Alex Ovechkin on suspension: 'I was disappointed with the NHL's decision'

Via a Caps press release, here are Alex Ovechkin's comments on his two-game suspension:

"I am very sorry that Brian was injured and I hope he is able to return to his team soon. NHL hockey is a physical game. We all play hard every time we are on the ice and have battles each shift in every game we play so we can do our jobs and win. As players we must accept responsibility for our actions and I am no different but I did not intend to injure Brian and that is why I was disappointed with the NHL's decision yesterday. Every time I have the honor to play for my team, I will continue to do what I have done since I was taught to play. I will play hard, play with passion and play with respect for my teammates, opponents and fans. I look forward to returning to my team and doing everything I can to be the best player I can be."

Video from Tarik still to come.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 16, 2010; 1:11 PM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theodore set to start vs. Panthers
Next: Alex Ovechkin skates, comments on suspension

Comments

Well said OV. I think OV is a class act and I hope he does not change a thing about the way he plays. He brings so much to both the Caps and the NHL.

Posted by: Two4Roughing | March 16, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Ovie...sticking to his guns. Gotta luv him!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 16, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

No need for apologies, Ovi. Thanks for that. Campbell, get well soon. Maybe after you've had some time to think, you'll be able to finally admit that your skate got caught on a groove in the ice and that Ovi's love tap wasn't what sent you careening into the boards.

Hey Panthers, get ready to eat it tonight!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 16, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

As long as he's ready for the Pens game and the Playoffs...2 games rest will do him well....

Posted by: SA-Town | March 16, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Trade him for Matt Cooke.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 16, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, it may have been a prepared speech, but in no way did Ovi sell out. Admitted he was disappointed with the decision, made one last statement that he did not intend to injure Campbell, and best of all that he will not change the way he plays.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Great statement but you all can't seriously believe that he wrote this himself verbatim.

Posted by: playahatah | March 16, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

That's what the media relations guy told Ovi to say. This is what he read in his mind;

"Hi...I am sorry for hit. Hope Campbell get back team soon. I play honor with. I play fierce with. I play sick. No injury Campbell for intended, so I hate NHL for stupid Western decision. I hope I return to team soon and score goal."

Posted by: richmondphil | March 16, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Ovi is definitely a class act, and whether he wrote it or not, or just said what he was told to, I have no doubt that it comes from the heart.

Posted by: irockthered | March 16, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Guess we're headed for a them against us couple of months on the road to the Stanley Cup. Alex seems to have three problems -- 1) he plays an aggressive physical style of play that complements his world-class hockey talent; 2) he has not yet found a "mature" balance between his physical play and player (his and his opponents) safety; and 3) he is not from Canada. Ovie and the Capitals are going to be carrying targets on their backs -- Alex for the ridiculous accusation that he is a dirty player and the Caps for the constant media drumbeat that they play nothing more than a fire wagon brand of hockey that can't win in the playoffs. Time to rally and rock the red!

Posted by: McKinley2 | March 16, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Richmondphil, that's high-Larry-us!!!

Posted by: papple | March 16, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

on another note, Matt Cooke will have a big bulleye on his chest in 2 days when Pittsburgh travels to Boston. The Boston media, the fans, and the Boston GM have all expressed a lot of distaste with the way the Bruins handled the hit by Cooke on Savard. I think Chiarelli said something about his team lacking testosterone. So even though both teams are in a playoff struggle and no one wants to lose that game on a dumb penalty, you'll see a lot of anger and intensity in this game. The Penguins can't dress Eric Godard because of his groin injury so they'll rely on their team toughness to get em thru that game (unless they call up Brookbank).

Should be a real fun game to watch! Boston has a lot of pride and I expect them to punish Cooke every chance they get.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 16, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Ovie should take responsibility for the incident. He must acknowledge that he alone is solely responsible for the ice conditions that led Campbell to toepick himself, lose his balance as his skate went vertical sending him off into the boards from the forward momentum of a push.

Ovechkin is the lord of all H20, it bends to his will.

Posted by: dimagus | March 16, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I was disappointed too Ovi.

So I think these are tonight's lines:

Flash-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Belanger-Semin
Chimera-BMo-Fehr
Bradley-Gordon-Laing

It will be good to see what Laing can do on the PK.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 16, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

And Green is the lord of Earth.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 16, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"

Ovechkin is the lord of all H20, it bends to his will."

Post of the Day (especially since DiMagus used "led" correctly!!!)

Posted by: OvechkinFan92801 | March 16, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think that Ovie can string together sentences in English better than most here can in Russian - mentally, verbally and/or written. If that offends some and/or is untrue then I'll just say definitely better than me. He does have an advanced degree as well. For real, he's no brainless chump. If you've ever heard/seen an interview with him in Russian (with translation - for me at least!), it certainly enhances the "Ovie experience." Conversely, he's done a fine job with English. Either way, let's not propagate the myth, shall we? Enough ammo for the haters already.

If it is a prepared statement, it sure reads like it reflects his thoughts and feelings as we know them: playing hard/battling, being honored to play, respectfully wishing the other person well, passionate play, etc. True to form and well done.

Looking forward to Saturday! - GO OVIE!!
GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: nena1 | March 16, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Way to go OV!! Stick to your guns and keep playing the way you've been playing. The penalty and suspension was/is a major joke. No way it should have played out like this, especially with the other junk going on out there without penalty. GO CAPS!! (good one richmondphil!!!)

Posted by: tnand | March 16, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Nena1, are you trying to tell me that Ovi is not in fact a caveman? Are you trying to tell me that Ovi can actually speak English?
What now..you're going to try to pass off that he isn't a dirty player? You think he actually plays any defense and just cherry picks all day?

Did I miss any?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 16, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

That was definitely a very classy way to handle the issue.

However, I kinda wish he had come out and said what was really on his mind: "It was a clean hit, with no malice in it. The little girl just tripped over his own skates and exacerbated the hit. It seems like everyone outside DC in the NHL has placed a bullseye on my back for actually playing 110% in every minute I'm on the ice."

The way Ovie hits, if he were actually TRYING to hit someone dirty, with malice, the guy would be lucky to walk again.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Word, richmondphil. Your posts just hit me the wrong way. And I didn't really call you specifically out on it. Actually, I'm just being an overly sensitive Ovie defender (not apologist) right now. Truly sorry too if I don't have my *sarcasm* goggles on today. Just feel a bit weary of it all - as are so many, I'm sure. Some would read your posts and laugh for the wrong reasons - and some did and laughed for the right reasons. I didn't laugh and that's exactly why I responded the way I did.

And to clarify: your last sentence is actually confusing...so, yes and no?? :)
Peace, richmondphil!

Posted by: nena1 | March 16, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

It was a thug move by Ovechkin. Campbell is out for the year; Ovechkin should be also.

Posted by: Leslee912 | March 16, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@ (Beverly) Leslee912: In case you hadn't heard, stupid Campbell won't need surgery and will be back in time for the playoffs. The Blackhawks still lost and won't even be a factor in the Playoffs. Give it up. The NHL's main office is embarrassing themselves.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 16, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Apologies to all in-advance for being all over the map topic-wise. That said, it has taken me awhile to get through this far today. For the record, I too am disgusted at the double standard under which the Caps must labor. Surely I have slipped into the Twilight Zone when I find myself in agreement with the words which Damian Cox used to close his commentary on the suspension:

"...It stinks..."

Anyhoo...

guess the NHL just decided Sunday's game was un-Fehr for the Hawks with the Caps coming Back-strom Laich that. That's why Ovi was suspended.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 8:46 AM

@fanohock1: A priceless gem of alliteration! I suppose we could have made up to a total of 9 puns about milk here, but lacked 8.

+++++++++++++

This is the quote of the century. There is not one person flying off the handle about how "dirty" OV is or whatever, that wouldn't have him on their team in a heartbeat.
I'm to the point where I'm over even trying to reason with these knuckleheads. My response from now on is: "You're right he is dirty, I'm sure glad my team doesn't have to play against him. Sucks to be you."
That said, the irony of Penguins fans complaining about OV's "dirty play" when they have Cooke, Kunitz, and Orpik isn't lost on anyone with a brain.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 16, 2010 10:13 AM

@VTDUffman: Too True! Thing is, I felt similarly about Brashear when he was ours: "So what? He may be a goon, but he's our goon, and don't you wish you had him?"

++++++++++++++

Posted by: richmondphil | March 16, 2010 1:30 PM

@richmondphil: That was great--LMAO! Because, as every Caps' fan knows, the best solution to almost any hockey problem is:

SCORE MORE GOALS.

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 16, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leslee912 | March 16, 2010 4:19 PM |

Your comment is a case of opening your mouth and inserting something too soon.
He will be back by the playoffs. 7-8 weeks possibly sooner.
This is the first time a guy trips & hurts himself & the guy next to him gets a suspension.

If the hawks meet us I would want Ovie to really check Campbell - not just push him - the moron caused his own injury!

As for lesslee:
You maybe need to insert something else in that mouth of yours to relieve the stupidity.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 16, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

You think he actually plays any defense and just cherry picks all day?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 16, 2010 2:02 PM

Thing about these two fallacies that are ALWAYS used by the penscum fans, is that they never give him any credit. They actually believe that he can never be as good as sissy boy. Ovy racks up assist totals even with or greater than his goal totals, it's because his teammates scored off of his many shots on net. Ovy scores lots of goals because he cherry picks. Ovy doesn't play any defense....on and on....

I can't stand sissy boy crysby but I can admit he's a very good hockey player. Penscum fans, as a whole, could never admit anything positive about Ovy.

Posted by: Chase4 | March 17, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leslee912 | March 16, 2010 4:19 PM

Only a true ignoramus would state such a thing. Maybe you'd like the NHL to be the "No Hitting League". Seems right up your alley. Since Savard is out for the year, do you think that coward cooke should be out for the year as well? Or are you a fan of that pos team in western pa and think cooke's hit was legal?

Posted by: Chase4 | March 17, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse