A Full(er) House At Kettler (Updated)

Just got back from my NASCAR assignment and figured I would wander over to Kettler to see who's on the ice. And to my surprise, about half the team is out there today, including:

Brent Johnson, Jose Theodore, Karl Alzner, Brooks Laich, Boyd Gordon, Nicklas Backstrom (who appears to have gotten a haircut), Donald Brashear, Shaone Morrisonn, David Steckel, John Erskine, Chris Clark and Matt Bradley.

Update:Alzner said the team asked him if he wanted to come a little early and get comfortable, and he, of course, agreed. It's probably a good thing he's here early because expectations for him are high. I wrote a while ago that Coach Bruce Boudreau and GM George McPhee are hoping that Alzner will be able to handle top-4 minutes in Washington right away. Because if he's not, they'll be faced with a tough decision.

"I got here early because I wanted to see how the other guys practice, and where they are, and because I'm more comfortable if I know who I'm skating with," he said. "That will help me relax. I also wanted to show my face and make some friends."

On a side note, Alzner also was wearing Thermablades on his skates today. I only noticed because when he was hanging them in his locker, there was a small red LED light that was shining through the plastic just above the blade. He said he got them three weeks ago, but isn't sure whether he's going to use them in games this season.

"It's supposed to be able to help you glide better, turn better and stop faster," he said. "I'm just giving them a test run."

More guys are on the way, including Michael Nylander, who I'm told was supposed to arrive in Washington last night. Simeon Varlamov, who had Hershey colored pads sitting in front of his stall, is also en route to the States.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 8, 2008; 10:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Training Camp Schedule Announced
Next: Nylander On The Ice At Kettler

Comments

first maybe..

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: R | September 8, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Did Backstrom look like he was back in shape? I saw a picture of him at the start of the summer and whoa! Talk about ballooning!

I've lost some weight recently and it looked like Nicky had found it. Lay off the meatballs back home Nick.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 8, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom looks fine.

Posted by: Tarik | September 8, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Cheers T, hope the NASCAR didn't send you to sleep. At least hockey is getting closer.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 8, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see Nylander out there after all that time off.

Any word about him getting back out there early Tarik?

Posted by: SA-Town | September 8, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

When are those guys out there. I work right down the street and would like to come check them out.

Posted by: 828 | September 8, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

This is awesome news. I'm getting more and more fired up.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | September 8, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

the practices are generally 10-noon. There were a handful of fans here today.

As for Nylander, since he doesn't have an agent, it's tough to know when he's arriving or what he's thinking.

Posted by: Tarik | September 8, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I don't know about you but I find NASCAR about as interesting as tennis, that is not very interesting.

Glad you're back! (Now get to work on the Caps ;)

Sapper

Posted by: Sapper | September 8, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, have no fear, I'll watch NASCAR every now and then, but now that football season is upon us, I'm done.

Are you more of Formula 1 guy or a NASCAR guy?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | September 8, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Are the Ice Girls skating?

Will you be "covering" them?

Posted by: Girl Watcher | September 8, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Tarik--

Would you feel more at home this year if the skaters just skated around the outside of the rink in circles instead of all that puck passing, stickhandling and stuff?

Posted by: E-Shore Fan | September 8, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

School started, so wouldn't that mean that Nylander should be in the area? I'd have thought he would be one of the first out there.

Posted by: oo7 | September 8, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Hi Tarik,
Let's get to the really important stuff...any photos of the Bruce Boudreau bobble-head yet? I'd be willing to order one of those.
Cheers, Brian

Posted by: Brian Speagle | September 8, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin Backstrom Nylander

federov

Laich

Gordo

Posted by: topline | September 8, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

For those worried about Backstrom's weight, he actually looked thinner and stronger than last year. The baby fat from his face seems to be gone and he's looking more like a man.

Posted by: b.orr4 | September 8, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Nylander will not be on the top line with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Posted by: 828 | September 8, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I tried out for the squad and am on pins and needles waiting to see if I made the cut.

Its going to be soooo much fun! :-)

Posted by: Spirit Squad Hopeful | September 8, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Nylander comes back from Sweden this week. I don't know if he'll be joining in the informal practices.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | September 8, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you didn't hear? I got the phone call saying I made it.

Posted by: Cassi | September 8, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Cassi,
I'm going to have to run home and check the answering machine.

I am soooo nervous.

Posted by: Spirit Squad Hopeful | September 8, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

@Hopeful - good luck and some advice; you should not be sitting on your sewing basket.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | September 8, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Squad Hopefull,

Which one were you? I could prolly tell you if you made it or not.

So, I was like the blonde one that wore the red bikini. I am sooo hot. There was like no way they weren't going to choose me.

Posted by: Cassi | September 8, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Cassi

How many tried out?

Are we going to have a good looking group (meaning hot girls)?

What did they tell you about the uniform?

Posted by: Girl Watcher | September 8, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

No way "she" is real.

Posted by: Cassi Is Fake | September 8, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"Cassi Is Fake "

Whatevs

Posted by: Cassi | September 8, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Then give us more insider info.

Posted by: Cassi Is Fake | September 8, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

its possible that nylander could turn up on the top line at some point. With the host of centers and him being a left shot, its very possible.

Posted by: capscaps | September 8, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Japers Rink posted today that Semin isn't planning on getting here until the day before Veterans are supposed to report.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 8, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

There were like 30 of us. 6 will make it. At first, we will be wearing these red tshirts and those nylon warm-up pants. Like, I think that is so people can get used to the girls out there. After a few games we will be in something else. If you want to find out more, come to the games.

Posted by: Cassi | September 8, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@Cassi,
have a pic online?

And why only 6?

Posted by: Girl Watcher | September 8, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Like, Cassi is so fake. Like, Im gonna use like so you think i'm a real bimbo.

Posted by: Cassi Is Fake | September 8, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Please...make it stop

Posted by: I H8 Puckbunnies | September 8, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Girl Watcher,

From dictionary.com:

gullible
gul·li·ble Pronunciation[guhl-uh-buhl]
-Adjective
easily deceived or cheated.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 8, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero - JP actually posted that Semin said he would be leaving (not arriving) on the 18th. Makes me wonder what time he actually gets into town.

Either way, he's cutting it mighty close. Typical Semin.

Posted by: Jill | September 8, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't know whos faking it or what but Super and I saw the ice girls and they are absolutely hot. But it seems as if most are there to get attention and I doubt know much about hockey. I am sure they will test them and try to at least teach them some about the history and traditions.

Anyways, I think they will be a nice addition but it depends on who they choose.

Posted by: #94 | September 8, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Just saw that the rookie game is sold out.

Posted by: #94 | September 8, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I've been told I'm hot, but that's really my call. I can tell you I don't have to buy drinks at the clubs.

Posted by: Spirit Squad Hopeful | September 8, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I mean that's NOT really my call.

Posted by: Spirit Squad Hopeful | September 8, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

so you are easy not hot?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Final Roster
The Capitals Spirit Squad final roster will be posted online at The Washington Capitals website on Monday September 8th, 2008.

The final roster is supposed to be on the Caps website some where. not finding it...

Posted by: 828 | September 8, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of coming on here and having nothing to say. I need some hockey to watch gawlshdarnit.

Posted by: Ben | September 8, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hot? You decide.
Easy? Only if you are Ovechkin. lol

Posted by: Spirit Squad Hopeful | September 8, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

It is a sad, sad day when people care more about the "Spirit Squad" than they do the fact that half the team is skating 2 weeks before training camp starts.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Dear Caps cheerleaders,
exchange e-mails and stop wasting this space for your jibber jabber. this is exactly why hockey loyalists didn't want the waste of space cheer squad.

Tarik- Did Backstrom dabble in any competition in Sweden while he was home? I could see he painted over the white top cuff of his glove and changed it to a miserable shotty purple. Was this for a team regulation while he was over there?

Posted by: Real News Only Please | September 8, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@Real News Only Please
Like you won't be looking at us. ;-)

Posted by: Cassi | September 8, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

You're full of yourself. Make sure not to block game play. Ever.

Posted by: Real News Only Please | September 8, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

the cheerleaders better be hot! Watched the colts/bears sunday night game...talk about busted cheerleaders. Indianapolis must really be lacking

Posted by: O-V-P | September 8, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Like what is game play?

Posted by: Cassi | September 8, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like having pro-ho's as our "cheerleaders"!

Posted by: MNMNT | September 8, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

When did Tarik write "that Coach Bruce Boudreau and GM George McPhee are hoping that Alzner will be able to handle top-4 minutes in Washington right away."???? More importantly when did BB or McPhee say these things?

I only recall diplomatic answers from those two, along the lines of "we can always make room for someone who will make our team better" and "we'll see come training camp". Link anyone? Tarik?

Posted by: Ben | September 8, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"Easy? Only if you are Ovechkin. lol"

What am I, chopped liver?

Posted by: Mike Green | September 8, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

pro-ho's in the hooooooooooouse!
hahaha

Posted by: MNMNT | September 8, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@mike green,

Maybe if you quit buying all those sunglasses and watches. See the girls see how you are such a high roller with that bling and they get intimidated.

You need to have that goofy charm like ovie so that you are easily approachable

Posted by: O-V-P | September 8, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Excellent update on Alzner, and I'm stoked that Nyles is on the way!

Posted by: Jill | September 8, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I can't help wishing Semin's attitude were more like Alzner's.

Posted by: Jill | September 8, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Jill, you're not gonna break me this year!!!

Posted by: 828 | September 8, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

z0MGZZZZZZZ HOckey's coming its coming grab your doors lock the children! Hockeys coming!

Great to see all the guys gettin an early start... Good stuff.

Posted by: MetalCap | September 8, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

The Ice Girls won't need the Thermablades cause they're hot already.

Posted by: No Thermablades Needed | September 8, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

nhl 09 and 2k9 are out at Best Buy tomorrow -- that should hold us until the rookie game

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

anyone on Xbox live?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I will be online tomorrow evening, gamertag The Red Jezus...assuming I can get my internet problems solved.

Posted by: Ben | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see the demo for NHL 2K9 on the Wii? I'll be at Target tomorrow after work!

Posted by: RobMonroe | September 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Whats up with the Spirit Squad announcement. Is that still happening today?

Posted by: Charlie Tuna | September 8, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, who cares about the Spirit Squad. Most of us didn't want them anyway. Just have to ignore them, but if they start blocking my view, I'm going to get ticked

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | September 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@IrresistibleForce
You are right. I'm sorry. I should be happy to contemplate my navel rather than looking at a pretty girl between stoppages in plays.

And heaven forbid one of the pretty girls gives me a tshirt.

The horror.

Posted by: Charlie Tuna | September 8, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Coach Bruce Boudreau and GM George McPhee are hoping that Alzner will be able to handle top-4 minutes in Washington right away"

Any insight, or link, confirming this line would be much appreciated.

Posted by: Ben | September 8, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I am really interested to see how Alzner does. Also interested to see how Nyls does now that he'll be back, and of course Clark.

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | September 8, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm supposed to be getting an XBOX 360 in the mail sometime soon. I'll let you guys know my Live stuff whenever I get it set up.

Posted by: Jordan | September 8, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think it was in one of Tarik's posts last week.

Posted by: @ Ben | September 8, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Nylander was skating at rockville for about 3 hours today...Looked great

Posted by: Boomer | September 8, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I would be all over a luxury suite/spirit squad package.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Wise word to The Spirit Squad - Do not get between the fan's eye and the play or you will get booed no matter how hot you think you are. Remember, the best you'll ever be is a side attraction. Maybe during the intermissions the Caps can have a game show of "What Is Your Hockey IQ" with the Spirit Squad. Questions like - What is the shape of a puck? How many teams are in the NHL? What minor league teams are the Caps affiliated with? Spell the word "affiliate"? Use the words "peanut butter" and "top shelve" in the same sentence.

Posted by: Get a Clue | September 8, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah and for "Cassi". The cheerleaders, oh excuse me; I mean the Spirit Squad will be answering the questions not asking them.

Posted by: Get a Clue | September 8, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Are you serious people?

I love the fact that we are getting a Spirit Squad. I am sure they are not going to be jumping up and down right in front of you while play is going on. The Verizon Center doesn't allow people to return to their seats during play, why have a hot 20 something jumping up and down. Makes no sense.

Lets keep an open mind about this. As long as they understand that hockey fans are a little more intense than what they are probably used to then I think we are all good.

I for one would like to congradulate them and be the first to invite them to Summers for away games to learn more about the game.

Posted by: The One and Only #94 | September 8, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@ 94

Get that swagger on!!!

Posted by: Super | September 8, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@94 Sorry you don't have a gf or wife. BTW - Spirit Squad can not fraternize with the fans.

And the word is "congratulate". See the Spirit Squad thing is rubbing off on you!

Posted by: Get a Clue | September 8, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I feel dirty after reading all these comments...like I need to take a shower. It cracks me up to know that all these blog dorks are sporting wood over an as-yet-unseen "Spirit Squad."

Good luck, fellas.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, random thank you:

For never publishing the "continue to read" link for a 3 paragraph blog post. Certain other sports bloggers on wapo.com are in the habit of this and it's infuriating. So, in other words, I like your style and I have nothing else to talk about.

Posted by: Ben | September 8, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm

Sorry I don't have a GF or wife....I am not...And I doubt that the Spirit Squad code of ethics says, thou shalt not co mingle with Caps fans. I live in Clarendon, I am sure I will see them out.

And I have seen the Spirit Squad girls trying out and they are all beautiful.

And just because one rights on blog, does not mean that he/she is a toolbox. Actually on the contrary, most of the people that attended the Washington Post Viewing Parties were pretty legit kids. Its not like this is a Dungeon and Dragon hint site.

Posted by: #94 | September 8, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Since everybody is hitting at MY kids, here is something about somebody elses kids:

Nylander has 2 sons that play youth hockey locally, they are usually THE best player or certainly top 3 on any team they play for. THIS season however, they are NOT ROSTERED on any team as of yet. Local youth hockey parents will tell you that teams were picked back in May and have been playing league games already for a couple of weeks.

Suspicious? Insiders say that it is just "because they are still in Sweden". I'm not buying it, though. Missing school AND league games is a big deal and those that know about this stuff will tell you that I (Sarah Palin) am right to be suspicious about a trade involving Nylander.

Posted by: Sarah Palin | September 8, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero guy is featured in NHL 09!!!

When Ovechkin scores, they show Sombrero guy on the stands.

hehehe not really, but you'd better check it out, could be true...

Posted by: King | September 8, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Most ill informed sports fans ever live in the Washington area.

Take a clue from other teams. Find out what their 'spirit squads' do. Use some common sense and see that they are not going to be doing anything DURING game play. Every arena I have been to, they do giveaways during stoppages, commercials, and intermissions. If they are in the stands during gameplay, they will sit on the stairs or in an inconspicuous place until they are ready to do their thing.

And for any self righteous male sports fan who would object to gorgeous females being around them in any form during a sporting event, you are probably in the closet.

Oh, and as far as them fraternizing with the fans..well, take it from me, they can, do, and will.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I am telling you right now, Nylander was skating at rockville today with his youngest son. He has a no trade clause and i really don't see him waiving that.

Posted by: BOOMER | September 8, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Then he should now have every reason to place his boys on a team. We will see if he does. If they miss another week of league games, then he will be traded. Make no mistake, his sons are VERY good players and everybody wants to know where they are and why they are not playing. No trade does NOT mean no trade, it just means he has to AGREE to a trade. Which he will.

Posted by: SP | September 8, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@King

haha regardless of whether there is a digital version of me, or the other mysterious impostor that Ted mentioned on his blog last month, I will definitely be getting NHL 09. The new online play features are going to be awesome.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 8, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Where's my ice girls announcement!?!?!

Posted by: I need my girls | September 8, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

So, the Puck Bunnies can't fraternize with fans?

Does that mean they can only date people who don't like hockey? If you know what icing is, you can't go out with them?

Posted by: pretty strict rules | September 8, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Shoot me now ...

Posted by: Boo! | September 8, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

haha. woot pads!

Posted by: jim* | September 8, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Sarah on this. Nyls house on the market, kids not on their clubs, not skating with the guys at Kettler and numerous rumors of the hockey blogs.

Hope the quiet rumors aren't true. I'll have to have a conversation with GMGM on this. Hope to he remains in a Caps so when I become the Prez and Sarah the VP, we can watch him skate in the Washington sweater. Ted's already given us the invite.

Posted by: I Work For You | September 8, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone here is still interested in Hockey, tsn.ca is doing "30 teams in 30 days":

"From now through the start of the NHL season on Oct. 4, TSN.ca presents ‘30 Teams In 30 Days,' a quick glimpse at each NHL club as the 2008-09 campaign approaches. Get the lowdown on every lineup, storylines to follow and Scott Cullen's fantasy analysis."

Posted by: Boo! | September 8, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Well I did have to coach against Nylander's son in squirts last season and he was a good little player. GMGM's son was on the team as well. I do find it funny if they were not on a roster, but then again it doesn't look like Montgomery has updated their rosters from last season as both thoes kids are still on the Squirt AA roster

Posted by: Mike | September 8, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Good points in this article. I often wonder how people can afford to go to so many games. I just can't afford it. I wish i could, but I can't.

Posted by: oo7 | September 8, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT

We are still missing...

Fullright
Whitermage
CapCornDog
ontheverg

If these players do not get me their emails by COB Thursday, I will put in place the standby orders.

Keef
FFS Enough
Pat

are waiting to hop on board.

I have the league split into 2 7 team divisions. I too would like a Sunday afternoon/evening draft either on Sept 20th/27th or Oct 5th?

It is a live draft. Location TBD.

Posted by: JSchon | September 8, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Both his kids are playing team maryland

Posted by: BOOMER | September 9, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

His house is on the market because his agent found a house in G-town that they had wanted while HUet was house looking.

Posted by: Boomer | September 9, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Tuesday Morning and still no Ice Girls.

Tarik, What is going on?

We need info!

Posted by: Girl Watcher | September 9, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

No they are not rostered on TM. TM plays in the AYHL league and they are NOT rostered in the AYHL and cannot play until they are on the OFFICIAL roster, which they are NOT, check the AYHL website. Insiders say that it's just becuase the paperwork was not sent in, but others believe it's because to get a roster spot, you have to pay thousands of dollars up front and why would you do that if you knew you might be leaving town?

Posted by: SP | September 9, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Horny dorks...people stalking Nylander's kids and tracking his real estate...Capitals Insider's comments section has sunk to an all-time low.

Thank God it's almost October.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to stalk the Ice Girls "Real Estate". wink wink

Posted by: Girl Watcher | September 9, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Add to commentary, refute commentary or move to another subject yourself (what IS a Horny Dory, anyway?). These comments are not at all out of bounds. Hundreds of people know this stuff already, it's nothing personal at all, we just think that Nylander is to be traded, based on some unusual items that are facts, not speculation. Now, the facts are not in question, the house, the kids and him not with the team are facts, what they mean, if anything is the subject of speculation.

Hence the blog, knucklehead.

Posted by: SP | September 9, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

On the other hand, the fact that almost no one is willing to speculate on the possible trade of a first-line player shows how lame this blog is anyway. Imagine if this were Toronto or Philly?

Posted by: SP | September 9, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Chief?
Mauree?
Anybody?

Posted by: SP | September 9, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Well when the "evidence" of a potential trade is a house on the market or the offspring's youth hockey roster, it's hard to get too worked up. People buy and sell homes in the same area all the time.

If there are any hockey-related whispers, such as rumors of other team's talking to GMGM about Nylander, perhaps a few more people would be willing to "speculate." Until then let's just focus on the facts.

Posted by: no trade clause | September 9, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

OK

Posted by: OK | September 9, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

For all we know, Nylander's kids caught Olympic fever and are taking up swimming. Or maybe they're not interested in dominanting MD youth leagues anymore and switched into a VA league. Who knows.

Posted by: tallbear | September 9, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Nylander doesn't want his kids to see the Ice Girls and wants to be traded to a non-ice girls team.

Posted by: Nylander Trade | September 9, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Now we're cookin'!

Keep up the good work, fellahs!

Posted by: SP | September 9, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

We officially welcome all players, especially the good ones...

Posted by: VA Leagues | September 9, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the Nylanders need a new house because Nicky is becoming a man and it saddens then to see his old room deserted.

What does Backstrom's new hair look like? I would go to the rink today, but I'm too loopy on pain medicine for the teeth I almost lost over the weekend.

Posted by: Jordan | September 9, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

You conspiracy theorists are funny. Alex Nylander is going to be at practice tonight with the rest of the Team Maryland '97 class (even though he's a '98).

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | September 9, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Why speculate on a Nyls trade when he isn't going anywhere?

Posted by: Steve R | September 9, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

You are right... let's speculate on the ice girls....

Hot or Homely?

Posted by: Girl Watcher | September 9, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

WaPo Caps Circus update:

We now have fullright under control, leaving 3 out of the original 14 yet to post and with the cut off date at Thursday @ 5pm, things are getting interesting in this blog.

As for my opinion on other topics...

I hope Nylander stays until the trade deadline at least. We as good a shot as anybody in the East and Nylander is + player. If we develop another forward during the season and need defensive help then I wouldnt mind shipping Nylander off for a blueliner and thats if he accepts a trade.

Spirit squad? Who cares... If Ted thinks it will help his bottomline, I'm all for it.

Backstrom will make the all-star team this year, my bold prediction and finish the season better than a point a game.

I love lamp.

Whitermage
CapCornDog
ontheverg

Keef
FFS Enough
Pat

are waiting to hop on board.

It is a live draft. Location TBD.

I'm going to Kettler Friday... anyone want to join me as I blog about myself?

Posted by: JSchon | September 9, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Not to mention but Nylander brought his friend from Sweden to coach Team Maryland

Posted by: yelle | September 9, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

at least one of Nylander's kids are on the roster for Team MD

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 9, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I might be at Kettler on Friday as well.

As for the Nylander situation, I think we're a stronger team with him than without. That being said, if we have a strong Winger at Hershey ready to move up, we could put Laich on the third line C. Nylander would have to waive his NTC but as it has been speculated, if he ends up on the third line and isn't happy about it, who knows what will happen.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 9, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I hear they are setting up private booths with the pro-ho's, i mean spirit squad at the verizon center with an ATM right next to it.

Posted by: MNMNT | September 9, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm a fan of Nylander, all you guys wanting to trade him are stupid.

Posted by: MNMNT | September 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I am a fan of Nylander as well. The thing about this team is that the top 3 lines should all be getting big ice time this season. Whoever centers the 3rd (Nylander, Fedorov) will be getting lots of PP time as well.

I hope that line 1 is getting about 20 minutes a game while lines 2 and 3 are getting closer to 18, and just a handful of minutes to the 4th line. The exception there is Steckel (assuming HE gets to center the 4th line) who will get lots of PK time too.

OK, hockey can't start soon enough.

Posted by: Jeff | September 9, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero Guy:

Finally! Another fact that we can use to speculate!

I now speculate Nyls will NOT be traded. This was all a ruse to throw us off the REAL trade - somebody for somebody else. News at 11.

Posted by: SP | September 9, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@MNMNT:

Disgusting! What, are they going to charge guys to shoot t-shirts at their beer-guts? Or put on an Ovie mask and do lap dances?

Posted by: SP | September 9, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Pro-hos will do anything. Just say you're a goalie in Hersey and see what they do.

Posted by: MNMNT | September 9, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

What's the difference between playing on the 4th line and being a healthy scratch on the Caps?

You get to watch the game up close and collect splitters on your ass being on the 4th line.

Bottom line, if you play 4th line you'll be lucky to get 2 shifts a game this year.

Posted by: I Work For You | September 9, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear 1/2 the team is already here and practicing. Guung ho is always good!.

With regards to the Spirit squad. Not that I'm a staunch ERA person however I sure do hope that the squad has some hunky guys. Girls don't do it for this hetrosexual female:).

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse