nor alienated for not being able to participate (thought being Greek, that is arguable...) The feigned secrecy and titillating nature of the campaign is most likely designed to get YOUNG people interested in the conversation about breast cancer, as sexual innuendoes - even lightly veiled ones - always peek our interest. They are also the least likely to get screened or encourage their partners to get screened. And purses have quite a lot to do with breast cancer when you consider that the majority of breast owners are purse owners as well. Let's all smooth our feathers and remember what it is really all about...and I'll buy a comb in support of my husband's mustache next month.

Posted by: sierramtlion | October 6, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Men can be so shallow - especially when they're confused as is evidenced by this reaction.

Posted by: kidfishman | October 6, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

i like it without crust, extra turkey, whenever myself or my friends enter the room.

it's in preparation for June's hunger awareness month, only men are allowed to know what it's talking about.

WARNING:WOMEN DO NOT GO BEYOND THIS POINT!!!

SERIOUSLY!

YOU'LL RUIN OUR EFFORTS TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE OF HUNGER AWARENESS MONTH IF YOU READ THIS AND BECOME NOTIFIED!!!

Men....it's how we like our women to make our sandwiches =D

Sexist? suck it, it holds just as much legitimacy as this breast cancer crap and all the people supporting this viral trend

Posted by: garikhauer | October 6, 2010 5:05 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone ever thought about the ramifications this may have? Several of my friends (females) have already brought up that this could lead to "Smash and Grabs".

Knowing exactly where a lady leaves her purse makes it easier to break in, grab the bag and leave.

Do you really think this is an intelligent way to spread the awareness of breast cancer? I hardly think so.

Posted by: drastic83 | October 6, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I think it's great and works beautifully on several levels. I've been thinking about breast cancer for the past three minutes as I read the piece and the comments. It otherwise wouldn't have crossed my mind.

Also, as a man, there is nothing more interesting for me to read than something that says "So stop reading now, men". I'll check with my wife tonight on the last time she got examined and encourage her to go if it's been too long.

Posted by: WorldCup | October 6, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Who cares where your purse is.. you just sound like a wh0re. Breast cancer awareness is an extremely important cause to me since I lost my Mom to breast cancer 3 years ago. I do not think it is funny how people "like it on their desk at work or on their kitchen table." I think it is extremely disrespectful to those who have been affected by breast cancer. Many people only think about breast cancer when October rolls around, I think about it everyday.

Posted by: aw21 | October 6, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with aw21 - the whole thing is incredibly disrespectful to those of us who have been affected by the disease. Early detection of my breast cancer earlier this year saved my life - I'm 28 years old. I felt insulted when I logged onto facebook today to find that dozens of my friends had turned breast cancer awareness into some perverted game. Why can't people just post a status reminding their facebook friends to check themselves regularly? That might actually save someone's life...but I guess it wouldn't be as fun as posting a stupid, cryptic status about how you "like it on the kitchen table".

Posted by: phdwannabe | October 6, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

And some of the latest most popular Facebook status:

I love the floor
I like it on the kitchen counter
I love her on the bed
I love her on the couch I Like It On Facebook Status http://usspost.com/i-like-it-on-facebook-status-18745/

Posted by: susan166 | October 7, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

omg, people. don't think too much. you'll hurt yourselves.

Posted by: njrunner1 | October 7, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

omg, people. don't think too much. you'll hurt yourselves.

Posted by: njrunner1 | October 7, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Ok so I do not agree with this at all! How are you raising awareness??? by this?? your leading on men! Why not do this ..... I dont understand how posting where you like your purse helps raise awareness for beast cancer!! My friend Thomas had an idea let post our favorite verse cause the one who wrote the book is the one and only that can heal you of this or keep you from this! ......Instead of posting where you like it post your favorite bible verse address.. and what version you found it.. cause in all honesity only the one who created that book can heal you or give power for you to be healed! Wake up AMERICA thank GOD you are a survivor and show others what he says!!! Luke 9:1...Sadly more people will put where they like it more than where it can be found!

Posted by: mrandmrsswilley08 | October 7, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrandmrsswilley08 | October 7, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I also agree with aw21, what does this have to do with breast cancer awareness? It's just another stupid status update to get men interested, which, again, has nothing to do with breast cancer awareness, honestly it's just ridiculous, why does everything have to do with a thinly veiled reference to sex (or actually not so thinly veiled!!)? I'm thinking this was actually started by a man, I believe a woman would have just reminded all of us to be sure to self-screen and get your yearly mammogram & exam. Honestly people, let's not keep this stupid thing going, dislike!!!

Posted by: abbynrml70 | October 7, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

This is a truly terrible, terrible article.

Posted by: stephie21 | October 11, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse