Toasted skin syndrome: Laptops burning skin
Today's disturbing technological-medical lesson: Laptops should not stay in the lap for very long.
"Toasted skin syndrome" is what Swiss researchers have dubbed a mottled-skin condition caused by long-term heat exposure.
Researchers at University Hospital Basel chronicle the case of a 12-year-old boy in a study released Monday in the journal Pediatrics.
The boy kept the computer on his leg for hours while playing video games. Ten other patients have reported the syndrome, but the researches said there were probably no major medical consequences aside from the stained skin.
The Awl Web site has a good rule of thumb for laptop users: "Don't keep it on your lap past the point where you feel like your thighs are on fire."
Coming on the heels of the Las Vegas "Death Ray" hotel that scorches people's skin, I'm planning on just staying away from all things metal.
Update: An astute reader has pointed out that the hotel is made of glass and most laptops made of plastic. So my poorly told joke is not only poorly told, but also incorrect. I'm now planning to move to the forest to avoid any material other than wood. Though I suppose that burns too. Ah, forget it.
Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 4, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: shershon1 | October 4, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: LittleRed1 | October 4, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 4, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: mwhalen1 | October 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse