Anchored by Melissa Bell  |  About  |  Get Updates:  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed

Beatles on iTunes: surprise, surprise

By Melissa Bell

The long-sought act missing from the iTunes playlist is finally in place.

beatles.jpg

It should be pointed out that the Beatles have more than 300 songs (and you can buy the whole slew of 'em for $149 on iTunes now), but journalists seem to have only one title in mind for today's cute headline contest.

Rolling Stone nominated ten songs as the all time best of the band. Which song are you most excited about buying? Or are you, like Rob Pegoraro, bored witless by this announcement and already have your full stock of Beatles' music?

If I still bought music on iTunes (Pandora changed my life), here's what I'd opt for:

By Melissa Bell  | November 16, 2010; 9:36 AM ET
Categories:  The Daily Catch
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Newsweek.com staff takes to Tumblr to save site
Next: Huffington Post sued by contributors to Huffington Post

Comments

Isn't Pandora great? I like screwing with it a bit by combining, you know, industrial rock with show-tunes.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Here's a question that borders on musical blasphemy. Has the music of the Beatles aged well? I can't tell because, as one old enough to remember the moon landings, this music is the soundtrack to my childhood. The emotional associations are just too strong for an objective evaluation. But what about you younger people? If you heard this music and didn't know the history, would you still think it wonderful?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 16, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

There are some great songs on the ballot, but the one that keeps rising to the top for me is "If I Fell." I love tight harmony in any song, and enjoy singing the harmony when "If I Fell" comes on the radio. "In My Life" is a close second for the same reason.

Follow-up question for you all: What was the FIRST Beatles song you ever heard? "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was mine, when I was 6.

Posted by: bucinka8 | November 16, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

'Here, There and Everywhere' is probably my favorite. It's so pretty. My mom bought 'Meet the Beatles' when I was seven. She was from England and was tickled at the sensation they were causing. All of those songs on that album are burned into my brain, in order.

Posted by: hoghaven | November 16, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I agree with "If I Fell" posted by bucinka8. Great harmonies. With regard to the first song I ever heard, while I don't remember that one, I do remember getting my first Beatle single, "I Should Have Known Better" (I believe the flip side was "Hard Day's Night") and listening to it endlessly, yet never tiring of it. To this day, it's still one of my favorites. For many reasons, there will never be another phenomenon like the Beatles. What a wonderful thing to have experienced growing up.

Posted by: WakeMeUpInJanuary09 | November 16, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Norwegian Wood. Beautiful melody with dark, edgy lyrics.

Posted by: jn22 | November 16, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Rain. I can listen to Rain over and over. It's probably Ringo's best drumming. Also, listen to I'm a Loser. John is doing Dylan, in his writing and harmonica playing. George, meanwhile, is doing Carl Perkins. And when it goes to chorus, Paul's bass is almost boogie-woogie. And it all works together.

Posted by: wlc8 | November 16, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

In answer to RD_Padouk, the craft is still undeniable. But as someone who was too young to listen to them during their run (born 1965), they are not my favorite band.

I liked them a bit more when I was younger, but as I've gotten older, I don't really share their concerns anymore, and the bands that came into their own as I was growing up - Talking Heads, REM, Pixies, Nirvana - have more of a nostalgic pull for me.

I own most of their albums from Rubber Soul on, and enjoy each of them, but none would be a desert island choice.

Oh, and favorite song? Maybe "Don't Let me Down".

Posted by: StPaul1 | November 16, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the Beatles have aged well. My daughters enjoy them. "I'm A Loser" was a song we played and laughed with after one broke up with her loser boyfriend.

Posted by: edlharris | November 16, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Favorite song depends on my mood.
I usually play "Ballad of John and Yoko" with the great harmonies of Paul and "Penny Lane" for the Paul's bass playing.

Posted by: edlharris | November 16, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

My Personal favorite is Paperback Writer - it absolutely rocks!

Posted by: NMModerate1 | November 16, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

My favorite: "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

Posted by: Daffodil123 | November 16, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I've tried to pin down one Beatles song that would qualify as my favorite, and I have just given up. Though "Here Comes the Sun" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" are both up there. Not too mention the Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/etc medley on side B of Abbey Road is just brilliant. As an aside, everyone should own a copy of Abbey Road. It's the embodiment of songwriting perfection.

And speaking from someone who was born sixth months before Lennon was shot, of course they have aged well. That level of quality songwriting is timeless.

Posted by: steve80 | November 16, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I nominate Because, from Abbey Road. The Beatles soar in their harmonies on that song in a way that surpasses most music of human history. They put Palestrina to shame. They make Mozart look like an amateur, not to mention the Beach Boys. On the rocking out side, I would go with Revolution.

Posted by: slawek | November 16, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I've got to pick an oddball, "Happiness is a Warm Gun" from the White Album.

Hearing that song (and side 4 of the White Album) when I was about 10 completely opened my mind to what was possible in songs and music. At the time I didn't know it was about heroin, but I could tell that it was sweet, sad, menacing, joking and a little insane all at once.

Posted by: bigbrother1 | November 16, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

What ? No one votes for Revolution 9 or Wild Honey Pie for best song ? How about You Know My Name, Look Up The Number ?

Posted by: rehillcj | November 16, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: Goodakm | November 16, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Not a Second Time

Posted by: ohwell1 | November 16, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I am the Walrus is my second favorite (behind Day in the Life). Surprised that's not yet mentioned.

Posted by: buckdharma | November 16, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Not A Second Time.

Posted by: ohwell1 | November 16, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Blackbird, Norwegian Wood, Golden Slumbers/medley & Day in the Life (not sure that's the right name). No way I could remember the 1st Beatles song I ever heard, my father is a HUGE fan and the Beatles were just on all the time growing up. Ooooh! She's Leaving Home. I AM pregnant, but last time I heard that I starting crying, at work!

Posted by: talleyl | November 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The rock and roll covers, Twist and Shout, Long Tall Sally, Roll Over Beethoven, Everybody's trying to be my Baby, etc. They were a great rock and roll band with a nice rock-abilly edge.

Posted by: pbassjbass | November 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I like "Should have known better", "and I love her" and "in my life" from the early stuff--also goofy songs like "Eight days a week".

I like the entire Rubber Soul and Revolver albums--just great stuff.

"Fixing a Hole" is probably my favorite from Sargent Peppers.

I tend not to like the later Beatles stuff because songs are constantly ruined by every damn fool so scared of not being cool and picking the obvious safe songs and trying to avoid as much as possible heartfelt love songs, which is to say being cool and looking down on early Beatles stuff in favor of the tougher later Beatles.

Posted by: daniel12 | November 16, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Norwegian Wood and Tomorrow Never Knows

Both poetic and evocative.

Posted by: zone22 | November 16, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I agree with If I Fell and Because. I also like I Want You, Helter Skelter, Yer Blues, Day In The Life, Tomorrow Never Knows.

I never liked In My Life for the same reason I have a hard time with Here, There And Everywhere: in both cases they tried to do it in the regular Beatles guitar-guitar-bass-drums structure, and in both cases it didn't really work. In "In My Life", you can hear Ringo struggling to figure out what to do, generally resorting to lounge-lizard snare-rim ride-cymbal work etc. And by the same token, in Here There And Everywhere, you can hear Harrison scratching his head trying to figure out whether he should be doing anything at all. If the Beatles had saved these two songs until 1968 or so, when they had a much richer palette and more instruments and combinations to choose from, both songs would have been much better.

Posted by: liatalcott | November 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Odd that the choices and comments do not include "She Loves You" . While not necessarily my favorite, it was the song that perhaps more than any other on the first 1 or 2 albums that sent rock and roll in a whole new direction beyond the 3 and 4 chord progression songs that preceeded them. Many guitar players who only knew 3 or 4 chord progressions were left behind when the Beatles started adding esoteric chord changes --majors to minors and back. And then there were the compleete rhytyhm cjanges. she Loves you was the breakthrough.

Posted by: jmsbh | November 16, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

People still talking about The Beatles? I wish folks would just let it be.

Posted by: RealTexan1 | November 16, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Not one mention of Across the Universe.

I am from the old school and think we should be rating album sides. What? Albums have sides?

Posted by: mwandrews | November 16, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Help!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | November 16, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Ticket To Ride and Day Tripper were the first ones ever heard and are still my favorites. George showed everyone what a guitar can really do. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is fabulous, but I always consider it a Clapton song. His guitar made it what it is.

Posted by: pgibson2 | November 16, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

This has probably been one of the hardest things I've done in a very long time. I had trouble deciding between Revolution, Martha My Dear, and I Saw Her Standing There. The problem I have is that I love the music from the beginning of The Beatles career, as well as the stuff from the end of the band's career.

Posted by: linarosedc | November 16, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I was twelve when the Beatles hit the states ..... first song I ever heard was either She Loves You or I Wanta Hold Your Hand. The entire White Album is still a standout, along with Revolver and Abbey Road. Hard Days Night, Revolution and Norwegian Wood still get to me as singles, but nothing beats the Golden Slumbers medley at the end of Abbey Road.

Posted by: talitha1 | November 16, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

To RD_Padouk; Yes, The Beatles songs have aged well. I bought the entire CD box set for my daughter last Christmas, and it is a hit in her freshman dorm.

As for the best song, I'd say Side 2 of Abbey Road, since all the sons run together ("step on the gas and wipe that tear away...")

Posted by: mandog | November 16, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Good Day, Sunshine. upbeat, the first or second song on one side of Revolver set up the rest of the album.

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | November 16, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I am the Walrus.

Also, really fond of John Lennon's solo song, Working Class Hero

Posted by: Chicagoburned | November 16, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

side B of Abbey Road

Posted by: PanhandleWilly | November 16, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"Get Back"

Get back Lorretta!

Your momma's wait'in for ya
In her high heeled shoes, and low neck sweater
Get back home Lorretta.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | November 16, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Across the Universe (with And Your Bird Can Sing a close second)

Posted by: bengt16 | November 16, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Mine has always been a toss up between Blackbird, Revolution and I've Just Seen a Face. To answer RD_Radouk: I'm 23 and I'd say the Beatles have aged extremely well. My parents are really young (born in the late 60s), so they weren't really listening to the Beatles music when I was growing up. Sure I'd heard a few songs, but I didn't truly discover it until high school. And I was amazed at the breadth of the music and all of the different sounds from a single group of musicians.

Posted by: tgrahamcrackers | November 16, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Revolution No. 9 (just kidding)

My favorite line:

Semolina Pilchard, Climbing Up the Eiffel Tower (along with the background bending notes)

Posted by: johng1 | November 16, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

All My Loving (nice lick in the middle by George, great driving rhythm by John), I Feel Fine (the riff is the song), And Your Bird Can Sing (guitar riff that today's guitar gods envy), Paperback Writer (saw McCartney do it on the original Epiphone Casino on his tour this year), Day Tripper (who didn't learn to play it?), Hard Day's Night (just so exuberant), the medley on side two of Abbey Road (She Came in Through the Bathroom Window) and I Want to Hold Your Hand.

I knew I had raised my kids right when all four decided they loved the Beatles. And that I my new bride had raised hers right when I learned that her daughter did too.

Posted by: JoeT1 | November 16, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wlc8
________________________

Agreed. I love virtually all their music, but Rain is the best for me. Honorable mentions: Paperback Writer, I'm Only Sleeping.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | November 16, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

and ...

She's leaving home (bye bye)

Posted by: johng1 | November 16, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The Beatles evolved so much over a short time. Listening to their entire body of work is like listening to several different groups who just happen to have the same name. My favorite song is whichever one I happen to be listening to at the time.

Posted by: grantmh | November 16, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

There is no way t peg what is the best. All I can say is I was fortunate to see the whole thing unfold in my youth, with each evolving album bringing excitement to everyone.

These guys had incredible synergy together!

Posted by: johng1 | November 16, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

The Beatles have lost relevance because their music has been inaccessible to so many people.

Here's one of my favorite covers of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

And here's an extraordinarly good remake of "Across The Universe"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvhtf09V4g

Enjoy!

Posted by: blasmaic | November 16, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Octopus's Garden, of course!

Posted by: sjp1 | November 16, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow Never Knows

Posted by: dropoutoflife | November 16, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bulldog!

Posted by: fmamstyle | November 16, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

If I Needed Someone

or maybe,

Hey Bulldog.

For now. I'll Cry Instead in a little while.

Tomorrow, It's Only Love

Posted by: Tenspeed | November 16, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

In looking at all the songs everyone has listed what is amazing is that this is just scratching the surface. They made so many, many great songs. Name any album and there so many more than have been mentioned. The White Album - Julia, Long Long Long, I Will, Cry Baby Cry, Everybody's Got Something to Hide.

An easier task is naming Beatle songs you don't like. I submit Ob La De Ob La Da and All Together Now.

Posted by: jimbo_benson | November 16, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Revolution! Pure John and pure rock and roll!

Posted by: dreshanyfe | November 16, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Nowhere Man

Posted by: bozhogg | November 16, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see someone else mentioned "She's Leaving Home." Always a sucker for ballads and songs about little slices of life.

Posted by: arancia12 | November 16, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Well I know which one my kids would nominate: Yellow Submarine! And to answer your question RD_Padouk, my kids are 8,7 and 4 and love the Beatles!

Suprised no one mentioned Helter Skelter or You Don't Love Me Anymore from the White Album.

As for me, I can't name one particular song that floats my boat more than another, too many magnificent numbers to choose from.

Posted by: rcupps | November 16, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone in life can get by without a little help from their friends....

Posted by: mlr3 | November 16, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Back in the USSR for dancing.
Norwegian Wood for dreaming.
Rocky Raccoon for drunken sing-a-longs.
Blackbird for pure poetry.
Abbey Road / Side 2 for pure fun.
O Darlin' for heartfelt wailin'.

Posted by: kbockl | November 16, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimbo_benson
---------
Oh, OK. Well, I can pass on Twist and Shout, Roll Over Beethoven, You Won't See Me (I think Anne Murray ruined that one for me), and Rock and Roll Music. I always thought Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da was funny when I was a child (the part where Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face).

I forgot to say before that with December coming up, I'll be looking forward to simply having a wonderful Christmas time!

Posted by: bucinka8 | November 16, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

There is no one Beatles song.
They were so awesome you never tired of their sound. The same band that could create Michelle and Yesterday could do The White Album, When I'm Sixty Four and Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I loved Harrison's Here Comes The Sun and thought Blackbird one of the coolest tracks they ever recorded.
Every time I decide that Abbey Road or the White Album was their absolute best I hear Revolver again and change my mind.

Martha My Dear, Lovely Rita, Baby You Can Drive My Car!
Thank you George Martin.

Posted by: menopausequeen | November 16, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

My all-time favorite Beatles song is Julia from the White Album!

Posted by: itsme1 | November 16, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I've Got A Feeling. Fixing A Hole. Or.. Dr. Robert.

Posted by: andrewzboard | November 16, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Here Comes the Sun.

Posted by: dollinge | November 16, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Dear Prudence.

Posted by: johnsfischer | November 16, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I think that given the range of a bank like The Beatles, from early '60s rock and roll to introspective ballads to celebrations of love, it is virtually impossible to pick "a" favorite song. For me, it is impossible; I have a hard enough time picking a favorite song off a single album, much less an entire library of inspired music. "Twist and Shout"; "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"; "Blackbird"; "Yesterday"; "While my Guitar Gently Weeps"; "Come Together"; "Long and Winding Road"; "Norwegian Wood". I guess those are my favorites, but I might have others if you asked me tomorrow. All I want to do now is go home and starting playing the vinyl.

Posted by: Pizen | November 16, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

"The Night Before" from the "Help" album. As a guitar player, I love the chord changes at the beginning of the song. Also, it's one of Paul's better vocals on an early song.

Posted by: tifoso1 | November 16, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

So many great songs--some that come to mind are Things We Said Today, Dear Prudence, Here Comes the Sun, I'm Only Sleeping, and despite previous disparaging comments, Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da.

Posted by: jastewart2 | November 16, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

The Beatles were so darn creative.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention their all time greatest ending...
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight with Ringo tearing up his Ludwigs and the most famous ending lyrics in all rockdom
"And in the end the love you take is
equal to the love you make."

Posted by: menopausequeen | November 16, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I was 17 when the Beatles arrived and literally took over.

It's a tough choice but my favorites,

In My Life,
Here, There, Everywhere,
Things We Said Today,
For No One
Michelle.

And one honorable mention, From a Window, written by Lennon/McCartney but performed by Billy J Kramer and Chad and Jeremy.

Posted by: rcubedkc | November 16, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

RD_Padouk asks "Has the music of the Beatles aged well?"

I would say yes. My 17 year old LOVES the entire Beatles catalog and my 12 year old son dressed up like Ringo for Halloween. There is indeed some hope for this generation. Maybe they'll discover the "concept album" next?

Posted by: ImNotScott | November 16, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

The Beatles are much overrated in my book. At the same time the Beatle's were writing such dribble as "She love you, ya,ya ya"...the Moody Blues were writing beautiful poetic songs like the Nights in White Satin accompanied by full orchestra. For the Beatles...I love you, nah, nah, nah.

Posted by: logcabin1836 | November 16, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Let's see. She Love You was released in the summer of '63. Knights in White Satin is on the Moody Blues "Days of Future Past" album, released late in 1967. The first song that I remember by the Moody Blues was Go Now, 1964.

Posted by: rcubedkc | November 16, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

My favorite is "Tomorrow Never Knows", but their songbook is the strongest of any band in history in my opinion. Great writing, production, harmonies, phrasing, and good voices and instrumental skills. It's hard for me to think of a band that can hold a candle to them. Not that I don't like other music, quite the contrary.

Posted by: robert17 | November 16, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

"I'll Be Back" from the British "A Hard Day's Night" LP is my favorite, although there are way to many to pick one. Still my favorite Beatle LP because it has only original tunes on it. As for iTunes, it's great because so many listeners today only download music. But I have my remastered Mono Boxed set and I will stop there. I will buy McCartney's new remastered CDs when they are available. Already have BOTR.

Posted by: djmolter | November 16, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

A Hard Day's Night. That opening chord, the topped-out vocals, the rollercoaster instrumental break, the compact construction...the sheer exuberance of this song makes it an etched-in-rock classic. If the Beatles had been a one-hit wonder and this had been it, they would still have a following.

Posted by: Monem | November 16, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Too many songs, too many memories. I love Savoy Truffle, the lyrics were innovative on those days. Paul tried to copy it for Vanilla Sky theme but came out short. Then there is Here Comes the Sun, Julia, which moves me to this day...I think Abbey Road and the White ALbum were the best.

Posted by: coqui44 | November 16, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Favorite Beatles song: "I Saw Her Standing There" - I love that early Beatles sound...rockin' high energy, twangy guitar, Paul going wild on bass, and great harmonies.

First Beatles song I ever heard: Probably "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" live on Ed Sullivan's TV show - 1964.

Posted by: virginiabaptistpastor | November 16, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I could name about 10 songs -- maybe 20 -- and keep changing my mind about which is my favorite. I settled on While My Guitar Gently Weeps before seeing the list, so I voted for that one.

But many other choices that are just as good didn't make the list. Several have mentioned the B side of Abbey Road; but how about a couple from the A side: Oh! Darling, which offers very powerful emotional vocals; and I Want You/She's So Heavy, which is pretty heavy itself?

Dig A Pony (from the Let It Be album) offers intricate, complex chord progressions; and One After 909 (from the same album) is a straight rock-n-roll nod to the early days.

Posted by: SmittyATL | November 16, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Your list is too biased towards late-period Beatles; as time goes on, their earlier, less pretentious stuff will prove more timeless. (Not that some of the later material wasn't good, but it won't hold up as well.)

My favorites? "Things We Said Today," with a brilliant melody -- the Beatles certainly were in the harmonic tradition of the Everly Brothers -- and "I'm Down," the one time Paul McCartney beat Little Richard at his own game.

Posted by: VPaterno | November 16, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Happiness is a Warm Gun, If I Fell, Hey Bulldog..."if you're lonely you can talk to me" (bwa bum bum bda bda)! Killer.

Posted by: sputnik21 | November 16, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Doctor Roberts

It's purest/sweetest rock and roll

S D Rodrian

Posted by: sdr1 | November 16, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I do have to say that "Eleanor Rigby"
is a beautifully creative piece, something
almost worthy of a Schubert.

S D Rodrian

Posted by: sdr1 | November 16, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Haands down "The Word"

Posted by: someguy08 | November 16, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bulldog. My favorite. As of right now. Of course that changes. I also love many that were mentioned in these posts. Dear Prudence is awesome, and She's Leaving Home is also great. So many great songs.

Posted by: OmnipotentOne1 | November 16, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

People still pay for music??

Posted by: BobbyYarush | November 16, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rehillcj | November 16, 2010 1:36 PM
*************

Mr. Moonlight!!!

Posted by: edlharris | November 16, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

How could you pick just one Beatles song? The reason they are the greatest music act of the 20th Century (perhaps any century) is that their catalog is overflowing with masterpieces!

Hey Jude. Here Comes the Sun. While My Guitar Gently Weeps. The Abbey Road Medley. How can you really choose? It's like asking which of my children is my favorite - I LOVE THEM ALL!

Posted by: cselby1 | November 16, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Well I have to say I like the ones that have a good groove (read soulful) - the ones you mention are little too over played My all time fave:"Baby you're a Rich Man", Runners up "Not a Second Time" "I Want you (She so Heavy), Got to Get you into my life".

AND an odd one "Sexy Sadie" (the piano is a little haunting) its about how their Guru, Maharashi "played" them (Sexy Sadie was about how Maharashi made multiple passes at the Beatles' girlfriends and wives and the Beatles thought the guy was the second coming- Oh well).

Posted by: sunnyside1 | November 16, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

So many songs and so many different moods we are all in at any given time. For me "Shes A Woman" or "Your Mother Should Know" or "Youre Going to Lose That Girl" Really an imposssible task. Not like asking what your favorite ABBA song is- ??????????

Posted by: ncfrrst | November 16, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

favorite is "Girl"

Posted by: clematis77 | November 16, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Whichever Beatle song I'm listening to at the moment.

Your list was weighted too heavily toward 'later' Beatles.

"I'm Only Sleeping" is horribly under-rated!

Posted by: malcomj | November 16, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

There are many, many truly great rock songs by The Beatles, but if I had to choose one of the very best, I would go with Revolution.

Posted by: MarylandMD | November 16, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I chose "In my Life" because it's right up there with my other favorite, which wasn't on the list. (IML is terrific but it's too short. I love those notes, over and over again.) But "The Long and Winding Road" competes for top spot in my Beatles song book.

However, I have about 95% of them on my computer and always love to listen to them all.

Posted by: MadamDeb | November 16, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the bridge in Long and Winding Road is moving.

Posted by: johng1 | November 16, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

The Lennon-McCartney catalogue is outstanding but much of it is pop music. "I Saw Her Standing There" is straight-ahead rock'n'roll and, nearly 47 years on, it still holds up against Elvis, Buddy Holly or Chuck Berry. Speaking of whom, the Fab Four's version of "Roll Over Beethoven" may be the best Chuck Berry cover of all time, and THAT's saying something!

Posted by: v_o_reason | November 16, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I want to thank everyone here for restoring my faith in the human race. I tend to get too sensitive and think that music should be listened to by only oneself without anyone else so as not to suffer people's comments, but people here have posted such great Beatles songs as their favorites that I definitely could hang out with all of you and drink a few beers or whatever and play Beatles albums all night. Definitely "If I fell". Definitely "All my loving". The whole flipped out White album..."Here, there everywhere"..."She's leaving home"..."Across the universe", "The long and winding road"...These guys just had whatever it is that is and what we need so much.

Posted by: daniel12 | November 17, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

This article put me in the mood and I'm playing all the Beatles MP3s I have on my PC. And they are GREAT!

Posted by: MadamDeb | November 17, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

I Will

Posted by: solsticebelle | November 17, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Love Yellow Submarine! Also Maxwell's Silver
Hammer. I was an adult when they appeared on
Ed Sullivan show but can still appreciate their
music.

Posted by: dharper24 | November 17, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Paperback Writer

Posted by: wintoursghost | November 17, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I Am The Walrus.

Posted by: shawnhirst | November 17, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: reindeerterp | November 17, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

And in The End the love you take,
Is equal to the love you make.

Posted by: william51 | November 17, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

How can you laugh when you know " I'm Down". I'm really down.

Posted by: NoNoReally | November 17, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse