Happy Monday! Now, read these articles...
I am bringing back my daily round-up of interesting college (and, now, internship) news. This time I am going with quicker write-ups, plus a handful of event listings for D.C. interns. Let me know what you think!
What I am reading this morning:
* The "new" unpaid interns: The Times Herald in Michigan has a great story about nontraditional interns -- people way over the age of 21, who have been laid off and are trying to switch fields by taking an unpaid internship.
* What was Kagan like in college? The Student Press Law Center talks with fellow Princeton grads about the supreme court nominee's college days, stint at the college newspaper.
* Nebraska joins the Big Ten: Forget football, the Omaha World-Herald reports that joining the Big Ten will allow the university to collaborate academically with "some of the most prestigious public universities in the land."
* The ultimate act of intimacy: Post Style reporter Monica Hesse studies her husband's search history to get to know him better.
* Former U-Md. student turned porn star dies in stand-off: Just read the first paragraph of this article in The Diamondback newspaper at the University of Maryland: "In 1998, an economics major threatened to dismember his MATH 111 instructor. Then he went to prison. Then he became a porn actor in California. Then he killed a co-star with a samurai sword. Then, on the run from police last week, he fell off a cliff."
* Super high grad rate: All 96 seniors who graduated from a 7-year-old charter school in Redwood City, Calif., have been accepted into college and plan to attend, the Mercury News reports. The county average of high school grads who continue to college is 51 percent, and the state average is 47 percent.
On the calendar:
* "State of Play" showing and discussion. The Newseum will show the film at 7 p.m. Stick around for a discussion with "Meet the Press" moderator David Gregory and Betsy Fischer, executive producer of "Meet the Press." Tickets are $25, but interns can get 50 percent off with an InternsROCK wristband.
* Every Monday night is $2-beer-night at Duffy's Irish Restaurant and Pub at 2106 Vermont Ave. Check out the Going Out Guide for more info.
* And, don't forget that InternsROCK Week runs through Friday. Check out the Web site for intern-only discounts and special promotions.
Campus Overload is a daily must-read for all D.C. interns. So, make sure to bookmark http://washingtonpost.com/campus-overload.
June 14, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories: News Overload | Tags: News Overload, University of Maryland, University of Nebraska
Save & Share: Previous: InternsROCK Week means deals galore
Next: Rep. Bob Etheridge vs. students with cameras
The comments to this entry are closed.