Out on the weekend
By Ryan Cooper
- Signs its hockey season again at Comcast Sportsnet: (1) Butchering of names at intermission, (2) Alan May mumbling incoherently, (3) Joe B. and Craig’s wacky banter, (4) Running the same commercial roughly 7,000,000 times in a row, (5) Locker’s plugs for his hockey school. It’s so great to have you all back. I’ve missed you all so very much.
- If you’re still not convinced Mike Green is a great defenseman after these first three games, nothing is ever going to convince you.
- Big thank you to Ottawa’s Matt Carkner for proving my point about the “crease-clearing defenseman” meme.
- What kind of bizarro world am I living in where the Caps power play is so bad, but the penalty kill is so good? I am a huge fan of how aggressive the latter has been.
- I know they have to be judicious and fair on the TV broadcast, but Pascal Leclaire is a TERRIBLE goaltender. Like Toskala bad, which is very bad.
- For everyone who keeps harping on the fact that GMGM doesn’t make very many moves, how’d you like to be in New Jersey’s situation at the moment? Capped out, injury problems, and old are no way to go through a hockey season, son. I’d also like to take this opportunity to be ever so thankful the Caps didn’t drink the Anton Volchenkov kool-aid.
- Pencil in Eric Fehr for 35-40 goals. The guy looks unbelievable right now.
- On that same note, Semyon Varlamov is going to have to blow the roof off the place in order to displace Michal Neuvirth, who’s been outstanding.
- Tomas Fleischmann is your crazy ex-girlfriend. One minute he has you tearing your hair out in anger, the next minute, you’re wondering how you got so lucky.
- Nick Backstrom on the PK has been superb.
- It makes me feel old that John Carlson is only 20 years old. He’s 5 years younger than Mike Green. Good heavens.
- Finally, it’s good to hear Ondrej Pavelec is doing well after his collapse Friday. To paraphrase Brooks Laich at the intermission, it was a “real human moment”. When I used to help coach my high school softball team, I would tell the girls every year, “enjoy this while you can…it ends real quick”. Sometimes it takes a situation like that to drive that point home.
Posted by: prestoj | October 12, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: prestoj | October 12, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: j762 | October 12, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse
Post a Comment