Posted at 1:23 PM ET, 01/ 6/2011

Alex Ovechkin needed cortisone shot, expected to practice Friday

By Katie Carrera

Alex Ovechkin received a cortisone shot on an undisclosed area following the Capitals' 1-0 overtime loss to Tampa Bay on Tuesday and has been prohibited from handling the puck for two days, which was why he wore the gold no-contact jersey in practice this morning, according to Coach Bruce Boudreau. Ovechkin is expected to participate fully in practice on Friday, Boudreau said.

"I'm going to be OK," Ovechkin said after the skate. "Bruce gave me some skating, no puck handling, nothing. He told me just [to] be relaxing and ready for Saturday."

Asked if there was any concern about his injury, Ovechkin replied: "It's not an injury."

Boudreau said he believed that it may have been a lingering problem.

"I don't know. It's probably been awhile for him to get a cortisone shot," Boudreau said, before addressing whether it has limited the Washington captain. "I don't know. I couldn't tell you. I'll find it maybe on this weekend if it's worked or what."

--Boudreau said Matt Hendricks, who skated with strength and conditioning coach Mark Nemish prior to practice, also received a cortisone shot but is also expected to practice on Friday.

--Mathieu Perreault had "some things fixed" on his face, presumably repairs to the broken nose he suffered Dec. 26 against Carolina. Perreault mentioned last week that he would need surgery.

By Katie Carrera  | January 6, 2011; 1:23 PM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin, Injuries, Mathieu Perreault, Matt Hendricks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin wearing no-contact jersey
Next: George McPhee's impression of the Winter Classic and completed '24/7' series

Comments

glad it is nothing too serious! Would love to see him get his game back soon. I bet the frustration is eating at him.

Posted by: capscoach | January 6, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

How to explain that Pens - Bolts game last night??

I did not see it, but 8-1? The Bolts must have, well, shot their bolt with us.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | January 6, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

It's no surprise that a rested team with the last 4 days off going up against a team that played a grinder the night before would be slanted in the energy department.

Add on top of that Malkin jumping the back lane on the opening faceoff of the game and faking Roloson out of his mind and scoring? We wore them out physically and Pittsburgh followed up with the mental attack 7 seconds in.

Posted by: dimagus | January 6, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, anyone wonder if in Ovie's fight he may have hurt his hand? He was icing it in one of the 24/7 episodes as well. Would make sense for the shot and the not participating in puck handling drills.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 6, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like tendonitis. I am scheduled for a cortisone shot tomorrow for shoulder tendonitis, and I am not looking forward to it one bit.

Posted by: zmega | January 6, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

That could also be a torn labrum for Ovie as they tried cortizone shots on my shoulder twice before finally turning to surgery to fix it. It would help for about a month and then hurt like heck again, he may be attempting to delay surgery till postseason.

Posted by: PhilR | January 6, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I heard all the players were given penicillin shots too. But that's probably because they spent New Year's weekend in Pittsburgh. Quite frankly, Im kind of surprised that the CDC didnt quarantine the team upon returning.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 6, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 6, 2011 2:34 PM

Oh, SAOTI, you are soooooo bad...

Like I said before: you're a sick man...Funny, but sick

XD

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 6, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

zmega: A shoulder cortisone shot is no deal at all. You won't even notice. I let my four year old daughter watch me get mine. The check into the boards that caused the problem was vastly more painful.

How about the ratings for the WC? Whether a Caps/Pens/Red Wings/Coyotes fan... what a great day for hockey.

Posted by: penscapsNOTarivalry | January 6, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely not a big deal getting a shoulder cortisone shot, I agree didn't feel either one at all and it certainly did help the pain I was in.

Posted by: PhilR | January 6, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say a cortisone shot in the shoulder is nothing. They fill your arm up pretty good with fluid, rather uncomfortable.

But oh, the sweet, sweet relief of cured tendinitis is right around the corner.

I eagerly awaited my second cortisone shot when I got tendinitis in the other shoulder.

Posted by: bflorhodes | January 6, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

someone needs to get off the meds!!

Posted by: doughless | January 6, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I've gotten a few cortisone shots in different joints and it was uncomfortable but, no real pain. Maybe a shoulder is different. I know alot of people complain whenever he isn't on the ice but, a few days working without a stick may help Ovie.
How many days do you think Cindy Crysby would complain about the pain if he got a cortisone shot?

Posted by: chriscaps | January 6, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

@zmega (and others)

There had been the theory that Ovi had initially gotten slashed in the wrist in the Nashville game back in October. Note: his productivity has not been the same since.

He (and the team) probably would have been better served by going to the doctor and getting treatment. It sounds like he may have a similar injury to what dogged Semin last year (and, no coincidence, Semin was not doing well while trying to play through that injury).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 6, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Didnt Ovie get slashed really badly in the Russia Canada Hockey game at the Vancouver Olympics last year? Any shot this could be a lingerer from that long ago...

Posted by: jlarranaga | January 6, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Torn labrum?????!!! When was the last time and NHL player had a torn labrum??? You dont get that from a check into the boards. I played college baseball and torn labrum come from an overhand motion with the shoulder not a concuss impact. Perhaps if someone wrenched his arm in an unusual way it might happen, but it is a very very very rare injury in hockey and even football. Once in a while in basketball when a player gets his arm caught in an overhead position and has is yanked or pulled. Most likely this is an issue with his hand or wrist.

Posted by: opticlguy | January 7, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse