Anchored by Melissa Bell  |  About  |  Get Updates:  Twitter  |   Facebook  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed
Posted at 7:40 AM ET, 01/24/2011

Jack Lalanne offers up fitness advice (Videos)

By Melissa Bell
jack lalanne
(Reed Saxon/AP)

In Southern California, land of the overexercised, Jack Lalanne was something of a god, promoting healthy living, smart eating and a balanced life. This morning, as news broke that the fitness guru had died at the age of 96, the social networks lit up with notes of praise for his inspiring life. The man made exercise popular far before exercise was considered a necessity by doctors and showed off his own skills by performing outrageous stunts of strength. Even the jumping jack is named for the godfather of fitness. Here's a look back on some Lalanne moments.

(Also, J. Freedom DuLac points to the definitive Jack Lalanne profile, written back in 1994, when Lalanne was the spry, young age of 79.)

For his "dear girls," a beauty treatment par excellence:

Fingertip pushups:

Jack at 95:

And @SBNation has some advice for how to celebrate Lalanne's passing:

Fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday night, at the age of 96. We suggest doing some jumping jacks in his honor.less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

By Melissa Bell  | January 24, 2011; 7:40 AM ET
Categories:  The Daily Catch
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: ♪♫ Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Indian singer, dies at 89
Next: Brazil's most faithful dog, Palestinian compromises and Super Bowl fervor

Comments

He was an original all right. I remember being a very little boy in the early 1960s and watching my mother attempt to follow Jack on television. My mother, although a saintly woman, never could keep up. And thanks for sharing that bit about the "Jumping Jack." I had no idea.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 24, 2011 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 24, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

From the CBC

Godfather of Fitness" Jack LaLanne Dies at 96
Fitness guru Jack LaLanne, who inspired television viewers to trim down and pump iron decades before exercise became a national obsession, has died at age 96. http://www.newslook.com/videos/285608-godfather-of-fitness-jack-lalanne-dies-at-96?autoplay=true

Posted by: dbmetzger | January 24, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Jack, don't worry about death ruining your image. You've done so much to promote fitness and good nutrition for so many years that no one can ever take away your accomplishments. All the fitness and nutrition "experts" of the past 70 years have stood on your broad shoulders.

May your exercise routine in the afterlife be an enjoyable one.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 24, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

May your exercise routine in the afterlife be an enjoyable one.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 24, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Jack,

You've been my inspiration for the last 40+years!!!!! Everytime I think I can't, you inspired me to go and exercise. I remember one of the first spots you opened in NY, it was great. Every gym owes you a trememdous debt. We should name a day after you, National Jack LaLanne Exercise Day, and what a great month to start a program. May you rest in peace. A fan forever.....

Posted by: concorde011 | January 24, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I was introduced to ack once at a business meeting once.

I was standing there, somewhat embarassed with my hands in my pockets.

He turned to me. "My LaLanne, it's really an honor...", I babbled.

He looked at me silently. Then down at my hands in my pockets.

"Why the Hell are you?", he shouted, "Pee Wee Herman? Get your hands out of your God damn pants!"

Then he slapped me on the shoulder, roared a laugh and we talked for 2 straight hrs.

The guy was a real original.

R.I.P.

Posted by: drjcarlucci | January 24, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

The jumping jack was named after him. That's awesome. I had no idea.

Posted by: JustinCochran | January 24, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I liked his explanation for good health at 95. He said it was due to having SEX ALMOST EVERY DAY!

Almost on Monday

Almost on Tuesday

Almost on Wednesday-------

Posted by: PhillupSpace1 | January 25, 2011 2:20 AM | Report abuse

"123 Get Samples" is the largest directory of free samples You can try brand name products for free and enjoy. You should definitely check them.

Posted by: pamlyon25 | January 25, 2011 4:33 AM | Report abuse

That one-armed extended fingertip push-up in the 2nd video is incredible. The guy was amazing. His like won't be seen again. RIP.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 25, 2011 7:47 AM | Report abuse