Anchored by Melissa Bell  |  About  |  Get Updates:  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed

UFO in New York? This is starting to get eerie ...

By Melissa Bell
height
An image released by the French government is among 1,600 UFO case files spanning the past half-century. (French National Center for Space Studies)

Things are officially getting weird around here.

A few weeks back, reports surfaced that the United Nations was about to appoint an alien ambassador. Sure, Mazlan Othman, a Malaysian astrophysicist and head of the U.N. Office for Outer Space Affairs, issued a denial to the Guardian that she would be taking on the mantle of the official greeter to the stars.

However, on Oct. 5 at a Royal Society meeting, she said the United Nations ought to be thinking about the important question of who should represent humanity if aliens do come to this planet.

The same week that Othman denied the ambassador role, The Post's John Kelly headed to a news conference where U.S. Air Force officers announced that "UFOs have been systematically hovering over our country's nuclear missiles and occasionally disabling them."

Readers responded with vehemence to his column: "You smug, shallow, myopic [expletive]," one reader wrote Kelly. "I grew up in Wyoming and have personally seen UFOs. They are quite real. Do some research and stop being a skeptical windbag. You know nothing."

Then last week, air traffic controllers in China closed an airport because of what they believed to be a UFO. It was the eighth time since July. The eighth!

Three new books were released on the subject, all beginning with the premise that UFOs do exist. Joshua Blu Buhs writes: "Believing in UFOs is a rational response to the world as it is experienced. Perhaps our jokes, then, stem from lack of understanding -- or fear."

We also just so happened to find a habitable planet relatively nearby?

Now, New Yorkers reported seeing a UFO over the Chelsea neighborhood.

Some people say it was a cluster of balloons.

I'm not buying it.

I'm heading out and stocking up on Reese's Pieces.

Update: I just got this note from a reader, "Melissa - if you've never seen one, I understand skepticism. At age 23, with 6 friends coming off a boat dock in Ohio, we saw a huge cigar-shaped UFO being chased by two Air Force jets - watched it for about a minute, then the ship just accelerated and left the planes behind. Clear blue sky, perfect day. No question. This stuff does happen."

Cue Twilight Zone music now. I just hope aliens really do like Reese's Pieces.

By Melissa Bell  | October 14, 2010; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  What the Post?
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Smuggie: The tweetin' Snuggie
Next: The McRib locator: Tracking the Bigfoot of McDonald's sandwiches

Comments

First multiple sightings in China and now this one in New York. Looks like the aliens are targeting the two largest economies. Maybe they think it is time for the truth to come out. It is the US military/intelligence community that does not want the truth about advanced aliens visiting from outer space to be revealed, since that would undermine US military and economic dominance of the world. This elaborate coverup has been going on for almost 60 years. See www.ufocoverup.org for more info

Posted by: Dave77 | October 14, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Look!! Up in the sky!! What is that!?

Meanwhile the banksters and Congress and war monger corporations are picking deep in your pocket as you are distracted by this.

Posted by: coqui44 | October 14, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

the only way to resist them is with tinfoil

Posted by: funkey | October 14, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Luckily, coqui44, I'm a lowly journalist. There is nothing in my pocket to pick. Plus, my dress has no pockets.

Posted by: MelissaBellPost | October 14, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

The airport shut down in Mongolia was SEPTEMBER 11TH!!! Yet, it didn't happen, apparently, until ABC News reported it ALMOST A MONTH LATE, last week.

Posted by: igorchihuahua | October 14, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Joshua Blu Buhs...

You just can't make this stuff up!

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | October 14, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

They might be balloons. Humor me. Look through the following clips and tell me you still think they are balloons.

Oct. 13 2010 Webcam UFO Sightings: go to youtube and find these:
SF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpHxWRKhdTU
Seattle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nXT1zgqk7Q
NYC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_XjkcrNRs

Posted by: TinkererJim | October 14, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Think they are just looking for one of their own, aka the POTUS!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jimbo77 | October 14, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Bunch of dumb a-holes will believe anything they see on youtube. C`Mon people! You could doctor any video up and put it on youtube and get people to believe!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 14, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

2 of those youtube clips are from public webcams. The NYC one I saw it live here: http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/midtown/?cam=empiresouth#

Many people saved the footage on youtube you can find it. Look at it live now (~7PM ET) and you don't see any lights floating about. Last night there was plenty of action. Lights floats in to view, hover like it's been pinned in the air, then float away. The cam refreshes every 3~4 seconds however, but there's no way a copter or a plane that far away can maneuver like that

Posted by: TinkererJim | October 14, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a bit egocentric to believe aliens are coming all the way from their planets to mess with us. Let's face it, the odds of a hospitable planet within reasonable distance of us that has had a specific evolutionary process spiking at the point where a cultured species could create spacecraft that can travel many light years in a short time span, then choosing our planet, flying around barely making contact except a few electrical disturbances refusing to make any public contact despite obvious technological superiority, is slim to none. I'm not going to contest the chain of events or the photoshopped pictures. It just mathematically and logically won't happen.

Posted by: lockwood1234 | October 14, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if it's okay to plug things in this comment area, but I've recently coauthored a book on UFOs called "Disclosure: Breaking Through The Barrier Of Global UFO Secrecy," available at Amazon, among other places. We've been waiting a long time for the kind of open appearance that will erase all doubts about UFOs as alien spacecraft being a reality, and the fact that that a former Air Force officer was able to predict the exact day, October 13, for the NYC sighting event has never happened before to my knowledge. Such predictions are usually/always completely in error and give the the serious UFO researchers a bad name, but this one is obviously different. I for one do not believe total disclosure on the part of world governments is coming soon, but this NYC sighting and other recent events may prove me wrong.

Posted by: sseancasteel | October 14, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Please read The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan before you go running around claiming that aliens are visiting our planet and/or the government is covering it up. I really miss scientific thinking and rational discourse in our society!

Posted by: gregguevara | October 14, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

There is life beyond this planet. Not that I expect anyone that hasn't seen a UFO to believe me, but there are space aliens. It's like living in 1200 AD and telling people that the world is not flat.

Posted by: robert_curley_jacobs | October 14, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Everyone mostly has a hard time imagining a UFO visting earth only to fly away (correct?)...The US airforce says they are not a threat to security (correct?) The valley of Hessdalen of Norway believe they could be a new form of energy worth harnessing (correct?) ABC news had the gumption to phone the China airport .. and got told they shut down there airport for 45 minutes because of a unidentified light phenomon (correct?)..OHare airport , Phoenix lights, Dublin Texas near Crawford...The list goes on untill it lists my expierances !What I dont get is and I really want to know is Why cant you believe the numbers in the volume of credited reports as deserving of investigation ? .. Is it fear based ?...I believe it is fear based because it took me over 2 years to rebound after my viewing a large illuminated craft and I can now state it could have taken me alot shorter time to recouperate from this real awareness if someone had only told me "it's ok, your not alone in seeing this reality".....I'am sorry to bother you guys in your set in cement reality but.....It just has to be asked if you can handle this reality ?.....PS they are very hard to measure because they can move so fast and also they can appear where once there was empty sky......not to mention arriving out of glass ..But thats another story that i have a witness too....
Have a nice day

Posted by: mmmmmmmm96 | October 15, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Hello from the other side of the big pond!..

I have been following this story very closly, from here in the UK. As a full-time freelance paranormal journalist, I am more than used to looking at UFO shots. I must admit that at first, I too thought that these objects might just be ballons. However, I hope that, even after over fourty years in the subject, I remain open-minded enough to accept that they just might not be! However this story turns out, it has been facinating to see the public's reaction to a daylight sighting right over NYC. Perhaps this shows us how the public would react, if a really big sighting/landing would take place in a major city. Even if any aliens did appear in broad daylight to the awaiting masses, would there still be many who would, despite the evidence, deney their presence? Makes you think eh?

Posted by: ufoflying1 | October 15, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"I think it's a bit egocentric to believe aliens are coming all the way from their planets to mess with us"

There have been almost 2,000 nuclear detonations on this planet since 1945. The U.S. July 1945 blast made a very effective long distance telephone call, one which any intelligent lifeform might investigate - lest the perps (us) one day bring their peculiar brand of friendship into neighboring systems one day. Not egocentric at all - highly logical in fact.

Posted by: stephanewuttunee | October 15, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

LETS DISCUSS THE FACTS HERE, APPLY COMMON SENSE, THEN YOU WILL REALIZE THIS "IMPOSSIBLE" EVENT REALLY DID HAPPEN.

Fact: Balloons cannot travel faster than a commercial airline.
Fact: Commercial airlines fly average 350-475mph.
Fact: When you see a plane fly 10,000 feet in the sky, it takes awhile for it to fly over your depth of vision
Fact: The lights judging from how far they were from the Earth, were traveling up and down and sideways at 5,000-8,000 ft per second.
Fact: There are three steady lights for awhile, but a forth light travels so fast veers up and right and must be travelling at 1400 mph - 2000 mph (depending on how far they were to earth). NO BALOON can even match this impossibility.
Fact: Even in the sky, a plane giving off light cannot be seen so bright in the daytime; yes at night it can. But no object can glow that kind of radiant light unless it's equivalent to the energy that a star light would give off.

Conclusion: Based on common sense and science, velocity, altitudes, etc. The only thing that could make sense or conclude what we have seen is that the impossible just happened.

I think it's quite magnificent and fascinating and I'm optimistic about how things go from here.

Posted by: milanociao | October 16, 2010 2:41 AM | Report abuse

I look up this web site and it looks like they have real alien footage. Do you know anything about it?

www.unawarefootage.com

Posted by: maryto16985 | October 17, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

"Some people say it was a cluster of balloons.

I'm not buying it."

Of course you aren't buying it. You haven't thought about it seriously.

Refer to my blog post linked at the end of this comment for a detailed examination.

Anyone can throw together a hodgepodge of speculation. What should differentiate you as a journalist is your ability to actually do research and present facts and perspective.

For example, if you actually watched Dr. Mazlan Othman's UN press conference on the 14th, you'd see her vehemently deny over and over again that she was ever appointed anything. AND you would have heard about plenty of actually interesting news topics, such as her discussion of how her UN office is guided by a mandate given by constituent nations. And how she believes that these nations must think long and hard about these issues. She also discusses the implications of ET life, as contrasted with ET intelligence, an oft ignored topic.

Please. I beg you to raise your own journalistic standards. Don't you know that people actually read what you write?

Posted by: dute | October 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse