Posted at 5:57 PM ET, 12/20/2010

Alex Ovechkin is memorable

By Lindsay Applebaum

This week's "Year in Sports" issue of Sports Illustrated comes out Wednesday, and it features a photo essay on the year's 10 most memorable athletes -- including Caps star Alex Ovechkin -- by longtime sports photographer Walter Iooss Jr.

Of Ovechkin, Iooss said: "I wanted to shoot Ovechkin because of his face. It's perfect for a photographer, one of those can't-miss faces."

(Yeah, we know.)

The other athletes on the list are Manny Pacquiao, Shaun White, Landon Donovan, Kim Yu-Na, Drew Brees, Dustin Johnson, Kevin Durant and Kelly Slater. For some reason, the 10th name was left off in the email from SI, so apologies in advance if it ends up being Sidney Crosby.

Update: It's Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | December 20, 2010; 5:57 PM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Despite relief of ending slump, Caps 'can't just relax right now'
Next: Mathieu Perreault still seeking consistency

Comments

hey first one!

@cstanton01,@sgm3 - you guys crack me up (in a good way)

from CS: > (earlier post)

Notice how the Flyers are trying to be the Caps this year? Zherdev and Lieno both getting prominent roles? It's surprising...they've become a lot softer (roster wise) but it's working for them...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 20, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

He was memorable because his team did another choke job in the playoffs and also in the Olympics??

What exactly do they mean by memorable???

Posted by: joek443 | December 20, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Per the last 100 or so threads:

anyone else think that vermont caps is Erskine's mom?

Posted by: capscoach | December 20, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

anyone else think that vermont caps is Erskine's mom?

Posted by: capscoach | December 20, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

As long as I've got to associate myself with fans like you, capscoach, I'll do whatever it takes. (And I look good whether you dress me male or female, thank you very much)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 20, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I bet Erskine's mom plays better D than Poti.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 20, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedLitYogi |

Posted by: RedLitYogi |

respectfully disagree, at least sort of. Adding Jody Shelley and Sean O'Donnell (and Matt Walker who is currently hurt) has certainly not made em softer. They've lost Asham and Lappy. But overall they're still a tough team to play against. And JVR is skating with a little more umph in his game this yr as well. Darrol Powe is now also a fixture in the lineup whereas last yr he was fighting for a roster spot around this time. But the guy who has really stepped up his physical game this yr is Mesjaros. He's hitting like he's never hit before.

If I had to choose I'd still take the Pens grit over the Flyer grit. But if there's any dropoff this yr with Philly, its minimal.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 20, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Slater is the man. 10 time world champion. He's maybe the best athlete in his sport in the world, ever, and most of the world doesn't have a clue as to who he is.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 20, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

And if you, capscoach, or anyone else here can get word to #4 JOHNNY E: tell him that he's got a fan here in me, as I'm sure he'd appreciate knowing someone recognizes his true value. Maybe if he read my posts it'd inspire him to even greater heights :)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 20, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

We got to the game in Boston a little behind schedule, so no chance to find Joe B. and Locker to try to convey a message (I had it on paper). It got me thinking about Locker, and boy I'd love to see any one of Locker, Haworth, Adams, and Duchesne on this team.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 20, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

what is so funny is that I am pretty sure almost everyon here likes Erskine (including me!) You keep preaching to the choir!

Posted by: capscoach | December 20, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

I think almost everyone (including me) likes #4! You r preaching to the choir. It is just funny how hyper focused u r!

Posted by: capscoach | December 20, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I certainly like JohnnyE.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 20, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

@SeminAllOvertheIce from like 5 threads ago

Yeah, it's semi-true. However, we don't have bus stops up here in Canada. A big zamboni comes and gets everyone, and it's operated by Crosby's father.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 20, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Time will tell if people will share the same outrage when #4 is kicked to the curb. That said, you obviously didn't read the posts and just chose to focus on my responses. I didn't bring up #4, sgm3 made it clear he'll have to battle to keep his spot once ****55 returns (not that anyone shouldn't have to battle for their spot, but that just hasn't been the case, nor will it ever be, w/BB the coach).

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 20, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Knowing that the odds or winning one hockey game, just by the nature of the sport, is never that great, I put money on the Habs.
------------------
Good grief! That series loss was all on sgm3 and all along we thought it was JM figuring out BB's system .....et al.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 20, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

---------------
I thought everybody up there cross-country skis everywhere - even in the summer.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 20, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

You know, once I went to a Caps practice at Kettler and was sitting in the stands minding my own business when JohnnyE skated towards me giving me the evil eye (maybe he thought I was some kind of scout for another team or something) then he kind of veered off and in doing so, spat on the ice. Fortunately, he wasn't chewing tobacco at the time.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 20, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Man...Pitt is beating the tar out of Pheonix! Stupid desert hockey!

Posted by: capscoach | December 20, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

geez! it was a joke...somebody needs a hug! also...I said per last 100 or so threads, so it wasn't based on one comment

and...while u may be right about what BB will do, I will choose to wait until BB actually does something before I rip him for it...but that's just me.

Posted by: capscoach | December 20, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Fla is bringing it 2 Philly...at least one game is going my way 2nite.

Posted by: capscoach | December 20, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

Posted by: capscoach | December 20, 2010 8:36 PM

too much goats blood can have that effect :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 20, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Cap'n: Goat's blood and Kool-Aid btw are like matter and anti-matter.

"Spock! Spock! What...is...that?!"
"That, Captain, if you're referring to the 'blob' on the main view screen, is an interstellar reservoir of Kool-Aid."
"But...how, Spock? How!?"
Spock raises eyebrow. "Unknown, sir."
"Capteen! Ve are now registering an alien creeture matching our course and speed!"
"Chekov! Get ahold of yourself, man!"
Spock looks up from sensor. "Captain, I've just run Mr. Chekov's 'creeture' through the computer. I can put it on the screen."
"Do it, Spock."
A giant headless animal appears on the viewer. Uhura screams. Sulu recoils. Spock again arches an eyebrow.
"It's a goat, Captain, and it's dripping blood."
"Goat's blood? And Kool-Aid? Spock!"
"Yes, Captain?"
"Do you remember from your early 21st century studies?"
"Indeed, Captain. If that goat's blood should somehow come into contact with that Kool-Aid..."
"The end of everything."
Uhura screams again.
"Spock! There's only one solution to save the Universe!"
"Sir! You don't mean!?"
"Yes, I DO mean!"
Kirk pounds on the arm of his command chair. "Captain to Engineering!"
"Aye, sir."
"Scotty...I need you to...activate the Boudreau device."
"Sir...Cap'n...but...but..."
Spock taps keys at his console. A round, moon-face appears on the main viewer. "Sir, this is Bruce Boudreau, once coach of the Washington Capitals."
Kirk buries his face in his hands. "I know, Spock. Once unleashed, the Boudreau device has only one mode - Attack!"
Spock nods grimly. "Yes, sir."
"But it's humanity's only hope."
"Logical, sir."

Tune in tomorrow to find out if the Boudreau Device can save the Universe, or does it get clogged and ensnared in the Jacques Martin time warp!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 20, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach
@captkirk

What'll happen is:

As soon as ****55 returns, #4 will be sent to the pressbox until when we play "physical" teams (can't have #3,23's salary wasting away upstairs). BB will insert DJK to compensate for the loss of fistic punch. A few games will go by, and BB will start to use DJK less and less. Before you know it, Hendricks and Bradley will be all we have to protect some of the greatest players on the planet.

People will talk about "team" toughness and point to Ovi, Laich, Green, Chimera and Hannan (?). Those same people will be quick to point out that "there's no fighting" in the playoffs. BB buys into that philosophy, and we'll be heading into the playoffs only Hendricks/Hannan stronger than last year's team.

Of course, this train-wreck can be avoided if GMGM would only pull the plug on BB. (A coworker of mine, a Bruins fan who doesn't follow either the Pens or Caps told me this about 24/7: Bylsma is an intense man, and he seems able to motivate and inspire; a real professional. The Caps coach? He seemed, well, how does anyone on the team take him serious after awhile?.....I haven't seen the program and doubt I will, but I definitely take his account of it as fact).

If we have an uninspiring game tomorrow night (win or lose) and then get embarrassed by Pitt, BB will have to go!

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 20, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

'As soon as ****55 returns, #4 will be sent to the pressbox until when we play "physical" teams'

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 20, 2010 11:26 PM

you can't possibly know this. it may be possible, even probable - but it is not fact.

i don't understand why you attack schultz for something BB might do. i'm aware that you don't care for how schultz plays - but as a pairing - no one that caps have on d plays better with green.

i agree with BB's statement that ice time should be based on merit - we'll have to wait until everyone is healthy to find out how it goes or if he was just talking out of his f'in *ss :D

but i am with you on - erskine deserves a sweater based on how he has played so far this year.

if you could choose one d man - based on their play so far this year - who would you have as esskay's partner in the press box?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 20, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

@captkirk

Hannan or Poti (I liked Fahey more than either of them, quite frankly)....and I wouldn't be opposed to them, ****55, Sloan and one of Carlson/Alzner being used as tradebait to upgrade either the d, center, or add someone like david clarkson or chris neil.

i'm turning in....goodnight

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 21, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

That's funny because I wanna shoot Crosby in the face.

(not really please do not arrest me)

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 21, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 20, 2010 11:26 PM

By the time 55 comes back there will be 3 more Dmen hurt so Erskine can stay on the ice unless he is one of the three. Just kidding, but not really.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 21, 2010 4:05 AM | Report abuse