Russia routed by Canada in quarterfinal

(Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

Columnist Tracee Hamilton writes from Vancouver:

This is what Canadians have wanted, from the moment the cauldron was lit, from the awarding of the Olympics to Vancouver seven years ago, probably from birth. This is what they demanded during their beloved hockey team's humiliating reality, a must-win play-in game Tuesday against Germany, when they chanted "We want Russia!"
They weren't kidding around. Team Canada, so rattled after losing to the United States in pool play Sunday, pole-axed the talented Russians, 7-3, in a quarterfinal game Wednesday evening at Canada Hockey Place. The Canadians will face the winner of Wednesday night's late game between Slovakia and Sweden in the semifinals Friday.
What all of Canada had built into an Alex Ovechkin vs. Sidney Crosby matchup -- the red-clad, hockey-mad fans gave the arena the look of Verizon Center during a Caps-Penguins playoff game -- instead turned into an eye-averting onslaught. Ovechkin was certainly a focal point, both for the crowd, which booed him during introductions and every chance it got, and for the Canadians, who hit him so hard and so often that Ted Leonsis probably had difficulty getting out of bed this morning. But neither of them had a point.

Click here to read the full column. And here's the gamer from the AP.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 24, 2010; 9:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chimera leaves practice early
Next: Olympic roundup: U.S. advances; Russia falls

Comments

TV commentator mentioned that OV was shaking hands (the traditional line with both teams after game) with his injured hand.

What's the scoop?

Posted by: dezlboy1 | February 24, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Typo is headline: It should have said, "Russia routed by Crosby"

Posted by: cplcespod | February 24, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Hope Ovi's hand is OK. Now, let's go for the Cup. GO USA!

Posted by: WCAPS1 | February 24, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Ovy hurt his hand but he played after that. He is fine.

Now jump on the USA bang wagon all your turn coat punks that wanted Russia to win over the USA. You do not deserve to cheer when the USA takes the gold and plays hockey the way it was meant to be. Unlike the cowardly Russians tonight. Other than Ovy, Semin, and a few other players. They showed up.

USA!!! FOR THE GOLD!!!

Milbury should be fire tonight for calling them Euro Trash.

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 24, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I give Semin credit for playing like he cares and being willing to mix it up. I'm not sure that his hit on Boyle was a penalty. Taking Cindy out was definitely a penalty, but how many of us didn't smile a bit when it happened? Admit it. I'm not proud of it, but I did.

Posted by: zmega | February 24, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Can't say I watched every minute of every game Russia played but Malkin (aside from one game) and Datsyuk seemed to be highly ineffective. All I can say is I'm glad Malkin and Gonchar were playing for Russia so that keeps all the OV haters and Penguins fans at bay. Their Russian Penguin players were awful.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 24, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

oh.....go USA! Was always on that bandwagon, even though there are no Caps.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Ugly game. I didn't think Semin's hit on Boyle was that dirty. Boyle's counter hit was much worse, in my humble opinion.

But would Campbell see fit to suspend Semin anyhow?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Ugh! Bad game by the Russians. Boyle is now on my list of bad guys. Since when is slew footing Semin in retaliation for a late hit ever okay. Ugly way to end the game. Well it's team USA and team Sweden now.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

can the NHL even suspend anyone for what they do in these olympic games??

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Team Canada has more talent, top to bottom, in my opinion but it seems that the biggest discrepancy between the two teams at this point is quite possibly coaching.

The Canadians had purpose out there. They were organized and all seemed to by in sync with each other and their coaches.

The Russians, on the other hand, were playing much, much, much less organized and didn't seem in sync at all. It was chaotic, individual play with breakdowns all over the ice. Most of the forwards were terrible defensively and they couldn't generate anything offensively because they didn't change their tactics.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I didn't understand why Semin's hit on Boyle was a penalty. Boyle had possession of the puck and passed it milliseconds (not even 1 full second) prior to the hit. I found nothing wrong with Semin's hit other than it may have been a bit harder than necessary, but it's hockey, not figure curling. :P

USA for the GOLD!

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 24, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Semin was called for high-sticking Crosby before the hit on Boyle according to some other posters. I did see Crosby without his helmet on the replay.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Semin's hit on Boyle is what the Canadians call "finishing your check." Boyle is a total d-bag.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 24, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

It was for the high stick on the golden child.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Did I hear correctly that Milbury said that he doesn't blame Boyle for going after Semin with a dirty slewfoot after Semin put a clean, legal hit on him? And this was after he said the Russians didn't show up with any heart? And the one player he criticized as "average" was Ovie? Did he ever badmouth Nabokov for being hold-your-nose terrible or Malkin for his turnover that led to the Nash goal?

Posted by: cao091402 | February 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Boyle shouldn't be allowed to finish the competition, that's 10 games in NHL, blatant slew foot. The worse part is all the commentators saying Semin's hit was head shot and not cool. YOU PLAY 60 MINS!!! Crosby tried his purse run at Semin just prior to that. I want Semin to hit like that starting March 3rd, good thing is a week of rest for the boys to go after THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!

Posted by: BBDwrestling | February 24, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to put this in caps since for both verification and clarification if it is in fact the case:

SEMIN WAS CALLED FOR HIGH-STICKING CROSBY BEFORE THE HIT ON BOYLE. THERE WAS NO PENALTY GIVEN FOR HIS HIT ON BOYLE.

I wasn't yelling. :)

I just want to make sure this is true since many are still saying he got called for his hit on Boyle.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's a good thing for us Caps fans but I bet those Russians would take Olympic Gold over the Stanley Cup.

Haven't Ovechkin and other said as much?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Milbury should be fire tonight for calling them Euro Trash.

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 24, 2010 10:11 PM
----------------------------
I sent an email to NBC Sports condemning Milbury for that "euro trash" remark. Not that it will do any good, but I just couldn't let that go by without voicing an opinion to Milbury's employers.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 24, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick of Milbury and the rest of the crap commentary that NBC calls "coverage" I will watch the rest of these games with the sound on mute.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 24, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Watching team Russia play should make you more appreciative of the job that Bruce Boudreau has done with the talents of Ovechkin and Semin. The Russian team looked like the Capitals when Glen Hanlon was still coaching them. Totally disorganized, uninspired and misguided use of talents. Go USA!

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 24, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

The hit on Crosby was kinda like the disallowed goal earlier for the US. When the US player(forget who it was) was trying to lift his stick and arms over the Swiss player and the helmet got knocked off.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 24, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Well the commentators said that Semin and Boyle both got minors so it washed both penalties out. That's what I heard at least. It was a little bit confusing, but yes, you are correct that neither team lost their 5th player to a two minute minor. The commentators were awful. Bumbling idiots.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 24, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I also emailed NBC sports about milbury.

Posted by: uncatim | February 24, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

The Russian coach has been a problem all throughout the games. He has made a number of bad decisions - players would be the first one he made that I saw. In this game, why did he bring Nabakov back after that horrible 1st he had? Bryzgalov is at least as good as Nabakov, putting him in MIGHT have given the Russians a chance. And was it just me, or were the KHL guys playing like absolute crap?

Posted by: timmyv38 | February 24, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I hear that in international hockey any hit to the head is an automatic penalty

so when you knock off someone's helmet with a hit, you're pretty much guilty

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@tmac - I think people are talking about the Semin hit more in terms of whether Boyle was justified in retaliating, as opposed to the hit being the basis for Semin's 2 minutes. IMO, retaliation is at least understandable in response to a clearly dirty hit. I don't see how Semin's hit was clearly outside the rules.

Posted by: zmega | February 24, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@cao091402

Unfortunately, you heard correctly. Milbury said Semin's hit was a dangerous and dirty hit.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

If you are upset by Milbury's racist propaganda, you should complain to the FCC. If you go to the FCC website, there is a simple webform for voicing your complaint against NBC's racist commentary.

Posted by: Dcgf05 | February 24, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Horrible game - Russia was totally outplayed. Nabakov stunk. Canada seemed to want it more. By the third, all I was thinking was, now that Russia's finish fon't let any of our Caps get hurt. Then Ovie hurts his hand and Semin goes down in heap on a cheap shot. In Sochi, when Varly is the starter, things will be different.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | February 24, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

@JohnWWW - I think Hanlon is not necessarily a terrible coach, but he was a bad fit for the Caps. He was given the keys to a Ferrari, but he drove it like a UPS delivery truck.

Posted by: zmega | February 24, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

My opinion on why Russia got destroyed:

1) No 3rd or 4th line. Their bottom two lines did nothing. Viktor Kozlov should not have been on the team. While he may be a great guy he is not an olympian. They should have got a grinder or anybody else.

2)No depth on defense. Did Markov play today? After the game I thought, "I don't remember hearing Markov's name at all". Their last D pairings looked lost out there.

3) Bad goaltending/terrible coaching. Nabakov wasn't horrible in the first period since a few of the goals he had no chance at but you could tell his confidence was rattled. It was stupid not to put Bryzgalov in after the 1st to try to spark the team and put a non-rattled goalie in.

4) The superstars played average to bad. Ovie was average at best tonight. Malking was horrible. Kovy and Semin were barely seen. And Datsyuk was average.

5) I also thought it hurt Russia when they kept on circling back when bringing the puck up the ice. The U.S. was good against Canada because they used their speed to get out of the zone and rush. When Russian players circled back it allowed Canada to get set up and ended up making the Russian forwards stand still. They should've dumped and chased some to get the Canadiens out of their defensive posture.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 24, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

I can't see where Semin's hit was outside the rules either. But even if Semin's hit was outside the rules, Boyle's hit was much worse in my opinion.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

how does one email NBC?

Posted by: _stevo | February 24, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

"The Russian coach has been a problem all throughout the games. He has made a number of bad decisions - players would be the first one he made that I saw."

-----------------------------------------------

It's hard to make good decisions and inspire your players when you have a haircut like that.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 24, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

As far as Sochi goes, the Russians need to find an elite coach and they need to start developing some d-men.

Posted by: zmega | February 24, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

It seems that the Russians are the NHL's equivalent of the blacks. More criticized for being different, stylistically. Considered to be "lacking the necessities".

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

They will be showing an interview with Ovie during this first intermission of the Czech/Finland game on CNBC.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 24, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow - Milbury even had to criticize Ovie's answers to the questions. He had the audacity to say "what he (ovie) should have said"! What a tool.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 24, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Intimidated? Let's see how intimidated USA is when they play and beat Canada again.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 24, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

@timmyv38

Yes, there were certainly some horrible decisions made by the Russian coach.

1) Why didn't they pull Nabakov sooner? He had no business starting the 2nd period.

2) When the Russians kicked Semin off their first PP unit, why wasn't he even on their second PP unit? Is he really that much worse than the guys on the second unit, which was a pure KHL unit

3) Yes, the KHL'ers were less than stellar.

It makes us Caps fans appreciate Boudreau all the more. He is a MUCH better coach than Brylov.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

how does one email NBC?

Posted by: _stevo | February 24, 2010 10:42 PM
-----------------------------
stevo: I went to NBCSports.com and scrolled all the way to the bottom and clicked CONTACT US. I don't know who will be the recipient of the email but I hope it goes to someone who matters.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 24, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

HA!!!!!!! This is awesome! I'm glad Canada lost on Friday since now we get to see them steamroll Russia, Sweden and the U.S!

Let's Go Canada, Let's Go!

Posted by: pierrebuz | February 24, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Russians do play a different brand of hockey than Canadians... they refuse to dump the puck in and play more east/west style of hockey than north/south

that style ususually works just fine against the teams with inferior talent but when they're matched up against a team just as talented like the Canadians, they usually lose in these big games

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah and Milbury called OV out saying 2 goals were personally his fault because he did'nt backcheck hard enough. What did OV do to this guy? Pi$$ in his Wheaties or something?

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 24, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

back to the caps... i hope GMGM does not come out with the same statement he made during the trade deadline last year. "don't be surprised if we sit this one out". make us proud GMGM...

Posted by: samb99 | February 24, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

Maybe the Russians should hire Don Bylsma to be their coach. As much as I detest the Penguins, I must admit he's a great coach.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

@tess

thanks

Posted by: _stevo | February 24, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 10:45 PM
______________________________________
Huh??? I guess if you consider defensive mobility a style and not a necessity.

Posted by: pierrebuz | February 24, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 10:45 PM |

Who or What are "the blacks"?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 24, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

In a way I'm kinda glad Greenie did'nt make the team. I would'nt want him associated with that.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 24, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Great game by Team Canada tonight. Russia just couldn't get the puck out of their zone. Although I was cheering for Team Canada, I wore my Ovie jersey and took a lot of abuse for it here in Canada. It was win - win for me. Now to cheer for Nick and Team Sweden.

Posted by: bigschu8 | February 24, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

pierrebuz

Shouldn't you be busy "standing on guard for thee?"

The US will put wimpy Canada (AKA America Junior) in their place, yet again, and there won't be any open liquor stores in Vancouver to drown your sorrows and embarrassment.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 24, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman95

On Green, join the club.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe in Sochi Carlson will replace Orprick and I can feel more enthusiastic about supporting Team USA. (I think someone may have made this point previously.)

Posted by: zmega | February 24, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Does it surprise anyone how bad kovalchuck has looked after his trade. he has not scored goals, does not play defense, does not hit. not much of a game changer.

Posted by: samb99 | February 24, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm emailing my Milbury complaints to:
FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn: Mignon.Clyburn@fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Meredith Attwell Baker: Meredith.Baker@fcc.gov

and CC: nbcsports@nbcuni.com

Posted by: StopCryingEnjoy | February 24, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman95

On Green, join the club.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 11:01 PM |

Ah, I see you saw that comment. It was just after my comment. Perhaps you can comment?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 10:45 PM |

Who or What are "the blacks"?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 24, 2010 10:56 PM |

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 24, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Stop getting so riled up about Milbury, this man is an announcer for a living, he is not an educated man to begin with he will say stupid things on occasion, pity him if you must, then move on, Boyle is on the same boat. You cannot expect any of them to think and make decisions the way you do. Unless the person in question is a successful coach (a real time short-term tactician) or a successful GM (turn based long-term tactician) or one of those rare players who also holds a degree, they probably have half your IQ.

Posted by: OVIwankanOVI | February 24, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm not really surprised by the outcome. The Russian team is really not very good. You've got Ovi, Semin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Volchenkov, and Gonchar plus some decent goalies. Half of those guys don't play anything resembling defense. Beyond that core group, Russia's team is basically 3rd-line talent. Canada's team is first-line talent top to bottom.

The US team is not as talented as Canada but they have a very complete team that plays well together. I think the US takes the gold.

We can all agree that Milbury is a giant tool, but that nasal-voiced Canadian-homer play-by-play guy bugs me a million times more.

Posted by: butcherbaker | February 24, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts-

RUSSIAN HOCKEY = STUBBORN HOCKEY
North American Hockey will always have a better chance to win, when two teams are equally skilled. NA system is about high percentage plays, physical play, and minimizing turnovers. It is the fault of the Russian Hockey System that they have not learned this yet. Canada altered their game many years ago to keep up with the Russians, now its time for Russia to learn from the Canadians. I'm saying this and I am Russian. I have no problems admitting North/South and a KISS system trumps an East/West system, and that's not just in Hockey.

- People can bring up Detroit, but Detroit had great 3rd and 4th line Canadian style players. Maybe last couple years they had more Sweeds, but the majority of the time, a simple system wins out in a contact, fast sport like this.

- KHL'ers were badly outplayed

- I want to like Canadians, but when I hear the bias commentating, I can't help but get angry. If a Canadian player makes a play, its interprited one way. If a Europian player, but especialy a Russian player makes the same play, its considered Euro Trash, dirty, and not 'the way the game should be played'. Its rediculous. American sports wouldn't tolerate this. Can you imagine during a Football game, they commented about how black quarterbacks vs white quarterbacks should be playing?

- I thought Datskuk got out muscled. He still fights through it, but he was on the ice a lot.

- OVi wasn't at his best, neither was Crosby.

- Russian coaching was terrible. They didn't play well as a team, period.

Posted by: floms | February 24, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Milbury works for NBC and the last time I checked this isn't part of Europe

I'm a fan of F1 racing and if you think that's in bad taste, you should hear what some of the "racing elite" in Europe think about American racing, our drivers and cars in general

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Milbury's 'Eurotrash' slur would be inappropriate for an NHL broadcast.

Given that it was made during an Olympic broadcast, it was a grossly inappropriate violation of the spirit of the Olympic Games.

I realize he is Canadian and is prone to rooting for the home team. I don't object to that - he's human, but for an NBC representative to utter a derogatory slur like that during an Olympic broadcast is is an abomination that cannot be overlooked.

Posted by: grackle5 | February 24, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Milbury, believe it or not, is American - but he's still a tool. I much prefer J.R. - give him a solo gig.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | February 24, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

@zmega
Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010
--------

Dan Bylsma

Posted by: Dalliquippa | February 24, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

If you just Google "Milbury Euro Trash", you will see that Milbury may get more than he bargained for with his comments.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 24, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Semin's hit looked clean to me. Just stunned #28 was checking someone.

Boyle should be suspended for one game for his retaliatory slewfoot.

Milbury can speak about the Russian team having no heart, since he's the most qualified on that subject, right?

Posted by: Cerealman | February 24, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

@Dalliquippa

Okay, I can't spell Bylsma's first name.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

To the Canadians who have come to post here--sorry but I will always be rooting for team USA and for any team playing against Canada. Hope you have been posting your rants on more boards than this one as the Russian team was composed of more players than just Ovi and Sasha. Nabby should have been pulled. They might have had a chance but after the two soft ones early in the second period it just sucked the life out of the Russians. As for the slewfoot debacle I think Boyle was retaliating for Semin's hit which was clean but a bit late. The penalty was for the highsticking. What I didn't understand was why JR agreed with Milbury that it was okay for Boyle to do that. I got the impression that they thought the penalty was for the hit. Tacky way to end the game and I hope that Semin brings his physicality back to the Caps. Me want to hit Boyle some more!!!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 24, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

@LloydChristmas

The Semin detractors were still saying that Semin's play in the Olympics was a failure. Granted he didn't have the greatest series. But he had two assists in there, against Latvia and against the Czechs. Not a total fail.

The folks on Japers are generally critical of Semin but they actually defended his hit today and agreed that it wasn't dirty.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 24, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

I would love for Carlson to replace Orprick for the US in the Sochi Olympics. (Assuming he even gets to go.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 25, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Here we go round the Milbury Bush
The Milbury Bush the Milbury Bush
Here we go round the Milbury Bush
So early in the morning.

Appropriate song for Milbury who is bush league.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 25, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

@Cerealman

That Milbury comment was a good one.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 25, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

As for Milbury I'm never surprised by his tasteless remarks but he is reaching--or should I say bending--to a new low with his Eurotrash remark. Makes me want the other European teams like--oh say--Sweden, do a little stomping of the Canadians. I may actually write a letter of complaint to NBC.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 25, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

Why dont you just respond to my question? Surely you know I am not going anywhere.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 25, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

picking on Semin is kinda ridiculous... funny how Ovie is getting a free pass for the blowout loss

he's the best player who was invisible for the most part in the game so pick on someone who really deserves to be criticized

Posted by: joek443 | February 25, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

sami lepisto makes it to the quarterfinals - flash does not

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 25, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

flash ovi semin varly coming home. backstrom only one left.

Posted by: samb99 | February 25, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan75

Japers has an excellent fanshot discussing with stats of course just how excellent Semin has been this season.

I don't think either Ovi or Sasha had great Olympics just some moments. I will always remember the hit on Jagr for example. But I think they were trying to play in their coach's system which just wasn't effective. He didn't move Ovi out to the sides on the pp until late in this game and not in any earlier games that I recall. It's like he thought Ovi was his only net crasher which in a way he was. But it certainly not the best use of his skill set.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 25, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the Czech coach makes a really bad decision pulling Vokoun for the extra attacker with over 1:30 left and not really having great puck possession in the Finland zone...Finland promptly gets the puck and puts in the empty-netter. Kiprusoff and that defense are pretty darn good, though they can't score.

Should be quite the defensive matchup with Miller vs Kiprusoff...

GO USA!!!

Posted by: JDintheSD | February 25, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

make that *semifinals*

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 25, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

Its despicable when poster can't back up his/her comments.

I am here when you are ready.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 25, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Wow so I googled Milbury Eurotrash. He may have gotten more than he bargained for. Good. Now I will write in complaint. Diissing an entire continent is not cool and not in the Olympic spirit. I'm trying to imagine Scotty Hamilton talking smack about the European figure skaters. Nope can't imagine it.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 25, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

way to stink up the joint when your country needed you the most, Munchkin. did you break a nail during the game?

what's so special about Semin? his bongo playing and cheap cross checks in the biggest game of his career.

when the lights shine the brightest, the Capitals wilt under the pressure. so what else is new?

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 25, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

@joek443

No one is giving Ovie a break. He had a bad game, but the entire team had a bad game. So much so that many Russian players actually played worse than Ovie. I know he is the star and gets most of the praise in victory when sometimes it should be spread around more, but anyone pinning the loss on him is wrong. It was a team-wide disaster not just Ovie.

@wtf_e_fehr

I took the CapsFan75 comment to mean that it seems a lot of Canadian writers and hockey broadcasters will say any time a Russian player makes a mistake or is involved with a loss that the Russians are "too flashy and don't have enough heart, and don't play how the game is supposed to be played" and all that other nonsense when very different comments would be said if a Canadian player did the same.

I took it as CapsFan75 analogizing it to about 20 years ago when a lot of white writers and sportscasters would take a similar approach to African American athletes in basketball and football. If an African American made a mistake or was involved in a loss it was because they "were too flashy, didn't play with enough heart, and didn't play the game how it is supposed to be played" and all that nonsense when they would say completely different things about the white players who did the same thing.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 25, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

JR is a character.

At least he admits, "He needs education".

He needs to hook up with Locker...

"HOLD IT HERE"

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 25, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

@puckheaded1

To whom are you directing your remarks? This wasn't a Caps game and if you are a Pens troll remember that Malkin was also on that team. There is plenty of blame to spread around. And across a lot of teams.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 25, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Semin was mediocre but Kovalchuk was just plain bad, the entire tournament. I cant help but feel he thinks he can get a free pass because OV is on the team, so he doesnt need to do anything himself.

hey Ilya! When Ovechkin is not on the ice he DOES NOT F&*KEN EXIST in your world and what he will or will not do should not be occupying your mind! When you are on the ice you are the only god damn superstar left wing of this team and you better play like the one and only god damn superstar left wing of this team.

Posted by: OVIwankanOVI | February 25, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

HOW DID BOYLE NOT GET A GAME MISCONDUCT? Are the rules about intentional slew foots completely different in international play?

Posted by: butcherbaker | February 25, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Did anybody see the Ovie interview on afer the 1st period of the Czech/Finland game?

If so, what did he say?

Posted by: sgm3 | February 25, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 25, 2010 12:32 AM |

Hey cu nt - "your country?" last I heard the indians were here first u eff !n immigrant.

Semin is world calds player not a thug likethat tampa bay b! tch boyle.

Go back sucking your mom's tit boy.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 25, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Semin and Munchkin aren't Capitals?

Malkin wins with Crosby. Malkin loses with Munchkin.

Hmmmmm

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 25, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

With all due respect I am still looking for a response from the poster...

CapsFan75

...but thanks

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 25, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Munchkin should just change his number from 8 to 88... since he's like Lindros, can't perform in a big game or win anything

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 25, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Semin and Munchkin aren't Capitals?
Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 25, 2010 12:52 AM |

Looked @ the roster there is no munchkin on the caps.
Keep sucking cu nt.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 25, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Signs that Pens fans are insecure--needing to come on a Caps message board to trash talk the Russian team when there are Pens players on that team as well.

Sad really, but I guess with their limited mental capacity, that's all that keeps them occupied.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 25, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 25, 2010 12:54 AM |

& the team just bare backed your fuzzy Mom, what's your point?

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 25, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Penguins wont do jack this year, guaranteed. Penguins live and die by Malkin, when Malkin is on they storm the regular season and win the playoffs. Last year Malkin overshadowed Cindi in the regular season, won the art ross, overshadowed him in the playoffs, won playoff mvp, Malkin was great, Pens were great, pens won the cup. Cindi did nothing before and after the caps series, that didn't slow the Pens down.

This Cindi is tied for the lead in goals, top 5 in points, but Malkin is mediocre and so the Penguins are Mediocre.

What kind of leader has absolutely no effect on his team? The same kind that lives in someone else's basement.

Posted by: OVIwankanOVI | February 25, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

LOL at puckhead...you know your beloved Malkin and Gonchar are Russians right? And last time I checked, Ovechkin wasn't the goalie...did he give up 7 goals?

Trent Dilfer won the Super Bowl because of an awesome Ravens defense...guess he's better than Dan Marino. Marino was a terrible QB apparently.

Hockey is a team sport...and revenge for the Caps is coming this year. They own the Pens this year!

Posted by: JDintheSD | February 25, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

SWEDEN IS IN TROUBLE!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 25, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

if any of you could read, wasn't trash talking the Russians, just Munchkin and Semin, who both DISAPPEARED in the biggest game of their careers (yet again, after Game 7 of the playoffs last year). I mean, Gonchar scored a goal, so he made a small impact.

Leaders like Crosby will their team to victory. Munchkin just racks up points during the regular season against the Carolinas, Atlantas, Tampa Bays, Floridas of the world...

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 25, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

...um...NOT ANYMORE!

;)

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 25, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmm Gonchar's a defenseman and they gave up 7 goals...what was his +/- considering his goal was on the PP? Malkin was even more invisible than most, the whole team stunk.

Who is this Munchkin character you speak of? I know that Alex Ovechkin leads the league in scoring with a +43 and has 7 games in hand. The Caps have also to this point, played more games against each the Atlantic and Northeast division than their own. In fact, only 19 of Ovie's 89 points have been against the Southeast division. But thanks for playing...

Posted by: JDintheSD | February 25, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

"Leaders like Cindi will their team to victory"

Funny how that only seems to work when Malkin is putting up the points at the same time, so whats going on this year? Not enough will to will with from Cindi?

Posted by: OVIwankanOVI | February 25, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

only Caps fans trumpet the regular season like it actually means something. which it doesn't.

when the chips are down and it's time to win something, Crosby advances.

Ovechkin/Munchkin.... goes home... again

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 25, 2010 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Ah but logic with a Pens troll doesn't work. I actually felt bad for Gonch and Geno especially after his turnover that led to a goal. And for both goalies, especially Nabby. And for Kovy. It's strange how players have constantly shifting alliances. They really do need to leave it on the ice. Relationships off the ice are I imagine much different.

Well I hope Seden pulls through. Don't think I can stay awake for the end.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 25, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmm Dan Boyle said that Semin's hit was probably clean and that he lost his head a little on the slew foot...what's that you say Milbury? Oh that's right he was simply finishing his check! Oh and I e-mailed NBC and the FCC as well, everybody's doing it so do it, do it.

Was looking bad for Sweden but looks like an awesome 3rd period ahead...thankfully Milbury went home with Cindi apparently cuz it was only JR at the intermission...

Posted by: JDintheSD | February 25, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

when the chips are down and it's time to win something, Crosby advances.
Ovechkin/Munchkin.... goes home... again
Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 25, 2010 1:36 AM |

Only a pittsturder would come on another team board & speak like this is the NHL playoff.
Ha, funny how last year is last year.

ps - your mom just got ram roaded again.
go acquire some immune deficiency & a job you immigrant.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 25, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JDintheSD | February 25, 2010 1:40 AM |

Heard that also. Fact of the matter is they came out for 60 minutes of bumping (including that trolling pittsturder's mother) & got it done.
Boyle should get suspended for his action & not sure what drugs JR is on tonite.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 25, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

I agree Rocco, Canada was the better team, just ticks me off that Crysby had 0 points on the scoresheet but Ovie gets a lot of the blame though it was a total team meltdown.

Wow, Backstrom gets blatantly and clearly cross-checked on the PP and no call...but he has again looked awesome.

Posted by: JDintheSD | February 25, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Russian coaching was really bad tactically and the team didnt come out working hard enough. The passing was also really bad, too many good wingers. They came out really flat when i expected them to be a bit more motivated after the slovakia game.

semin was invisible (sort of) in the previous games but not this one. opposite for ovechkin. something was off, has to be somethign with the coaching, he was a bit lazy and wasnt playing with his usual "joy". but i loved that semin showed his heart (good sign for us). crosby wasnt very good either (hasnt been all olympics) but the other canadians stepped up and bought in (reminded me of the US against Canadia).

boyle should have gotten a game misconduct plain and simple.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | February 25, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Saw that with Backstrom. I thought it should have been a penalty, too.

Looks like D I C K head's mommy must have made him go to bed.

Posted by: dfe1 | February 25, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

yep that's right, the regular season means absolutely nothing, you should therefore - by your own logic - not watch a single NHL game and not post comments on or read any blogs/news pieces relating to the NHL from Oct through April. You should take your own advice immediately, bb.

Posted by: OVIwankanOVI | February 25, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Best link I've seen so far for those of you that didn't see the aftermath...

Sweet pass by Backstrom to get this game back within one goal...his contract keeps inching upward...4-3 now...

Posted by: JDintheSD | February 25, 2010 1:58 AM | Report abuse

everyone is coming home to practice

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 25, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Bondra/Zednick/Jurcina versus Gustafsson/Backstrom. wow, lovin the old guys giving their all.

Could Slovakia be able to beat the 3 best teams in the world? I really hope they medal (unless the US loses to finland), theyve had some bad luck the past few olympics.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | February 25, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Wow best game of the day, Backstrom almost saves the day for Sweden but it looks like most of us are now Slovakia fans on Friday. At least there is the Peter Bondra connection...

Posted by: JDintheSD | February 25, 2010 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Everyone coming home on the same plane. Hopefully this will add even more motivation now.

Posted by: lightshow | February 25, 2010 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Do you think the "Eurotrash" comment will motivate Ovechkin?

Posted by: dboz1970 | February 25, 2010 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Honestly? I am Canadian and watched the game on Sportsnet, but did Milbury actually say Eurotrash? I was cheering for Canada (sorry it's my heritage) but if he actually said that then he is a bigger idiot than I thought

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 25, 2010 2:54 AM | Report abuse

Sigh...

Well, Backstrom was awesome all tournament.

At least all the Caps seem to have made it out healthy although Ovechkin got hit in the hand, Semin got slew-footed and Backstrom got run head-first into the boards in their final games. I missed the last two Czech games but I assume nothing happened to Flash.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 25, 2010 3:12 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay,

Can the insider block Roc00's posts? His language is atrocious.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 25, 2010 4:09 AM | Report abuse

Hello, guys,

It was 3:30 AM in Moscow, but lots of people decided not to sleep, only to see the epic fail of russian team.
It hurts like hell, but obviously, the victory was more important to canadians and they wanted it more.
I have to admit, that Babcock made a great move cooling down the game in the 3rd period (0:0). Something bad was about to happen (with Malkin's hit to smbdy on the bench, hit on Staal etc), so stopping that humiliation was a good idea - saved energy for the next game and probably prevented injuries.
I see, that there were a lot of mistakes done by Bykov when preparing to the game
1)skipping practice on the day before,
2)low TOI for the leaders,
3)low experience of 3rd KHL line on small rinks
4)lack of movement without the puck
5)Defence was not ready for canadians forecheck
However, you might have better ideas (especially after US great performance against Canada) - what was so wrong with the russian team, that lead to such an EPIC fail? I mean, technical mistakes, that could be avoided, not just overall morale level.

Posted by: Michael01a | February 25, 2010 5:29 AM | Report abuse

-------
come on, you know that's something Cindy does..

Note to puckheaded- Sidney was ineffective and was basically invisible last night. All the other stars won that game for canada, I didn't even know he was on the ice. And what did Sidney do in game 7 of the red wings series? oh yeah NOTHING.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 25, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Thabks for posting a better, more articulate explanation of my thoughts than I was able to do last night

@wft_fehr

sgm3 explained my position so well. Too many times, I hear so many criticisms of Russian players that sound so stereotypical that are analogous to criticisms of blacks in previous generations.

In any case, it was an epic fail by Team Russia last night.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 25, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Reasonable notes from north of the border-

Hopefully the NBC commentators are noting the obvious- if Crosby were any less visible he'd be on a milk carton (and I mean the entire tournament). He actually checked someone last night, which might have been the first useful thing he's done during clock time of a game so far. Giving him an iota of credit is laughable. I know I'm supposed to laud Crosby for having a great game, and when he actually has a good game in the Olympics I'll get right on that, but he was putrid against the Swiss, invisible against the USA, and should have been given 4th line minutes last night.

Russia...complete disaster from top to bottom last night. Bringing the KHL defencemen over (who were out of their league by 10 miles- maybe in Sochi on the bigger ice surface they'll be fine, but on an NHL rink they were dire). Blaming Ovechkin is akin to blaming the stickboy. Nabokov was awful beyond words. That was a team loss from the GM/President all the way down (because the decision to bring a bunch of KHL players proved to be a disaster).

Posted by: jcurrin | February 25, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm emailing my Milbury complaints to:
FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn: Mignon.Clyburn@fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Meredith Attwell Baker: Meredith.Baker@fcc.gov

and CC: nbcsports@nbcuni.com

Posted by: StopCryingEnjoy | February 24, 2010 11:07 PM

Thanks for posting this. I think everyone reading this should do the same. Time for that guy to go.

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 25, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Michael01a... I personally think there is only one reason they lost. They were physically dominated other then maybe Ovechkin and #6.

It looked like a mans team beating up on a high school team.

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 25, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao
_________________________________________

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 25, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

The better team won last night. Russia looked average in the run-up to their being crushed by Canada. Russia assumed too much in these games. that said, GO USA!!!!

Posted by: doughless | February 25, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

To Mike4169
-------------------------------------------
>>I personally think there is only one reason they lost. They were physically dominated other then maybe Ovechkin and #6.
-------------------------------------------

Yes, it's the outcome - they were physically dominated. But why? They were neither exhausted (rest+ TOI>20min in NHL comparing to ~14min in this game) nor have any troubles with physical play in NHL or lack of experience.

Posted by: Michael01a | February 25, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

It wasn't really that they physically dominated. Well, they somewhat did, but that's not why they won. The biggest change in Canada's game was that they were so aggressive in every zone and didn't give the Russians any time. The defence was also playing so aggressive in the neutral zone that it was almost dangerous but paid off. Nearly every pass across the ice was intercepted because the Canadian defence were expecting the Russians to try a pass to the opposite wing and stepped in to intercept. They were really well prepared and had done great scouting on Russia's style of play and you could see it by the number of neutral zone turnovers. The players definitely played well, but Russia was also really outcoached.

Posted by: Stu_c | February 25, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse