Follow PostSports on Twitter  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Political Football: Chicago has already won

Chicago Rep. Mike Quigley, a long-time fan of his city's sports teams, believes this weekend's inter-city competition already has been decided.

While neither Chicago nor D.C. has hoisted a Super Bowl trophy in several years, we in the Windy City can at least take solace in our world-class pizza on Sunday afternoons. In Washington, lousy food just makes a lousy team look even worse.

When the Redskins head west this weekend to Soldier Field, Washingtonians will only get as close as their TV screens to the beauty of football in the heart of downtown, in a stadium honoring our men and women in uniform. It sure beats three hours on the Orange line to a suburban parking lot that pays homage to a non-union corporation.

There is a certain Chicago feel in Washington these days, which I appreciate. Its two most coveted jobs--President and Redskins quarterback--are filled by transplants from my home town. So I'm happy to report that things are looking up.

But alas, they are only temporary residents ready to pack up and move back home when they've had enough of the Beltway. They aren't the only ones; I hear most people stick around this town about as long as Redskins head coaches.

Not so in Chicago. We pride ourselves on our roots and our neighborhoods--third generation family businesses, restaurants, and sports fans. We are the broad-shouldered hog butchers of the world.

Give me the skyscrapers of Daniel Burnham and Louis Sullivan over L'Enfant's traffic circles and a city that can't build a 300-foot building. I'd even take a Chicago January over a D.C. August. Newsflash: a couple feet of snow is not a "Snowpocalypse." In Chicago, we call it Tuesday.

On the football field, it's also no contest: Ditka over Gibbs, McMahon over Shuler, and without a doubt the Super Bowl Shuffle over the Hogettes. So as we all sit back and enjoy Sunday's game, just know that whatever the final score, Chicago has already won.

All good-natured ribbing aside, I have truly enjoyed my time in Washington. People are kind, and like nowhere else in this country, it's a place where our American history comes to life. I feel it each and every time I walk under the Capitol Dome. And, yes, I've gotten over the fact that no one in town can make a decent hot dog, but it's because I only spend four days a week here.

Here's to Chicago, home of the Stanley Cup Champion Blackhawks and the greatest city on Earth.

By Rep. Mike Quigley  | October 22, 2010; 1:32 PM ET
Categories:  Political Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Assessing Maryland's chances at Boston College
Next: The Audacity of Hope: Your 2010-11 Washington Wizards

Comments

Really? Ditka over Gibbs? I guess you'd rather have 1 SB as opposed to 3? Good idea.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Obviously he's never Metroed to FedEx -- maybe Metro would be in a better state if representatives would take public transportation. And Shuler? Really? If I'm picking a Redskins quarterback from the days of yore, he's not the one I'm picking. I'll take Doug Williams, thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: alizadk | October 22, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Mike Quigley confirming that he is in fact a communist.

Posted by: rademaar | October 22, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, Chicago's definitely got D.C. beat in the number of fatties, clogged arteries & strokes.

Plus I'd take Dexter over the Fridge every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 22, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

It's great you love your city and all but there is no need to put down Washingtonians,or Washington as a place to live, good ribbing or not. I bet in your line of work you have never spent any real time with real Washingtonians and that's okay, but to say "I hear most people stick around this town about as long as Redskins head coaches." is a ridiculous statement and shows a very narrow sided view.

I think you should go home if you love it some much. BTW - don't you have a job to do? Aren't the tax payers paying for that? Get your priorities straight! But I'm sure you don't care about this Washingtonian or US citizen since I am not one of your constituents.

Posted by: LewisShapiro | October 22, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Being a Redskins fan in Chicago I do have this to say. Quigley is a moron. I was at Fed-Ex a couple weeks ago for the Packers game and the public transportation was a godsend. In Chicago there is public trans but prepare yourself for a brutal walk because it doesn't come close to the stadium. I'll agree with him on this, the food is better in Chicago. The meals we had in DC definitely leave a lot to be desired. As for his puffy chest about the snow, really, DC has gotten hammered more than we have the last 5 years. As for the President, I wish we couldn't take credit for that one.

Posted by: JWPinCHI | October 22, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

f chi town! The home of some of the scum that ruins this country! Redskins will slaughter the bears book it!

Posted by: warriorking1112 | October 22, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

well said shapiro. httr

Posted by: FOURWATTS | October 22, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

DC got more snow than Minnesota last year mayor Quimby...what I like is that he'd take a Chicago winter over a DC summer any day. I'd take an August in Chi over an August in DC, but I'd also take a February in DC over one in Chi 100 times over. That's called personal preference. Chicago is a fun town...but anyone from there would have no clue what to do with Adam's Morgan if they ever ventured around town. I hope Cutler gets his Bieber hair Orakpo'd up Sunday.

Posted by: emc7x | October 23, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Ditka over Gibbs? 1 SB to 3 SB? Okay. Although, if the man can beat a hurricane, I guess he can beat Gibbs no matter what the ring count.

McMahon over Shuler? You're comparing the only QB to ever win a SB for the Bears with one of the worst QB's in history for the Skins? Is this how you structure your floor debates. Ack.

I'd say, to decide D.C. vs. Chicago once and for all we should put it to a vote, but I'm afraid since in Chicago dead people are allowed to vote, D.C. wouldn't stand a chance.

Posted by: grimesman | October 23, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Mr. Quigley. You lost all credibility with your gushing over Chicago deep dish style pizza. There are three fundamental truths in life. Dallas sucks. Duke sucks. Chicago deep dish style pizza sucks. One of the worst memories of my life is having lunch during a training session in your windy, cold, gray city. We went for what the instructor promised would be pizza. It ended up being a some sort of concoction with flavorless (except for the grease it was cooked in) doughed thing with little attention paid to the cheese blend, drab sauced concoction. Worse yet, there was a picture of Hillary Clinton, another one of your products, with her eyes seeming to follow me as I tried to consume enough of the so-called pizza to get me through the training. I challenge you to try my brother-in-law's good New York style pizza (Joe's Pizza, Nanticoke PA [on Facebook]) or even one of many very good pizza's in the Washington area (Mia's good wood-stove THIN CRUST pizza in Bethesda for one) - and then continue to babble on about that concoction you Chicago-ites refer to as pizza.

Posted by: jburnetti | October 24, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

It's disheartening to see a person so ill-equipped to defend his own town. DC is my hometown, but I love Chicago. But nothing about Wrigley Field, Lincoln Park, Greektown, the music, the food... except for the hack references to that quiche they call pizza, and their beloved hot dogs. As if a product from an "encased meat emporium" could ever even approach the notion of appetizing.

And Chicagoans are not broad-shouldered, weather-beaten and gritty... they're good-natured, modest folk for the most part. They know their city isn't as exciting as New York, or as romantic as San Francisco, but it has its own unique organic charm. A charm that DC, unfortunately, just lacks (in large part because the rest of the country is smart enough to send their Quigleys here).

Perhaps he should spend some more time in Chicago, and learn about the gems in his city and quit reading out of the guides they hand the tourists.

Posted by: bjhex | October 24, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Mr. Quigley. Chicago is great. John Wayne Gacey...the other famous serial killer from Chicago Andrew Urdialis...maybe it's something in that great food of yours.

Posted by: jetnarongaolcom | October 24, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

How do you like that Mike Quigley? Enjoy going back to your city of 8 months of winter, organized crime, crooked politicians, Jeremiah Wright, a nose-diving football season, and a baseball team that hasn't won a world series in a century. Go Skins!

Posted by: Quigleysoncrack | October 24, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

You know who else loves Soldier Field?

#28 Mr. Darrell Ray Green