Alex Ovechkin misses out on third straight MVP

Vancouver's Henrik Sedin just edged Alex Ovechkin to win the Hart Trophy for the NHL's most valuable player, receiving 46 first-place votes to Ovechkin's 40. Sidney Crosby came in third with 20 votes.

Sedin posted a career-high 112 points, which also earned him the Art Ross Trophy as the league's top scorer.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 23, 2010; 9:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green second in voting for Norris Trophy
Next: Video: Alex Ovechkin wins Lindsay Award

Comments

I'm just glad Crosby didn't get the Hart.

Statistically, Sedin was the most deserving. At least they'll stop talking about the East Coast bias with Sedin's award.

Unfortunately, the missed games (injuries and suspensions) cost Ovi the points he needed or he would have gotten the Hart. (I don't think he was quite the same since the second suspension.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 23, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised Sedin got the Hart - personally, I don't think Ovie or Crosby should have been candidates. Bryzgalov and Miller were both more deserving. I do find it amusing that Crosby was so far behind in the voting.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 23, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Agreed - I am perfectly fine with Sedin winning it. In fact, I expected that. Anyone but Cindy is how I see it. I was very happy that Ovie won the Lindsay, though. While the Hart historically is the "better" award, I would personally prefer to win the award voted on by the players rather than the writers (nothing personal Tarik, though I know WaPo doesn't let you vote).

Posted by: alpca3877 | June 23, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I honestly think if the Campbell incident doesn't happen on national TV (or doesn't happen at all) Ovie wins the Hart again. Probably cost him just enough votes.

Posted by: McBride33 | June 23, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Chris Bourque has signed a two year contract with the moscow-based KHL-team named "Mytishinskiy Atlanta" or something like that.

Posted by: Walle | June 23, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

@alpca3877

Agree about how the Lindsay probably is more meaningful seeing as it comes from the players. I am giddy with joy over the fact that crysby only got 20 1st place votes.

Posted by: capscoach | June 23, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

the link for anyone who speaks russian (or knows how to use google translate)

Posted by: Walle | June 23, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Walle, word I am hearing from Hershey is that Bourque said he is talking with them, but hasn't signed.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 23, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@ timmyv38

It seems to be the official website of the team (the link in my previous post), and they claim he accepted the deal today. But i guess i could be mistaken.

Posted by: Walle | June 23, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

So the salary cap is now officially at $59.4M. A little more than most anticipated. So the Caps do have a little room to maneuver.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 23, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Walle - that article I posted was an interview in reply to the article the team posted. Apparently, the KHL team is saying Bourque signed when he didn't - that's what Bourque says at least. What you're saying is right in that the KHL team said that, but Bourque said otherwise afterwards.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 23, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

sgm3, that's about $.6M more than what had been guessed, correct? If so - that could have a fairly large impact.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 23, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I see! Thanks for pointing that out, guess we just have to wait and see what happens then.

with 59,4 mill to work with, I could armchair-GM the he!! out of the Caps team for next season :)

Posted by: Walle | June 23, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Sedin deserved it. I hope that by not winning that OV might "settle down" and set his sights on the Cup, and not awards. I am NOT saying that OV plays for himself, just that a "knock down a notch" might put things in a different perspective.

Posted by: dezlboy1 | June 23, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Ovie will keep doing what he has been, which is what he should do - playing the best that he can. That is why he gets so many awards, it's why he is recognized as the best, and it's a large part of why the Caps have been successful. If you look at this last playoffs, it wasn't Ovie's play that cost the Caps - he had 5 goals and 5 assists. The 2nd line was the main culprit, due to not having a good center.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 23, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

My Russian's a bit rusty but I would translate the text as:

Today the American winger Chris
Bourque (in the photo in the center) accepted the offer from "Atlant" and put his signature on a contract with our club. The duration of the contract is two years.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | June 23, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Sedin deserved to win, as much as I love Ovie. But hey LOVE seeing him that far ahead in the voting above Crosby. The voting made sense. Sedin won the points award and was a big reason why his team had a great season. Ovie was also a great reason the Caps succeeded, and he probably would have won the points if not for injury and suspension. But injury and suspension are part of the game. Sedin probably did more with less too, as an added bonus. Great season for all, but the right man won the award tonight.

Posted by: mcgratsp | June 23, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Suspensions and winning w/o Ovie hurt his chances. Sedin was clearly the MVP w/o him who knows where Vancouver winds up.

Posted by: Shiba-fussa | June 24, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I am fine with Sedin winning the MVP, but think too much is put into "most points" and those 10 games Ovie missed. Obviously the writers see it their way and called this one close. In my opinion, Ovie's other dimensions will continue to keep him in the running even in the odd years he doesn't win the Hart... his hits, his passion, his leadership, etc... I think that's why the players have voted him their MVP three years in a row.

Posted by: gonchpup | June 24, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Bourque - great news for him (and what a laugh - the AHL is the 2nd best league in the world??) if the NHL is hard to get into at least he'll have a helluva life experience and maybe something he picks up there will allow him to make the leap.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | June 24, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

What's with the negativity in the headline? There are two MVP awards in the NHL - one voted on by the media and one voted on by the players. Ovechkin won the one voted on by the players for the third consecutive year. That's an accomplishment. To read the headline you'd think he didn't win anything at all last night, much less won the MVP award voted on by the NHLPA.

Posted by: MikeF703 | June 24, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Can't win 'em all, Ovie. Gotta agree that the Campbell hit (which was total BS) probably cost him votes.

Eh, ABC (Anyone But Crosby)!!

Posted by: Siikonen-FIN- | June 25, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

HE was the best player on the best team ..Mike Green is the one who got SCREWED..too many Gieco ads i guess..

Posted by: heathdog1119 | June 25, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse