Follow PostSports on Twitter  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS
Posted at 10:58 AM ET, 01/ 6/2011

Reading Mike Shanahan's mind (cont.)

By Stephen L. Carter

“So, the off-season is here. Lots to do. We climbed from 4-12 to 6-10 in my first year, but at that rate we’ll just be 8-8 next year, and the fans will be calling for my head. Still, I think I can make this thing work, if I can just get the pieces I need.

“I’d love to get Andrew Luck from Stanford as my franchise quarterback, but he might not even come out. And, if he does, I don’t know that I have enough draft picks stockpiled to make the trade. I’d probably need to give Carolina at least my No. 1 this year and next, and my No. 2 this year and maybe next. That would be one heck of a gamble.

“The trouble is, these other guys, who might be available when we pick, they don’t excite me that much. Ryan Mallett isn’t quite ready for prime time. Cam Newton is a project, with a lot of work to do, and we’ve already been through that with an Auburn quarterback. And that guy out at University of Washington – whatever his name is – well, he just sort of disappeared, didn’t he? So I think we’re stuck with Rex Grossman for a year, unless I pull a surprise and make up with Donovan.

“The trouble is, we have so many needs. There’s work to do along the offensive line, just about everywhere except center and left tackle. We need a big wide receiver, somebody you have to account for. We need a cover corner. We need a defensive lineman who can be disruptive – but without paying $41 million this time.

“There are no really attractive quarterbacks available in free agency this year, unless you consider Kerry Collins attractive. On the offensive line, I would love to have Mr. Snyder open his checkbook to go after Tyson Clabo. Willie Colon is also an interesting choice if he’s all healed. Maybe we could steal Logan Mankins (fat chance!). And if New Orleans gives a fat contract to Jermon Bushrod, maybe we can slip in there and sign Carl Nicks out from under their noses, because the Saints can’t possibly pay both of them the big bucks.

“On the defensive line, there are two big names available: Mathias Kiwanuka and Cullen Jenkins. Either one would require big money to sign, but not $41 million guaranteed. (Why does that figure stay in my head?) As for cornerbacks, none of the guys out there impresses me much, so we’ll likely keep our guys and work through the draft. I do think Antonio Cromartie might be interesting. Of course, what we need is a free safety. Tanard Jackson might be available cheap, given his problems. But do I really want to take on another problem child?

“You know something? Being in charge of personnel isn’t as easy as I thought it would be. I wonder whether I could turn it over to somebody else and just focus on the coaching ...”

By Stephen L. Carter  | January 6, 2011; 10:58 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins, Stephen L. Carter  | Tags:  Redskins, Stephen L. Carter
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It could always be worse
Next: Caps: contender or pretender?

Comments

"I wonder if these jerk off fans will give me more time to fix what took ten years to break?"

Posted by: TFizzle | January 6, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"And kickers! Geez, what's the deal with those guys?!?"

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | January 6, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TFizzle | January 6, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Now you see how Obama feels..

Posted by: sirmixx01 | January 6, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

TFizzle my thoughts exactly. Nice post!

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | January 6, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

As a Skins fan living in New Orleans, it would not shock me if the Saints let Bushrod go and spent the big money to keep Nicks. They drafted Charles Brown from USC as another tackle last year, and may be willing to give the job to him.

Posted by: jaypem | January 6, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder if my way isn't always right. I wonder if it was a mistake to put in a 3-4 defense with zero 3-4 personnel. I wonder if it was a mistake to lie to the media, the fans, and my players. I wonder if I gave my QB more time; say, another year, if he wouldn't be more effective, a la Jay Cutler, because he is learning a brand new system for the first time in twelve years. I wonder if my year off wasn't a waste, because I still have zero patience with my QB's, my Defense is at the bottom of the league, and my team was fortunate to win the 6 games it did.

Posted by: joedavis7 | January 6, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Left Tackle and Center? Who the he'll is playing Center? Crazy me. All this time I thought we had been playing with 2 Guards and 2 Tackles.

Center is a HUGE need!

Clegg

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 6, 2011 11:21 PM | Report abuse

The Shanahans - it's apparent that B. Allen is M. Shanahan's lackey much the same way Cerrato was to Snyder - made a huge mistake with the initial acquisition of McNabb. The unceremonious benching of McNabb was merited; forgiving the Shanahans in the poor handling of the benching is palatable, but the draft picks they are sending out the door with McNabb is not.

The problem that has plagued the Redskins since Snyder's arrival will continue to plague them: There's no checks and balances in the front office. Make no mistake about it, Mike Shanahan is calling ALL the shots. Bruce Allen collects a check, he doesn't earn a check. Until M. Shanahan shows some deference and relinquishes personnel responsibilities, the only change 'Skins' fans have to look forward to is no change.

Posted by: tony11 | January 8, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Even the most ardent Shanahan supporters would have to classify his behavior as erratic, at best. Does anyone think a quality talent would want him as a boss. Coach or player?

Would you?

Or would you prefer to go work for John Harbaugh, Raheem Morris, Rex Ryan, Mike Tomlin, Ken Wishenhunt? All hired in the last few years.

Posted by: jmueller7 | January 10, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Erratic is right. I'd just like to see better clock management next year.

Posted by: coparker5 | January 11, 2011 12:11 AM | Report abuse