Ovechkin records pair of assists in preseason debut: Capitals 3, Bruins 2

Alex Ovechkin's sheer presence on the Verizon Center ice was enough to elicit cheers from the crowd Wednesday night. On his second shift though, Ovechkin recorded a big hit on Boston's Johnny Boychuk in the Capitals' defensive zone, kicking off what became a physical game and an eventual 3-2 Washington win.

The Capitals improved to a perfect 3-0 in the preseason as the three main contenders for the open third-line center position continue to up the ante with Mathieu Perreault (goal), Cody Eakin (goal) and Marcus Johansson (assist) each recording a point in the contest while Ovechkin added two primary assists. But Washington's captain acknowledged even he needs some time to get back into game rhythm.

"No, it's not normal," Ovechkin said when asked if he was instantly ready upon hitting the ice. "I think the first couple shifts I was just getting into the game and then, like okay, let's try to play hockey."

The physical contest -- with Boston outhitting the Capitals 22-14 -- was just the kind of atmosphere Ovechkin needed to reacclimate himself, even if his high-energy and hard-hitting style make the coaching staff worry about his health every now and again.

"Yeah, he makes us nervous," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "But it was his first game. He was getting his feet wet and he didn't play anywhere near the way he can play, but the check at the end made us nervous. Ovie is the leader and he plays the way he does but when [Gregory] Campbell hit him, if he doesn't duck his head he could have been seriously hurt. So, I don't blame him for going back at [Campbell]."

Ovechkin praised his first-time linemate, Perreault, who didn't waste a prime setup by the left wing in scoring the first goal of the game from the right faceoff circle. Perreault was given the chance to skate alongside Ovechkin and Mike Knuble on the top line against the Bruins when Tomas Fleischmann was held out of the lineup for precautionary reasons -- a situation that doesn't come without some jitters.

"For sure," Perreault said with a laugh when asked if he had butterflies. "Every time I get the puck, like 'Where's Ovie?' I want to get it to him."

You'll be able to read more about the on-going competition between Perreault, Eakin and Johansson, who are still in something of a dead heat half-way through the preseason, in the full game story for the hard-copy edition.

By Katie Carrera  | September 28, 2010; 11:16 PM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin, Boston Bruins, Marcus Johansson, Mathieu Perreault  | Tags:  Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals, preseason
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Semyon Varlamov out tonight vs. Bruins
Next: D.J. King as the Capitals' 'big brother'

Comments

It's only preseason, but they are looking pretty good. I actually like Perreault a lot. He is quick, tenacious and has the skill set to be up on the 3rd line. It will be interesting to see who ends up staying between Perreault, Eakin and Johansson. My money is on Perreault getting the nod, but expect Eakin to get a call up if there are injuries. This team is stacked with talent. I would love to see a stay at home defensemen brought in to shore up the defense. Fleischmann is expendable, and they should fine a dance partner for him. If it's possible and reasonable.

Posted by: robostop10 | September 28, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Katie,
In the first sentence of this post, the correct word is "elicit". It has a completely different meaning from the word you used. This reflects badly on your writing skills, I'm afraid.

Posted by: pcalvert | September 28, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I noticed that Alex Semin and Boyd Gordon were wearing the "A" assistant captain jerseys tonight. Interesting choices. Is it unusual to pick new assistant captains each year, particularly when the guys who used to wear the jerseys (Knuble and Poti) are still on the team?

Posted by: mjw4m | September 28, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Calgary getting very thin at center. First Langkow and Stajan, now Jokinen hurts his back and leaves their game tonight.

Posted by: ThePat | September 28, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nkeitt | September 28, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

@pcalvert
actually she used the term correctly. also show some respect. and next time look up words before you go making comments on how they are used.

–verb (used with object)
to draw or bring out or forth; educe; evoke

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 29, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

@pcalvert - Help me out here bro. You said the correct word is "elicit". That's what she put, so where's the beef?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 29, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to hearing tomorrow's comments from people who were actually at the game. I was able to watch the first period on my computer before I had to leave the house, but there's no way I could make an honest evaluation of the players' performances based on that.

Posted by: struggler | September 29, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

"Gee, I don't suppose we'll be hearing a great uproar from Don Cherry and his ilk about what a horrible dirty player Gregory Campbell is for that kind of hit (in a preseason game no less, I'm surprised GMGM didn't deck the Bruins GM like he did with Chicago's a few years back). I guess as long as you're not rocking the red, it's just clean hard hockey, eh?"

I didn't see the game but I was thinking the same thing. A Boston writer, Joe Haggerty made a mention that Ovie hasn't learned and was reckless in a knee on knee hit in the 1st period (again, I didn't see the game and know nothing about this). However, he never mentioned how Campbell boarded Ovie.

In addition, there was little to no noise about Orpik's reckless knee to Franzen.

It is ridiculous, how if Ovie ever makes a questionable hit it is immediately regarded as reckless, but if another player makes a similar hit, it is just considered good, aggressive hockey. The hippocrisy is ridiculous.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 29, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I suppose I shouldn't be shocked that somebody on CI actually critisized the writer of a blog whether correctly or not. We obviously don't have enough things to complain about so we nit pick the blogger! Nice job jr.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 29, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

This reflects badly on your writing skills, I'm afraid.
Posted by: pcalvert | September 28, 2010 11:47 PM |

It's communication - every1 got it right.
It's hockey blog.
Quit being a high school geek you ninny.

U would get beat up you said this on the streets.

Posted by: Rocc00 | September 29, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

@mjw4m

This preseason has been a preseason with all kinds of interesting choices of guys getting the C and the A. Last game, Nicky B was the C and in the first game, Chimmer was the C.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 29, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

"The only comment I have is in response to somebody who said they would have rather seen MaJo on the first line. I think BB approached this the right way: you know for a fact that MaJo will not center the first line if he sticks. You know if he sticks, he will center the 2nd line. Thus, you want to see him playing on the 2nd line. Management is already familiar with MP."

@struggler

In addition, if Flash is traded at some point for a D-man, and MP makes the team, I like the idea of possibly playing MP on the 1st line with Ovie and Knuble and then having Backstrom center Semin and Laich(or ideally Semin and Fehr).

The Ovie/MP/Knuble line would still be incredibly dangerous because of Ovie, but MP would fit in well with them because Ovie and Knuble's good size would help offset MP being small. And MP skill set, and passing skills would seem to mesh well with Ovie.

That would also leave a potential line of Semin/Backstrom/Fehr facing a 2nd pairing defense(assuming 1st pair is covering Ovie's line) and not facing the opposing team's top defensive line. That potential 2nd line would be as good as almost every team's 1st line.

Then you could basically have the 1st and 2nd lines play equal minutes of even strength time.

That would be an amazing 1-2 punch.

So instead of having a 1st line rated a 10 and playing 17 minutes a game(even strength time) and a 2nd line rated a 7 playing about 15 minutes a game. Now you could have two potential 9.5 lines playing at 16 minutes per game each.

Just throwing out an idea. Not saying that this should be done, but it is worth thinking about.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 29, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Detroit was lobbying for Orpik to get suspended for his hit on Franzen. But, yeah, can't believe there wasn't much noise other than that. As for Orpik getting ejected from that game -- well it couldn't have happened to a more deserving player. The pot who called the kettle black.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 29, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

What is it about Ovi and the Campbells? In this game, Ovi got in a scrum with Greg Campbell. While it was the Blackhawks game when Ovi had his infamous hit to Brian Campbell.

Well, we now dub Ovi as an honorary member of the MacDonald clan in his service against the Campbell clan.

Alexander MacDonald, our illustrious Captain. (Reports are the MacDonalds were partially descended from Vikings. There is also the report that many Russians could be descended from Vikings as well.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 29, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

Very good and interesting observations on Ovi, Campbell, MacDonalds and Vikings!

Posted by: MReilly9 | September 29, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

@struggler I had these posted in the last thread and ThePat (I think if I am wrong sorry) also had a list of stuff he saw.

My thoughts from the game. King is what we thought he was. All three young centers have looked good so far. Carlson has twice been ahead of all of the forwards on a breakout both times Eakin was good and covered but I hope it is something he stops doing which he won't since BB is telling him to be more like Green. PK kept the Bs from getting anything set up and forced an icing that ended the PP with a boarding call. Neuvy has to stop letting in softies but has looked good otherwise.

My second period thoughts. Two PKs and both draw a PPs to end them which means I didn't get to see the pk much but they were forcing the Bs into taking penalties. Carlson when on d one on one looked great and I didn't see him leaving the zone early that period so maybe BB told him to find a happy medium. Semin showed what happens when you give a forward too much time outside on a PK I hope our guys were taking note of that.

Now I had to leave in the second so I didn't get to see the third, had my own game to get to, so that I will leave to others but that was what I saw from my seats for tonight in 428. Friday I plan to do the same thing only this time I am in the 200s.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 29, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3. I have seen others mention that idea and I am all in favor of it. Backstrom and Semin together would be a great top two on a lot of teams and that would be our second line and if Ovechkin can get Dainius Zubrus to have 23 goals and 34 assists when he was a rookie he can play with any center and MP is much better then Zubrus and Knuble is a great third forward on that line. It is kind of like how Detroit had Zetterburg move down to the second line the last few seasons to give them more of a one-two punch instead of just one stacked line.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 29, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

To Rocco and my other fans, Katie used the word "illicit" in the original version of this story's first sentence. She corrected it to "elicit" after I pointed out her error. Unfortunately, the Post blogs do not have an edit history function available to the reader to allow me to show you the prior version.
But Katie knows the truth, don't you ;

Posted by: pcalver1 | September 29, 2010 1:30 AM | Report abuse

But Katie knows the truth, don't you ;

Posted by: pcalver1 | September 29, 2010 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Good God you can't be serious.....I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say you spent prom night alone. This is a blog we see typos and misspellings constantly, you are literally the first person EVER to point one out in a snide/pretentious way.

Posted by: dcfury | September 29, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Who knows, maybe the cheers were indeed illicit????

Washingtonians have their minds in the gutter, right?

Newspapers' budgets have gone down the tubes. Proofing is a lost art. This stuff will happen.

All you can hope for is a Stanley Cup....

Posted by: CF11555 | September 29, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

the whirled is coming two and end. so many try too spell on just herring alone. with know idea of the english language. to reed is too no, to right properly is just common cents. i have no farther input weather you like it or knot.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 29, 2010 2:46 AM | Report abuse

@pcalvert

and we couldn't possibly just let the 1 wrong letter slide considering the posting comes after a long game and night, and it is her 3rd posting of the day?

Posted by: capscoach | September 29, 2010 5:22 AM | Report abuse

Flash "hurt" and all 3 Caps young centers play well. That is a pretty good storyline for me. Now if Flash is really hurt and not pulled out for a possible trade, I'll feel like a goat. A win against a physical team and holding onto a lead are also two more good trends, if even for a preseason game. Add in aggressive PK and a Cap tuff guy winning a fight: happy, happy. Where is that KoolAid(r) dispenser?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | September 29, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

CapsFan75, don't forget Colin Campbell, who meted out Ovi's suspensions.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | September 29, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Well, pcalvert, if you want we'll give you a gold star. Now move along to the grammar blog where you and your ilk can snicker and compare the masking tape on your glasses.

Thanks for the story Katie.

Posted by: ouvan59 | September 29, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS1

The Kool Aid dispenser must have been at the Nats game last night. (Teddy was winning the Presidents race when the Kool Aid mascot that was on the field at the time tripped Teddy, preventing him from winning his very first time.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 29, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

@dccitizen,

I have not forgotten Colin Campbell, the discipline czar who is the father of Greg Campbell. (Campbell, one of the most important "clans" of hockey, along with Patrick.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 29, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

as a commenting bloggur, u might be "aloud" to use the wrong word now and "than", but as a reporter, asking katie to know her vocabulary? that's not being picky. that's asking her to demonstrate she has the skills for her job. i hate to get all technical on you, but that's not an extraordinary request.

i'm willing to cut her break-- she's clearly still learning. as a writer, i've used the wrong word now and then too. :) but it is not being "picky" when you are asking professional reporter to use appropriate vocabulary in their work.

Posted by: 33spinner | September 29, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

@robostop10 - Unfortunately, Cody Eakin is only 19 years old, and will be sent back to Swift Current in the Canadian league if he does not make the big club. He won't be able to play for Hershey until the Broncos' season is over (like last year), and so won't be available to play for the Caps until very late in the season. He doesn't turn 20 until May, so that pretty much eliminates him being even a Hershey regular until the 2011-2012 season. But dang, that kid is gonna be sweet!

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

So glad to have King-from behind the Boston bench, we saw that Thornton's face was a complete mess after that fight. However, Ovie almost gave us an absolute heart attack-is he nuts? Fighting in the preseason! Ugh. Even Semin almost got into it-he bongo'd someone in the head. We can't have these guys fighting! Coach...

Posted by: mtaneyhill | September 29, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I didn't get all of it but where did the "incident" with Ovie and Campbell start? Campbell boarded Ovie. Seconds before that they collided behind the net and Ovie hit Campbell as they were getting up.

Highlight for me: I got a t-shirt on the Red Rockers' first trip into the stands.

Posted by: tim-n-VA | September 29, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

@dcfury, and my other fanboys, I wish Katie well, although her hockey knowledge now appears to consist of the ability to string together quotes from her player and coach interviews. However, it is pretty reasonable to ask a 'professional' writer to know the difference between two quasi-homonyms, one of which is an adjective meaning scandalous, and the other a verb meaning to bring forth or produce.
On

Posted by: pcalvert | September 29, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

On

Posted by: pcalvert | September 29, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------
Pedantic little twit...

Posted by: lingering_lead | September 29, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

yeah, he spent prom night and all nights alone.

Posted by: kfrazec | September 29, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@pcalvert - the issue here is not whether you were accurate in your grammatical correction. The issue is that you have arrogantly taken it upon yourself to utilize a public forum to embarrass someone. I am certain that Ms. Carrera knows the difference between "illicit" and "elicit" and this is clearly not the first grammatical error ever made by a journalist. The only reason to post a comment such as yours is to puff up your own ego at another's expense. This is shameful behavior and you deserve the ridicule you have received (though I would prefer it had been given without resorting to stereotyping - some of my best friends have masking tape on their glasses and don't post boorish blog comments).

Since you clearly think you can do a better job, please post a link to your Capitals blog so that we can all bask in the glow of your incredible hockey knowledge and impeccable grammar. Or at least post a comment that shows that you have some insights into the game as opposed to the reporting of it. God help you if you have a single typo, though.

Posted by: nkeitt | September 29, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I am heartened to see how many avid fans Katie has already. Once she learns about hockey and how to write interesting and knowledgeable copy, she'll be all set! ;

Posted by: pcalvert | September 29, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Just put Flash on the wing and use MP and MJ.

Posted by: digster1013 | September 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@pcalvert Look, you need to chill out and not take it out on the writer. Mistakes happen, and like others said, it's not the first time that has happened to a journalist or a writer. I'm sure you've made those mistakes too. Everybody does, and I think you need to give Katie the benefit of the doubt - look, I read CI all the time, and I haven't seen any mistakes at all. You can't pass judgment on someone's writing style - which is exactly what you were doing - because of one error.

And if you know writing, I think you could realize that Katie puts together solid copy on a blog that I doubt gets the heavy editing a normal story for the post might get.

It just seems like you have a vendetta. And that's not fair.

Posted by: jcoral128 | September 29, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse