The pageant of the transmundane
I can honestly say last night's Caps/Rangers game was one of the the most BIZARRE hockey games I have ever witnessed. It started at a weird time, on a weird day, and it just continued from there. Let's count down the oddness.
- The National Anthem from the Barenaked Ladies guy. I couldn't tell if the fans were booing him or what exactly was going on, but it definitely set the tone for the night of oddness.
- First fight of the game doesn't involve Prust, or Boogaard, or Hendricks, or King, but Mike Green? With Brandon Dubinsky? In the middle of the offensive zone?
- Jason Chimera attempts to drop the gloves with Michael Del Zotto, who doesn't bite, so Chimera actually goes back over to get his gear before getting jumped by Boyle.
- John Erskine scores a clean goal through Henrik Lundqvist, followed seconds later by Tyler Sloan doing his best Rob Deer impression (which was rivaled only by Karl Alzner's Dave Kingman impression that led to Boyle's second goal), leading to Derek Boogaard's first goal since Moses was lost in the bulrushes. I believe he still has fewer career goals than Marty Brodeur.
- Mike Knuble finally sacrificed the goat.
- Alex Semin was digging in the corners and fighting for loose pucks.
- John Tortorella got called for unsportsmanlike (wait...that's not really bizarre).
I felt at times like I was watching Super Bowl V on ice. Where's Jim O'Brien when you need him?
| November 10, 2010; 11:14 AM ET
Categories: Capitals, Ryan Cooper | Tags: Capitals, Ryan Cooper
Save & Share: Previous: Can Brooks Laich really win Sportsman of the Year?
Next: Thank you, Ron Weber
Posted by: butrfli5861 | November 10, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: j762 | November 10, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: krush01 | November 11, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Violetta55 | November 11, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse