Alex Ovechkin on getting ejected vs. Chicago

After the Caps' come-from-behind, 4-3 overtime win against the Blackhawks, captain Alex Ovechkin talked about getting ejected after receiving a game misconduct for boarding Brian Campbell.

"I didn't hit him hard," Ovechkin said of Campbell, who did not return to the game. "He fell bad. But you can see, every shift this happens -- little pushes, little battles."

One reporter asked if, as Chicago's Jonathan Toews suggested, players need to start respecting each other more. "I respect everybody," Ovechkin said. "We respect everybody here in the locker room and outside, but over there [on the ice], we play for our team, and we make some hard hits, and sometimes, you get hurt. That's a hockey game."

Unsurprisingly, Coach Bruce Boudreau had similar thoughts. "I didn't think it was a bad, bad check worth a five and a game [misconduct]," he said. "A two at the most, but I don't make the calls."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 14, 2010; 4:25 PM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin tossed from game vs. Blackhawks
Next: After Ovechkin gets tossed, Caps battle back

Comments

That video sucks to watch.

This video is much better;

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

It's really funny to read the posts from the sky is falling Caps fans. The broadcast crew and most of you said the Hawks controlled the 1st 40 minutes. Sorry the Caps outshot the Hawks by 1 in the second and were withing 2 shots overall after the 2nd even though though they were down 5 on 3, which included the 5 minute major.

Niemi looked behind himself 3 times in the last couple of minutes of the 2nd. You could feel the game beginning to swing in the Caps favor. Outshot the Hawks and their really really really really good defense 11-1 in the 3rd.
IMO the Hawks have bigger fish to fry as the playoffs approach than the Caps. They blew a game against the Red Wings, at home, after having a 2-0 by giving up 5 goals in the 2nd period. They blew a 2-1 lead against the Flyers yesterday by giving up 2 goals in the last 2:07 of the game. Now they blew a 3 goal lead and were lucky to even get to OT because the Caps OWNED them in the 3rd.

Good win Caps. Backstrom was a beast, and they proved again that they are far from a one man show.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 14, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Caps had their chances all game.

"They couldn't buy a goal" for the first 2 periods though. Belanger's crossbar, Knuble's two great chances, Flash great chance, etc

Backstrom is the best Swede in the NHL. Yeah, I said it.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I won't defend Ovechkin's hit but all I can say about is it was unnecessary. But if my memory serves me correct, didn't Craig Adams (?) from the Penguins lay an almost similar hit on Ovechkin in the 5-4 OT win?? Maybe someone can dig up that video.

All the people were complaining on the radio it was a hit from behind. All I can say is Koci's hit on Green was way worse than this one by Ovie. And why do these things always happen before we play the Panthers? Campbell's son's team always lucks out b/c they don't have to face Ovechkin. Ovie hasn't played one game against the Panthers this year. Very odd.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

What is your overall attitude toward Ovechkin as a player?

Does your issue with him extend beyond the occasional reckless play or is that pretty much it?

I'm asking this with the sole intent of a friendly discussion this time. ;)

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I hate that this "hit" is going to further intensify the "Ovie is a dirty player" reputation because he doesn't deserve it. Yes he's now been involved in 3 questionable misconducts this season, but I am convinced it is because of his hard play and the speed of the game more than being a "dirty player".

From what I heard, Ovie will be given a mandatory one game suspension for this "boarding" call, but I hope he doesn't change his game. I also hope the media comes to his defense to deflect these "dirty player" comments, much like the NBC crew did today, because again he doesn't deserve it. Shart happens, especially with the speed and intensity of the game.

Posted by: RickyBobby | March 14, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

A few thoughts:

1)For those of you bashing Semin, I disagree wholeheartedly. I think he was one of the Caps best two way forwards today.

2)The Bullets didn't originate the fat lady slogan but they were without question the reason it became a national phenomenon. Motta quoted another and it sprang to life.

3)I think the Ovi call should not have been a major but please people there is no conspiracy against us. The NHL officiating is subjective and with that comes inconsistency.

4)Am I the only one who thinks Backstrom just took his star up to a different level. That overtime sequence was as spectacilar as any you will ever see. He put the team on his back in overtime as if to say without Ovi it's up to me.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 14, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I feel dirty for agreeing with Mike Milbury on anything, but I don't even feel that should have been a penalty. As a transplanted Long Islander agreeing with Milbury hurts.

Posted by: lornemyoung | March 14, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

okay okay okay richmondphil, so I give up hope quickly. But seriously, they pulled this one out of the hat. They seemed so down and out... but with this team all it takes is that ONE goal and then they're pretty much unstoppable. But no one saw this coming, not even Chicago. But I almost had a little heart attack there when Nicky (the most defensively responsible forward we have) turned the puck over and almost cost us the game, then goes the length of the ice and puts it in, unassisted! Pretty amazing.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock

If you're mocking the Hawks' defense, what do you think about our's?

They are among the league leaders in every defensive category. I'm guessing you haven't watched them play much this season.

They have a really, really, really good defense compared to the rest of the league. They have managed to be one of the best defensive teams in the league with sketchy goaltending.

I'm ecstatic that we won but I still believe they are a more balanced hockey team.

They were also without Hossa and Campbell and played yesterday in another city.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@Rachel ovie played in the January 29th home win against the panthers.

Posted by: RussianMachineNeverBreaks | March 14, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | March 14, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

What is your overall attitude toward Ovechkin as a player?

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 4:41 PM |

Not sure what you mean. I have no problem with Ovechkin. He plays reckless, he used to play a bit dirty sometimes. (He used to leave his feet for hits sometimes.) I like that in a player, but it costs the team sometimes.

Do I display some sort of bias towards Ovechkin? I don't think I do. I would hope I call out the players for their dumb plays as equally.

Very funny posts today. Richmondphil was doom and gloom and seemed to have bad things to say about many posts that are people's opinions. Take it easy the Caps won. I am tired of reading all of the personal attacks. GO CAPS

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | March 14, 2010 4:37 PM |

I was hardly the doom and gloomer. I gave up on this one regular season game, yes. As did rachel, as did CapsFan75, as did many other legitimate posters here who frequently give up on games, at least far more than I do. It's the first time I've done it all year. As for attacking "many posts" from people, would you care to direct them to me? Besides joek443, who did I attack personally?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

okay okay okay richmondphil, so I give up hope quickly.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 4:47 PM |

Hey, it's all good. I gave up on this one too. After Ovi's miscoduct, I felt the team would get deflated. I'll happily eat crow if it means the Caps win.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

@Rachel ovie played in the January 29th home win against the panthers.

Posted by: RussianMachineNeverBreaks

Okay gotcha. Thanks. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

As a transplanted Long Islander agreeing with Milbury hurts.

Posted by: lornemyoung | March 14, 2010 4:45 PM |

Hahahahaha.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN.com:

"The knee [suspension from Dec. 1] does not apply as he was suspended for that," NHL head disciplinarian Colin Campbell said. "If you get two boarding game-misconduct penalties, you get an automatic suspension if 41 games have not lapsed. In [Ovechkin's] case, 41 games have lapsed since his last boarding [game misconduct], so he is not suspended automatically."

The NHL will review the incident, though, and Ovechkin is still subject to supplemental discipline.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | March 14, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I may not have posted as much but I was just hoping not to get embarrassed any further when it was 3-0. I didn't even think we'd get back to within a goal.

@richmondphil

I was just trying to understand your full take on Ovechkin. I was wondering if your issues with him extended beyond the occasional reckless play.

Do you like him as a player, in general?

Are you glad he's a Cap or would you theoretically be OK with us trading him (even though that obviously won't happen)?

I respect your thoughts on the team and am just trying to better understand your opinions about one of our key players.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the Craig Adams hit on Ovechkin. It is almost a carbon copy of today but Ovechkin was closer to the boards and in more immediate danger. If Adams didn't get suspended then neither should Ovechkin.

Here it is. Judge for yourself.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 14, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

BTW, how was the hit on Semin near the end of the 3rd any different than the hit on Campbell. Actually, I will tell you how it was different, the hit on Semin was from behind. It basically happened in the same exact area of the rink but no one said a thing. As a matter of fact the Chicago crowd roars whenever a big hit is delivered. The hit on Semin was not a clean one so they really didn't make much of a sound. Those of you that still have the game on your DVR go back and take a look at it. Semin attempted to play the puck from his knees right after.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 14, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I love him as a player. Best power forward in the game. 15 pts in games against the Pens last year in the playoffs. What more could you ask more? Not only his strength and speed, but his hands are as smooth as any dangler, minus a few, and he's just overall, the complete package.

I hate his cap hit, but what do you expect when he's putting up the goals and hits like he does. I would be theoretically fine with trading him though, as long as the return are more core players. But, we all know he isn't going anywhere, and this idea is hard to even theoretically think about. Ovechkin is a unique player.

Subjectively, he isn't my favorite Capital. Historically, I tend to shy away from the overtly popular/famous guy in the group, hence my strong sentimental attachments to Semin and Backstrom. Especially Backstrom. I love him. I would marry him.
That has nothing to do with him as a player though.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

what some of you fail to realize is that the same characteristic that makes Ovie great is also what causes him to be "reckless" and sometimes results in a hit like that...

it's easy for us to say he should stop doing that but it's much easier said than done... you hear the phrase "Manny being Manny" in baseball, well this is Ovie being Ovie... I can be as critical of him as anyone but in this case I don't think he has anything to apologize for

Posted by: joek443 | March 14, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Is it over yet? Who won?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 14, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil:

I'd much rather trade Green than Ovie. Green's got a pretty big cap number also and he doesn't score nearly as much as Ovie. And for a D man, he's not particularly good defensively.

Just a thought if you're trading based on cap numbers.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | March 14, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree joek443. Except Manny Ramirez is a big jerk. But I love the way Ovechkin plays. Sometimes I do wish he would lay off some of those unnecesary hits and pick his spots better but that's the way he plays. No one can change that. He only has one speed, and that's really really fast. It's amazing watching him hit 3 guys in one shift or hit one guy three times, like Boychuk!!! You're 100% correct, Ovechkin doesn't have anything to apologize for.

richmondphil: I would also marry Nicky. I love him more and more everyday. He's amazing. Give him his money.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

OV gets suspended just long enough to miss the Pens game -- how's that for a conspiracy?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | March 14, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I would trade Semin before Green or Ovie... but why are we having this conversation? This is crazy talk. Ovie will be a Cap forever.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

that was an awesome game--#2 of the year behind Super Bowl Sunday v. Pens

The 5 min. gamer on Ovie was reputational. He's hard hitting, but clearly not a dirty player. Anyone who says he is is an obviously biased fan of another team (not that I am biased of course :)

Posted by: thebone | March 14, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

BTW, OV say this, "I thought it was a clean hit, and Brain went down awkwardly. I never meant to injure him and I hope that he is ok, not hurt, for his own sake."

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | March 14, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

This is my last post about the Hawks and I'll give you the last word on it (since it's obvious that you keep subtly referenceing my comments):

I've watched the Blackhawks play a lot this season and have seen with my own eyes just how good of a team they are but even if you just want to look at stasistics to avoid the subjective...

Even after today's game, the Hawks are 5th in GA/A but the difference between 2nd and 5th is marginal. It could change after the next set of games. They've been in the top 2 or 3 in this stat for a large portion of the season.

Their PK is 5th best in the league.

They lead the league by a ridiculous margin in shots allowed per game. They just don't give up many shots and scoring chances compared to every other team.

And they've accomplished all of this in front of a couple of very shaky goaltenders. Imagine if they even had a pretty good goalie. Their two goalies do have sparkling GAAs but that is largely because of the great team and great defense in front of them that gives opposing teams so few scoring chances. They both have poor save percentages, which are more reflective of their true abilites.

All in all, how could anybody say the Hawks aren't a really good defensive team?

You can pinpoint a few bad games from every team and make any kind of argument. Looking at the entire body of work this season is obviously a more meaninful approach.

They are also near the top in just about every offensive category (4th in goals per game, 1st in shots on goal per game, 7th in PP, 4th in 5-on-5 play, etc...).

I just don't know how anybody could question that the Hawks are a really, really good team with a really, really good defense.

The Caps are also a really, really good team with a really, really, really good offense. Unfortunately, we have a subpar defense.

I'd rather sacrifice some of that offense for an elite defense, especially in the playoffs where defense is at a premium. I don't care how much better our offense is than the next best team, I'd prefer to have the balance of the Hawks (elite both offensively and defensively) than have the best offense in the league and a subpar defense with the 5th worst PK.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

USA Hockey is pretty black-and-white - any hit from behind, where the player is thrown into the boards, especially in a vulnerable position - is an automatic game.

Those are the facts - not a lot of gray area in there.

Posted by: govtimbo | March 14, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

basketballguy: I watch the Hawks A LOT. I have NHL Center Ice and I was born in Rolling Meadows, IL. I believe their defense IS better than ours to answer your questions. Ours is getting better. We used to have to play with Sloan and Erskine, or Sloan or Erskine for much of the season. Now we don't. They have only played once and the Caps outshot them and at least today, the Caps defense looked pretty good. I just watched the Hawks blow a 2-1 lead yesterday.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 14, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

croftonpost: The adams hit on Ovi is interesting because of the explanation as much as for the hit. The officials apparently explain to the coach, captain, & victim why it was a legal hit. So the officials seem to have told Ovechkin that was OK, so why shouldn't he perform a similar hit?

Posted by: uncatim | March 14, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

The NHL Network has the Penguins/Capitals game next week. No way the NHL suspends Ovi long enough for him to miss that game. They would not want to trash their ratings that night. Without Ovi they don't get killer numbers for that game. If he gets suspended then 3 will be the max.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 14, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

That has nothing to do with him as a player though.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 5:08 PM

Awesome. I see where you're coming from.

Backstrom is my favorite player, too. Ovechkin is a close second if not right there with Backstrom.

My father's favorite player when he started taking me to games was Bengt Gustafsson so I think that plays into why I like Backstrom's game so much. Backstrom is more talented than Gustafsson but they both have that silent but deadly aspect to their games.

I don't mind Ovechkin's cap hit since it's on par with other top players but it would be nice if we backloaded it like so many other GMs have done recently.

I can't even fathom trading him. Imagine the Caps having to play against him several times a year if he was on another Eastern Conference team. No thanks!

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Especially Backstrom. I love him. I would marry him.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 5:08 PM

richmondphil - is your fiancé on board with this?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 14, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

lol @ basketballguy

It's just an e-mail address. I moved to Texas in 2002 and got into the Houston Rockets (never got that much into the Bullets as a kid) but lived in the D.C. area my entire life before that. Maryland native Steve Francis was playing for the Rockets at the time so that helped me get into them. I am also a Terps fans.

I've been following the Caps for almsot 30 years. The first live sporting event I ever attended was a Caps game back in '81 or '82. My father worked for the Census Bureau and was going to games from the time the team was founded until he passed away. He and a few of his co-workers had season tickets for about 25 years and would share the cost for a pair of great seats about 20 rows up right on the center line.

You may want to avoid making assumptions like you did in that other thread based on "out-of-state handles." Maybe most or all of those posters are like me and just happened to have relocated away from D.C.

Either way, yea the Hawks have blown some leads recently and it was awesome to see the Caps rally today. We can agree on those two points.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Especially Backstrom. I love him. I would marry him.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 5:08 PM

richmondphil - is your fiancé on board with this?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Shhhh!! We don't want to get richmondphil in trouble. (That he wants to marry Nicky instead of his fiance.) =)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Would you ever change the name tmac2yao? (Considering McGrady no longer plays in Houston with Yao?)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

It would have been nice if our Captain had taken responsibility for his hit instead of making excuses.Whether he meant it or not doesn't matter.I won't call it reckless because that is a way of almost letting him off the hook.It was dirty and he needs to have more respect for his fellow players in the league.
I'm glad he's on our team but I call it as I see it.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

@markfromparkville, you were put in the Doofus Brigade last year for being a troll. You claim to be a "fan,
but your the same fan who has trolled here over an over from time to time saying "Ovi can't win the big one" and "Ovi is a dirty player," etc., etc.

Classic troll strategy to call yourself a fan of the team. You show up again for the first time in ages the day Ovi gets a Game Mis.

You're transparent dude. Go back to the Pens Blog.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 14, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, I will admit that I am probably a bit more harsh on Ovechkin. His expectations are high though, and so far he has delivered. I didn't think anyone was going to hit 60 goals again, and he shattered it at 65.
Now it's time to start bringing in the big trophies, ala the Cup, and Conn Smythe.

About the theoretically trading Ovechkin comment, I would theoretically trade anyone, including the players who I have a sentimental attachment to. It all depends on what the return is. But again, speaking of trading Ovechkin is just silly. He is a Capital for life, minus maybe a year or two at the end there, and I really couldn't think about it any other way. To a non-hockey person, Capitals is Ovechkin.

As far as my fiance is concerned, she would marry Backstrom too. Hell, I'd be pushing for it! Kidding, kidding...

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

Naw, I don't see any need to change it. I barely even use that account anymore. I mostly use it for random things like creating accounts on sports blogs.

Plus, I never figured that a handle on Capitals Insider would get scrutinized this much. hahahahaha!

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

markfromparkville: Just curious but did Matt Cooke take responsibility for his hit? Did Mike Richards for his on Booth? I don't remember if those guys did. I mean what do you want Ovechkin to say? Would it make a difference?

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 5:41 PM |

This too. It's something we all probably take for granted; The Capitals may have to play against Parise and Kovalchuk, Alfreddson and Spezza, Vinny and St. Louis, or the dreaded Malkin and Crosby...but they'll never have to worry about having to play Ovechkin.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov should be the #1 goalie...in Hershey.

Posted by: markfromparkville | February 10, 2010 3:12 PM | Report

If we don't pull this series out the rumblings that Ovechkin can't win the big one will start. And I do believe they will be warranted.

Posted by: markfromparkville | April 24, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of how the series turns out- Ovechkin,Semin,Green,and Backstrom need to worry about getting their names on The Cup and not about how many broads they can get back to Greens hot tub.
It's no secret that these 4 are out on the town way too much during the season. With the playoff games being every other night maybe all those late nights are coming back to haunt them.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 9, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Tom in FL- You just proved what a tool you are. Have a nice life BUB.

Posted by: markfromparkville | July 14, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask | March 14, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to marry Backstrom; I'd like to adopt him. But then I am old enough to be his mother.

So if richmondphil marries Backie then I'd be phil's mother-in-law??

Posted by: tess2201 | March 14, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

@markfromparkville

There are about 150 players in the league that need to have more respect for other players then and just about every last one of them would also deflect some responsibility.

There are numerous questionable hits every week in this sports.

When was the last time a player delivering one of those hits came out and said, "I was totally wrong. I need to have more respect for other players" or anything to that effect?

It rarely, if ever, happens that way. They almost always give some kind of canned response where they try to make it look like an accident, whether it was intentional or not.

Did you hear Cooke's explanation for his hit on Savard?

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

i thought Fehr looked good today. He has a habit of making big shots in big games.

Posted by: BACKS | March 14, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

So if richmondphil marries Backie then I'd be phil's mother-in-law??

Posted by: tess2201 | March 14, 2010 6:21 PM |

Since you always provide us with great Hershey information, I will affectionately refer to you as Momma Bear.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Rachel-I just thought he should have said "my bad". "I hit the guy from behind too close to the boards.I'm sorry." I have no idea what those other players said about their hits.
@sonyask- I have concerns about Ovi and this team going far in the playoffs.Playoff games are generally lower scoring and played close to the vest.I'm not sure if WE are built for that.Just being realistic.
As for the Doofus brigade.I have no idea even what that is. I apologize for not coming on more often but I have a life and I don't spend my life in front of a computer in my moms basement.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Should Ovi lose some weight? He's like a bull in a China shop and his hits are more likely to hurt.

Maybe he'd be faster with less weight.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BACKS

Stecks definitely atoned for the first Chicago goal by hustling to wipe out the icing and delivering a pass right on Fehr's stick. That was a great goal by Fehrsie.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I do agree that Ovechkin needs to work on some areas of his game and have criticized him plenty of times.

So, like you, I have no problem criticizing him or any other player.

I just make sure to appreciate the positives as well.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

@sonyask-Dude you just researched my blogs from 2 years ago.Enough said. Get a girlfriend.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

"I have no idea what those other players said about their hits."

Posted by: markfromparkville

Well the point was just made. tmac2yao already made the point, and it's that none of these players will come out and say "that was my fault, sorry, I won't do that again." Maybe they should but the reality is they don't.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

POSTGAME THOUGHTS:
Wow the winds of a comeback blow in the windy city. How was that for a comeback folks.

ON THE POSTERS HERE: I love you all that gave up - then owned up when you shouldn't have given up on your team. At least you admitted it. C'mon people - 3-0 deficit with Ovie gone????? I didn't think they were done. They just needed to refocus and when they did - look what happens. Some of you though that came on to post a negative comment and didn't own up - do the board a favor and stay off. Your meaningless noise isn't wanted. Bye.

OVIE'S HIT: NOT EVEN CLOSE TO A MAJOR OR WORTH A SUSPENSION. I've seen hits like this before. Campbell's skate as was said got caught in a rut. Unfortunately he goes down and look what happens. The officials ruling it a major was an absolute farce and the league shouldn't even have to review this hit. But they will and if they hand anything down - the system is broken BIG TIME. Ovie is spot on. Hits happen - he pushed him - skate got caught - ouchie. It's a hockey game. Get over it. All the idiots and jackasses with their Ovie hater blockers on will still say "oh this should happen or that should happen." NEWSFLASH - IT WON'T HAPPEN.

COMEBACK - FANTASTIC JOB BY THE BOYS FOR COMING out hard in the third and fighting back. Backstrom's extension just got higher haha. This team fought hard and let one of the best team's in the league know that minus their star player - they're just as dangerous if not more.

A GREAT WIN AND SHOW OF RESILIENCY. Time to get out of the cold as the guys come my way to sunny Florida. Time to finish the Panthers on Tuesday.

IT'S BEEN A TWO POINT AFTERNOON.

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS

Posted by: Jonathan6 | March 14, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

All this negativity about the caps from other fans and obviously some canadian media will just make this team stronger

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | March 14, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he'd be faster with less weight.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 6:31 PM

I don't think so.

This team needs as much toughness as it can get out of it's lineup.

If anything, Ovechkin just needs to pick and choose his spots better.

It's a marginal change. We're talking about avoiding a type of play that has probably happened about 5 times in his entire career.

He need not make any drastic changes, mentally or physically. We want him to stay a little bit reckless, in the positive sense. His fearlessness is part of what makes him special. He just needs to get a little smarter in his overall game, not just when it comes to hitting.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

POSTGAME THOUGHTS:
The winds of a comeback blow in the windy city. How about that for a comeback folks?

POSTER THOUGHTS: I love you guys for owning up if you gave up on this team when they were down 3-0 with Ovie gone. For those that didn't own up - posted negativity and disappeared - please stay away. You're not wanted here.

OVIE'S HIT: NOWHERE NEAR A MAJOR PENALTY OR SUSPENSION. The ref made a wrong call. Ovie pushes - skate gets caught - looks far worse than it is. As Ovie said it's a hockey game and he respects other players but don't get in his way if he wants the puck. Campbell was in his way - he cleared him out. Unfortunate the guy's skate got caught.

COMEBACK: The Caps served notice to the second best team in the West what happens and how dangerous they are even if they lose their top scorer. They kept coming. Great job by the boys to refocus and then come hard and fast after Chicago.

BACKSTROM: The extension just got a bit fatter haha. :)

Out of the cold and on to my neck of the woods in sunny Florida. Time to finish the Panthers on Tuesday.

It's been a two point afternoon.

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS

Posted by: Jonathan6 | March 14, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 6:29 PM
-------------------------
Unfortunately the news from Hershey today isn't very great. The Bears got spanked by the Worcester Sharks 6-2. Until the final five minutes of the game it was 6-0 Sharks. Ouch! Shots on goal were pretty even: 33-34 edge to Worcester. Mikey Neuvirth was in goal for the first 5 and Holtby relieved him and gave up one more. Bears goals scored by Bourque and Dubuc.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 14, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

Play that's only happened 5 times in Ovi's career. It seems the frequency of majors has gotten greater for him this year, somehow.

I'm hoping this isn't going to be a trend for future years. 3 major penalties, with being tossed out for each. And an average suspension of 3 games, as a result. Maybe I'm setting the average too high but still....

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

tess2201 : Oh dear. What happen with Neuvy? Yikes..

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

You could tell at the start of the season the extra bulk was throwing him off a bit, but man, it only took a few games to find his game. I'd take the bulk/strength over the little bit of speed he might gain without it. He's already fast, the extra bulk allows him to plow through anything.

His game should be the same, he should just maybe sometimes spend that extra half-second to think about something, rather than just doing it. Gotta love the guys who just do something on instinct, but some of his hits, some of his passes...if he just took that extra mili-second to think his options over again, he'd be the perfect hockey player.

It's striking to see how different Ovi and Backs are, personally and on the ice, yet they gel perfectly together.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Rachel and TMAC- I agree with you guys.I didn't expect him to say anything but the canned response. It would have been nice if he did take the higher road. I don't expect that from any athlete today though.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

So guess Semyon is still our backup goal tender -- by default.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

markfromparkville: Now we're on the same page. I totally see where you're coming from. As nice as it would be if every athlete admitted their wrongdoings, we all know it's not like that. When Lebron James last year stormed off the court and didn't shake anyone's hands, people went crazy over that. He never came out and said he was wrong for that. It'd be a perfect world then.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow suddenly everybody start talking trade OV. Whats that? Some hard hit and so what, he didn't take someones head off. Washington just lucky to have best player. Without him half empty or half full Verizon Center and heartbroken hopeless fanz. NHL wants to downplay OV becuase their golden girl Cindy can't much with him. Sometimes it becomes almost too funny comical way they promoting .
Okay Bring me good news OV
Make me happy with Lord Stanley Cup.:0

Posted by: dugza | March 14, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 6:44 PM

I fully agree with both of these sentiments.

It really is crazy to think how much better Ovechkin can still become. Even if he doesn't change a thing, he's a great player. Every marginal improvement he does make will only make him that much more dangerous.

It's hard to believe that an MVP-caliber player still has so many areas to improve upon.

If he had Brooks Laich's work ethic, it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the league. I can't say for sure that he doesn't have that kind of work ethic but I'm guessing he's getting by mostly on pure talent.

He eats junk food and still doesn't appear to have decided to try to take that next step in his development as a better and smarter player.

The only question is if he decideds to take that next step. Some may not think he's wired to make certain changes but I don't believe that at all. I think there is still a lot of untapped potential.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Jonathan Toews's quotes?? Haha someone's bitter!

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao

hmmm.. Ovie does eat a lot of Verizon Center nachos.. those are good though, can't blame him. Haha

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 6:47 PM

I think that's all we were saying. You just made it sound intially like you were holding Ovechkin to a different standard than every other hockey player. It was as if you were surprised by his response, expecting him to say something that no other player would in the same situation.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Rachel-You seem reasonable so I will pose this to you. I have serious doubts about the Caps in the playoffs. I don't know what it is but they seem to be missing something. I know they need a shut down defenseman but so do about 25 other teams.I'm talking almost a mental toughness I think. Thoughts?
I hate questioning the Caps on here because I'm not here often,and someone is already to jump down the throat of one who has legitimate concerns. Make no mistake if we win the CUP I'll be crying like a baby.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Jonathan Toews's quotes?? Haha someone's bitter!

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 6:59 PM |

Yeah, I didn't like to hear that. I am a big fan of Toews too, but he went down a notch in my book. Granted, he didn't say anything but what any teammate would/should say, but I didn't get anything out of the hit that Toews was alluding to. No respect? Far from it.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

TMAC-I didn't mean for it to sound like that.Your thoughts on the above comment to Rachel?

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Did any of you see the hit Semin took from behind and went into the boards just as badly as Campbell. No call, and not mention by the broadcast. In case you missed it nnd have it on your DVR go to the point where there are 12 minutes left in the 3rd and then watch the next minute. I am shocked Semin didn't get hurt and it was the result of a crosscheck in the lower back, not from the side with a toe-pick.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 14, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

@dugza

I think you misinterpreted the conversation. Nobody wants to trade Ovechkin at all. At least nobody has said that.

It was one conversation that you misunderstood, apparently.

I asked another poster if he wanted to trade him and he basically said no.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

The call was a 5 minute major for boarding, but the initial contact was at the goal line, 10 feet from the boards.

How many hits initiate that far from the boards with nothing happening afterwards? I would guess a whole lot.

This was just another instance of punishing the effect of the hit instead of the hit itself. Ovie can't help that the shove took him all the way to the boards because he caught a rut.

Posted by: jcleggette | March 14, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I think what's going to cost the Caps is the obvious; defense.

I think we have a group of guys who have gone through the rigors enough to be mentally tough enough for the playoffs. But can they defend well enough to take them deep? I hope so.

Another big issue for me, as well as countless others, is the PK. Defenders making poor decisions getting themselves out of position and the PK...my two biggest issues. They can defend fine if they are there to make the play. It's when they get sucked out of position and try to compensate when things go wrong.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 14, 2010 7:16 PM |

I only saw it live, and wasn't really paying attention, but other posters mentioned it. NBC didn't feel like showing any replays of it, of course.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

That shouldn't say "is going to cost the Caps..", because I don't feel that it's an unsolvable problem. Should say "What could cost the Caps.."

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Of course I have doubts as everyone knows because I freaked out during today's game and said that the Caps can't win in the playoffs with their defense and PK. I give them credit, they shut down the Hawks, only giving up 1 SOG in the third. Everyone's been begging for a shutdown defenseman but like GMGM said, it just wasn't there at the trade deadline. But like you said, every team could use one. I feel this team is capable of playing good defense at times but then there are times when there are severe defensive breakdowns and then everyone (including me) act like the sky is falling. I definitely don't think they lack metal toughness, if you've watched all the games this year there are many times they looked done and came back. They are so resilient. Today's game was a great character win, losing your captain and looking defeated yet come back with 4 straight goals. As far as this year goes in the playoffs, no one can possibly tell what will happen. I think the last two years in the playoffs were great experiences for all the guys. They know how hard they need to work to win. I think they'll be up to the challenge. This team WANTS to win so bad.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

@rachel

Oh yeah, and this cocky comment.

"We've got the most skill in the League, on any team," Toews said.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@mark

I think there are a lot of legitimate questions about the Caps' chances.

I don't think there is a single team in the league that doesn't have fans who overanalyze their team's weaknesses.

Having said that, our defense is subpar and I see it as a big question mark.

Goaltending is another area of concern. Theo's been playing well. Can he keep it going into the playoffs? Will Varlamov be able to repeat or improve upon his performance if he's called upon?

As far as your specific concern, I do think they need to prove that they have the mental toughness, collectively, to endure a long playoff run. I think every team that hasn't won a cup needs to prove the same thing.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Everygame these are our priorities

1 - Dont get hurt
2- Play Well
3- Win

Do you understand that playing well and losing is better then winning like we did today? This team has earned the spot they are in and can shut it down if they want and coast...some of us may think it will be hard to turn it on come playoff time...

Only time will tell...but it's a great position to be in...

Even if Ovie sits 2 games...I DONT CARE. Just stay healthy..

Posted by: SA-Town | March 14, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

It's not just you, but you are the most recent...why do people pretend they know these players on a personal level...I meanit may be true (probbly is) with all the OV at Greens hot tub with girls and eating crap...but really...they are rumors and I doubt anyone on this post has any fctual insight into the players daily lives.

OV from my perspective works just as hard as other players...I mean how many guys come to practice after olympic closing ceremonies and a night of flying.

He is solid muscle...i doubt he eats terribly! He is very hard on himself(as far as I can tell) and I think it is really rude to pretend you know a player.

Posted by: capscoach | March 14, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

It's called Google, dude. Just wanted to know if you ever had anything nice to say about the team. Took about 42 secs to locate, cut and paste, but the answer was no.

Best team in the league, most exciting player ever, and you just criticize.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 14, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

That was to Mark, btw.

Yeah richmondphil... I love Toews as a player but now I don't like him as much.

"We got the most skill in the league, on any team. There’s no reason up 3-0 we can’t go out and finish the team off."- Toews
--------
Did he forget he was playing the Caps? Not even being homerish but the Caps have by far the most goals... the Caps are the most skilled team in the NHL.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll take winning ugly over playing well and losing any day... winning ugly is always a sign of a good team

Posted by: joek443 | March 14, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

"We've got the most skill in the League, on any team," Toews said.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 7:25 PM

clearly he is referring to kane's skills on how to get a free cab ride

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 14, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

clearly he is referring to kane's skills on how to get a free cab ride

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 14, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

ooh.

I absolutely hated Kane's punk-a@@ BS he pulled in his hometown. What a jerk!

Fact is, though, that guy is a great player. Pure talent.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 14, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Rachel and TMAC-Thanks for your comments.I think they got me off the ledge.I have had these concerns way before todays game.I'm just thinking if OV gets shut down in a 7 game series it will be difficult.
I guess until we win IT there will always be doubts
I'm not on here as much as i used to be but I'm sure I'll talk to you guys down the road.Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Have a good night.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I doubt Ovi eats that unhealthy. There's no way he could with how much muscle mass he has. I would think his body fat percentage is the same as before he gained the 10 pounds since last year, he added 10 pounds of muscle.

Have you seen pictures of his bare legs? They look like a body-builder's bicep/tricep. Ridiculously..almost gross to look at.

Pro athletes are machines...minus Kyle Wellwood and Pavel Brendl. They are Rosey O'Donnell's.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely hated Kane's punk-a@@ BS he pulled in his hometown. What a jerk!

Fact is, though, that guy is a great player. Pure talent.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 14, 2010 7:36 PM

so very true

it is easy to dislike (or even poke fun at) those players that are the biggest threat to ending the caps season and deny them the cup

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 14, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

Great post, Rachel. I feel the same way. I think the Caps don't lack character. It's almost like they bear down more for killing major penalties than for minor penalties.

I guess I have not mellowed out with age.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I admit I'll feel much better if the Caps do bring home a Stanley Cup. All our weaknesses seem to be magnified after a loss (and sometimes after an ugly win) until we come away with it.

Ovi, please do NOT get suspended during the playoffs. We can't afford to have you sitting in the press box when we're up against the best of the best.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see the whole game as I was entertaining guests but WOW what a great win. I was very critical of the team's effort in the loss against the Bolts at home on Friday night so I want to give credit where credit is due. Love Nicky Backstrom. Guy has world-class skills and is a proven winner.

Also love to see the guys rally with the Captain unjustly sitting in the locker room after being ejected. What a joke. It was barely a hit. I feel bad the dude went down awkwardly but that was not a 5 min major plus a game misconduct.

Wonder what dumb dumb Mike Milbury has to say now!

Posted by: david_P | March 14, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

I just went and watched the replay. It happened with 11:16 left right after Semin carried the puck in on a 2-on-1 and skated off toward the corner.

I think you're absolutely right.

I didn't think much of it at the time but Brouwer winds up and viciously cross-checks Semin from behind (toward the upper right part of his back) into the boards.

If Semin had been leaning the other way just a little bit more, he could've gone head first into the boards. He still went in both very hard and awkwardly.

That was at least as bad as Ovechkin's hit on Campbell and Semin was even more unsuspecting of the hit. Campbell did appear to peak around to his left and see Ovechkin coming. His skate also got caught in a rut as many have pointed out, including the announcers.

Plays can be reviewed after the fact even if they don't receive penalties, correct?

If so, that play was at least as bad as Ovechkin's and possibly worse.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

You can't blame Ovie for the way Campbell lost his edge. Are we supposed to believe that Ovie gets even 2 minutes if Campbell can skate and doesn't go down? So does EVERY forechecker who finishes his check after an icing is washed out go to the box for hitting from behind? Because that's a part of the game nobody ever seemed to complain about. And that's basically what happened. This isn't a "rule."

The enforcement of this "rule" (which is defined exactly how?) is riduculous, inconsistent and seems to be unfairly targeting Ovi.

Posted by: large23220 | March 14, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

david,

Actually, Milbury agreed with you.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | March 14, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

@sonyask-The only time I post is when I have some concerns or I want to criticize.
I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to post when everything is ok.
What do you want me to say-"yeah we won"-"good goal Brooksie"-"Helluva save Theo"
I don't have time for that crap.I post when I have some concerns or problem with the team.If you got a problem with that ignore me.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 14, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Yea, I'm really schocked I didn't hear more about Brouwer cross-checking Semin.

Unless I'm missing something, that was a much more vicious case of boarding and more from behind on a more unsuspecting player.

If Semin was shorter or leaning just slightly the other way, he could've been in much worse shape than Campbell.

I hope Tarik is aware of that hit and asks Boudreau about it.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I just checked back to hear BB's postgame interview. I find it interesting that all we have is Ovi's piece which shows him a little perplexed at the situation but happy at the outcome. BB doesn't like to mince his words and the call was a huge overreaction. So I find this interesting. No locker room interviews either. Hmmm!

Really glad with the win--whatever one says about the Caps defense, it stepped up in the 3rd period. Game is one of momentum IMO and after the Game Misconduct the Caps had a hard time regaining that momentum. I did too and I was sitting on a couch.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 14, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Really great interview with Varly over at Japers Rink... wow I feel so bad for criticizing him lately. He's so critical of himself. He's got his head on straight though. Read it.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

b.Rule 42 - Boarding

42.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper) applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Brouwer's hit on Semin was absolutely boarding as well.

It was much more vicious and deliberate than Ovechkin's hit. In fact, I don't think Ovechkin's was deliberate at all. He meant to hit him but he thought he was going to catch him on the side as Campbell was turning around.

Brouwer knew he was getting Semin from behind and cross-checked him with a lot more force than Ovechkin's hard "push."

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I'd marry Nicky aka Mean Lars in a heartbeat too--then again maybe I'll just adopt him. I think my husband would prefer adoption. I really do have a total fan crush on Nicky this season.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 14, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Caps fans, how does this game get catergorized as an ugly win? The Caps were down 2-0 after the 1st, only outshot 12-9, and only gave up 1 goal while killing Ovi's major, and that was when Semin was in the box and made it a 5 on 3. The 2nd period the game was back and forth but as the period came to a close you could feel the momentum swinging to the Caps and the Caps outshot them 9-8. The 3rd period was total domination, before, during, and after the penalties against the Hawks. The Caps outshot them 11-1 and the Hawks were lucky they even made it to overtime. When it was said and done the shots were 30-23 for the Caps. I would not classify that as an ugly win, but a hard working win.

An ugly win would be the Lightning win over the Caps on Friday night. They had to hold on for dear life at the end.

Anyhow, I'm glad tmac2yao had a chance to look at the hit on Semin because if an ugly play wants to get extracted from the game, that would be it.

Hopefully someone from the WaPo crew can alert BB and the staff about the hit at 8:44 of the 3rd period. The Caps have the ability to send plays in to the league. They might be able to get Ovi off as a wash, or get one of the Hawks suspended for play equal to or IMO worse than Ovi's.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 14, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@markfromparkville -- fine. Critiques are great, insults not. Have a good night.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 14, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Agree fanohock1, I wouldn't classify this as an ugly win. A game I classify as an ugly win would be a back and forth game and finally pulling it out at the end, sorta like the Rangers win a while ago 6-5 when we were still on our streak. That was an ugly win.

I'm surprised BB didn't say anything about the hit on Semin... I wonder why.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

I'm with you about Brouwer's hit on Semin.

It was vicious and, in my mind, worse than Ovechkin's hit considerably.

Semin is lucky his head wasn't down and he wasn't leaning forward or it could have been a lot worse. As is, he still went into the boards harder than Campbell.

You don't have to go into the boards head first for it to be boarding and I believe a player can still be punished even when the call is missed on the ice. Wasn't that the case with Laperriere (sp?)?

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Pens fans making bandwagon jokes...hilarious.

The definition of irony is...

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

fanohock - I really don't see how you can call the game essentially even after 2 periods. The Hawks had control of the puck about 3/4 of the time. I don't care about the SOG totals, most of the Caps shots were from far outside. Ovi was gone, and the Caps looked defeated (mentally). The TV announcers were calling out the Caps for quitting, pointing out that they shouldn't let the loss of Ovi mean they don't have to play hard. There was absolutely no sign of life in the team, no momentum at all at that point. That's what made the 3rd period and overtime so amazing.

Posted by: zmega | March 14, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

anytime your captain/best player gets rejected in the first period and you get shut out the first two periods, down by 3 in the third and come back to win in OT... it isn't exactly a text-book victory...

call it an ugly win or a gutsy performance, to me it's all a compliment and I'll take that over playing great but ending up losing any day.

Posted by: joek443 | March 14, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm with zmega -- we were totally shut down for two periods. All we needed was the PP boost in the 3rd; we took it and ran.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 14, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

zmega: Go to the boxscore of the game on washingtoncaps.com, they have a link to the highlight video. In the 2nd period the Hawks had the goal, and the rush when Theo (very solid game BTW) made the save. The other highlights in the 2nd are Caps scoring chances. The highlights from the 3rd could have been recorded with 1 camera in the Hawks zone.

The Caps shots were from the outside? Belanger nailed the crossbar (doesn't even count as a shot), Knuble was stopped on a breakaway and point blank standing next to the crease. Friggin' Semin ended up in the net, so that wasn't from outside. You can classify it as an ugly win, I don't care, my sons and I were psyched going into the 3rd because we felt the swing in Mo.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 14, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I think one thing he needs to work on is not to over-play the angle towards his glove side, leaving his blocker side vulnerable... he has a tendency to do that sometimes, not sure why

Posted by: joek443 | March 14, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

NHL network just showed highlights of our friend Downie on the Lightning slew-footing Crosby. It looked bad but Crosby is ok.

Posted by: MReilly9 | March 14, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Knuble had two great chances, plus Flash had a great chance as well.

To me, it looked like the Caps were snakebitten the first two periods. Couldn't buy a goal. Compound that with the fact that the Hawks were up by 3, and it's easy to see why the game can be perceived as ugly for the Caps. Hell, after Ovi's boarding I was ready to give up. This was by far the most pessimistic I've felt all year. My emotions ran unusually high for a regular season game. I'll chalk it up to playing the team who I think is the strongest in the West, I guess.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock - So the Caps' website showed mainly Caps' highlights, and that proves that the Caps had the better of the play? You obviously were watching a different game than the one I saw.

Posted by: zmega | March 14, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

Nice post on your link to Varly.

It's not time to send him to Hershey. Neuvy seems to be struggling as of late also. He hasn't been the same since getting injured in the Montreal game. It was originally not considered to be serious. But he didn't play at all during the Olympic break. And has not looked as sharp as in the past. And today......

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

If Mike Green scores 3 more goals and Eric Fehr gets two more, the Caps will have 8 20-goal scorers. That is amazing...

Posted by: MReilly9 | March 14, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

i love me some semin.. I better not not see Brouwer soon.. I'm five feet of pure meaness ahahahah.. poor Sasha, he's been wacked up this week and doesn't give up. Get better soon...
Backie was pretty awesome.. he grows on me every week..

Posted by: kmr2r | March 14, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

@zmega
Thats an NHL Network highlight not a Washington Capitals highlight, but yeah I guess we were watching a different game

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 14, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watch the King/Boogard fight? Nasty.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

So the Sharks are down 3-0 on the road at the Ducks after 1. Think they've got it in them to come back?

Posted by: Sonyask | March 14, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

@MReilly9:

Just saw what Downie did to Crosby and that was the definition of dirty.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | March 14, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

We all know they've got it in them to come back.

The only question is whether they will or not.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Just saw what Downie did to Crosby and that was the definition of dirty.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2

Just watched it. Wow, that was VERY dirty. You know I dislike Crosby but that wasn't cool at all by Downie. But Downie is a punk so that's expected.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Ducks are weird. They have a great first line, great role players, great goaltender, and great defenders, yet they somehow can't put the pieces together. Admittedly, I don't watch too much Ducks hockey if any at all, but they played a great 1st period.

Burke screwed their Cap, won the Cup, and ran. Haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

13 more games to play..300 goal-mark should be easily attainable.

That's only an average of ~2.3 goals/game.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The hit by Brouwer on Semin was in the back and far worse than the push Ovechkin game to Campbell. Difference is that Campbell was hurt, Ovechkin has a reputation, and Semin got up. Any other player makes a push from the side just after a defenseman release the puck and its a 2-minute minor. Even Milbury and McGuire said between periods that a 2-minute minor was all that warranted.

It appeared the refs overreacted when they saw that Campbell was hurt which I why they huddled to discuss it. The exact same type of play happened in the Caps-Pens 5-4 win in February. Cooke rammed Ovechkin from behind headfirst into the boards and no penalty was called although it was an easy call. The lack of consistency on hits from behind and against 'defenseless' players needs to be carefully reviewed by the NHL as the refs do not call it consistently.

If Ovie gets suspended, it will strictly be due to the fact that he he's been suspended previously and has a reputation. I've seen hits like those made against Brads that were far worse.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 14, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Alex Ovechkin has meant everything to this team, but he has become a reckless player. He will be suspended for at least 4 games, and probably deserves it. He also probably cost himself at least two major awards this year.

The hit was needless, he also was on the ice way too long. If this team in gonna win the cup, this needs to stop.

Posted by: underpants2 | March 14, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope BB gets word of this. Many of you are saying this was far worse than Ovie's hit, why didn't BB bring it up?

Maybe Semin should've laid there for a while since NBC didn't care to show any replays. I need to watch that again...

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

It may not be right but there are a bunch of reckless players in the NHL. Every night it becomes more frequent that we have a controversial hit... it's getting more and more every night. I still can't believe Downie did that to Crosby. That was 100% intentional and Downie is definitely a guy that's out there to intentionally hurt. He didn't like the way that Stamkos got hit and went and threw a blatant slewfoot. He deserves to be suspended.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 14, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

That was fun reading the posts from the first two periods. Some of you should probably just not post during the game, or realize we do have the best record in hockey regardless of how we played for two periods on the road against one of the leagues best teams.

i would also suggest for richmondphil and joe443 to either meet up at the turtle before the game and get gay with each other or just fight till the death on F street. You guys are hilarious!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | March 14, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Just saw that the Bears took it on the chin tonight 6-2...anyone have any insight...who in goal, etc.?

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 14, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

@wizfan89

That's what I fear. That Ovi will be suspended since he's a repeat offender.

I'm sorry for ranting on but if he gets 3-4 major penalties a year, with suspensions for each, we can pretty much count on not having him for 10+ games per year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

@ralCapsFan

Neuvy was in goal and got pulled after 5 goals against. Replaced by Holtby who played last night and gave up 1 today.

Neuvy played Friday and the Bears won in OT in a high scoring affair.

Holtby played yesterday and the Bears lost in a shootout in a high scoring affair.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

They don't call penalties on half the stuff done against Semin. So he'll generally get up and keep playing.

Not his week. Keeps getting cut up. Tries but makes mistakes. (He is a talented player but can be so awkward at times.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

@capsfansince74

I know I'm a guilty party; i.e. someone who shouldn't post during the first two periods or bad stretches of play.

I'll admit to being pained by my love of the two baddest boys in hockey.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see the ripping Cherry gave Cooke on yahoo sports?

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | March 14, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

It from behind where you can see Brian's numbers clear as day ... numbers on back ... jersey back, so yeah, not from behind

Posted by: flee001 | March 14, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

Thanks dude. I hope its the Bear'd D and not Neuvy.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 14, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

RE: Downie's slewfoot on Crosby. While Downie is obviously a jerk and a dirty player (as we know well from his cheap shot on Brads this year), I still think that this kind of play is brought on by the NHL's insistence on not punishing Pittsburgh players for dirty plays. You see Orpik take a run at Stamkos and you know that no one is going to do anything about it. So, you go after their best player in the hardest way possible. I hope Colin Campbell is proud of the ugliness he is adding to the game by being a gutless tool.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | March 14, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 9:57 PM

I think that is some faulty extrapolation.

You're probably making too much out of this season and projecting it forward.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2, please, Ovi didn't deserve to be ejected. And who cares if Ovi wins any individual awards or not. He doesn't. The only thing that matters is the cup.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 14, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

I'll admit I'm projecting things from this year.

I'm just wondering why Ovi is getting called for all these major penalties. Is he being singled out more? Has he changed his game? Is it because he's heavier and, thus, causes more damage?

I'm hoping the situation does not persist into next year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

The Ducks had so many near goals tonight. It's hard to believe they only scored 3 plus the empty-netter.

I was only watching the game passively in the background but I saw so many close calls around the net. Nabokov made a lot of big saves and the SJ PK gave them a chance to stick around.

You see glimpses of the Ducks team that came on strong at the end of last season but they just can't seem to sustain the good play. I've only seen parts of a handful of their games this season, in addition to their game against us, but they fluctuate wildly in the quality of their play. They look like an elite team for a few games then the total opposite for the next few games.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

the kneeing on Gonchar last year and on Gleason this year I have a problem with but as far as these other hits including today's, they're just normal hockey hits as far as I'm concerned...

maybe Ovie is just stronger than everyone else and a normal hit from him can be too much for the others sometimes...

Posted by: joek443 | March 14, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Backstrom became the third player ever to get 55 assists in his first three seasons behind Papa Stastny and Gretzky.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Ovie deserves to be suspended for that hit, but he probably will be. NHL headquarters are in Canada and we all know what Canada thinks of Ovie.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | March 14, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

I had the same thought, Joe. Shaq has complained for years that he gets abused because of his size and strength. I do think this is a problem for Ovi, perhaps doubly, because he does not look obviously bigger and stronger.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | March 14, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2010 11:04 PM

Yea, I remembered that when reading the game recap.

We all thought he got it a couple of games ago but I believe one of his assists got taken back and given to Ovechkin or somebody else.

That's some incredible company.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Projected lines for Tuesday against Carolina. I assume Ovi is suspended. So here goes:

Chimera/Backstrom/Knuble
Laich/Belanger/Fehr
Flash/BMo/Semin
Walker/Stecks/Gordon

Figure Bradley will get the day off.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I hope Ovechkin learns to pick and choose his spots better but I'd rather have a player that plays a little too physically than a player who shies away from physical play, especially on a team like the Caps that is on the low end when it comes to physical play.

There are a lot of players around the league that have a little bit of a history when it comes to questionable hits but Ovechkin just happens to be one of the highest profile players in the league so his mistakes get scrutinized more.

Almost nobody cared about Janssen's or Koci's hits outside of the teams involved in the incidents. Nobody outside of the fans of those teams probably even remember those plays.

Koci's hit on Green was far worse than Ovechkin's on Campbell but only Ovechkin's will be talked about a year from now.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

@ccCapsfan & @joek443

That's what I wonder as well. A "normal" hit for him will cause injury to other guys. While a normal hit by other guys is just that -- normal

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

word on the street is that that guy is gunning for the lady byng to round out his worthless trophy case....Pens=6 out of 7 playoff series v whinington capitals=3 cups....

Posted by: sean1smith | March 14, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I've watched that hit a million times today.
Frozed it @ the 41-42 seconds mark on the NHL website.

The d-man turned with his left skate to start turning behind the goal - ie turning left. As Ovie begins to make contact with him. What is Ovie supposed to do, blow sweet nothings in his ears?

How in a millisecond can a 225 lbs linebacker on skate push you & you not fly would defy physics.

What I also though was odd is how Campbell kinda just went limp like a ragdoll the moment Ovie made contact.

Is he really a world class athlete that Campbell?

It's a contact sport. There was no deliberate intent to injure.
Nor even a check.

Stop the hating on Ovie so call Caps fan.
I rather lose with him that win with all those so-called good guys from the work hard good guys Caps team of the 80's & 90's.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 14, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

I hope he chooses his hits better as well. We can't afford multiple suspensions during a season and especially, not during the playoffs.

I can live with one short regular season suspension but not multiple suspensions.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sean1smith | March 14, 2010 11:28 PM |

Is that the same street your crack ho mother gave birth to you fatty & her guts ripped out on the c-section for your baby sister cindy-poo?

Comeback when you finally get a job that doesn't involve worthless stats in pittsturd cause I heard the steel mill closed down again.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 14, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

@Rocc00

The simple answer to your question is that he has to be under control before he ends up in a position where it's too late to avoid hitting him from behind.

Ovechkin was at fault on that play but it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of other boarding plays you see almost on a weekly basis.

Bouwer's boarding on Semin that didn't even draw a penalty was far worse and more malicious.

And... Frozed??

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Bad news guys. Rumor has it that Campbell has a broken clavicle and a grade 2 concussion and will be out for the remainder of the season.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 14, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

ummm, rocc00, have you had your meds today? wow....pretty graphic for a bs washpost retort....those playoff series losses getting to you....are they....are they....are they...redrum...redrum

Posted by: sean1smith | March 14, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1

Unfortunately, the worst news rumored on the Campbell injury front has come to pass.

So how many games will Ovi be suspended?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfe1 | March 14, 2010 11:40 PM

Whoa!

I hope Campbell is okay if that is accurate information.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 11:39 PM

I agree - like with high sticks plays also that they need to be in control.
But the hit wasn't as bad as it seems.
It's a man's game not figure skating.
Rules are rules.
I'll take the punishment not the turncoats who are into making Ovie out to be a villain.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 14, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a broken clavicle, broken rib and out for the season according to this article: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2010/03/brian-campbells-season-over.html

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 14, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sean1smith | March 14, 2010 11:42 PM |

It's not figure skating pitturd fan.
Go acquire some immune deficiency.
Cause apparently you have unemployment time on your hand.
What's matter? say stupid things & you don't expect a b!tch slap back?

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 14, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

go acquire some immune deficiency? now i am convinced you are 12 or completely insane....or...so anyway, the crack ho think is such a 90s reference and the steel mill thing more 80s...get up to date like maybe living on the govt teet? you? fed? or govt teet supporter?? come on....its true...anyway, back to hockey which should be based on sport not inane references to the deficiencies of your city govt (your public schools, roads, metro, m barry, corruption, tax scandals, ummm running out of room...but hey, nice free museums). Speaking of crack ho's...that b**ch set me up!!!

Posted by: sean1smith | March 14, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid that the gravity of Campbell's injuries will mean a significant suspension for Ovie, especially in light of hie earlier suspension. I don't consider Ovie a dirty player, but, IMO, that was a cheap shot, pushing a guy from behind while he's going towards the boards as he did. I'm thinking 5-7 games.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 14, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

@rbpalmer:

That would be insane - nothing for Cooke's hit on Savard, but 5-7 for Ovie? For a hit that almost every hockey commentator, including today on NBC (and we all know how much Mike Milbury "loves" Ovie and the Caps) agreed should not have been a misconduct? After Ovie was the victim of a similar hit by Adams during the Sunday Pens game a few weeks ago? That would put the nail in the coffin of the opinion that the NHL is a biased, bigoted, Mickey Mouse organization!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | March 15, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say this but it's amazing that Ovechkin could have deliberately put a shoulder into a guy's head and knocked the guy into a 6-month coma as long as he didn't leave his feet and get absolutely no suspension.

On the other hand, he could get out of control and mistime a hit and board a guy and get whatever punishment he's likley going to face at this point.

I'm not saying Ovechkin doesn't deserve a suspension but he didn't mean to hurt Campbell while I don't think anybody believes that Cook or Richards were trying to make clean plays.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 15, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

It just makes me sick that Cooke can get away with murder and Ovechkin will be facing some serious punishment for accidentally hurting Campbell.

Ovechkin was trying to hit him hard but he wasn't trying to break bones and send him head first into the boards.

The NHL rules are competely out of whack.

Intentionally shoulder a guy and knock him out on the ice, no problem.

Accidentally catch a guy a little from behind and you get a multiple game suspension.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 15, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

From a article on Tsn....

TSN has learned that despite this being Ovechkin's third game misconduct this season, he will not be suspended because the penalties were not assessed for the same infraction. His last game misconduct was handed out for a knee-on-knee hit on Tim Gleason of the Carolina Hurricanes.
Also, he has been cleared for his last game misconduct for boarding because it was assessed more than 41 games ago.

This may have been before news of the injury came out though.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 15, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

my two cents...disclosure...pens fan...the recent cooke hit on savard resulted in no suspension because it wasn't a banned hit or even a hit that is supposed to result in a penalty. but when I saw it, i thought it was wrong and expeceted a suspension...regarding the hit by your guy....campbell had dished the puck in sufficient time for your guy to not hit him at all and the push from behind, although it didn't look like much-doesn't have to be-think man on edge of cliff, was wrong. I have never understood why the nhl doesn't take a similar stand to the nfl with regard to their clipping (old school definition) penalty. No hits from behind, period. could you imagine the offense?
as far as whether your guy is dirty? who cares? it is what it is and three game misconducts in 60 some games is what it is. The players in the league know what is up and that is what counts

Posted by: sean1smith | March 15, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

@DevilsCapsGal & @rbpalmer

Yes, it would be crazy to suspend Ovi for 5-7 games for his hit but I'm afraid that a suspension will happen. Maybe not 5-7 games but ..... Given the fact that the Cooke hit was so controversial, it would not surprise me if the NHL discipline czar decides to make an example out of Ovi and send a message.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 15, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

guess it's a good thing there are 15 healthy forwards on the team
i thought in that situation that ovi didn't need to push campbell - if they are both upright along the boards - ok finish your check - i'd like to see more caps do that.
history shows that the league takes 'injury' into account - so i don't think he will get away without some kind of suspension

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 15, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I recall all our earlier discussion (or was it on Japers) about Chimera being wasted on the 4th line. Well, Chimera is no longer on the 4th line. He has earned his way to the top line since Flash, the normal person who plays 1L left wing in the absence of Ovi was not having one of his better games. And they don't plan to break up Laich and Semin.

Or should we just go ahead and move Laich to the line with Knuble and Backstrom? And let Flash and Fehr be the second line along with Belanger.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 15, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

@ludeman95

I think that just refers to the automatic suspension.

I think he is still open to supplementary discipline and in light of the recent news about Campbell, I'd expect a minimum of a 4-game suspension.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 15, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

We did acquire extra players for a reason. Didn't know we would need to replace our 1st line left winger.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 15, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

what's truely amazing is that the league office is so inconsistent - they could rule anywhere from 0 to 10 games. guess we'll find out sometime before tuesday afternoon

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 15, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

@tmac

Yeah I forgot about that.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 15, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Probably tomorrow we find out the bad news.

Congratulations Chimmer, you're our new first line left winger. (Who would have thought that prior to today?)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 15, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

There are over 20 pages of comments in that TSN article about the Ovechkin hit.

If Boyd Gordon delivered the exact same hit, there would be maybe 2 pages. I'm guessing that very few of those posters even care about Campbell.

I guess that's the price you pay for being in the spotlight.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 15, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I personally believe that the severity of the injury should be considered when handing out suspensions but I don't believe that the NHL shares my view

I know this was from another time but don't believe Denis Potvin got anything extra for breaking Gussy's leg about 20 years ago so I don't believe Ovie will get anything severe either

Posted by: joek443 | March 15, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

@joek443

The NHL sometimes considers the seriousness of the injury in doling out suspensions as much as they deny it.

How long would you suspend Ovi for?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 15, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Guess Laing and Sloan will have some new company in the press box who will share some nachos and coke.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 15, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

What Ovechkin should get, based on the hit, is no suspension. What he will get is probably 2-3 games. This despite the fact that nearly the same hit was done on Ovechkin earlier this season and there wasn't even a penalty. Of course, it was a Pen who did it.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 15, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Caps fans are quick to turn on Ovi. I've seen worse hits from Knuble. The only difference is that Ovi is stronger than most, so the impact is greater. Ovi is no dirtier than any other hockey player.

Posted by: ablake70 | March 15, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree, ablake. After all, this is the player who has knocked down Chara and Hal Gill, who are both significantly bigger than he is. The Campbell hit was not dirty, it was simply bad luck combined with a very strong player. I wish Campbell hadn't gotten hurt - he is a great player, it's never good to see someone like that get injured.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 15, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

@ablake70

Yes, that is the difference. Ovi's hits result in worse results since he is so big and strong. I agree that he's no dirtier than any other hockey player but since he now has a rap sheet, he is a marked man.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 15, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey Capsfan75 or others...

This is way off topic...but I was wondering if anyone knows the origins of Dustin Byfuglien's last name...I was trying to research it online earlier today...I am just curious what language it comes from mostly...I ask Capsfan75, because she has demonstrated a good grasp on name origins in the past.

I reall hope those rumors of Campbell being out for the season is not true! I could see Ov getting suspended for the hit, but I do not think it is totally warranted in this instance. But, it is what it is I suppose. Great comeback for the team today. Backstrom's best effort in my opinion since the break. I was very impressed with the ease he had on the defensive play that lead up to his goal (though it had to be done due to a goof on his part too). He is just very awesome to watch, I loooove his style!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | March 15, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

@ timmyv38

I agree. I feel bad if Campbell is out for the playoffs. Of course, I'll wait for the official word. Remember last year the Pens said Gonchar and Letang were out for the playoffs until the league decided not to suspend Ovi and Green? It was amazing how fast those two healed. So the Campbell injury reports could be an attempt to influence the punishment.

Posted by: ablake70 | March 15, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

No, it looks like it's real with the broken clavicle, and broken ribs. It's being reported on a bunch of sites.

Hope Campbell's unfortunate injuries don't effect the outcome of what happens to Ovi, although I know that it has in the past.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 15, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

You wonder why there isn't a goon or enforcer type on the Caps? Because Ovie is that type. We love him and hate him both for it. I do think he's going to get suspended for the hit. However, Ovechkin is soon gonna have to drop the gloves and prove his worth. Hits like this one only invite it.

Posted by: CapsTerps10 | March 15, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

@ dfe1

I feel for Campbell, but I don't think there was any attempt to injure by Ovi. That play that really warranted a suspension was the slew foot on Peverly earlier this year. Ovi was only fined, but that was ten times worse than the Campbell hit.

Posted by: ablake70 | March 15, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts on the hit:

1) Ovechkin has two people's worth of adrenaline flowing through his body during a hockey game. I don't want him to slow up, but there's a fine line between pumping your team up with a huge hit and completely deflating them by being ejected.
2) Anyone who thought the hit was clean is wrong. It was from behind and the puck was gone. I don't think it was worth 5 + a game misconduct, but it was definitely worth 2.
3) I think he gets suspended. It wasn't as late as Lapierre's hit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mAdKiK_Fto - but it could be mentioned in the same sentence. For those of you keeping track, the front office gave him 4 games. I don't think Lapierre's hit was worth 4 games (though you can see him smirking after the play - what a jerk) but judge for yourselves.

Posted by: Raber | March 15, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

@Raber, I don't consider it even close to the Lapierre hit, which was actually a crosscheck, the player was unsuspecting (Campbell looked behind him and knew Ovi was there). Have no problem with it being worth a penalty--but as said before if Campbell's skate doesn't hit a rut in the ice, no one is talking about this because Campbell doesn't even go down.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 15, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

CapsTerps10, completely agree that Ovi will have to drop the gloves, and it will probably happen soon. If he hadn't of been ejected from the game, I'm sure it would have happened against Chicago, and I'm sure Ovi would have dropped the gloves.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 15, 2010 1:58 AM | Report abuse

TSN feed of the Lapierre hit. Check it out for the aforementioned shot of Lapierre smirking when talking with a Shark after the play. Then later at the bench:

Disgraceful.

Posted by: Raber | March 15, 2010 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfe1 | March 15, 2010 1:56 AM

On that note, I thought Chicago's ice looked terrible today. You're probably right about Campbell's skate hitting a rut, but I think we're also underestimating Ovie's strength. Dude could push a zamboni out of the way - just sayin'.

Posted by: Raber | March 15, 2010 2:05 AM | Report abuse

@Raber, totally agree about Ovi's strength. The guy really is superhuman (just think of the nongoal where he launches Gill out of the way). Maybe he does need to watch how he hits someone, especially when he has a lot of speed. My guess is that Campbell had probably said/done something to Ovi or one of his teammates earlier and Ovi just wanted to give the guy a little shove--except with Ovi, nothing is little.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 15, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't think we would be hearing details like "broken collarbone and rib" if they were just trying to influence the decision-makers to suspend Ovechkin.

I think I remember reading that you are not allowed to falsify information regarding an injury.

Teams are allowed to be vague with the whole "upper-body/lower-body" phenomenon but they can't tell blatant lies.

This is the best I could find with a quick search: http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/the-morning-skate-nhls-new-injury-disclosure-policy-draws-heavy-criticism/

The relevant excerpt:

“Clubs no longer are required to disclose the specific nature of player injuries. Clubs are, however, required to disclose that a player is expected to miss a game due to injury, or will not return to a game following an injury. Clubs are prohibited from providing untruthful information about the nature of a player injury or otherwise misrepresenting a player’s condition.

So, unless these reports are coming from bad sources, don't be surpised if they are fact.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 15, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

@tmac, no, they're fact, although it seems to vary between broken collarbone and broken clavicle.

Apparently NHL on the Fly is throwing Ovi under the bus, so I'd expect a suspension.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 15, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

@ Raber

Sure the hit warranted a penalty, but not a suspension. This wasn't as bad as say Flash boarding Letang during the first Pens game (no penalty called)or any number of plays that happen during the course of the game. It's unfortunate that Campbell was injured, but if Ovi wasn't Ovi this would be a non issue.

Posted by: ablake70 | March 15, 2010 2:22 AM | Report abuse

@dfe1

I was just responding to a previous poster who was thinking/hoping that maybe the team was releasing false information intentionally.

The team definitely wouldn't release false information. That is against league policy.

The best hope is that a bad source released false information and some media outlets ran with it prematurely. I doubt that is the case though.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 15, 2010 2:50 AM | Report abuse

@ Raber

Posted by: ablake70 | March 15, 2010 2:22 AM

I'm not saying it does warrant a suspension. I think one of the keys to determining suspension is intent, which is why I went ballistic when I saw the Cooke hit not too long ago. I also agree that if this weren't Ovie, the media wouldn't be all cramming their opinions down our throats about it (at least not as vehemently as now).

All that being said, I think he gets a suspension because the NHL doesn't want their stars in this kind of limelight. The league has two reactions to this kind of situation:

a) Sweep it under the rug as best they can
b) Throw the book in effort to show they're policing the game.

b has been the treatment Ovie's been getting this season, so expect more of it. It blows, because anyone listening to Ovie's interviews knows he respects his opponents. When he's on the ice, he's just too amped up to stop sometimes - something I hope he learns before he's suspended at a time that REALLY has an effect.

Posted by: Raber | March 15, 2010 4:11 AM | Report abuse

Onto a positive note (that no one will read) - I just noticed on Backstrom's goal in overtime that Green made one heck of a play. He was skating off for a line change when he saw Backstrom lose the puck and hauled a** to get back and cut off the lane for Dustin B. By cutting off the lane, Green enabled Backstrom to get within reach of the puck, something that would have been impossible otherwise. Hooray for a defensive play by Green leading to a GWG in OT!

Posted by: Raber | March 15, 2010 4:26 AM | Report abuse

we want theo,look at his record haters.we want THEO C-A-P-S,CAPS,CAPS,CAPS.Go BB&GMGM.AMEN

Posted by: unclebully4 | March 15, 2010 4:56 AM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao, why are you so concerned with what richmondphil thinks. is he the president of this comment board? do you have alterior motives to befriend him and keep him in your basement as your own personal game announcer? why dont you get his email or aim handle and penpal to your hearts content and leave the post to people who just want to leave comments about the game itself. thanks

Posted by: STEVE4710 | March 15, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

richmondphil,
i agree. i get great streaming video but whenever it's the post, it sucks. wake up washington post! it's the 21st century!!!

Posted by: papple | March 15, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse