Posted at 11:21 AM ET, 01/10/2011

Alexander Semin not on the ice for Capitals' practice

By Katie Carrera

Practice just got underway at KCI and Alexander Semin, who absorbed a hip-to-thigh hit by Florida's Steve Bernier in the second period Saturday night, is not on the ice this morning. I'll have an update on his status for the upcoming set of back-to-back games after practice concludes.

A few more quick notes:
--Boyd Gordon is skating with the rest of the team for the second straight practice and is on what would be considered the fourth line with a rotation of David Steckel, Matt Hendricks and D.J. King. Over the weekend, Coach Bruce Boudreau said he anticipated Gordon, who missed nine games with a staph infection in a toe on his right foot, to be able to return within a week.

--Matt Bradley (broken finger) skated on his own prior to the start of practice as he has for several days now.

--Lines and defensive pairings this morning are as follows:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
Chimera-Perreault-Fehr
Laich-Johansson-Beagle
King-Hendricks-Steckel-Gordon

Hannan-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Schultz
Poti-Sloan

By Katie Carrera  | January 10, 2011; 11:21 AM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin, Injuries
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Boudreau on the Capitals' line combinations
Next: Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau: Southeast is 'the toughest division in the East right now'

Comments

I'm guessing he is out Tues and Wed, but hope he is back Fri. If not, then it is something more serious than a bruised thigh.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 10, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

it just didnt look that bad to me. (Yes, from my couch with out HD...)

Posted by: jerry2178 | January 10, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Crap!

@jerry

I didn't think it looked that bad either, and figured it was just sore and bruised...wishful thinking I guess.

Posted by: capscoach | January 10, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Don't like the idea of splitting up Hendricks/Steckle/Beagle as they have been great the last few games.

Posted by: PhilR | January 10, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Hannan-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Schultz
Poti-Sloan

SEE Vermont! the sky really isn't falling.

Posted by: capscoach | January 10, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

That leg got snapped around pretty good, wouldn't surprise me if he got a pulled groin out of that.

Posted by: PhilR | January 10, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game and near the spot where Semin got hurt. It took him awhile to skate back to the bench and he looked pretty pissed and in pain when he sat down. One of the coaches came over and the trainer started to come down and he wouldn't give them the time of day and kept his head down. He went back out to skate but seemed shaky.
I think he's been playing through an injury like Ovi and Backs. They need rest. No sense in them injurying themselves further.

Posted by: nicety251 | January 10, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Katie: We haven't heard anything in a while on contract negotiations. Long-term players headed toward UFA are Semin, Laich, BGordon and Bradley. Also have Knuble, Hendricks and Hannan. Any word?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 10, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

A small part of me thinks Semin doesn't want to be traded and is skating timidly as a result. Kind of like not giving GMGM some highlights to shop him around. Who knows with Semin. Strange fellow.

Posted by: nicety251 | January 10, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

brace for it - there will be an anti-semin poster on here at some point called him - the glass enigma

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 10, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Here's to hoping it is just a charlie horse and needs another day of rest. We need him in the line up (slump or no slump) and also keeps the Gin/Stecks/Snoopy line together, which I concur with PhilR...it's been clicking and would hate to see it broken up.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 10, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Let em come, I am here to defend him. I cant stand those anti-Seminites.

Katie...I ditto Tom. Any word on the contract negotiations? Seems liks re-signing Semin while in a slump favors GMGM getting a more than fair price for a few years. Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 10, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"Coach Bruce Boudreau said he anticipated Gordon, who missed nine games with a staph infection in a toe on his right foot, to be able to return within a week."

What, a whole week before he returns? I thought we showed teams how "tough" we were by playing w/pain, keeping our composure, and sticking to the system in the face of adversity. (People here correct me with those reasons when I complain about our lack of toughness.)

Knuble played w/his broken mouth, MP is playing w/a shattered nose, and Poti repeatedly comes back "early" from his variety of injuries. Forget that we've got some healthy, motivated guys who'd be chomping at the bit to get in, BB allows players to return to the lineup prematurely so he can show other teams JUST HOW TOUGH THE CAPS ARE.

I'm confident Semin won't miss much time because he's one-tough dude, so what gives with lame-o Boyd Gordon? Will our team-toughness be compromised in the eyes of our opponents because of Gordon's big toe?

How come BB acknowledges the injuries of everyone except DJK? My guess is BB doesn't want to answer any questions about DJK because, deep down, he's ashamed at how rotten he's treated him. Why don't we rid ourselves of him and send him to Hershey or just release him outright?

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 10, 2011 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone go to the casino night last night and could say if Semin was limping or anything?

Posted by: derk45 | January 10, 2011 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Semin's agent may answer Katie's questions. GMGM may share since HBO put him in a sharing mood. As my g-ma would say, strike 'while the iron's hot, Katie!

Posted by: nicety251 | January 10, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Katie
I too ditto Tom & SAOTI .........
I sure hope we re sign Hendricks, his work ethic is outstanding, I wish more of the Caps had it. He is great to watch.

Is it just me or has Mike Green regressed this year? He appears to be perfecting tea bagging the blue line.

Also now that Double Nickles is back why the hell is he not back skating with Green. All the Schultz haters be damned, Hannan has grasped the fact the he has to cover when Green goes awol, add to that what is it with Hannan he won't shoot the puck even when he has time and space.

Posted by: bqts | January 10, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad vermontcaps is giving his "expert" opinion on BGordon's injury. Cleary vermotcaps knows a lot about staph infections and the possiblity of them happening again.

You are a blowhard who wants to complain about everything, even things you have no knowledge of.

A poster(I forget who) mentioned that the negative posters do so in an effort to protect themselves. If the Caps lose, posters such as vermontcaps can say "see, I was right!" and that acutally makes those posters feel good. If the Caps win, then they will reply "I've been a Caps fan all my life and this is great. I'm so happy." So the poster wins that way also.

So they are happy no matter what the outcome, but they forget the years of being grumpy and miserable they have with all their complaining thoughout the season and never actually enjoy just watching the games.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 10, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

-bqts

it's just you :) no seriously thougyh, I think Green has looked ok...when healthy....which has not been much this season, and he has lookd great over the past couple of weeks.

Posted by: capscoach | January 10, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

wow...you are dense!

A staph infection can get REALLY bad...and the issue isn't so much pain as it is infection. He had a wound in a very delicate spot...putting his foot in sweaty skates before it healed and having it reopen while he skates is a SWELL idea! If that wound reopened in a skate he would without a doubt get another infection...i know you don't like anyone but Erskine, however letting Gordo come back early to prove he is tough would result in half his foot coming off. Grow up.

Posted by: capscoach | January 10, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@ capscoach

"I think Green has looked ok...when healthy...."

I except the health issues but really, we are 5.25m on him this year and next, do you really think we are getting our moneys worth? I know this year there is a few players this can asked of but so much is made of Mike Green and his ability.

So I ask you is looking ok good enough ??

Posted by: bqts | January 10, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@bqts

I think Green has looked awesome recently. IMO, he was the best Cap on the ice on Saturday and he was playing really well during this 6-0-2 stretch. He seems to be figuring out when to pinch and enter the offensive zone and when to stay back. I'm happy with Green's play right now.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 10, 2011 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 10, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@bqts

His scoring needs (and is now) a boost, but defensively he has been solid lately...very few GAs since the slump. I will wait until the end of the season to reserve judgement.

Posted by: capscoach | January 10, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

my word we think highly of ourselves :) There are many people on here I disagree with, but can see their point...PhilR SAOTI, TMAC, but you say things that are so out there and over the top! I am not completely conviced you believe half the stuff you say...Things can't possibly look that dark to you all the time.

Posted by: capscoach | January 10, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3

You and I must have watched 2 completely different games on Saturday but anyway opinions are like you know what :) we all have them and sometimes they stink :).
And mine is no better or worse than anyone else cause I like everyone else here is on the outside looking in.

On a lighter note one of my fav lines from the youtube video

"What kind of name is Maxime??? Is he a drag queen off the ice?"

Posted by: bqts | January 10, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

you guys are funny.

you take Semin, Green, Hannan off the Capitals and this team finishes in 4th place in the Southeast.

these players, unless replaced by similarly talented guys, are not replaceable on this roster in 2010-2011.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | January 10, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'll make sure to use that excuse the next time I call out fire in a building. Wonder how that would go over with the fire department "If it weren't for me, you guys won't be compelled to examine your fire protecting procedures."

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 10, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

meant to ask you this before...I was thinking about how you are always saying Erskine gets the raw end of the deal with the Caps, and BB treats him like garbage...

If that is the case...why did Erskine sign an extension for virtually the same amount of money with this coach and team? Obviously he does not seem to think things are as bad as you do. He is having a good season...easily could have signed with another team, epsecially a rebuilding one and gotten a "fair" deal if he thought he was being treated unfairly.

Posted by: capscoach | January 10, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach | January 10, 2011 12:46 PM

all that is irrelevant. are you not aware the caps are wimpy. without erskine in a sweater every night to light a fire under the 'softies' *sses - then this team doesn't stand a chance? :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 10, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

bqts: IMO Green has played VERY WELL defensively. Offensively his numbers are down, I'll give you that. I will say though, without Green this past Saturday, we lose. The Fehr goal was Green carrying the mail into the zone and around the net. He also scored the 2nd goal. He was all over the place. IMO, he's still a game changer.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 10, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I personally have been very happy this year with Green's game as you can tell he is concentrating on being better and more responsible in his own zone which is what a good DEFENSEMAN does. He is still learning when to take his chances in the ozone and still be responsible in his own end but I think over the last 3-4 weeks he is getting that down as well. The guy is an awesome talent and hope if the Caps have to choose between signing Semin and Green that it is Green that gets the contract.

Posted by: PhilR | January 10, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@ SeminAllOverTheIce
wait for it...wait for it...wait for it....Semin Sucks! There, I said it. Trade him! Glad to see Erskine may be back in the mix! Go Caps (yes, even though I think 28 is worthless I still love the Caps).

Posted by: joshu1 | January 10, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Eventually, we're going to have to get rid of Semin, unless he's willing to take a giant pay cut. H'e just not worth 7+ mil a year. We're going to have to lock up Alzner, Carlson, and Varly in the next few years and Semin will need to go for Caps space. While Semin has potential, he's not worth losing those 3 players.

Would you really want to see Varly, Carlson, and Alzner in a different uniform? I wouldn't.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | January 10, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Would you really want to see Varly, Carlson, and Alzner in a different uniform?
-----------

The first two, no way - but are you seriously can't be comparing Alzner to Semin?

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 10, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Fire for effect :) If I didn't come on this site and say some of the things I do, everyone here would just blow smoke up each others' rears...be glad myself and a few others compel you to examine your thoughts about the team.....shalom!"
Posted by: vermontcaps | January 10, 2011 12:37 PM