Anchored by Melissa Bell  |  About  |  Get Updates:  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed

Best Restore Sanity Rally signs: Vote for your favorite slogan here

Stewart Rally Sign Photos
(User-submitted photo by Oregonduck86)

The Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear may have been a political statement. It may have been a comedy show. But it definitely was a rally with hilarious signs. From the droll to the ironic, the crowd came out in force with signs that poked fun at Sarah Palin ("I can see America from my house!") and Glenn Beck ("Fear the Weaper"). There were the statements booing Fox News ("Shut the Fox up!"). There were the Democratic Party calls to arms ("Republicans don't get to choose who the 'Real Americans' are"). But the most sublime signs were the absurdly wry ones, poking fun and pleading for a more reasonable, bipartisan approach.

Here's 13 signs spotted across the Mall on Saturday. Vote for your favorite ones by clicking on the photo and hitting the vote button at the bottom. Let us know if we missed any. You can also submit your own sign photos and see a bigger gallery of photos here.

By Melissa Bell  | November 1, 2010; 10:20 AM ET
Categories:  Picture Shows
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Truffle sex secrets revealed! Epicureans rejoice.
Next: Zach Galifianakis smokes a joint on Bill Maher's show (Video)

Comments

The best one I saw on TV - "Birthers for Hawaii statehood"

Posted by: anne_t | November 1, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

My own sign was "Radical Moderate".

Posted by: yellojkt | November 1, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I saw a couple of really good signs at the rally. One said, "How many people have checked 'Atlas Shrugged' out of the public library without realizing the irony?" Another said, "Brains: Useful and delicious." Still another said, "I'm with Stupid" with an arrow pointing straight up.

But I had a problem with a lot of people's interpretation of the "sanity" we ought to be trying to restore. Some people seem to define "sanity" as "politeness." It is my view that such a definition leaves "sanity" meaning very nearly the same thing as "docility."

How does one not get upset about the prospect of an electorate so weirdly malleable by big money that they will vote for people like Sharron Angle, confusing them with populists? They're angry at corporate greed and the Federal deficits and so they want to elect more Republicans?

Now, THAT'S insane!

Posted by: FergusonFoont | November 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Now, THAT'S insane!

Posted by: FergusonFoont | November 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Dressing up as Waldo and carrying an "I'M OVER HERE" sign got me on C-SPAN, so I'm happy.

It was a fun event if you stayed away from the throngs on the mall. Strolling up Pennsylvania Ave was a good time.

Posted by: random-adam | November 1, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

My favorite was "Gay Mexicans Will Raise Your Taxes"

Posted by: Meridian1 | November 1, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I liked "The Gayrabs Are Coming!" myself. Also, that "Don't jump to conclusions, just jump rope" sign was part of the Jump Rope With A Muslim thing.

Posted by: dkp01 | November 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the duplicate posting. I got a strange error message from the Post's server on my first message and presumed it had not been received. I would delete one of them if I were able to do so.

But it gives me another opportunity to comment on a related matter. I am wondering why the Post has so ignored this rally compared to their extensive coverage of Glenn Beck's shindig a month ago. I am also curious why the size of the crowd has been so systematically underestimated.

The Mall was literally packed from the Capitol to 14th Street, and from the very doors up the stairs to the museums on one side to the museums on the other side. And I mean packed TIGHT, where with everyone in actual physical contact with their neighbors on all sides and you could not move and indeed could barely breathe. I do not believe there has ever been anything like it.

Back in the early 1980s, part of my job with the U.S. Marshals Service involved providing official estimates of the crowd sizes of demonstrations and other events, like the July 4th celebrations, on the Mall. The methods used were approximate but were best-effort accurate. We would impose a gridwork onto an aerial view of the crowd at various times, assign six different levels of density to the different grid squares, count the people in a representative example of each density level to provide an average for each level, count the numbers at each level, and add them all together. It was reasonably accurate if somewhat imprecise.

But there is no possible way that that crowd numbered as low as the 215,000 reported most frequently by the media today. Such a low estimate makes no sense whatsoever. 215,000 is only a fraction more than is contained by two FedEx Fields during a Redskins game. Although there are two full and one partial level of seats at FedEx, each level is packed significantly less densely than the entire Mall was packed during that demonstration, and the Mall is a far larger area than even a dozen FedEx Fields.

I believe that even an estimate of 600,000 would be conservative. This was a genuinely MAJOR event, and the systematic downplaying of its appeal makes one realize that the notion of a "liberal media" is genuinely whimsical.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | November 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many people, like me, tried to go and gave up. Metro was packed, the reports about Metro and traffic were insane. I was with 4 people and we gave up - fortunately we'd only driven two hours.

Sounds like a lot of people went to bars and areas off the mall, since you couldn't get near a screen or speaker anyway.

Posted by: anonymice | November 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

The sign I really liked that was not in the ones listed was the one that said something along the lines of being patriotic does not mean agrees with you.

Posted by: TheghostofLennyBruce | November 1, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I practically ROTFLed when I saw the "God Hates Figs" one, complete with an actual Biblical citation of their statement!

Posted by: jax75420 | November 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

My favorite sign was "Hide Your Wife. Hide Your Kids." Words we should all live by. I almost gave up going. It took me over two hours to get there on the metro from East Falls Church. I could've walked to DC faster. I felt bad for the people who came from out of town (I overheard Knoxville, TN and Chicago, IL to name a few...I'm sure there were many more).

Posted by: grapeeape | November 1, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

One one side was: Give Feudalism a chance.

On the other side: Monarchy Rules

Posted by: evan1975 | November 1, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

My own: This rally brought to you by VIACOM; corporate media always wins.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | November 1, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

All were clever, but I like the homage to "Network" - "I'm ambivalent as hell and I"m not going to take it anymore", signed "I don't think".

Posted by: limarcusen | November 1, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

One of my favorites was "What do we want? Reasonable discourse. When do we want it? In the not-too-distant future."

Posted by: joycefr | November 1, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

My favorite... right down front was "God Hates Snuggies".

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld1 | November 1, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

In the same vein as joycefr: One of my favorites (you can find it in the gallery of reader photos submitted to the Post) read "What do we want? Moderation. When do we want it? Within a reasonable time frame."

Posted by: nan_lynn | November 1, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I liked "Bring our troops home! No more troops in Hawaii!"

But my absolute fav was "Grow your own dope. Plant Sarah Palin!"

Posted by: GenuineRisk | November 1, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

And I say "Hear, hear!" to FergusonFoont and anonymice. The "official" crowd on the Mall was way larger than 215K. And at any given time, that crowd included only some of the many thousands who reached the site, found that they could neither see nor hear a thing (Boo to Comdy Central for not having adequate jumbotrons and speakers!), and then left (my group included), and the many other thousands who abandoned the effort entirely in the face of Metro's incompetence (Boo to WMATA!). If not for epic logistical fails, the "official" counted crowd would have been way bigger; maybe double.

Posted by: nan_lynn | November 1, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Guy with a map of America hanging from his neck. Handing out stars to the crowd to paste on their home town. Stars pasted everywhere on the map. Guy saying, "Show everyone where the *real* America is!".

Posted by: RayFoo | November 1, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

My personal fav was "If Obama is Muslim can we all have Fridays off".

Posted by: venus31 | November 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

My favorite sign moving away from the Mall (and I agree with the crowd estimates being way under counted. My husband is a native Washingtonian, back to when the Senators played baseball in DC, and attended the "I Have a Dream" speech and thought the crowd was a least 600,000)Anyway, the sign I liked said, "Sometimes you have to go to a rally with the sign you have, not the sign you might want or wish to have at a later rally." Or something close to that.

Posted by: Holly54 | November 1, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I liked "Less Sarah Palin, more Para-Sailin'"

Posted by: pgtips1 | November 1, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Not a sign, but a chant that I heard reported on NPR (and unfortunately didn't hear while I was there or I would have chimed in): "Three-Word Slogan! Three-Word Slogan!" etc.

Posted by: sburban | November 1, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

the best one? The recipe for Guacamole !

Posted by: ktg1 | November 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I liked the "This is why we can't have nice things" sign.

Posted by: kg2273 | November 1, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I saw one that said: "FEAR THE AMISH."
(I thought it was hysterical!!) LOL

Another said: "Everything on this Sign is Spelled Correctly." LOL

Posted by: ladyesq1 | November 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I liked the little boy's sign that read "I'm always right or wrong"

Posted by: rwb59 | November 1, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I vote for the BEST one, which was not included above, i.e.

"PRAY FOR A SECULAR GOVERNMENT"

Posted by: lufrank1 | November 1, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Best I read about (unfortunately didn't see myself) was "My wife is a Muslim. She is not a terrorist. I'm still afraid of her."

Posted by: kidvidkid | November 1, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I flew in from Kansas. We left our hotel at 9:30 am in Alexandria for the Metro. After 45 minutes in line we gave up. Fortunately, we met several other couples in the same boat. One of the group went outside and managed to get two taxies (one a mini van) to take us down town. We managed to find a spot in about dead center of the entire crowd.

I really appreciated the calm and courtesy of the crowd. Most of the signs were very clever and in keeping with the intent of the rally. There were some exception but they were rare.

The actually count will never be known. However, suffice as to say that the number was huge. When you consider those who gave up and went to a bar, stayed home and watched on TV, joined in at satellite rallies in numerous cities around the country it is safe to say that the voice of the 70% in the middle was heard. I thought Mr. Stewart summed it up in his final remarks. Thanks John and Steven for the show and the chance to be heard.

Posted by: Tsavage2 | November 1, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

TPM has a fine selection of rally signs and they only picked 25, so it's not such a massive timekill to flip through them. My personal fave- "3 words that will save the economy- Gay. Bridal. Registry."

Posted by: kguy1 | November 1, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

What? You missed "stop the Socialist fire department agenda"?

Posted by: wva26289 | November 1, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

My favorite sign had a photo of President Obama - with the words - Sarah Palin would have quit by now!

Posted by: ct2k12830 | November 1, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Thank you all for your comments. I was not able to go but your stories have given me much to make me smile.

I hope everyone votes this year!

Posted by: trambusto | November 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The ONLY question is, will you be the person who changes the equation by picking up the phone and calling just 10 voters today?

If each one of us calls just 10 voters in our area right now -- it could make a huge difference at the polls on Election Day.

Grab your phone and click here to connect with voters in your area right now.

Stand for America Today.

Posted by: vasukinagabhushan | November 1, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

One of my favorites was a woman holding sign that said "I masturbate, and I vote."

Posted by: rallythefear | November 1, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

My favorite: "Honest, I don't mind paying my taxes" (or something like that--right on, friend). Next favorite is "Everybody hates taxes--what makes you so special?"

Posted by: scarlson1 | November 1, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I liked the one that said, "FoxNews is my Comedy Channel, Comedy Central is my News Channel."

Posted by: lcd1 | November 1, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

For some reason I like the one with the guy having a particular mustache dressed like a Nazi with a sign that read, "No, I AM Hitler."

Posted by: bbface21 | November 1, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

The one that said "I am holding a sign." -seemed appropriate.

Posted by: melhermville1 | November 1, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Did you attend the Rally to Restore Sanity? If so, researchers and students within the department of Sociology at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania want to know your opinions concerning the intersection of American media and politics. Please visit our website to complete a 5-10 minute survey: http://surveys.edinboro.edu/rally/rally.htm

Posted by: pneff | November 1, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

We sent our sixteen year-old grandson to the rally from Eagle, Colorado. He joined our east coast daughter, son-in-law, and two other grandchildren. What a great event!
Today, we canvassed neighborhoods, talked to Democrats, left "VOTE" information, and made calls. We are seventy-somethings who are working hard to elect our Colorado Democrats.
Please vote tomorrow! Please vote for your Democrats.
Best sign: Less Sarah Palin - More Para-Sailin'
Wish we had sent a sign: Man-UP? How about Heads-Up!!! Think Before You Vote

eaglehart

Posted by: kathah7 | November 1, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I was there and saw many great costumes. The two that really caught my eye were the guy in a diaper and sombrero carrying an anchor(anchor baby), and the guy dressed as Hitler with a two sided sign that said You're no Hitler and No, I'm Hitler.
There was also a great zombie with a sign that was a big smear of blood. What fun.

Posted by: ripper368 | November 1, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to the guy who had no sign of his own, but on leaving the Mall near the Natl Gallery where roadwork was making a bottleneck for pedestrians, recognized the opportunistic merger of politics and comedy by wrapping himself around the temporary post at the end of the bottleneck on which was mounted a high orange public works sign, punched his fist in the air, and passionately chanted:
"END ROAD CONSTRUCTION...NOW!
END ROAD CONSTRUCTION...NOW!
END ROAD CONSTRUCTION...NOW!
END...."

Posted by: dbst | November 1, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

My favorite was "Would any one vote for the dems if the media wasn't in bed with them and constantly pushing their message. NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, WaPo, NY Times, Boston Globe, Chicago Trib, LA Times, Journolist.... in fact, pretty much every one but Fox and the Wall Street Journal."

Posted by: Tostitos | November 1, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I nearly fell on the ground laughing when I saw:

HANDS OFF OUR DEATH PANELS!

My wife like the dog you had photographed in Sunday's Post--capable of change with new information, indeed!

Posted by: oldanthro | November 1, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see it here but my real favorite sign said,
"Can't we all just get a bong?"

Posted by: m_richert | November 1, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see it here but my real favorite sign said,
"Can't we all just get a bong?"

Posted by: m_richert | November 1, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't show here, but my favorite was "I spell check my political rage."

I agree with the comments about crowd size. I volunteered to work the event, and at orientation the night before they said that the fenced in section between 3rd and 7th streets could hold 300,000 people. It was filled by 11:00, and when you add in the rest of the folks on the Mall (nearly down to the Smithsonian Castle), the crowds on Madison and Jefferson and the steps to the museums.....I'd agree that 600,000 is more like it.

Posted by: kanawha | November 1, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Over 1000 people Jumped Rope with a Muslim!! That last photo is one of their signs. "Jump Rope with a Muslim". "Don't Jump to Conclusions, Just... Jump Rope". You can view pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/salkharsa/JumpWithAMuslimAtTheRallyToRestoreSanity#

Posted by: JRWAM | November 1, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

A few of my favorites:

"What do we want?
Reasonable political discourse!
When do we want it?
In a reasonable timeframe."

"My political views are too nuanced to fit on this sign."

"It's MY country too - can't we share?"

And my personal favorite:

Picture of Obama with a big red X over his face. Next to the photo it said, "Not Hitler."
Underneath that, a picture of Glen Beck with a big red X over his face. Next to the photo it said, "Not Hitler."
At the bottom of the sign, a picture of Adolf Hitler with a big green check mark over his face. Next to the photo it said, "Hitler!"

Posted by: gewaldron | November 1, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh f@ck, man. Is this still "news" in the Washington Post?

This rag has turned into a clown paper.

Posted by: couwnt | November 1, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

A few of my favorites:

"What do we want?
Reasonable political discourse!
When do we want it?
In a reasonable timeframe."

"My political views are too nuanced to fit on this sign."

"It's MY country too - can't we share?"

And my personal favorite:

Posted by: gewaldron | November 1, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

My personal favorite:
"Does this sign make my butt look reasonable?" I laughed out loud. :-)

Posted by: Ynjo | November 1, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

My favourite is "Hug a Homo today" but my absolute belcher is one already voted "Grow your own dope, plant Sarah Palin". To the foreigners who think we don't get irony, here's two fingers to suck on.

Posted by: shaik1 | November 1, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

The best 2 signs were the one with a picture of Natives American and it said" whose country you want back?" and the second was "Wars are not free, pay your taxes tea party"

Posted by: corintonic | November 1, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse