Posted at 3:58 PM ET, 01/18/2011

Alex Ovechkin: NHL All-Star game captains 'deserve it'

By Lindsay Applebaum

After the NHL announced the uncontroversial picks of Carolina's Eric Staal and Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom for All-Star game captains, Capitals winger Alex Ovechkin said he was happy with the outcome.

"I think they deserve it, especially Staal," Ovechkin said. The game will be played Jan. 30 at RBC Center in Raleigh, so "it's like hometown for [Staal], and he deserve it, so that's nice."

The league's 42 All-Stars voted to determine the captains, who will then pick two alternate captains each before taking turns drafting the 36 remaining players through 18 rounds on Jan. 28.

Asked if he would have liked to be a captain, Ovechkin laughed and said, "It's pretty tough" to have to pick teams. "It's probably kind of what you don't want to be" doing.

While he doesn't know which team he'll be on yet, Ovechkin said he does have an idea of where he'll be drafted:

"They're probably gonna pick me, like, late in the first round," he joked.

Video is here:

By Lindsay Applebaum  | January 18, 2011; 3:58 PM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin, All-Star Game
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Post Sports Live: Caps hit the road
Next: Open thread: Capitals at Flyers

Comments

Does anyone think that perhaps the Wash Post will have a live chat tonight. Wouldn't that be great. Go CAPS.

Posted by: instinct227 | January 18, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Nice comments coming from Ovi, and coupled with BB's decision to play DJK, I've got a strong feeling the Hockey Gods are going to smile on us tonight.

Ovi and the scorers are going to bust loose, Hendricks/Erskine/DJK will take care of the dirty work, and the Flyers will be wondering what in the world hit them.

Tonight and tomorrow, we'll all be the best of friends....sharing light moments about our fav/least fav players and basking in the glory of a dominating performance in Philly. C

Caps 4-1 and it won't be as close as the score indicates.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 18, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I like the confidence.

I'm a little leery about #55's increased minutes of late, I have to admit. And something tells me Laviollette will try to have him out there against the Briere-Leino-Hartnell line. I know BB supposedly doesn't believe in matchups, but that's a bad one.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 18, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Timbo,

Will Danny B use his stick to chop down #55 ala Jack and the bean stalk?

Posted by: Steve_R | January 18, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@philr
@vtduffman

Your feelings of unease will be erased within the first 10 minutes of the game. DJK will suprise everyone, Erskine will be his tough usual self, and Ovi and Co. will ride the tidal wave of brawn surging through the Caps lineup to victory. 4-1 Caps.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 18, 2011 3:30 PM

@Vermontcaps:

I hope you're right. I really do. Because just one of those things managed to kill my entire crew in less than 24 hours...and if the colonists have found that ship there's no telling how many have been exposed.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 18, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Rhino,

Not too often you can work Aliens into hockey talk, eh?

Posted by: Steve_R | January 18, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

did anyone see this?

"About two months ago in late November, the Washington Capitals were calling around looking for a veteran defenceman. They spoke to Sutter, then the Flames’ general manager, about Robyn Regehr. To get the 30-year-old stay-at-home rearguard, the Capitals were willing to offer 26-year-old forward Tomas Fleischmann, who was struggling to score with Washington.

About two months ago in late November, the Washington Capitals were calling around looking for a veteran defenceman. They spoke to Sutter, then the Flames’ general manager, about Robyn Regehr. To get the 30-year-old stay-at-home rearguard, the Capitals were willing to offer 26-year-old forward Tomas Fleischmann, who was struggling to score with Washington."

I kinda thought Regehr would have been a target! lol

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 18, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

DJ King - Gordie Howe Hat Trick!!

Posted by: Eler | January 18, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Closing thoughts on DJK's appearance:

Suggestions were made a few threads back about who DJK's "man dance" partner should be, and the obvious choice was Shelley. I think DJK should stay away from Shelley his FIRST fight, instead seeking out Matt Walker. Walker is tough as nails, and can put a hurt on any forward not named OVI, and he too is recently returned from a lengthy absence from injury (a real one, this will be his 2nd or 3rd game back).

BB should SEE TO IT that DJK avoid Shelley unless circumstances dictate otherwise. Walker will be itching to go, DJK will be itching to go, and they'll be on equal footing in terms of recent activity. I'd much rather see DJK take off a dman for five, initially, and it'd be a good, fair fight.

Of course, if things go as I envision, the Caps will be romping and I'd much rather see DJK take care of Shelley instead of Erskine. So he'll go again. We'll save Erskine and Hendricks to put Carcillo in his place when he starts acting up.

AND BROOKS LAICH WILL CONTINUE HIS EMERGENCE FROM UNCHARTERED DEPTHS by revisiting a fight from yesteryear, taking on Richards and TAKING HIM AGAIN (yes, I know many think Richards won but I'm sticking w/BL).

A scrum, a near line-brawl, will ensue and Alzner will prove that his physical play the last month is no fluke. He'll mix it up and give it right back, and Beagle will be there backing him up. Everyone here will embrace the new Caps :)

GO CAPS, KICK FLYER A@@!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 18, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm just afraid Steckel might spin to skate the other way and his knee might nail Briere in the head.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 18, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

I will amend my prediction:

Flyers 9-Caps 1

Ovie will miss most of the 1st period when he tightens up after the 1st shift. It is later realized that this was due to him not going out on the morning skate leaving him cold at the start of the game.

The Flyers will score two goals in which they loft a soft shot towards the goal while having a guy down low who lunges at the Caps goalie which causes Neuvy(or Varly) to cower in fear and run out of the goal mouth allowing the floating puck to enter the net.

The Caps will only have 3 skaters(Ovie, Hendricks and Erskine) left for the last 10 minutes of the game as the tough Flyers will beat the snot out of the rest of the soft, wussie Caps and knock them all out of the game with a variety of injuries.

The reason DJK isn't left is because he will be thrown out of the game within the first 10 minutes.

He will then come out in a disguise in the 3rd period trying to get back on the ice. But the attempt will be in vain, as he will get caught by the very aware Philly fans who start throwing batteries at DJK(which DJK eats) before he gets on the ice. This will lead to a 5 minute major, a second ejection and a 10-game suspension.

After the game BB will walk to the bus crying while he keeps on mumbling "Our team is tough. We just need to play a full 60 minutes!"

GMGM will sob incoherently into his scarf for weeks on end knowing that the big, bad Flyers and their insurmountable toughness cost him his job with his humliating defeat.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 18, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Is the league really not going to do anything to Yandle? I know Corey Perry isn't quite the cleanest player in the league, but that's ridiculous that no penalty was called.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 18, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I see an Ovechtrick, in the future.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | January 18, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@hunterforcoach

And then we'll "ride the tidal wave of brawn surging through the lineup" and roll into Al Arbour's old building AND BURN IT DOWN!! Even BB won't want to change things after two awe-inspiring victories, so we'll then go into Toronto and beat them up, too. Ovi and Co. WILL BE SCORING UNLIKE NEVER BEFORE.

Obviously, when the Rags come into town we'll be looking to atone for the 7-0 drubbing and BB knows he'll have to give the fans at home the same show, so the lineup will stay the same. And whatdaya know, WE DOMINATE THEM TOO. It's a no-brainer going into Atlanta, and we go into the All-Star break riding a six-game winning streak.

Coming out of the break, BB will give #4 and 17 rest against Montreal so they can prepare for FEBRUARY 6th....the Pens and all their mouthing off about Steckel. Well, they'll go after Steckel AND BE SORRY THEY DID!! The Caps' unity and solidarity cemented this night, everyone will be talking the next morning about THE TOUGHEST TEAM IN THE NHL, OUR CAPS!!

Even BB won't be able to screw it up afterwards, and we chew teams up all the way to our FIRST CUP!!

GO CAPS, KICK FLYER A@@

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 18, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Corey Perry's a dovchenozzle, and gets what's coming to him IMO. Yandle's a tough kid but he's not dirty; I saw him play in high school [if you call Cushing a high school, haha] and he was a beast.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 18, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3
@richmond
@Redliteyogi

Hey, I overstate my point because so many people on this site are always questioning it.

The Habs played much tougher than us. Did you see all those blocked shots ? They finished more of their checks, they were "hound dogs" on the PK, they forchecked, they slot clogged in front of Halak, they won more battles along the boards, etc.

(The worst part IMO, is when Plackanec called out our goalie and then "lite him" in overtime.)

The smaller, tougher team won.

The Flyers still play "smash mouth" playoff hockey. We don't. They visit the finals every 5 years. We golf, and can't connect the dots as to why our season is over.

A guy like DJK changes the whole atmosphere of the game.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 18, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

@Steve_R - you're right #55 has a lot of height on Briere - and that's about it. Much better d-men than JS have struggled with that line, including [but not limited to] Keith and Seabrook, not to mention Hjalmarsson and Campbell.

But then again, Schultzie's very tall. Such a key, key attribute for a hockey player.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 18, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3: Again, where the #311 did that come from? Did cstanton1 hack your ID or something?

@whomever is responsible for changing Vermontcaps' medication:

Thank You!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 18, 2011 5:19 PM | Report abuse

@Hunter - you illustrated my point about height, perfectly. GMGM is supposed to have constructed this great 'skill' team, but how many loose pucks did MTL win that series? And how much did our own Mr. Plus-Minus [aka Mr. Nasty, according to Pierre Maguire] struggle with strong, quick forwards like Plekanec, Camillieri, Gomez, Gionta, and even Kostitsyn?

Yes, I know Halak played great and Semin and others got snakebit at the worst time - but we did not look like the quicker team that series. Speed kills.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 18, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

I love your posts. If for nothing else they tick off those who think this is a soccer match, when it's really a violent game.

I would love to burn down Al Arbour's building, but we would need a GM who drafted players with GMGM's "on ice" character! We have an awful lot of payback to exact on the Isles, Pens, Devils, and Flyers. I just hope we get a GM that wants to put together a group that will burn down buildings on the way to "the big ugly cup"

I've sat in too many burning buildings the past 35 years. I guess that is why I hate seeing a "soft" team.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 18, 2011 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Yandle got cross-checked in the back - that is no fun. Good for him for standing up for himself. Corey Perry's an idiot.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 18, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1 |

You basically just said two handed slashes should go unpunished around the league.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 18, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

You also just said that two-handed slashes is a perfectly okay form of retaliation.

You really can't be that thick-headed.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 18, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Have you ever gotten cross-checked from behind? I'm guessing no.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 18, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Have you ever gotten two-handed?

How many times in a game do you see a cross-check, ala Perry in that video, in a game? A lot.

How many times in a season do you see a two-handed slash like that? Never.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 18, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@Timbo

I can agree with much of that. The Habs still played tougher and out hustled us. Game 5 was a nightmare. That's when
I started questioning some of these guys "desire level". Backy in particular did not look ready to play in an elim. game.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 18, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I hope that DJK just plays sound, smart hockey - finishes his checks, screens the goalie, is tough in the corners, wins battles for the puck along the boards, etc. I hope he does not find it necessary to engage in a pointless exhibition bout. Any fights should be reserved for retaliating for a Flyer taking a run at a Caps skill player, and the retaliation should be against a Flyer who can actually play. King needs to find a way to contribute substantively to the team, not as a circus act.

Posted by: zmega | January 18, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I've gotten two-handed, plenty of times. It sucks - but I'll still take that over a cross-check to the small of the back any day.

Look, if it had been anybody else other than Perry, I'd have prolly a different reaction [well, maybe a certain #87 on the Pens as well]. But Corey Perry? Sorry, hard time working up a lot of sympathy.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 18, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1 |

It's really not that hard to think objectively, but whatever. If you aren't able or willing to do so yourself, then I guess that works for you.

I'm just going to start two-handing people all the time now..break some bones and stuff. It's got nothing on a simple cross-check to the back, the same cross-check to the back that you see in front of the crease in every single game 353454545 times.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 18, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@Hunter - thanks, and you're right about Game 5, I had a sick feeling in my stomach after that one. Although I don't remember Backy standing out more than others that game - I just remember wanting to scream every time we took a low-percentage shot on the PP that bounced harmlessly off some dude's shin-pad, and Semin trying to beat the same guy 3 times rather than just moving the puck. Oh, and Schultz getting worked - that I remember.

And holding my breath every time MTL got a PP, Markov was effing lethal.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 18, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Who died and anointed DJK the next Darren McCarty???

Posted by: joek443 | January 18, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey Phil, try cross-checking them in the back first, see how that goes over.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 18, 2011 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

I'm trying out the "predict the Caps are going to lose and trashing them endlessly" idea.

If the Caps lose I can come on here and say I was right. If the Caps win I can come on here and say how happy I am with the result, but that I that it was an aberration and the Caps won't repeat that kind of play.

This then sets me up perfectly to make the same prediction with the same responses.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 18, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse