John Galliano fired from Dior after racist video surfaces
Natalie Portman will never work with John Galliano again, and now it looks like Dior won't either. After an initial suspension last Friday, Dior made it official: Galliano is out of the fashion house.
John Galliano went from Paris Fashion Week star to anti-Semitic alcoholic in the public's eye in the flash of a gruesome cellphone video. In it, he's accusing diners of being so ugly he wished their forefathers had been killed by Hitler. The video, which was obtained by the British newspaper "The Sun," came out on the heels of a police report filed last week by a French couple who accused Galliano of verbal abuse. The video is of a separate incident and was filmed at the same bar. (Warning: It includes offensive language.)
Natalie Portman, the current face of Dior, issued a statement condemning his actions Monday. The Acadamy Award-winning actress was reportedly slated to wear a Dior dress to the Oscars but showed up in Rodarte instead. "I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano's comments that surfaced today. In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way," she said in the statement.
Dior issued its own statement Tuesday:
"I very firmly condemn what was said by John Galliano, which totally contradicts the values which have always been defended by Christian Dior," Christian Dior chief executive Sidney Toledano said in a statement, Reuters reports.
Will shirts go from J'adore Dior to J'abhor?
(Thanks for the pun, Ned.)
Posted by: fregameeate | March 1, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: shannon10 | March 1, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ScottChallenger | March 1, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: hisroc | March 1, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: potaboc | March 2, 2011 7:51 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: MILLER123 | March 2, 2011 8:56 PM | Report abuse