Extra Points - 10/20/10
By Ryan CooperA few quick notes on the Caps.
- For all those who yell “SHOOT!” during a power play, the last power play of the Boston game should have showed you once and for all why that doesn’t work. Alex Semin had the puck on the sideboards and took a shot….right into the defenseman’s knees. If you yell “SHOOT!” during a power play, please do us all a favor and leave Verizon Center forever. And take the geniuses who came up with the “WHO CARES?” and the “ALL YOUR FAULT!” with you, too.
- The last two games have really shown how important Mike Green is to this team. Since he’s been out, there’s been a noticeable lack of flow and puck possession, and there were multiple instances when the Caps were being hemmed in their own zone for long periods of time.
- Last night was the first time Jeff Schultz had been on ice for a goal against this season. His GAON/60 (goals against on ice per 60 minutes) is .61. His GAOFF/60 (goals against off ice per 60 minutes), is 3.95. If you STILL hate Jeff Schultz and don’t think he’s any good because he doesn’t hit, please leave Verizon Center with the aforementioned other people.
- D.J. King skated seven shifts last night and had a little over four minutes in ice time. I know guys are banged up and he was a warm body, but it illustrates to me why guys like him are a dying breed. If he can’t do anything but fight (and he didn’t even fight last night), I’d rather not have him on the roster. You’re telling me a guy like Andrew Gordon couldn’t have contributed on the 4th line last night?
-If you had told me before the season had started the most exciting and fun part of watching Caps games would be the penalty kill, I would have called you crazy. I keep waiting for them to crack like a rich woman’s bad facelift, but it hasn’t happened yet.
- Between his odd Don Beaupre mask and how much he flops around, Tim Thomas is loads of fun to watch.
- I thought Kareem’s column on the local media being “too soft” on the Caps was an interesting read. However, I kind of like that they don’t really notice the Caps until playoff time. That way, I don’t get angry over Tracee Hamilton generating fake outrage at Alex Ovechkin not taking a morning skate, or Mike Wise calling out Japers' Rink commenters for being too “mean spirited.” It’s better for everyone if they just keep blathering on about football until April because that’s all they really care about anyway.
- There seems to be a great amount of pessimism running through the Caps community. I know part of that has to do with recent history, but the team is now 4-2, coming off four straight wins. And it's a good thing that they aren't playing their best hockey yet.
Box Seats blogger
| October 20, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories: Capitals, Ryan Cooper | Tags: Capitals, Ryan Cooper
Save & Share: Previous: That fateful season: was it worth it?
Next: The odds of NHL drafting success
Posted by: prestoj | October 20, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: CapsNut | October 20, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse