Rep. Bob Etheridge vs. students with cameras

Jenna Johnson

The YouTube video shows Rep. Bob Etheridge (D-N.C.) walking along. A man identifying himself as a student working on a project asks him a question while a camera rolls.

"Do you fully support the Obama agenda?"

Etheridge demands to know the identity of the students. He bats away a camera. He grabs one student by the wrist for several seconds. He then grabs the student by the neck and pulls him to his side in an awkward embrace.

No one seems to know who these students are or why Etheridge got into a tussle. Post blogger David Weigel poses the question: Who TMZ'd Rep. Bob Etheridge?

Campus Overload is a daily must-read for all D.C. interns. So, make sure to bookmark http://washingtonpost.com/campus-overload. You can also follow me on Twitter and fan Campus Overload on Facebook.

By Jenna Johnson  |  June 14, 2010; 12:13 PM ET
Categories:  News Overload
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Happy Monday! Now, read these articles...
Next: Tuesday news roundup

Comments

LMAO if the Congressman had been a Republican, the headline would have read:

"Right Wing Congressman Goes Bezerk, Assaults/Critically Injures Poor Student Film Maker"

Posted by: Phreedom | June 14, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

too many twinkies and booze paid for by tax payers at pelosi's fund raiser...what a moron..but of course the democrats will over look this incident as normal behavior.

Posted by: JWx2 | June 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

how is this not assault? i usually vote Democrat but this is ridiculous.

Posted by: judderwocky | June 14, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't defend Ehteridge's behavior, but these aren't real students, so in a sense the Congressman was provoked and took the bait.

And yes, I would still vote for him.

That's what happens when you drop drama courses in the public schools, no one can identify drama when they see it!

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | June 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I think this CONGRESSMAN was DRUNK. Just a
guess, but why would he act this way if he
were sober? Manhandling the student, knocking his camera to the ground. What a ....

Posted by: Naoma | June 14, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The person who posted the video called “DCCameraGuy” on YouTube, but not identified beyond that. Ethridge office has not yet responded to a request for comment, but is expected to issue a statement later. DCCameraGuy http://usspost.com/bob-etheridge-11152/

Posted by: susan166 | June 14, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Renee Ellmers, a solid, responsible, non-violent, true conservative, is the candidate running against the violent, savage, brutal eltheridge. Go to her web site and contribute. We must take back our country from these out-of-control d-crat socialist extremists.

Posted by: TeaPartyPatriot | June 14, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I love the way The Post frames this article, "Rep. Bob Etheridge vs. students with cameras". How about "Rep. Bob Etheridge ASSULTS college students".

Posted by: vrbjunk | June 14, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Etheridge must be expelled from Congress. Period.

Any Congressman who physically threatens a reporter for telling a story should be expelled. Period.

Posted by: gorak | June 14, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this congressman handled the situation properly but, judging from what is available here, the responsibility falls entirely on the "students".

1. A reporter will identify themselves and their publication/organization before asking a question. Even when asked, the students avoid identifying themselves.

2. The Rep was walking down the street and someone jams a "camera phone?" in his face and starts asking questions.

3. The 2nd cameraman interjects himself by adding to what the first is saying(a two-pronged attack, highly unprofessional for a journalist).

4. The video is clearly edited to make the congressman look as bad as possible.

5. The "students" would not even show their faces in the video. (What do they have to hide?)

So now it seems that the congressman is being convicted by many in this forum without the opportunity to face his accuser. I am not going to condemn anyone over viewing of an obviously edited one-sided video. Show me the raw footage so I can make an impartial judgment of the actions of all parties concerned.

(hint) look how close the camera is to the rep when he grabbed the hand. I would consider that an invasion of my "space" and defend myself accordingly as well. In this day and age you cannot trust anyone or anything to be as they appear. They should have kept their distance while asking questions instead of intentionally inciting the congressman to respond in this manner.

At any rate, considering the way the video is edited, they got both the response they were trying for and the response they deserved with their amateurish approach to an interview. This was not an attempt to interview anyone. It was intended to invoke this type of response and discredit the Representative.

Posted by: NTMD8OR | June 15, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

This Liberal thinks Etheridge is a disgrace and should resign. Now.

Posted by: thomasmc1957 | June 15, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I've been over at Huffington Post all morning following the 'conversation' of the events around this story. I'll say this: I spend a lot of time there, and today I noticed that there were a Lot of 'new posters' showing up. There are maybe 2-3 dozen 'newbies' with 'No Fans' which is usually an indication of their general involvement at HuffPo. This indicates to me that there is, or was, a whole POOL of RightWing partisan posters who were already waiting for this story to hit the airways so they could pounce on Bob Etheridge. Honest, I would notice that kind of thing; I've been a poster for Five full years and have a good handle on what a normal day's events would bring about, in terms of poster interest. I'm a Democrat and today have engaged maybe a half-dozen 'Trolls' whose agenda was obvious: They were on HuffPo to make all the 'Assault', 'Attack', 'Accost' charges against Congressman Etheridge, as if the kids were innocent, which they weren't. They were laying in wait for him to come down the sidewalk so they could accost him. I really think that they are losing ground and just never got the traction they had hoped to get. They all sounded like college sophomores in terms of their maturity, and their arguments accordingly were naive and weak. Congressman Etheridge hasn't been hurt by any of this, just maybe a little more friction back home. This could well have been pulled off with help from his opponent in the next election. Brick Sykes

Posted by: giantone1 | June 15, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse