Alexander Semin is Questionable (Updated)

Here's a quick-post practice update:

As you probably have read by now, Alexander Semin left practice early. Coach Bruce Boudreau said: "We're still hoping that he's going to be able to play Wednesday, but he was still a little sore, so I told him [to leave early] because we were going to be hitting."

Shaone Morrisonn confirmed that he's traveling with team and said he hopes to play on Wednesday. But that decision, he said, likely won't be made until tomorrow. Because of that, and the injury to Segei Fedorov, Tyler Sloan will be traveling to the west coast.

Fedorov was limping pretty badly after practice today, but will make the trip. His status is also unclear. He wouldn't be traveling, however, if there wasn't any hope of him playing.

Update:The Caps spent the majority of the morning working on systems play, with an emphasis on forechecking as well as neutral zone and offensive zone coverage.

"We haven't practiced [fully] in about 10 days," Boudreau said, asked about the breakdowns Saturday night in Newark. "It's amazing how things slip when you don't practice. We wanted to review today, and we'll review tomorrow, and just get things that were starting to loosen up, get them tighter again."

*I'm writing about Nicklas Backstrom (two goals, eight assists in three games) for tomorrow's paper.

Backstrom said conditioning was not the reason for his slow start. His sprained ankle, however, did have an effect. It took a few games before it was completely healthy, then it took a few more games before he stopped worrying about hurting it again.

It's no longer a concern, if you haven't been able to tell from his point total the past week or so.

"It's good sometimes to score some points for your confidence," said Backstrom, who attended last night's Redskins game with Ovechkin. "I have been struggling a little bit at the beginning; I wasn't good. But now I feel that I'm playing better, winning more battles on the boards and I've been working harder. That's the key for my game--I have to work hard."

Ovechkin, who was decked out in Redskins gear last night, I'm told, was clearly upset that the 'Skins couldn't pull out a win over the Cowboys at FedEx Field. I jokingly said he probably could have been a linebacker. He laughed and said, "No, a kicker."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 17, 2008; 11:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Backstrom No. 1 Star, Ovechkin No. 2 (Updated)
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Updates a plenty today. Thanks for the hard work Tarik.

Its fun to think about just how good this team can be when they are healthy and firing on all cylinders, something that hasn't happened yet, save for maybe the Canucks game.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 17, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Glad they are being smart w/Semin's injury. Here's hoping to a speedy recovery.

Posted by: cbs75 | November 17, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Hope Fedorov's okay -- "limping pretty badly after practice" doesn't sound like he's getting much better. Hope they're smart with him, too.

And Backstrom absolutely deserves his First Star of the Week! Way to go! Ovechkin, too. It's amazing what a simple deflection goal will do for one's floodgates :-).

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 17, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Could the Caps please practice their break-out from the defensive zone? It's a consistently weak part of their game.

Posted by: sjshanno | November 17, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to see them playing it safe with Semin. While I hope he's back in the lineup for Wednesday, I don't want him there at a cost of multiple games or poor production further down the road.

Fedorov, take it easy! The fact is that he's not 22 anymore, and things are just going to take longer to heal than they used to.

Have they given any thought to doing a practice that's just shootouts, Tarik?

Also, <3 for my Nicky! I'm so glad to see that getting his jersey over the summer wasn't a mistake.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 17, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

any updates on johnson's injury? Even though he let up 5 goals, I thought no-way-jose played pretty well on saturday

Posted by: _stevo | November 17, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Ovie can give the Skins some pointers on getting it done in the waning minutes of the game...

Posted by: JillC | November 17, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

sjshanno

What you said! Those "clearing" passes out of the defensive zone obviously weren't. They couldn't get the puck to their teammate's tape, and when they did (which was rarely), they couldn't control the outlet pass.

That led to many good quality scoring opportunities and at least one goal (the one in the 3rd were the Caps were dragging their tongues on the ice).

Posted by: Greg S. | November 17, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@_stevo

are you insane. if Theo didn;t play pretty well I hate to think what your standards are when the opposing team goes into the third with 20 shooting chances compared to our 5. might I add those 20 shooting chances were out of 24 shots on goal, that's a very high percentage of ample goal oppurtunites for the devils and theo only has 3 goals against at that point. The shots they had on theo were rediculous, and they weren;t just one shot, ok back out of the zone then back in for another, they were shot after shot after shot, where Theo was having to constantly make saves because our D could not clear the zone. it looked like we were on the PK most of the game. If Theo didn;t play "not so well" we would've been down easily by another 3 goals, he kept the game close, most of the goals he had scored on him were bang bang quick plays he really had no chance on. Theo kept us in that game, and I don;t think even a heathly red-hot Johnny could've done what Theo did against that constant offense.

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 17, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Errr...didn't stevo say Jose played "pretty well?"

Posted by: JillC | November 17, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

One thing about Theo's performance... I did notice that he was slow to get up after a goal in the -- 2nd frame, I think? -- Anyway, they called in the trainer, and everybody was looking at Johnson. I'd say if he played hurt or hurting and still did reasonably well, I have few complaints.

Posted by: irockthered | November 17, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

As for the injuries:

Good to see that they're being smart and not playing Semin rough in practice.

Also good to see that Fedorov and Morrisonn are traveling - and that Sloan is traveling as well. I hope we somehow get to keep Sloan, because he is playing VERY well. Got himself another legal knockdown in the middle of the ice on Saturday night, and kept his feet. We NEED that in a defenseman. XD

Posted by: irockthered | November 17, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan387

I said he played pretty well

Posted by: _stevo | November 17, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

capsfan387-

I think you may have mis-read what _stevo wrote. It appears he was applauding Jose's performance on Saturday- despite the 5 goal game.

I like what I'm seeing out of Flash this year too. I was critical of him last year- and deservedly so, but he seems to have gotten a bit tougher and also hungrier for the puck. It would be nice if he keeps it up all season- and I see no reason why he wouldn't.

Posted by: Fro_ | November 17, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

TSN's power rankings have the Caps going from 13th to 5th this week.

That and $3 gets you a Starbucks and some change.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 17, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

About Flash - I don't know if it's better conditioning or bulking up a tad, but he definitely wins those battles for the puck A LOT more than he used to. Great to see a 2nd-line winger actually threaten to score everytime he touches the puck.

Posted by: rh71 | November 17, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Kings @ Ducks game last night in Anaheim. There was no energy from either team and it was a really dull game. There was only one hit in three periods. The one fight was an obvious "let's get something going" fight, and it almost failed the laugh test (even the refs looked bored).

If we stay on our game, we should take both those games later this week, and I'm here to cheer them on. San Jose is another story...

Posted by: bubblegirl1 | November 17, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Practice makes perfect!
Good is not good enough!
Looking forward to the WEst Coast Games, to see how we stack up against some of the Powers in the Western Conf.

San Jose is the only unbeaten team at home in the West, and we have that distinction in the East.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 17, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"No, a kicker"

I love him...but I felt a pang of embarrassment for him. Hopefully not many American sports fans will read that, and they will still respect him.

There are certain things that European (if you can really call a Russian a European) athletes in America must be trained to absolutely not say.

"My favorite position in football is kicker" is one of those things.

His ESL classes need additional instruction on how not to lose all your street cred in interviews.

Posted by: large23220 | November 17, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I have been perusing other teams' blogs for some info regarding my fantasy players and I just wanted to say that those who whine on here about Tarik's coverage sometimes are spoiled brats. This blog has by far the most and best detailed info about the team. Much better than all the original six beat writer blogs I've visited. In fact, I got so used to getting up to date detailed info that I was very frustrated when I couldn't find even 30% of comparable coverage on other teams. For example, I was considering getting Jaroslav Halak as one of my goalies for this week since Carey Price has been playing like crap recently, but for the life of me I couldn't find any info on whether Halak was gonna get some starts this week.

So the point of all this is. Appreciate Tarik. He's the man. We all take good things for granted all too often.

Posted by: ranndino | November 17, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@caps fane 387
Maybe get some one to read the various comments and explain them to you so you dont go off and look extremelly foolish.
Maybe you should apologize to stevo

Posted by: wendel2 | November 17, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice from "Ted's Take" that he linked to something that calculates D-Men and it has Erskine as our best defensive D? Kind of surprising. The real problem though is that he is ranked highest of all our guys and he's in the 30's! That can't be good.

Posted by: WVPhil | November 17, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Large23220,

You missed the whole point of Ovie's answer. It was obviously a joke. He knows exactly what he said. He was giving respect to football players basically saying that even he isn't tough enough to play any position other than a kicker.

Posted by: ranndino | November 17, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Greg S: Word on the rankings. Those rankings are up and down more than a Catholic Mass on fast-forward (apologies to our Catholics).

Posted by: kittypawz | November 17, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bagasome | November 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@large23220

I took the kicker comment as more of a joke..."He laughed and said, "No, a kicker." "

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

You noticed that, eh? :)

Like I said, that and $3 gets you a Starbucks and some change.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

That #5 ranking from TSN will be put to the test out west. Hopefully, the Caps work on their clearing efforts. I hope that Morrison is back soon as he is pretty good clearing the puck. I think the Sharks will be the toughest test, but Minnesota plays like the Devils, so that may be yet tougher. Stupid neutral zone trap -- boring hockey!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 17, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

The other point with Ovechkin's response is that maybe he likes kicking! ;-) He sure does it to the puck once in a while... ... ...

Posted by: irockthered | November 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, can we get bagasome banned from posting on here? He hasn't made one legitimate comment yet... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | November 17, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

He laughed and said, "No, a kicker."

By Tarik El-Bashir | November 17, 2008; 11:24 AM ET
-------------------------------------------
When asked for a response, Backstrom said, "We are kickers, we kick ball, we play with ball, we kick the the ball."

Posted by: Section117 | November 17, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I think Ovie's answer could also be construed to "I wouldn't have missed the Suisham field goal to put the Redskins up 13-7, I would have picked up the ball, jumped over the Offensive Line, run through 3 Dallas Linebackers, and proceed to flaunt my toothless grin to the Dallas Secondary as I scored a touchdown."

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 17, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Oops, sorry: "proceeded."

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 17, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

JSchon:
$1 per character for irrelevant comments ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Funny, when I saw Ovie's comments about wanting to be the kicker, I thought along the same lines as Drinking Partner.

Can you imagine what having a kicker like Ovie would do to that position? It would add new meaning to the Wildcat Formation.

Posted by: Kim-3 | November 17, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I hope Green and the boys dont go out drinking in Hollywood after the Kings game. They will all end up in jail.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

yeah i have a hunch that green and brooks are not going to stay in when they are in hollywood

Posted by: _stevo | November 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I really hope that Nick waits until after the roadtrip to celebrate his big birthday!

Something tells me a midnight party after the Sharks game in San Jose with Green Ovie Semin and the rest of the crew could be a little, shall we say, wild.

Posted by: Kim-3 | November 17, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik.

If Morrison comes back soon do you expect him to take back over on the top unit or do you think Sarge will stay up there?

Ohh and how was your sandwich? ;-)

Posted by: MZawacki | November 17, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

DrinkingPartner: You forgot the part where he flattens his teammates into the turf while celebrating.

Kim-3: Depends on who wins.

I for one don't begrudge them the party so long as they show up in the morning not hung over and rezdy to work.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 17, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I remember a college kicker who would outrace his teammates down the field after a kick off and would more often then not end up tackling the return man. While I too think OV was joking, if he was a kicker THAT is the kind of kicker he would be.

More on the Nylander rumor mongering

I don't know much about Dustin Byfuglien. I don't have center ice so I don't get to watch that many out of town games. I like the idea of a 23 year old guy who is 6'4 246 lbs and scored 19 goals in only 67 games....

I'm still inclined to say that Salary Cap issues aside, I'd prefer we keep Nylander but this trade would have freed up about 1.975 million in Cap space giving us room to maneuver at the trade deadline.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 17, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

About the partying: when Lisa Hillary was interviewing Sloan on Comcast one night last week I believe he mentioned that the rookie dinner is scheduled for this road trip and that he and Fehr are the only rookies this year. So they could celebrate Nicky b-day at the same time and have a real blast.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 17, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

That means Sloan and Fehr are buying.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 17, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

JillC,
Yeah, Jose played pretty "well" if you didn't notice that, maybe you should pay attention some more.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 17, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Very raw deal for Sloan if he has to split the bill 50/50 with Fehr.

Posted by: Jeff_ | November 17, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I forget the exact quote, but Sloan made some laughing comment about his American Express card.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 17, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff: If you think about it, if Sloan would have been sent back to Hershey this week, Fehr would have been the ONLY rookie on the trip. I hope they wouldn't make him foot the whole bill himself!

Posted by: tess2201 | November 17, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I've heard that these Rookie dinners have epic tabs associated to them.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 17, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

If Fehr was in the position of being the lone rookie that would stink, but at the same time he's pretty much guaranteed his full salary of 735k. Sloan, on the other hand, is likely going to be in the AHL for most of the season, meaning his salary will be somewhere in the 50-75k range, no?

That's what my comment was based upon...a relatively significant % of Sloan's total income this season could go towards the rookie dinner, especially if he is returned to the AHL once Mo is healthy.

But his time will come. I remember back in the day when Nabokov was in the All-Star skills challenge and I was pulling for him to win the truck they were giving away because he was on an entry level deal -- he's obviously hit his big payday since.

Posted by: Jeff_ | November 17, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I guess Fehr's still a rookie by NHL definitions, seems odd though considering we seen him in parts of three seasons now.

Posted by: koalatek | November 17, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen this posted here before, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

Robert Mueller played for Germany in the 2006 Olympics and was a Caps draft pic in 2001. He has a terminal brain cancer, yet still straps them on apparently.

Here's the story:

Posted by: Greg S. | November 17, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg S. | November 17, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Greg S: I saw that on Puck Daddy. More power to him. He's not going to just lay down and go quietly, and I respect the hell out of him for it.

I say everybody ought to fire all the pucks at him that he wants, and not worry about the brain cancer thing. Let him go out doing the thing he loves best - that's the best salute you can give him.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 17, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@mnmnt: I realize you enjoy attacking me anytime I comment here -- and if that makes you feel better about yourself, then by all means, continue. However, if you don't demonstrate at least some comprehension of my comments before you make your snide retorts, you only succeed in making yourself look stupid. Have a nice day.

Posted by: JillC | November 17, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

The coach put him in a game, too. Real class act.

I think this is the English version of the team's webpage.

For those that can't get to the site, here's a clip on the story.

"The KEC sealed victory in the final period. Lüdemann broke away and his shot was redirected into the net off the skate of a Nürnberg player to make it 3:1 (43 minutes), before Haie forward Rudslätt notched his first goal of the season (thus far, the Swede had had to be content with an impressive 12 assists) to extend the lead to 4:1 (45 minutes). The celebrations following Cologne's fifth goal, scored by Gogulla (who had two goals on the night; 53 minutes) hadn't died down before Head Coach Beddoes gave the fans, team and, first and foremost, Robert Müller a special moment. In view of the clear-cut scoreline, he switched goalies and made Müller's return to the ice complete triggering standing ovations, chanting and applause. “I'd like to thank Clayton Beddoes for that. It shows what kind of guy he is”, said Müller after the game. Beddoes: “We don't want to ruch Robert back. He still needs time, because he's not ready to play 60 minutes yet. Today we had the opportunity to give him some time on the ice. He needs that, as well as a lot of training, so we can see how he's doing. We have to take it day by day.”

Posted by: Greg S. | November 17, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff

according to nhlnumbers.com, Sloan's 08/09 contract pays him 475k/yr not 75-50K/yr.

I'm not crying for him too much, if he has to split the tab with Fehr.

Posted by: Capsfan78 | November 17, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan -- I'm pretty sure that's if he stays with the big team. He's not getting that $ when playing with the Bears.

Posted by: Jeff_ | November 17, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Jeff,
Yes that's his NHL salary. But take that $475K and divide by 82 games. That give you a per game salary. And he has played 8 or 9 (?) games so far for the big team. That's a pretty nice chunk of change earned in just a few weeks.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 17, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying I wouldn't take his per-game paycheck in-place of my own. My point simply was that there's a high probability that he will STILL make less than 100k (heck, 200k) this season where as Fehr will make almost 3/4 of a mil. Spliting the large dinner tab 50/50 is still crummy for him. :-)

Posted by: Jeff_ | November 17, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero,
Byfuglien is a former D-man who switched to forward at some point last season. I remember Vogs complaining that he was still listed as a Dman for a while, so Greener was rated second in D scoring for a while because of it. Thats the extent of my knowledge of him. Except maybe how to pronounce his last name.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 17, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero

From what I've seen on the Arlington Heights Herald (IL) sports blog, Byfuglien is no great deal right now. Apparently he's coasting.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 17, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

JillC,
Obviously someone did something in mnmnt's wheaties.

Posted by: _Mark | November 17, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff

Agree that his salary is less when playing in Hershey. However, don't know exactly what, but since he is under contract with the Caps he is probably making more than an AHL schlub making league minimum.

Posted by: Capsfan78 | November 17, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jill's an expert since she worked for the Caps AND now has season tickets. Let's put her up on her pedestal where she's got herself and let's all pat her on the back for being the all-knowing fan that she is.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 17, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Mark,
I'll piss in your Wheaties too.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 17, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You guys love him even more than I do to read his remark so charitably. Bless your hearts.

Posted by: large23220 | November 17, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, this sucks. Was hoping that one of the Hershey guys would get AHL Player of the Week to go along with Nicky and Alex in the NHL. I guess the guy that got it did have a pretty good week.

11/17/2008 1:00 PM - The American Hockey League announced today that Springfield Falcons goaltender Devan Dubnyk has been named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Nov. 16, 2008. Dubnyk was peppered with 124 shots over the three games and allowed only four goals, posting a 1.30 GAA, a .968 save percentage and his first career AHL shutout.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 17, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@Capsfan78 -

Yeah I think Jeff is right. Every day Sloan is up with the Caps he gets 1/187 of his $475K salary (187 days being the number of DAYS in the 07-08 season so I am assuming give or take a day its the same for 08-09)

As soon as he is back down to Hershey he is presumably making a lot less, more like 70-75K annually.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 17, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I really like people on this board with the exception of a few people; I've met several already and everyone's been super cool.

But yeah, Jill, I really think you're stupid. Anyone that has to claim previous work experience (for an organization like the Caps) and season ticket holder status; is lame.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 17, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Ohfer. It's too bad blogs don't have PIM's for fighting. XD

Greg S: Thanks for posting that. I found out a bit more about his condition here:

I wish him and his family all the best, and his club as well; if they'll do that for him, they're a class act indeed.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 17, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Regarding

J.P. posted this on fanhosue on him last year http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2007/12/01/the-ice-sheet-rough-tough-and-in-the-byf/

From the look of things, I'm pretty glad the trade didn't go through. We don't need a(nother) slow, immobile defenseman nor do we need another RW. The only way this trade works is if Kozlov becomes a C but then that still leaves Fehr/Clark fighting for ice time.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 17, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

should have read regarding Byfuglien....no way was I going to try to spell that name on my own.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 17, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@JillC

Ignore the children. All they like to do is bicker & fight.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 17, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Some notes I've found on Byf. Not exactly a credible source (he's some schmuck like us), but still get to reasons to want to trade him...and for us to NOT want him.

"I've had enough of Byfuglien. He played strong for 15 games last year. Now he's a total head case and prone to turnovers. It's maddening to watch him. The f-bomb he let loose Sunday night was heard by everyone even at the UC, even in the rafters. We felt the same way after watching you play, Dustin."

Blog entry: Posted by tbrown on Mon, 11/17/2008

Posted by: Greg S. | November 17, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I know this is old news, but why did BB use Boyd in the shootout against the Devils? I'm not sure I saw the reasoning anywhere.

Posted by: CDon | November 17, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

CDON
Good question. Our shootout should be Kozlov, Nylander, and Semin every night. If Semin is out, you put OV in there if he promises to do "the kick move." After that, I am guessing Flash will start to get some chances.

Posted by: WVPhil | November 17, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

CDon and WVPhil,
I was thinking the same thing. Those 3 the best results in shootouts. Didn't Nyls win the game for us in the last shootout?

That seemed like an obvious choice to everyone....except BB.

Why??

Posted by: CapsRockTheRed | November 17, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

My wife was even questioning that. ANd my 10 year old was questioning why OV was shooting. Maybe she should be hired as a shootout consultant for BB

Posted by: Leeguru | November 17, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I hate when the Caps go west cause the games are too late!! is anyone else annoyed that the Caps radio station moved from 107.7 to 1500 AM and 820 AM? It's AM so it's so hard to hear at night, it's not clear at all.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 17, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

mnmnt has well documented anger issues. perhaps he's just mad a women in general.

regarding gordon and shootouts. i think tarik said he didnt' ask BB directly but he though he was either (a) rewarding him for good play or (b) playing a hunch. i hope it's b. rewarding someone is nice, but we're trying to win games. give him a day off or let him get first crack at hot water in the showers. if he's not the right guy to take the shot, he should'nt do so.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 17, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Re Gordon in shootout, Tarik posted the other day that BB may have been rewarding Gordon for a good game or that BB was operating on a hunch. But Tarik didn't know for sure - he said that he didn't have the chance to ask BB that question after the game.

Posted by: Jen12 | November 17, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

i can't stop watching Ovie's buzzer beater!!! i watch it once and then replay it like 10 times, i'm so crazy!!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 17, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't have issues with women. Just idiots. Like sidehillman. I'm suprised they have the interweb in the sidehills. I've seen a bunch of your comments too, sidehillman, and you're not any better.

I can't remember anything stupid that dcsportsfan1 has said so he/she's cool with me.

Posted by: MNMNT | November 17, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

mnmnt,
You attacked JillC over a simple statement that you didn't read through. You apparently did not read the posts prior to that so that you would understand what she typed. It appears as though you simply searched her name out and pounced because she dared post. She posted nothing wrong, yet you went off. ????

No thanks on the offer to help me with my wheaties. Not sure where your anger comes from, but I do apologize for my unnecessary post earlier. You really need to relax though. I still stand by JillC in that she did not deserve the attack.

Now, back to hockey, thanks.

Posted by: _Mark | November 17, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT: Let it go, dude. :) It isn't worth it . Fact is that we're all human, and we're all going to say stupid stuff sometimes. The only person who gets hurt by your hate is you. SO not worth it.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 17, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Salary cap/Question for Sombrero:

Feds has been out awhile now and I remember reading somewhere that there is some salary cap relief if a player misses 10 games. Is that correct? If so, maybe we should sit him because it's got to be pretty close to 10 games, which amounts to $500,00 at roughly $50,000 per game missed.

Posted by: ChrisAm | November 17, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216
I guess that AM stations no longer broadcast at 50,00 watts. When I was a kid, many years ago, I listened to the Leafs & Hab's game on AM "SKIP". It was a little hard to follow the Hab's games as they were in French.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 17, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

@sidehillman
Back in the 90's when I was driving home from Hershey games I was able to listen to the third period of Fort Wayne Comets games (I forget the name of the station.) Funny thing is, BB played for Fort Wayne for a couple years and coached them a couple years, and that was probably around the time that I was listening to their games, but I don't remember him. Who would have guessed that someday he would end up in Hershey and now in DC?

Posted by: tess2201 | November 17, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I love that fact that Ovie's a Redskins fan. The DC teams should do more cross-promotions. By the way, the Atlanta Falcons starting fullback is Ovie Mughelli - that's his real first name! The two Ovie's should meet. The Atlanta Ovie too is a class act and a real community guy.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 17, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@rachel.......google federal news radio and you can listen on line......kinda hard in the car, but while at home.....

Posted by: RichC3 | November 17, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

not to get ahead of myself, but with the first multiple day off break in awhile, my mind has started to wonder --
when feds and semin are back what do the lines look like?
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kozlov
Semin - Feds - Fehr
Flash - Nylander - Laich
Gordon - Steckel - Bradley/Brash

Give Fehr 8-12 games to prove he can stick?? Honestly, its hard to break up Ov, Backis and Semin, but I really like the idea of two "1st" lines. I also love Kozlov on the first line -- there is obvious chemistry from time put in last year, and Kozlov's puck possession really creates space for ovie to do his thing.

Posted by: brooklyncapsfan | November 17, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

JMU_capsgirl and boo! are awesome. Their love for the sport comes through.

I think jill is poopoo. Mainly because of her attitude; who cares if you used to work for the Caps in 2001, or because you are a season ticket holder. People should hold you to a higher regard? Several people do that here, and this holier than thou crap is getting kind of old.

Mark,
I'll buy you a beer, and I promise not to piss in it, and we'll cheers to the next puck drop. But Jill can kiss my a**. Sidehillman is in the same category. Cheef aka Ken Jr. is a schizo so it's not even worth addressing him.

Everyone else is cool. As far as anger issues go... you can talk to anyone that has met me from here, and there aren't any anger issues, haha, you guys crack me up.

Posted by: MNMNT | November 17, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201 - That would be WoWo Radio, on AM 1190. I picked up WoWo in Atlanta once! It still broadcasts at high frequencies, but I think the weather has to be right, or you won't get it. Plus, over here, the mountains get in the way... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | November 18, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

@MNMNT - can we please stick to hockey and lay off the personal attacks? They don't come off well in print.

@Tarik: do you know what happened with Theo when he was slow to get up? Was he damaged in any way? He looked like he was seriously hurting, and that would suck. :-(

* * * * *

As I've said before: I fervently hope that the injured Caps take their time and make sure they're 100% before they try to come back and play in a game, or a rough practice. We do NOT need any re-injuries!

Speaking from personal experience, a shoulder injury the second - or third - or fourth time around takes longer to heal than the first time. Ditto with knee and ankle injuries, all of which I have personally dealt with on multiple occasions.

I don't play hockey (or any other sport for that matter), but I am a total klutz, and I'm very good at injuring - and reinjuring myself. I know how easy it is for ME to do, and there's usually no ice involved with where I'm going! ;-) When there is... well, my tailbone knows all about ice and concrete stairs, and almost 13 years later, it still twinges when I sit down wrong. So.

All kidding around and making light of injuries at my own expense aside...

PLEASE make sure you're fully healed, guys; don't push it. The older you get, the longer it takes, and the easier it is to reinjure if you're not fully healed.

Just ask my chiropractor if you don't believe me. :-p

Posted by: irockthered | November 18, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

@sidehillman - some AM stations still broadcast at 50,000 watts during the day; a handful still do so at night. They have to have Class A licensing to do so, though, and WoWo gave that up in the 1990s.

Here's some more information, for geeks like me:

Posted by: irockthered | November 18, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

@JillC - did I miss something? When did you mention being a former employee and a current season ticket holder in today's blog? Anywhere? I've been searching and searching, and I just can't find it... or requests for a pedestal. Huh. I must be going blind.

Maybe I'll apply to be a ref.

No, wait. I can't ice skate. Nevermind.

Posted by: irockthered | November 18, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure this has been published here before many times, but just came across this site. Lots of great info. This particular link answers all the questions in regards to who makes what and how much cap room we have to play with. It makes it obvious why we have such issues with calling people up from Hershey. Very little wiggle room.

Posted by: ranndino | November 18, 2008 3:30 AM | Report abuse

MNMNT - I have no idea what your previous history with JillC is, but if you were actually not what you keep calling others (an idiot) you would admit that in this particular case you jumped on her for absolutely no reason after having misread her comment. We all misread sometimes (some more then others), but those of us that actually have a brain can apologize when we have obviously attacked someone due to our own misunderstanding. Your continued attack of JillC and everyone that has stood up for her only reflects negatively on you.

I'm sure you'll call me an idiot next, but know that in the eyes of everyone here you'll be simply pinning that label on yourself by doing so.

Nothing personal. I don't know you, but chill out and show some maturity. Being unable to admit that you're at fault and continued personal attacks on anyone disagreeing with you just make you look like a fool.

Posted by: ranndino | November 18, 2008 3:51 AM | Report abuse

Why is MNMNT upset at JillC for liking Wheaties?

That's a fine.

Posted by: JSchon | November 18, 2008 5:35 AM | Report abuse

irockthered,
The things that MNMNT refer to happened some time ago, seems like months. JillC surely remembers more certain, but it just won't go away. If it was someone like Chafe/Chief/Cheef who does nothing but provoke people with negative posts 80% (or more) of the time, I might understand. I don't recall JillC doing any of that. Disagreeing is one thing, but this is just something else.

This is just a hockey blog after all, no need to draw blood. That should happen on the ice and needs to be left to Brash. :)

Posted by: _Mark | November 18, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Japers has got a must-read on the cap this morning which should answer quite a bit:

Posted by: Section117 | November 18, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Man, it looks like a war broke loose in this blog yesterday....no hockey for a couple days and people lose their minds!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 18, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say so much a war as a little squirt of drama, PhilR.

That said, no hockey for a few days? That's what Center Ice is for. Pick a game and watch -- it's very educational when you don't have much if anything at all personally invested in it. I ended up picking up the NYR/OTT game last night, and that was worth watching. A close, hard-fought game that was limited in goals but went to a shootout.

I considered watching SJ/NAS, but that ended up being a slaughter and wsa 4-0 when the NYR/OTT game was over. I like watching the close games, so I didn't bother.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 18, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

An excellent recap of our salary cap situation was posted at Japers today.

@ChrisAm

Its my understanding that the Long Term Injury Replacements don't kick in until after the team has reached the cap limit. If Feds is out for 10 games, we don't get to deduct his salary from our upper cap limit, but once we reach the ceiling we can exceed by the injured players cap number for as long as they are out.

check out http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#article_50.10 and click on long term injuries for the cliffs notes.

"Relief toward the salary cap only comes if replacing an injured player's salary would push the team over the cap, and the amount of relief is limited to the amount the team would go over the cap - not the entire amount of the injured player's salary."

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 18, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

@Kittypawz,
Wish I had center ice but I think the wife would strangle me if I watched more hockey than I already do.....besides ALL Caps games I catch hockey night in Canada when it is on NHL Network but that's about it...gotta keep the peace in my home too!!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 18, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

PhilR: Fair enough. I live alone so I get pretty much what I want. I don't watch that much TV; Center Ice is my one splurge as far as cable goes.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 18, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Center Ice rocks my sox! I ended up watching the Boston-Toronto game last night (3-2 Boston, and Toronto made them work fori t), and then the end of the 4-1 rout of the San Jose-Nashville game.

Jason Arnott (NSH Center) was treated and released from the hospital last night, and is expected to make a full recovery soon enough to maybe play in the Tampa Bay game, which is good news for the Preds. He whacked himself into the goalie and the goalpost last night hard enough to be carried off the ice on a stretcher. Owwies!

Posted by: irockthered | November 18, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

This is a problem.

I wondered why it was Sloan making the jump up and not someone else like Alzner or Lepisto?

Not that I'm upset with Sloans play, but, when you make decisions based on finances because you have very little wiggle room and not on who is the best player for the position... That is a huge issue.

I hope they do dump a salary, we are going to need it for emergencies, like M.Komisarek in Feb.

Posted by: JSchon | November 18, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Both of my favorite teams haven't played in the last couple days.. and aren't playing again until they play each other!

Caps v Kings! I hope the Caps don't stomp them TOO hard..

Posted by: _jordan | November 18, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes I miss out, not being able to read all the posts. Apparently, sometimes I do not.

The highlight of the trip is obviously San Jose. I look forward to seeing them play. I'm not saying that I was right, because it just turned out that way, but does anyone else who remembers him think that maybe Wilson has a lot to do with his teams performances? Seems like he gets them all going strong (like he did with the Caps) but then they tune him out come playoff time. Just an observation. I thought SJ was going to cup in 04. And 05. Again in 06. And 07...

Posted by: oo7 | November 18, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Komisarek and the rest of the Canadiens are going to be All Star starters. They wouldn't possibly move an All Star starter. :) The cap will be a challenge for us this year. That is why we have generally been carrying 1 short of a full roster. Making room for a late season or injury call up, but not necessarily for an acquisition for the playoff push.

Posted by: _Mark | November 18, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

@_Mark

Its not generally the reason, it IS the reason.

I'm half kidding about Komisarek, but its nice to dream about a S@H guy who can also be your muscle on the ice for 20 minutes.

Posted by: JSchon | November 18, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse