Posted at 7:00 AM ET, 12/ 8/2010

A Caps-centric farewell to Michael Wilbon

By Lindsay Applebaum

Now-former Washington Post sports columnist Michael Wilbon might be known as a basketball guy, but he grew up playing hockey in Chicago. He also wrote more than a few stories about the Caps, his first when he was a 22-year-old reporter in April 1981. As a farewell of sorts to one of sportswriting's greats, here are some vintage highlights:

April 6, 1981: At the End, Downhearted Caps Ask, 'Where's the Justice?'
When the victorious Caps skated off the ice, Toronto held a 3-2 lead going into the third period. The play-by-play from Quebec was on a radio in Green's tiny office. Several players and Green crammed inside. Others paced the dressing room floor like expectant fathers.

"What's the score?" and "How much time's left?" were the only questions asked. When the players had to return to the ice to pose and sign autographs for picture night, six minutes remained in the other game.

Bob Kelly refused to go anywhere. He stayed and listened to the end. "You gotta listen 'till the end," he said. "You gotta hope." | Story »

April 9, 1988: To Keep Stanley Cup as a Goal, Good Goalkeeping is Key
It was a night when Peeters and the Capitals' defense seemed to work in perfect concert. Even if they hadn't, however, it seemed like one of those evenings where a goalkeeper could control the game.

"I've been saying all along that there's one guy who can flat-out win games for you," Stevens reminded listeners in the glee of the home locker room. "The team that goes the furthest in the Stanley Cup usually has the hottest goalie. If you don't have [Mario] Lemieux and [Wayne] Gretzky, a goaltender can win it for you."

To be sure, neither of the electrifying scorers was on the ice last night. But the way Peeters was going, he might have held them in check, too. | Story »

November 21, 1992: At These Depths, It's Dark and Scary
Outside at least three gates, well-organized and still-miffed fans passed out "Dino" signs. Thousands of them. Red and white signs. Detroit Red Wings colors. Out of every three people you saw at Capital Centre, it seemed at least one was wearing a Dino jersey and at least two held Dino signs. Two hours before the game, as Dino Ciccarelli conducted a TV interview, two fans wearing Dino jerseys took the wrappings off a nicely mounted, expensively framed photo portrait. Before they were completely finished unveiling it, Dino smiled. It was him, in a Capitals uniform. "How about it?" one of the fans asked. "Wrong uniform," Dino replied, a little smirk breaking across his face.

Ain't that the truth. What a reminder. Every turn Dino took on the ice was a reminder of the steep slide the Capitals appear unable to stop nearly a quarter of the way into the season. The Penguins have Mario Lemieux and a still-emerging Jaromir Jagr. The Capitals' big move is to trade Dino for Kevin Miller, a 27-year-old whose big season was 20 goals and 26 assists. | Column »

May 9, 1998: Indomitable, Impenetrable
KANATA, ONTARIO -- The Washington Capitals didn't win Game 4 Wednesday night, Olaf Kolzig did.

By himself.

Kolzig beat the Ottawa Senators. Kolzig withstood his teammates, too. It's tough to tell which was more difficult.

Every Capitals player should go to an ATM Thursday, withdraw the amount of one game check, put the money in an envelope, hand it to Kolzig, and beg his forgiveness. | Column »

October 18, 2000: Just Remember One Thing: Roy Is a Winner
I am numb to records now. ESPN and the Elias Sports Bureau did this. We're bombarded with so many statistics, we're told so often that what just happened has never happened before, we no longer know the difference between a record and stupid, useless trivia. "It's a record for grand slams in one inning off of a left-handed set-up man." Or, "He is the first married running back in NFL history to gain 1,500 yards rushing, 1,000 yards receiving, 500 yards returning punts and 500 yards passing."

It's insane, really. It doesn't do anybody any good, except the young dweebs hired by sports radio and TV networks to come up with this drivel. And it leaves us not knowing exactly what to make of legitimate records, such as the one Patrick Roy set here against the Washington Capitals last night.

For 30 years Terry Sawchuk was without peer when it came to NHL games won by a goaltender. But Roy, by winning for the 448th time in his 17-year career, surpassed Sawchuk. The Capitals, still winless, will be history's footnote in Roy's dramatic 4-3 overtime victory for still-undefeated Colorado. | Column »

By Lindsay Applebaum  | December 8, 2010; 7:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In sixth season with Caps, Alexander Semin is still a mystery
Next: Scott Hannan skating with Mike Green at practice

Comments

Wilbon is one of the biggest tools ever! That moron has taken every opportunity possible over the past few seasons to bash the Caps and specifically Ovie. Good riddance to this jerk, one of sportswriting's greats....PLEASE!!

Posted by: PhilR | December 8, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR

-cosigned

Posted by: Bagher | December 8, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Let the Caps fan lovefest for Wilbon start now, lol. Poor Mike was never much loved here.

Two other ideas/points: (1) hold onto Semin because no one else on the Caps can replace him in the foreseeable future. Trade him and watch the lockerroom implode. And (2) replace BB because as VTCaps has pointed out he plays his favorites and benches heart guys and is losing control of his superstars, and as TominSoCal has pointed out, he is no disciplarian and he will not form a true checking line necessary for playoff series victories.

I really think BB has taken this team as far as he can. He has tried to install a new system of team defense, but his players tune him out from period to period.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 8, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

"Goalkeeper"? WTH is a "goalkeeper"???

Posted by: 1995hoo | December 8, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Hahahahaha -- I did not get off my comment before the Mikey LoveFest began, rofl.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 8, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Michael Wilbon,

Don't let the door hit you in the...Nah that's not the right thing to do. Ugh.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 8, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I don't bash Wilbon because he wasn't a Capitals "homer" columnist as much as because he was a football/basketball aficionado who didn't give a hoot about the Caps and never seemed to acknowledge their growing popularity (see current consecutive sellout crowds at Verizon). He seemed tone deaf to the Caps.

I still hope some day the Post will hire a columnist who writes about the Caps and the NHL in general with some passion, insight and experience, rather than having an army of columnists who devote most of their time to obsessing about Danny Snyder destroying our region's once classy football team.

Posted by: blackjack65 | December 8, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

If the trend continues with the Caps winning, esp with a SC or 2, and the Deadskins continue to lose so badly, then this town will become more of a hockey than football town.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 8, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the first comment. So long, you won't be missed.

Never liked any of his columns when I actually read them.

Posted by: jwash4472 | December 8, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

So long, Wilbon, and thanks for all the fish.
(Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference for the younger among you).

Good riddance.

Posted by: pcalver1 | December 8, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

@blackjack65

That makes two of us. I miss the days of Bob Fachet covering the team year-in and year-out. This revolving door of beat writers, well...it just could be better

Good riddance, Wilbon....i'll still change the channel when I see ya on espn

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 8, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2

I don't see BB being replaced. He won the President's trophy, and now his teaam is 10 games above 500. Hard to justify firing. I would suggest dumping his assistants. Might be smart as a shake up, bring in some new blood.

As far as Semin goes, I think things need to get more uncomfortable for the players, OV specifically. If you can move Semin for 2 pieces, one who is a leader, it could work. An example: LA Kings (D. Brown and W. Simmonds)

Something to consider anyway.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 8, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

You have well summarized the feelings of tens of thousands of Caps fans about Mr. Wilbon. See ya, loser.

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 8, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

@underpants2

I agree w/your take on the coaching situation; BB is secure but the assistant coaches could be fall guys to send a message...good idea! That said, I STILL WON'T STOP CALLING FOR BB'S HEAD UNTIL IT'S BEEN SEVERED FROM THE TEAM!!

GO CAPS, KICK FLORIDA'S A@@!!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 8, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I for one will greatly miss Wilbon and will proudly put it out there. Don't be sore because his work didn't center around the Caps. Yes he was harsh about Ovie on many instances but part of his job was to intelligently challenge your thinking or start a meaningful debate (unlike, say, they way Mike Wise does it). Ovie certainly has room for criticism and I'm happy for having someone who wasn't just a straight up homer drinking the cool-aid. Wilbon was a true hockey fan, but the Post's sports readership was and is driven by the Skins and national issues related to NFL/NBA-related stories. It's unfortunate that there isn't another columnist of Wilbon's caliber who can focus on writing about the Caps regularly, but losing Wilbon is a sad day.

Posted by: gmAndAguinness. | December 8, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

@ underpants, I can only imagine Semin playing in the KHL besides the NHL. If GMGM trades away Semin, I imagine the team will respond very poorly as he has friends on the team and he is such an introvert.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 8, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

As a Caps fan for more than 30 years, I hope I have standing to say at least one person on this board is sorry to see Wilbon go. It always seemed odd for someone so Chicago-centric to spend most of his career writing for a DC paper, but the work was usually good and insightful even if he did get it completely wrong from time to time, most spectacularly in his columns after the death of Michael Jordan's father and Sean Taylor. Like the rest of the Post, the Caps were never his top priority, but what he did write about them was at least reasonable, and he at least had played the game. Good luck in the next chapter, Wilbon.

Posted by: zimbar | December 8, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I miss the Wilbon of the 90's when his columns were insightful and entertaining. I won't miss the self-important, pompous a-hole that Wilbon seemed to be in the last 10 years. Too much hanging out with Tony K probably.

Posted by: kingbonehead | December 8, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Glad he is gone. I agree with the first comment on this blog and that from blackjack65. He will NOT be missed.

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 8, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Well atleast his piece on former caps goalie pete peeters was good.He was my fav cap back then.He was the reason i started playing goalie in hockey.He wasnt no Roy but to me back then as a kid and my love for hockey and the goalie position and watching him play,he was awesome to me.I still got my authentic Pete Peeters jersey signed by all the caps from that era.So it was nice to read about my caps hero back then is all im sayn,thanks mike but adios!GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | December 8, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2

You may be right, it might backfire. But my thought is that because they are all friends, it appears to be holding them back a bit. They could benefit from a more business like approach, especially in the postseason.

But you are right about Semin, he is extremely intuverted. If you do trade him, you cannot trade him to a Canadian market, for his own sake. It needs to be somewhere he can blend in, like here.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 8, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Agree that from the perspective of Caps coverage, Wilbon's departure is no loss. He said that Ovi would have to look through the small end of a telescope to see Crosby, the distance between their achievements is so great. I believe he said this in one on his on line chats. He took time from his defense of Tiger Woods to trash Ovi. Good riddance to him.

Posted by: pirate1 | December 8, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

lol, Lindsay, you shouldn't have gone there. I don't know anyone that pays attention to chicago-mike. I'm glad he's history.

Posted by: Hattrik | December 8, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

So you're all mad because he said your best player isn't as good as Sid? Really? Is that the basis for people disliking Wilbon?
Its professional hockey(or any other professional sport)so you're measured in championships.
Sid's been to the finals twice and won 1 Cup thus far. Say what you want about his performance in the finals but he was a large part of the reason they even got there.
Ovechkin hasn't even made the finals yet let alone won anything. And before everyone goes to the "individual awards" argument consider that hockey is a team sport. If this was ice dancing his individual awards would actually mean something.
So he hurt your feelings by taking issue with Ovechkin on occasion. Where is the law that says he can't criticize your team's best player? You have to be a homer to work for WaPo?
Crosby was criticized in the media several times over the years by the Pittsburgh media when it was legitimate...big deal. Your best players are supposed to take the heat. If they can't then they aren't your best players.
If the criticism is fair and/or accurate the writer was doing his job.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 8, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Really? - no Caps fan will miss that NBA-Chicago homer- tool!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 8, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

ohh PhilR has it covered. I cosign also.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 8, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

You gotta be kidding me, right? A tribute to Wilbon on CI? What's next, an ode to Korn-hole? Both of those a-holes are no Caps fans. Good riddance. Now let's move on - this blog is about hockey.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | December 8, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I find this to be insulting. Wilbon is a disingenous jackass who treated the Caps and their fans with disdain continuously. And you would rub our noses in it by putting his crap on here? Bad decision.

Posted by: poguesmahone | December 8, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Back in 1999 when I was finishing up a term at MC before transferring to Towson U, I worked at the Sports Authority on Rockville Pike. Wilbon came in and asked me a bunch of questions about roller blades. I can remember him being very nice and he walked out of the store buying a great pair of skates. Other than that, I have nothing positive to say about him. His writing was very biased and at times, blatantly racist. I don't know if he was taking care of favors from his bestest buddy John Thompson. Who knows? Like Tony K, his lack of hockey knowledge was embarrassing. I never knew why the Post would never hire any writers that took hockey seriously. Most of the Caps accomplishments were often buried next to horse racing and still are. This paper needs fix this. It seems like now we're assigning the Caps to beat writers just out of college. When was the last time Jason or Tarik has ever wrote a piece on the Caps? I can't remember either. Merry Christmas to you and your family Mike. I have nothing personal against you, but as Caps fans; you will not be missed.

Posted by: gerse | December 8, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

So are you saying the media's treatment of Crosby has been unfair? Ok now I have definitely seen it all - the guy's a good player but every time I turn on the NHL network or TSN or listen to Grapes it's like the guy's a combo of Gretzky, Mario, Orr, Forsberg, and Messier rolled into one; it is freaking nauseating.

Can you imagine the media outcry north of the border if Ovie had ever done something remotely as dirty as this:

Personally, I find what fellow players have to say about Sidney much more revealing than what some fawning sportswriter who's never played writes:

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 8, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the posting of this on Capitals Insider really shows how out of touch these Post "reporters" are with Caps fans. Talk about clueless...............

Posted by: poguesmahone | December 8, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

You are right poguesmahone. WaPo is really out of touch with Caps fans to think that they would care about Wilbon after his 30+ years of dissing the Caps and their fans.

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 8, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@poguesmahone,
You have hit the nail on the head. Great point. The very presence of this posting is the smoking gun concerning the WaPo's lack of understanding of how the Caps fan base views WaPo's mostly moronic sports columnists.

Posted by: pcalver1 | December 8, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

A tribute to Wilbon on the Caps blog...it's not April 1st so this has to be a holiday joke , right ?
PLEEAASSEE...He has ZERO love for the Caps and even less for their fans.
Just slap us in the face..it'd be easier to take.

Posted by: jotay131 | December 8, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Ha- we are all in a bad mood today, eh? 3 game losing streak will do that. Well, with Wilbon gone...at least they have replaced him with a New York homer in Mike Wise...another DB! Honestly, I think Boswell is the only writer that gets it.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 8, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay: you owe us now. The only way to redeem yourself is to email all these comments to Wilbon. He needs to know he is loathed by hockey fans in this town.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | December 8, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

BigDaddy651:
"So you're all mad because he said your best player isn't as good as Sid?"

No, I have issues with Wilbon because he played the race card when it was inappropriate. I was being extremely polite in my comment above as I haven't forgotten nor will I forgive him for that. In fact at the time I wanted him fired. Good bye and good riddance is what I really want to say. Again, I'm being polite. And you know I really don't care one way or the other whether Wilbon thinks Crosby is a better player than Ovechkin.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 8, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I canceled home delivery of the Post because of Wilbon. He should have been fired years ago.

Posted by: RockRed | December 8, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

What was always shockingly clear to me in reading Wilbon's articles is how little he actually followed hockey in the post lockout era - and maybe even the post trap era. All he knew was a couple key terms here or there and failed to understand the nuances of the game. Looking at a couple of his old pieces, they were solid but those ended in the early 90s. Just as hockey changed, he changed into an NBA loving ego trip. I'd suggest that this article is arriving 15 years too late, since that's about when the Caps fans said goodbye to Mr. Wilbon. I'd almost always want the 5 min of my life I spent reading his Caps articles back, since they were written by somebody who knew very little about the game and was probably upset his editor told him to waste his precious time on a hockey article in the first place.

Posted by: chatton | December 8, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Wilbon in the next chapter. Of those articles, the best one was on the Caps missing out on the playoffs on the last night. A good journalist shouldn't be "liked", so if a lot of Caps fans (and Wizards fans, and Redskin fans) felt they didn't "like" him, maybe it's because he did his job.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 8, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi,
Yeah, that was the problem. ;

Let's see, race baiting in every column; check.
no visible knowledge of hockey; check
the largest ego on the planet; check
Buh bye, Wilbon. Luv your show, babe.

Posted by: pcalver1 | December 8, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Redskins - league champs
Bullets - league champs
United - league champs

What it takes to get covered really well by any columnist at WaPo - league champs at least once.

Washington is all about sucking up to winners. The Post is no different.

Posted by: sjshanno | December 8, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Well.....haters gonna hate. *shrugs*

I'll miss Mr. Wilbon's insights on the DC sport scene. If anyone bothers to look at the articles he wrote a ton about the Caps pre-lockout, and post-lockout he was full time on the NBA beat. The man loves a good hockey game, ask him anytime you want. He knows his stuff. Not everyone can do everything all the time.

Personally, I wish him the best of luck with his new gig and hope we still see him in town from time to time. Say...for a deep playoff run this year.

Posted by: EricS2 | December 8, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: festus75 | December 8, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

this is so predictable from typical small-minded hockey fans...

Posted by: joek443 | December 8, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

For those of you hating on Wilbon, it should be noted that, during the Caps improbable Stanley Cup run in '98, he wrote an article touting Ron Wilson not allowing injuries to be used as an excuse for a team not performing. He noted that a LOT of the Caps at that time were originally not the team's main stars, but had to step in due to injury. So, the man did know hockey. And he wrote the truth, no matter how uncomfortable it made other people.

Posted by: stwasm | December 8, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon had more "hits" than he was given credit for.

However, recent history has shown his hipocrisy.

When "it" hit the fan (lockout, etc.) - he openly bashed hockey and the Caps, stopped following both, rode the PTI/ESPN meal ticket --- YET still wanted credibility in the hockey community.

That killed whatever respect I had for him re: hockey.

Posted by: CF11555 | December 8, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

BetterOffWithFedorov,
I found this subject really interesting. One of the first comments mentioned some comparison Wilbon made between Crosby & Ovechkin.
I simply don't understand why that would upset someone. As long as you like Ovechkin, who cares what a columnist thinks?
For whatever reason(s), there always seems to be some ongoing banter about which player is better and I guess the poster's point was Wilbon wasn't qualified to make the comparison. As a sportswriter, isn't it his job to question when the team he's covering falls short of a championship?
To me that's part of the job's description.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 8, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked to read that Wilbon grew up playing hockey because his knowledge of the game never came through in any of the lame pieces that I read from him. Good Luck!?! Are you f***ing kidding me!?! GOOD RIDDANCE you punk a** poser!

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 8, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"this is so predictable from typical small-minded hockey fans..."

I don't consider myself "small-minded", but perhaps being small-minded I just don't realize it. My mind is at minimum large enough to know to start a sentence with a capital letter.

I think most of the comments are pretty darn accurate. I think Wilbon is an arrogant tool that did a horrible job covering a game he was supposed to know well. Before the race baiters jump in it has nothing to do with his color. Tarik on the other hand was the best Caps writer we've ever had.

Wilbon, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Posted by: FLDave | December 8, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

We can put aside that Wilbon is an obnoxious jerk. We can put aside that, notwithstanding the claim that he played hockey once, he never showed any appreciation for the sports or the local team. We can put aside that he was downright mean spirited to Caps fans (remember him mocking those who showed up to welcome Jagr at the airport?). But putting all that aside, I agree with those who agree that the real import of this posting is what it reveals about the current Post hockey reporters and their utter cluelessness about Caps Nation.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | December 8, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsdude- No doubt, they are utterly clueless.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 8, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!
--------------------------

You Wilbon haters are as preditable and stupid as Dale Jr. fans in NASCAR...

"Junior walks on water, can't do anything wrong even though he hasn't won a race in almost 3 years while making over $30M/year... Wilbon is a tool, can't co anything right and that he grew up playing hockey in Chicago is a total lie, etc... "

Posted by: joek443 | December 8, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

preditable = predictable

Posted by: joek443 | December 8, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

joek- You're as predictable as the sun rising daily with your NASCAR references on this HOCKEY blog. It figures you would like Wilbon. Can you post anything on here without citing NASCAR or the NFL Patriots?

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 8, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon will not be missed much by Caps fans. He was, at best, a mediocre writer. My big regret is that he will not be taking Mike Wise with him.

Posted by: pjohn2 | December 8, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance. I will never understand why to Post keeps sports columnist that cannot cover all four major sports.

Posted by: brihobbs | December 8, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

@BigDaddy--it was about fifteen plus posts in before Pirate1 brought up Crosby. Therefore your gleeful ire is completely bogus.

I agree withBetterofwithFerdorov about Wilbon. I stopped reading him completely after he wrote that inflammatory and factually incorrect piece about Ovi during the Olympics in which he invoked the race card.

My disdain for Wilbon has nothing to do with Crosby. It has everything to do with the fact that he had no interest in the Caps at all unless he could write something horrible about them. For someone who could write such perceptive columns about the Wizards he had absolutely no objectivity about or sensitivity for the Caps. He won't be missed by me.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Editor: "Lindsay, we need a highly inflammatory post on CI, something to get traffic moving. By the way, Wilbon's moving on".

Lindsay: "Thank you, god"

Posted by: pga6 | December 9, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns,
I could care less what Cap's fans think of Wilbon.
Someone referenced his comparision to Crosby and I thought that was what everyone disliked him for. I rarely read Wilbon's stuff(can't stand PTI but its as much Tony as Wilbon).
From what I've read on here people seem pissed that he was critical of Ovechkin. Was his criticism deserved(as objective as any fan of a team/player can be)?
Was it related to winning last season's President's Trophy then going out in the first round? Was it the attention he got from the league for some of his borderline hits? Was it the cheapshot on Gonchar in playoffs? What was Wilbon's issue?

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 9, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse