The Flip-flop Revolution

Jenna Johnson

Today's guest blogger is Janice Wallace, editor of The Capitol Fashionista (and hater of flip-flops).

How is it that a pair of rubber shoes that were clearly meant for wet feet at swimming pools and beaches are now a fashion statement?

maddengirl_lulud_37.jpgIt is so bizarre to me. Flip-flops do not have any redeeming style value whatsoever. I am even more taken aback by shoe companies who tout their flip-flop lines as if they were referring to a pair of Louboutins. Outrageous.

Well, trust what I am saying to be true -- unless you are surrounded by water, you look silly. You also lose style points and could quite possibly be cited heavily by the Fashion Police. Watch your back. I am starting a flip-flop revolution.

There are very stylish and comfortable alternatives to these water shoes. Obviously, you make this easy choice because you are not aware of your options.

Well, consider yourself enlightened. Here are 10 fab alternatives to your flip-flops (all under $60) but only if you promise to never wear flip-flops in public again. That is unless you are at the pool or going to the beach!

Madden Girl Amithyst Natural Fabric Jeweled Flowers on a T
(Pictured above, courtesy of Lulus.com)
$37 at Lulus.com

Matt Bernson Cassiopeia Studded Sandal
$54 at Cusp

Anita by Pure by Rickard Shah
$39 at SimplySoles

Kelsi Dagger Women's Monaco Wedge Sandal
44.28 at Endless.com

Campus Overload is a daily must-read for all D.C. interns. So, make sure to bookmark http://washingtonpost.com/campus-overload. You can also follow me on Twitter and fan Campus Overload on Facebook.

By Jenna Johnson  |  July 23, 2010; 4:22 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. Interns  | Tags: Fashion, Internships
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hilarious (& sweet) intern tweets of the week
Next: That intern: The offensive intern

Comments

Posted by: Wallenstein | July 23, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

You are so completely wrong. All the shoes you offer as options are completely flat and offer no foot support of any kind. The nice flip flops I wear are cushiony, conform to my foot, and don't give me blisters. Which is much more than I can say for shoes like the ones you offer here. You need to find something else to obsess over.

Posted by: becky58a | July 23, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

i agree completely with becky58. the options you offer have little flexibility or cushioning and most sandals i've tried with straps cut into the skin.

Posted by: sarayahoo | July 23, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

This is amusing since most of the time all I wear is flip flops and jeans. I suspect there's a special place in hell for presumptive nitwits however.

Certainly my feet are healthier for it. If I have to go someplace dirty and/or cold I wear lightweight cross training shoes, or boots.

I had to toss out my Oxfords when they started to grow mold & the leather started to rot like the part of a cow corpse that they were made of... While I was disappointed by this, I was happy enough to get rid of them too.

Posted by: Nymous | July 24, 2010 3:24 AM | Report abuse

Get over it. I wear what I'm comfortable in and couldn't care less about what you think. I probably look a lot cuter than you too.

Posted by: HAT1521 | July 24, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Agree with the uncomfortableness. The flips I wear have way more support. And she is missing the one plus, I love that I can just walk in and out of them. Only two of the options here didn't have some strap and buckle of some kind that you had to do. And undo.

I want to be able to *flip* them on and *flip* them off.

Posted by: RocketGirl | July 24, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see some cute sandals for women who are on their feet a good bit of the time. I have two-year old twins, so flip-flops are out for me because I need to be able to run. Unfortunately, this leaves out most other strappy sandals as well. I would like something cute and comfortable that has a little more support. Does such a thing exist? I have a pair of Naot's that are on their last legs, and they're comfortable, but in terms of style they're just a step better than Birkenstocks.

Posted by: floof | July 24, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Floof, I recommend a pair of hiking sandals. They're designed to be supportive, and to stay on your feet. I love the brand Chacos, which are adjustable in every direction, machine washable, and incredibly comfortable. I wear mine both for hiking and traveling, and as an elementary school teacher during the warmer months.

Posted by: kacd | July 24, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Flip flops are not only super comfortable, they are AFFORDABLE too and no animals were killed in order to make them. I am way past putting up with discomfort to look "fashionable" - whatever that means. Cheers!

Posted by: compassion101 | July 24, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

One good thing about flip flops is that they can be taken off your feet quickly. This makes it easier to remove the flip flops and throw them at a member of Congress who happens to be passing by. In addition, with the low cost of flip flops, you can always get another pair to reload!!!

Posted by: jshay | July 24, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Wallenstein said, "There is a special palce in hell for *men* who wear flip flops in the city. With jeans."

Maybe. It would be filled with a bunch of relaxed, laid back, and content dudes. Actually, given how much religious people like telling others what to do, it might be an awesome "man cave" version of heaven. Complete with beer and foosball.

Posted by: Booyah5000 | July 24, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Wallenstein said, "There is a special place in hell for 'men' who wear flip flops in the city with jeans."

Posted by: Booyah5000 | July 24, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I think flip-flops have been around for around 6000 years...at least as long as people realized that if they had something under their soles and heels they wouldn't get as many cuts and splinters.

Posted by: epespinoza43 | July 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Sure, flip-flops are comfortable and easy to wear - but they are so very tacky. Kinda like picking your nose in public, which you may also find comfortable and easy. Flip-flops should never, ever be worn to the office, even on casual days - that's so unprofessional. And that especially includes interns in congressional offices - no flip-flops! Remember that young women's sports team that all wore flip-flops to the White House. Ugh!

Posted by: J1789 | July 24, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

While you're at it, how about a column on showing off the bra straps in public? Definitely not appropriate for school or work, quetionable everywhere else except at home or a Playboy shoot.

It's called an undergarment for a reason. Same as boys showing boxer sorts. T-A-C-K-Y.

Posted by: trace1 | July 24, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

There is no fashion in America. We were not always but now certainly are the "Ugly American" the world has come to enjoy so much. One is amused by those on here that so adore their little pieces of cheap but "comfortable" and noisy footwear. Well, one might be comfortable wearing in public ones boxers and no shirt, or maybe some athletic shorts with a hoodie and then of course the flip-flops, but you don't see... oh wait, that's practically all I see on the campus where I work and on the streets. Maybe that is the fashion of today's laid back, clone mentality that has been cultured so well in the United States. But then, who can afford to look good in this country? And nobody cares about this just like nobody cares about anything of importance in this dying culture.

Posted by: GDWymer | July 24, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GDWymer | July 24, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

sorry, you are an overweight, out of step with the times, old woman.....nobody needs or cares for your outmoded sense of fashion.....please.

Posted by: californicationdude | July 24, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a big fan of flip flops. I had to wear then for a month earlier this year because I had surgery on my big toe and I was told NOT to wear a shoe, but that flip flops were the best thing. My dr. was right. I wore a sneaker for one day and had tremendous pain at my surgery site. I was really glad once my toe healed.
I have a relative who only wears flip flops, even to her office. She got a letter from her doctor so she wouldn't get fired. It's a good thing we live in So. Cali. Primarily she wears them because she weighs too much to bend in anyway to put real shoes on. She owns so many pairs that another relative refers to her as "Imelda."

Posted by: kodonivan | July 24, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

What? Are you all long lost, inbred cousins of George Will?

Next, you'll be turning up your snooty little noses at blue jeans.

Posted by: areyousaying | July 24, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Sartorial heaven is Chiapas, Mexico, where everyone goes about their personal and professional lives in blue jeans. Most young people wear t-shirts and young men wear baseball caps. To dress up to go teach at the university, I wear always shined black loafers and a collared shirt with my jeans.

The jeans people wear are clean, of course, and never ripped, stained or torn. Sandals and some times flip-flops are the footwear of the 21st Century here.

No prissy east coast, George Will, graduates of Liberty University snobs, telling me what to wear and, as an added bonus, no one is packing heat while trying to bully me into complying with their intolerant white supremacist Soap Opera Sarah religion.

I may never return.

Posted by: areyousaying | July 24, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Bare feet are bare feet, whatever is under them.

My flip-flops are $2 at Walmart. Why would you pay anything more to put on the pavement?

Posted by: schafer-family | July 24, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse