Posted at 11:23 AM ET, 01/11/2011

Capitals' Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green named to NHL All-Star Game roster

By Lindsay Applebaum

Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin and defenseman Mike Green have been named to the NHL's All-Star Game roster, which was just released by the league.

It will be Ovechkin's fourth All-Star Game appearance and Green's first.

Here's the complete roster for the game, to be played Jan. 30 in Raleigh.

And here's more from the NHL on the format for teams:

The 42 All-Stars will decide amongst themselves which two players deserve the honor of being captains and which four will be alternate captains at All-Star Weekend. The captains and alternates will be unveiled in approximately two weeks, with the only rule being that each team must have two forwards and one defenseman wearing letters. The team names then will be taken from the last names of the two captains.
The captains, along with their alternates, have the responsibility of choosing sides in the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft powered by Cisco, which is scheduled for Jan. 28 and will be televised live on TSN and VERSUS from NHL Fan Fair at the Raleigh Convention Center.

Do you agree with the Caps players selected?

By Lindsay Applebaum  | January 11, 2011; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals owner Ted Leonsis on the decisions to do HBO's '24/7'
Next: Michal Neuvirth expected to start for Capitals tonight vs. Panthers

Comments

no carlson with the rookies? he got the shaft with that one

Posted by: _stevo | January 11, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

No B├Ąckis...No Carlson...No Varly/Neuvy...No Ersk?

WTF?

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 11, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad vermontcaps is giving his "expert" opinion on BGordon's injury. Cleary vermotcaps knows a lot about staph infections and the possiblity of them happening again. You are a blowhard who wants to complain about everything, even things you have no knowledge of.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 10, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Though only part of your post, I have to say I really liked this one. Specifically, I liked how you took me to task for my "expert" opinion, but then offered your own "expert" opinion about what motivates and drives fans like myself....you clearly know a lot about psychology.

Isn't it great when the pot calls the kettle black, sgm3? I'd rather be a complaining blowhard than a pompous know-it-all any day of the week, but to each his own I guess.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 11, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Carlson's absence from the Rookie Roster illegitimizes the entire roster and selection process. What a joke.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 11, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Ovie should sit this out and recover from whatever injury or fatigue has been hampering his performance.

Posted by: patrick24 | January 11, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm a life long lurker brought out to the open by the knuckleheads who didn't choose Carlson or Neuvy on the rookie team. I call BS on it all. OK back under my rock I go. C A R L S O N !

Posted by: Berndaddy | January 11, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Ridiculous to not have Carlson there. Just check the stats (esp. TOI, hits, blocks, and +/-) - of the 3 rookie D's who did get in (Ekman-Larsson, Fowler, Shattenkirk), only Shattenkirk has made even close to as substantial a contribution to his team.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | January 11, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

Nice try but if you were able to comprehend my post you would have realized that I wasn't MY opinion about what drives fans, but was citing to someone else who mentioned it. I was citing to another person's opinion. As you can see below:

"A poster(I forget who) mentioned that the negative posters do so in an effort to protect themselves. If the Caps lose, posters such as vermontcaps can say "see, I was right!" and that acutally makes those posters feel good. If the Caps win, then they will reply "I've been a Caps fan all my life and this is great. I'm so happy." So the poster wins that way also.

So they are happy no matter what the outcome, but they forget the years of being grumpy and miserable they have with all their complaining thoughout the season and never actually enjoy just watching the games. "

Posted by: sgm3 | January 11, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

No Backstrom but there is Sharp & Kane? No Semin but there is Elias & Kessel. No Carlson but there is Boyle & Burns? The league picks all these minus players (9 & 11 if you add starters) to play in its All Star Game? Good job NHL!!

Posted by: brandon5272lee | January 11, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

No Backstrom but there is Sharp & Kane? No Semin but there is Elias & Kessel. No Carlson but there is Boyle & Burns? The league picks all these minus players (9 & 11 if you add starters) to play in its All Star Game? Here's a thought actually look at the numbers!! Good job NHL!!

Posted by: brandon5272lee | January 11, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

At first I was miffed by Carlson's omission too but then I saw what the NHL did was to use the rookies as the way to get all 30 teams represented without slighting deserving players from the actual game. Ekman-Larsson having only 7pts and actually being sent down once if another Coyote was involved would definitely not be there and Carlson would instead. Looks like Dadonov, Grabner, and Ekman-Larsson are sole reps for their teams

Posted by: BBDwrestling | January 11, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

LOL Sounds to me like you're trying to have it both ways: apparently, I complain so that I'm in a win/win situation....you criticize me w/other another person's words so you can distance yourself from them.

As much as you'd hate to admit it, sgm3, we're practically opposite-clones of each other. I accept your apology and we can continue being friends :)

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 11, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Backie is having a sub-par year. Sharp is lapping him in goals.

I'm fine with the omission of Backie - Maybe this will wake him up.

Carlzner should be in for the rooks!

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | January 11, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 11, 2011 11:35 AM

then you have to choose just one.

jk - sorry i couldn't resist - you made it too easy

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 11, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

vermontcaps: I'll still be your friend if you don't mind my "issues" with certain clothing.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 11, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

I'm surprised after your ridculous cancer comment you have the marbles to show yourself on here again. You're like herpes, you just never go away.

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 11, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Carlson absolutely has to be on the all-rookie team, at a bare minimum; in fact you could make a strong argument for taking him over half the d-men on the regular list [other than Weber, Keith, Burns, Lidstrom and Enstrom]. It delegitimizes the entire roster.

And as someone pointed out, if Kessel, Sharp and Elias are on as forwards, Semin should be too.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 11, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I think Obama should invite vermontcaps and sgm3 to the White House for a beer.

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | January 11, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

That's a good idea, the vt-caps and sgm beer summit - but maybe throw in a shot or two of cold Russian vodka to seal the deal?

I just saw that Byfuglien is on as a d-man, that is hilarious. There's more to playing d in the NHL than a bomb and running around trying to throw huge hits; when he plays against good forwards he often either takes himself out of the play and / or takes penalties.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 11, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Semin's little scoring hiatus added to his not liking the spotlight is what kept him off the a-s roster. Oh well, recovery time for my boy.

Wonder if the All-Star game will now be sponsored by Trojan, since it's going to be Semin free. =) waka waka waka

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 11, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

i'm pretty sure they passed over DJK because he is injured (i think)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 11, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 11, 2011 11:35 AM

And being a 'complaining blowhard' is different from being a 'pompous know-it-all' in exactly what way?

'just saying...

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 11, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Another sick alliteration from SAOTI.

Funny, but sick.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 11, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | January 10, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps

Since it was brought up again, when I first read the original post my immediate reaction was either this person (vermontcaps) really does hate the Caps or he doesn't know much about staph infections. Playing?! I wouldn't want him to be around the other players without medical input. Staph is bacterial and communicable. Anyone with any kind of skin abrasion that comes in contact with an affected person is at risk. Staph can range from minor skin irritations to more serious issues and symptoms.

Moving on...

RE: Willsie callup.
I too have my choices for callups. But, I've been told that it's a reward system. Therefore, unless I know for sure otherwise I have to assume the coaches know who has earned the callup.

RE: Calson.
I agree that Carlson should be on the rookie roster.

@capscoach
I agree with you. If things were really bad and Erskine really felt mistreated he'd probably wait and see what else was available.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 11, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

That should be Carlson, not Calson in my previous post.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 11, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Sucks for Carlson, but the allstar game sucks anyway, especially the new format for this season. How many of you are actually going to watch it anyway?

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | January 11, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Jordan_Kitts...Sharp may have more goals but has only six more points w/ a worse +/- & I think we can agree he isn't half the player Backstrom is (Sharp 462 games 289 points, Backstrom 288 games 296 points). Do you think any G.M. would take Sharp over him?

Posted by: brandon5272lee | January 11, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

No Carlson?, No Alzner?, No Neuvith? They even left off the kid from Montreal thats supposed to be a ROTY contender with Carlson! I have yet to come across any sport - pro or college where the "All-Pro" teams are chosen correctly. If we all lived in NYC or LA maybe I would feel diff., but fan voting is a bunch of BS! Reputations do not make you an all-star. Backstrom had better numbers at this time than Sidney Crosby, but wasn't even voted as an alternate last year or this year. BS!

Posted by: davidthecompjunky | January 11, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

You almost forget that there is an All-Star game this year since last year it was the Olympics and we didn't have it. Can't say I'm waiting eagerly for the All-Star. I agree with most of you that some of those players aren't even worth mentioning. Here's hoping Ovi and Green play on the team opposing Fleury and the Pens. Ahh, Fleury, we love you! Go Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 11, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Living with herpes was a hard life to many people. When I found this site Hdating.net (my favorite STD dating site)I was once again hopeful. There are many sexy girls and hot guys who are seeking match living with the same STD here. All of them are friendly and informative.

Posted by: juliarix | January 12, 2011 10:38 PM | Report abuse