Follow PostSports on Twitter  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Let's be honest, the Texans shouldn't even exist

By Jason Woodmansee

I have a message for Washington Redskins fans: We are very lucky. And spoiled. As bad as the Redskins have been lately, we have a team with Super Bowl victories, a commitment to winning (bear with me on that one), and a loyal fan base. In fact, pretty much all the teams in the Northeast can say this. Well, Philadelphia can’t say the Super Bowl part [ducks a battery]. What I'm getting it is that it could be worse -- we could be a fans of the Houston Texans.

I don’t have any problem with the Houston Texans. Nobody does. Why bother? I bet 20% of sports fans think that the Houston football team is still the Oilers playing in the Astrodome. The NFL originally awarded an expansion team to Los Angeles, but went back to Houston only when LA couldn’t get a stadium together. They’re the NFL’s safety city. They have exactly zero playoff wins -- which isn’t too surprising considering that they’ve never actually made the playoffs. The franchise’s greatest game was the big win against the Cowboys -- in the very first game. I’m more interested in the game-planning DC college bars need to do with Matt Leinart coming to town than anything else.

This is not uncommon once you get away from the traditional sports cities and franchises. I moved from DC to San Diego in 2001 and that year the season opener for the Chargers was, coincidentally enough, the Redskins. When I called the ticket office, the nice young man told me  that “we expect it to be a sell-out” because of “all the military people in area” -- aka Redskins fans. I got decent tickets in my own sweet time and got to watch Jeff George’s last professional football game (yay!) with a stadium almost half full of other Skins fans. This week, the Chargers’ home opener will be blacked out, even though they have won the AFC West four years in a row. I guess the Tebow-less Jaguars don’t have the same kind of draw.

The fact is that many communities just don’t get that worked up about their football teams. It’s hard to understand until you live in one of those non-sports towns. So, to all you nutcases out there who take all things about the Redskins too seriously, I salute you. We should all raise a glass and toast each other as we watch the Redskins take on the whatchamacallits on Sunday.

By Box Seats blogger  | September 17, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Woodmansee, Redskins  | Tags:  Redskins-Texans
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A preview of Maryland vs. West Virginia
Next: DC United vs. LA Galaxy Preview

Comments

Evidently you've never been to a Texans game at Reliant Stadium because if you had, you wouldn't have written this lame column. EVERY GAME has been sold-out since day one, regardless of record(or opponent). Combine that with some of the best tailgating weather around and it makes for a dynamite game-day experience. The Texans DON'T NEED fans from around the country--they have enough support in the Houston area.

Posted by: tv822003 | September 17, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

You sound like a Dallas Cowboys fan living in the past. Your days of glory happened when I was in 5th grade. Washington, like Dallas, is hampered by an incompetent owner who can't check his ego long enough to let smart people make proper decisions...but at least Jerry's team has made a playoff appearance in recent history. That being said, you might want to say your prayers and atone for your sins. Maybe if God likes you once again, he'll let it be a close game. Personally, I don't see a team that has been drafting ahead of Houston for recent memory (yeah...that means the Redskins have been worse than the Texans) is going to beat a team that has a top flight passing game, a pretty decent running game, and a huge collective chip on their shoulders. Skins fans will be very lucky if this game remains within two scores.

Posted by: kmeyer75 | September 17, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand this post. The Texans franchise started less than 10 years ago and have built themselves into one of the most exciting teams in the league. Last year they were ranked 9th out of the 32 NFL teams in total home attendance (ahead of Super Bowl champion New Orleans, which was 10th). Get your facts straight before you post.

Posted by: SkinsFaninCanada | September 17, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow! This is the guy the Post picked to write about the Redskins all year. Jeez. We get a good win to start the year and its time to belittle the other team like we're the big dog in the NFL. Man I hope karma, and Arien Foster / Andre Johnson don't burn us this week.

Posted by: skins4eva | September 17, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, if your goal was to be an even more uninformed columnist than Charles Krauthammer, mission accomplished.

Posted by: bigfatdrunk | September 17, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Although this IS a blog, I'm betting the Post hired you with the idea that you might actually know something about what you write about. Silly of them, I know.
Woodward and Bernstein you ain't. On the other hand, you do have a lot in common with Deep Throat.

Posted by: Christopher_H | September 18, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Sounds about right to me.

Posted by: robbo24 | September 18, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

A response from a Texans fan. Enjoy!

Posted by: bigfatdrunk | September 19, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

I have a bad feeling about this. This blogger has not done the fan community any favors. He has portrayed us as arrogant, unfriendly, uninformed, and downright stupid. I think it is in order for this blogger and the Washington Post to issue a full apology for the ludicrousness of this blogpost. I am ashamed to call myself a Skins fan right now.

Posted by: ImportantSkinsFan | September 19, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

"What I'm getting it is that it could be worse -- we could be a fans of the Houston Texans."

Oh, sweet Irony. Sure was nice getting the victory, and finding this article made it even sweeter. You are sadly uninformed if you think that Houston is the "NFL's safety city". Texas, and Houston, live, eat and breath football. And the Texans are one of the most valuable sports franchises in the world, selling out every single home game, ever.

And by the way, your record since the Texans began is 55 and 75. The Texans, an expansion team is 51 and 79. Take out the expansion teams first season of 4-12, and they've won more than the Redskins for the past 7 seasons. And we both know how the game ended last night.

Posted by: texinxin | September 20, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

You may have won around the same amount of games but we have been to the playoffs several times the last year and won playoff games. So lets not compare apples to oranges here. All franchises go through spats where they have rebuilding and problems, etc. However, we have had our share of successes these past 10 years...as well as our issues. Thanks. Talk about someone not analyzing a situation clearly. You see one number and make an assumption that means nothing. I'd rather have horrible seasons and chances at a super bowl by earning playoff spots than settle for consistent mediocrity.....

Posted by: rjwhitt | September 20, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

im sure im not the first to comment on this laughable post. think you may want to use this tool they call "spelling and grammar checker".

i guess the "NFL safety city" can be labeled a bit differently now that your city just lost to the Houston Texans. maybe you should learn some more facts before posting this rubbish on the internet for everyone to read.

i suppose if we didn't exist you wouldn't have that "1" in your LOSS column.

Cheers.... moron.

Posted by: bmhauser | September 20, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame that a proud team with such history has to have such a deadbeat writer who doesn't research his articles writing for them. I mean the Texans have sold out every home game ever and break attendance records regularly. I guess it's adding insult to injury that you lost to this irrelevant team like you did...

Go Texans, and I feel bad for the Redskin fans that have to listen to this drivel...

Posted by: TexansFan25 | September 21, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse