Posted at 10:59 AM ET, 01/27/2011

Capitals, Alexander Semin agree to one-year, $6.7-million extension

By Washington Post sports editors

The Capitals have signed right wing Alexander Semin to a one-year contract extension, the team has announced. Katie Carrera, en route to Raleigh for this weekend's All-Star events, reports the deal is worth $6.7 million.

Semin, 26, has 18 goals and 17 assists in 39 games. This season, Semin is tied for the league lead with three hat tricks, which came in a 35-day span from Oct. 23 to Nov. 26.

A first-round choice of the Capitals in the 2002 NHL Draft, the Russian native has 166 goals and 169 assists in 366 career games. He ranks 11th in Capitals history in goals and 19th in points.

General Manager George McPhee is expected to address reporters at 11:30, so look for updates shortly thereafter.

... Meantime, forwards Jay Beagle and Mathieu Perreault and goalie Braden Holtby have been sent back to Hershey, a move that will allow Holtby to participate in the AHL All-Star festivities set for Sunday and Monday in Hershey.

By Washington Post sports editors  | January 27, 2011; 10:59 AM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHL All Star break roundup; Ovechkin fine after being hit by stick
Next: Alexander Semin's new deal worth $6.7 million

Comments

Sign-and-trade rarely happens, if at all, unless their were previous engagements. Cap hit seems a bit high, Semin better show-up in the playoffs like his old self, unlike the MTL series, whenever he comes back.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 27, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Not shocking, but hopefully they tested the trade market before doing this one.

Posted by: Jaymagz | January 27, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

How much money do with have left? How much would we need to move for a $5m player?

Posted by: underpants2 | January 27, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Not shocking, but hopefully they tested the trade market before doing this one.

Posted by: Jaymagz |

You know that his value goes up now that he is signed thru one year and not just a rental? Right?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 27, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

OK, so I had five years, not one. I think they went with one because this year is so messed up. This could also mean extending Laich for maybe two years/$2.75M per year for now.

Posted by: tominsocal1

I don't think the Caps will ever sign a long term deal with Semin(more than 3 years). I think the Caps understand that Semin is a little enigmatic but I also think Semin likes to have the ability to leave if he chooses.

By leave, I mean head back to Russia. There is nothing wrong with it, but it does seem to be a desire of his to go back once he is done playing in the NHL.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I disagree that this is high. It seems just about right to me.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | January 27, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I disagree that this is high. It seems just about right to me.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | January 27, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

They could still trade him over the his summer, this just delays until the summer.

Now get the guy a freakin center.

Posted by: underpants2 | January 27, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I disagree that this is high. It seems just about right to me.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue |

I say it's only off by a thousand here and there, but it's not a big deal. It's a 1-year, which is appealing.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 27, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Interesting news.

I imagine a basement team would be more attracted to Semin knowing he had a year on his deal.

If he was on a basement team (thankfully not that bad here in DC), then the contending renter would probably prefer he be a pending FA.

I have personally given up on him showing up in the playoffs, but what do I know?

But my mind is operating as if this does NOT mean he will be here in DC for long....

Posted by: CF11555 | January 27, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

sgm: Not to be picky, but you are -- this is a UFA contract. The average no longer matters.

Posted by: tominsocal1

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this? I'm not trying to be snippy either, I just want some clarification on what you mean by "the average no longer matters".

I know it is a UFA contract, but if you sign a 5 year deal that only covers UFA years(as Semin's would) the average money comes down with the longer contract because you are giving the player more guaranteed money.

This is because it is the team that is taking the risk by signing the longer contract and the player is receiving more security while giving up nothing(unlike RFAs who give years as a UFA). Especially considering Semin would be past 30 for some of those contract years.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I hope this is a sign and trade. Seems they paid a bit much for a guy who cant play a full season. I think Semin has all the ability in the world, but he is to incosistant for me.. I would like to trade him for two hard nose 20 goal scores. This team needs more Matt Hendricks, but with more scoring ability. Not bashing Semin, just don't think he plays hard enough night in night out, but I guess that can be said for this entire team. If they don't trade him I hope he shows up the rest of the season..

Posted by: CapsBaby | January 27, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I think this past stretch has certainly shown how important he is to our offense...great signing...now get him healthy and get him a center to play with. Another wing would be good since Chimera, Laich, Fehr, Knuble, Beagle; Gordon; Hendricks; Bradley couldn't score in a whorehouse.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 27, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

This move insures we will not lose him for nothing over the summer. He won't be a Cap next season unless he does something in the postseason.

Posted by: underpants2 | January 27, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 27, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 27, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: underpants2 | January 27, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand what Semin's trying to do here, I could understand him signing an one-year deal last year but I don't get this one.

Is he still holding out for a bigger deal?

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Is he still holding out for a bigger deal?

Posted by: joek443 |

Could have been GMGM this time.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 27, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I would be shocked if they signed him to move him unless Semin was on board with it.

Players all over the league would hate the Caps management if they did that and players would not trust GMGM anymore. It would not be a good move to make unless Semin was on board with it.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Watch Semin get hurt again before the playoffs even start. He must be on the Boyd Gordon exercise regimen. Complete with nerf weights.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

well I'm sure Semin would have gotten long term offers from several teams in the off-season.

guess he doesn't wanna go anywhere else then...

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I still think we need a center and another D-Man.

Ditch the nerf weights!

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | January 27, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, Beagle comes back. Sloan wasn't mentioned but I've already forgot about him. Maybe he stays down, too.

Congrats to Sasha Semin. Now, stay healthy and score please. Your boys have been waiting for you to sign and get back IMO.

Posted by: nicety251 | January 27, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I believe Semin knows where his bread is buttered. Caps have created an environment that is welcoming to the Russian players, three on the roster now, more on the way, OV is the centerpiece of the franchise. If Semin were traded, he would bolt to KHL asap, that's why he goes for short term contracts.

Could you imagine how badly he would wilt in a big pressure city like NY, Philadelphia or Toronto?

Posted by: je121819 | January 27, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

he'd wilt like a daffidol in those towns. He's about as coddled a player as there is. He'd be a huge target in bigger hockey towns.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

But I bet Erskine's happy he gets to play with Hannan.
--------------cstanton1-------------------

I've never seen Johnny so active in the o-zone as he's been since being paired w/Hannan. I saw your comment about liking Sloan more than ****55 and how he's been oft-maligned here. I thought Fahey looked good his last call-up when he paired with Erskine for 2 games. Quite frankly, Erskine has been the glue that's held the backline together this year. He's had to adjust to rotating partners all year while the others are entitled to some continuity and stability.

@sgm3
You asked a couple threads back what people thought about Alzner's play. Well, you and I have gone round and round about his "heart" and quality of play in the past. I'm glad to see he's starting to play to the potential you and many others said he had. Glad to see that he, too, must've been reading these threads because he seems to have taken my complaints to heart and is working hard to address them. Two thumbs up for Alzner's play the last 5-6 weeks.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

this seems like a very easy to move contract. i suspect if he fails to produce in the playoffs, he's gone this summer.

Posted by: ophelia2 | January 27, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

@ ophelia - If we make the playoffs!

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | January 27, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

While I rarely if ever toot my horn I told you guys this would happen. And stop this noise of he's now got better trade value. While that is true, he isn't going anywhere. His value to us is more than any other team is willing to put up.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 27, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Stop bashing Semin!! I don't know what you were watching during the playoffs. If you remember correctly Semin was the best player the Caps had during the playoffs, he was flying... It just so happen that H was simply put awesome for Montreal.

Posted by: riceldi | January 27, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

For people questioning contract value:

It is high compared to the Sedins making 6.1. But it's low compared to Vanek at 7.125. Actually I had him pegged at 6.7 as "Gaborik less 10%."

This could become a pattern with Semin, doing one year every January. Let's face it - it's more security than the rest of us have, no?

sgm: I think had it been 2, 3 or 4 years, still the same dollar figure per year. 6.7 is and will be around Semin's value unless he hits 50 goals or falls off dramatically.

BTW, if this were a "stock market," we'd see the following "stocks" judged as follows:

BEAR: Laich, Knuble, Poti (except he's signed...why? Why in God's name???)

BULL: Carlson, Hendricks

CONSOLIDATING: Semin, Green, Varly

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 27, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see this was done. Seems right and seems smart.

We need him back in the lineup now.

Posted by: Justafan | January 27, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@pokerface

Congrats, sir (or ma'm). I look forward to your posts.

Posted by: nicety251 | January 27, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Semin was offered a multi year contract but didnt want it.

This deal is absolutely stupid unless he is part of a trade, which I highly doubt he will be now. Why give him $6.7M now when you could wait to see what he does the rest of the season and in the playoffs.

Unless GMGM pulls off a great deal at the deadline this extension is the one that should get him fired. He thinks this team can win it all as constructed. I hope Ted opens his eyes after this season but I doubt it.

Posted by: ThePat | January 27, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"The Caps are also sending Beagle, Perrault, and Holtby back to Hershey for AHL All-Star weekend."

I think those were salary cap moves. By being off the Caps roster for the week it creates a little more cap room for the Caps.

My guess is that Holtby stays down(with Neuvy coming back) and MP stays down. I think BB will go with either BGordon as the other center or possibly Beagle.

The Caps need Sloan to get healthy so they can send him to the minors.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Notes to self after last night's game:

-yes, the Caps D is definitely better. But that's only worth so much when the O / PP are futile.

-Erskine is looking good, as has been the case most of this year.

-I'd like more DJK; he was playing hard the last couple games, going max effort in ~30second shifts, skating fast, even creating some O chances

-Caps continue to have a losing record against +.500 teams. Wins against Leafs, Isles nothing to get too proud of

-Could this all-star break be the opportunity to finally fire BB? A few days between games, coming off a disappointing stretch that is made only slightly more tolerable by the 8 game losing streak that preceded it? I hope so.

Personally, I'm ready to stop watching the Caps unless they fire BB or game 82 is over, whichever comes first. Once playoffs start, I will support the Caps no matter what, but for now I am too disappointed to keep cheering for the same group of guys and their coach.

Posted by: PSD1 | January 27, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Notes to self after last night's game:

-Erskine is looking good, as has been the case most of this year.

Posted by: PSD1 | January 27, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: riceldi | January 27, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: riceldi | January 27, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

I do not think this deal would get GMGM fired. Signing guys to 1-year deals is not a problem, it gives the Caps flexibility moving forward.

You asked why didn't they wait, well if they waited Semin may have been offered $8M/yr(as some analysts were predicting) in the open market. Then the Caps would have raised their prices.

Personally I was hoping it would be more around $6.3-$6.5M, but I like that it is only for 1-year.

The deal could actually help makes a trade for a guy who has at least one-year remaining on his contract. The Caps now have a much better idea how much cap room they will have next year and where they can spend it.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Notes to self after last night's game:

-Erskine is looking good, as has been the case most of this year.

Posted by: PSD1 | January 27, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

This could mean a few things. Could be a sign and trade. Could mean they aren't planning on getting a 2nd line centre by the deadline so they want him to be around next season either to give Johansson another year to develop, or if they intend to pickup a centre in the off-season but won't decide which goalie to move until after the playoffs. Or they could be thinking of a centre who has some time left on his contract (possibly Fisher?) and they want to make sure he has a wing to play with next season if they give some assets away to get him.

Either way, a signing before the deadline makes it look like they've made a decision on what they're doing by the trade deadline.

Posted by: Stu_c | January 27, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

-Erskine is looking good, as has been the case most of this year.

Posted by: PSD1 | January 27, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Like it or not, PSD1, you just became one of my favorite posters with this gem!! I hope you have a great weekend and unexpected wealth comes your way...keep up the good posts

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@ ThePat: a multi-year deal? For how much money?

Posted by: ophelia2 | January 27, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu_c | January 27, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

It means nobody else will be getting a pay raise when their contracts come up this offseason. This is a good deal for Semin it must mean that the free market wouldn't have pitched him more than $6 million on a long term deal...also means maybe he doesn't want to play somewhere else without approval - I wonder if a no trade is part of that signing?

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | January 27, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Or it could just mean that Semin will play here another year.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 27, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: riceldi

Best player? He got 0 goals and only 2 assists. Backstrom and Ovechkin each had 5 goals. Semin took a ton of shots, but not many good ones. He didn't really make much useful happen, didn't play physically, and took a couple of bad penalties. I thought he was way better the year Washington lost to Philly but went downhill after that.

Posted by: Stu_c | January 27, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

wasnt saying wait till he's a UFA but negotiate right after the season. And I know one year deals dont get you fired, its called he keeps re-signing the whole team and if the team fails again he clearly is wrong in thinking that the team as currently put together can win...and that would get him fired.

@ophelia

No idea how long the offer was or for what money. But GMGM said it on the conference call that they offered a multi year deal, Semin wanted a one year deal.

Now I have no clue why the kid keeps wanting a one year deal. That is stupid on both he and his agents part. If he gets hurt he ends up losing money in the long run.

Posted by: ThePat | January 27, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: riceldi

Posted by: Stu_c | January 27, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------
Stu you clearly need to watch Semin more. He was by far the best player in the MON series last yr. Making statements that he didn't play physical is like saying P Bure didn't play physical. He clearly dominated the ice when he was out there, the end result just didn't happen so you didn't see him on the stat sheet. You're not basing players performance just on stats are you? Hmmmm......

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 27, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@LSD#1

I got so excited reading your post that I didn't finish reading the whole thing....Now that I have, I should have pasted your entire post as I CAN'T STAND BB AND WANT HIM GONE ALSO!!

I share your frustrations as I've posted on occasion that I'll be rooting for certain individuals but not necessarily the team as a whole....isn't that sad??

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, Semin had turned down a multi-year deal. If that is the case, it was probably a multi year deal at about 5.5 M per year. So, Semin gets more money and a shorter term.

Will the strategy work for Semin in the long run? Provided he stays free of a career ending injury.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 27, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Vermont - you've been telling it like it is re: Erskine all year (especially last couple months). You've been bang on - keep it up.
if the unexpected wealth comes this weekend, I trust we'll all be sharing it (most of us at least)

Posted by: PSD1 | January 27, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

This signing is a bust and this team is a bust. What in the F is Ted Leonsis doing while his money is being frivolously spent??

Posted by: doughless | January 27, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

If MP was sent back down...does anyone thing that means a trade for a center is comeing...I guess Boyd Gordon could fill in on the 3rd line...but who knows how long he'll last.

A 1 yr 6.7 mil extension seems reasonable...this is really his last chance to earn a big time contract, so hopefully he will bring it...if he doesn't start playing and if he doesn't perform in the playoffs, no team will risk making a big signing with him.

Posted by: capscoach | January 27, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

As pokerface stated earlier, I think the Caps are making plans in which they do not bring back Knuble.

@pokerface

I have a question for you on the Caps and Brooks Laich. Is it already considered a given that the Caps will re-sign him or are they entertaining the possibility of letting him walk?

Overall I have liked what GMGM has done, but I think his major flaw is overpaying players when he re-signs Caps.

A few examples are Steckel, Sloan, Erskine(sorry vermontcaps, I am all for keeping Erskine but $1.5M/yr is too much for him) and Poti.

Now I don't think Semin really falls into that(I think around $6.7M for one year is okay), but I always get worried when GMGM re-signs players. Not because he retained that player, but because he overpaid that player.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

To me the signing is a positive step forward in a potential trade.

He is now signed at a reasonable number IF he meets the 40 goal plateau in 2011-2012.

As far as being what the doctor ordered, Semin fell off the radar screen after the first 30 games and then has been injured.

So, he was slumping badly after his fast start before the injuries and the 8 game losing streak.

He needs to get back out on the ice.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | January 27, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------

LOL well we now all know why this team stinks in the playoffs, don't we?

The "best" player produces NOTHING on the scoring sheet when that's exactly what he's paid to do.

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to GMGM right now on NHL Live via NHL Network and he just stated that this is want Semin wanted and he is happy to do this type of deal with any player. It shows "confidence." I didn't hear the part about a no trade/no movement but he also addressed that with this contract. He made a side joke that at first they thought he was on par for a 50-70 goal season & would be asking for $15 mil. He confirmed that Semin was playing with a "pulled groin" and they decided to shut him down to make sure that it healed properly.
He addressed the power play and other issues. They are (staff?) meeting today to discuss/review.
Pretty good interview. GMGM is getting chatty.

Posted by: nicety251 | January 27, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

to me this capitals team is a living argument for why long-term, big money contracts are a stupid thing for owners and GMs to do.

Posted by: doughless | January 27, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

It could be that Semin will never sign a long-term deal because he just doesn't want to be tied down. Some of you mention he is "giving up security."

OK, between the years 2008-2012, Semin will have been paid $21.9M.

$21.9M.

How much will you make in your lifetime?

For myself, I'm am using 2011 dollars. So I'm backing out merit to get back to 1979 (when I started working) but not deescalating. In 2011 dollars, from 1979-2019, I will make about $5M give or take. For my lifetime. Semin gets 4 times that for only 4 years. How much security does he need?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 27, 2011 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless

I agree with this. I don't believe it is prudent to sign any deals longer than 5 years, and 5 years is long.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting. Time to track other teams to see if they're doing the same thing. A previous poster said sign-and-trades are rare. Not out of the question, though.

Posted by: McLobo | January 27, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PSD1

stop watching them! Find another team! You have 29 0thers to choose from :)

I am frustrated with the caps just like you and many others. How we went from a goal scoring monster to a less than 2 goals a game team is very annoying! But I have been a skins fan and a Caps fan since birth. Coaches and GMs have hard jobs and the complexities of the team are beyond anyone on here. A dissapointing season or 2 is no reason to give up on a team or switch allegiencecs...and I know some of you old folks will say it has been like this forever...but in reality, lots of teams face the same issues we are dealing with, nothing we do can change the coaching staff or ovies slump, so either learn to be a true fan or go cheer for Detroit!

You people act like it is personal. the caps are struggling...maybe it is BBs fault ( I don't pretend to know) but it's what we got...so I will recognize that we are having MAJOR scoring issues, but I will also recognize that we are still in the top 6 in the east, haven't lost a game in regulation in quite some time, the PK is fabulous, our D is looking good, and if we can just learn to score again we will be in pretty good shape...We're in a semi-crappy situation, but stop acting like we are in dire straits and the team is dying...just TRY to get some enjoyment out of them...life isn't worth being this negative.

Posted by: capscoach | January 27, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

NO, Joe Johnson of the ATL Hawks getting a max contract is that.

And there are plenty of those examples in the NBA... ever heard of Agent Zero??

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I know the offense started a downward trend before Semin went down, but we need him back. Has anyone noticed a lot less odd man rushes from our opponents, which in turn has lead to less odd man rushes for the Caps. I'm sure this has to do with us being more discilplined on the ice. However, if we have more skilled players on the ice our percentage of converting should be higher than our opponents. I can't explain our ineffective powerplay and our futility in the shoot outs.

Posted by: tomdchancar | January 27, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tomdchancar | January 27, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

This was on TEB's twitter "GMGM says Alexander Semin was offered a multi-year deal, but the winger wanted a one-year extension."

That is interesting. Also I think why all the guys were sent down is because that way we can bank a little extra cap space over the break and they can be called back up if we need them when we start playing again.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 27, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------

LOL well we now all know why this team stinks in the playoffs, don't we?

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------
LMAO! There could be something to that huh?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 27, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Also as much as this team stinks on offense right now, it's still just one problem. The rest of the team is more solid than it was last year.

My guess is that they're still in transition and everyone is thinking defense first. Basically they're trying to get rid of all the bad habits developed in the last 2 years.

However there's no guarantee that they will find the right balance and go farther in the playoffs this year. At the end of the day systems can only get you a certain point, you gotta have the personnel.

Compare the 3-4 defense of the Packers and the Stillers to that of the Skins, they look NOTHING alike.

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

BTW Joek, I've been meaning to say for a bit that I have enjoyed your posts lately. See it isn't so bad NOT being so negative all the time is it? :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 27, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"At the end of the day systems can only get you a certain point, you gotta have the personnel."

Agree completely.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

This was a good move for all involved. The Caps removed any doubt that Semin will be with the team through the end of the season and doesn't lock them into paying him big $'s for a 5-yr. deal which he would have been able to obtain on the open market. There was no assurances the Caps would have gotten anything for him if we became a FA after the season. It also removes the pressure on Semin as they move into the 2nd half and the playffos. Lie him or not, he was the Caps best two-way player the first two months of the season.

It's not a coincidence that the 2nd line has had virtually no scoring threats besides those created by Johannsen in the last few weeks. Chances are that Semin bumps Knuble down to the third line or possibly back to the first (if Chimera fizzles). This also probably signals the Caps are serious about getting a true 2nd line center to play with Semin.

Ovie has played great the last two nights but nothing to show for it on the scoreboard. Let's hope this will carry over after the playoff break.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 27, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@ poker,

I don't know if they're gonna find the right balance but at least they're trying.

I still say they should have started playing this style from Game 1 instead of in December. But better late than never.

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Did I read that someone said Semin was best player last year v. MTL?? Are you serious? True he had a ton of shots, but shots doesn't = quality shots. A shot at the goalie's chest from center ice can count as a shot.

Backstrom was the star games 1-4 without a doubt. He singlehandedly won game 2 with an unbelievable hat trick.

Posted by: MattBradley10 | January 27, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Completely agree! So nice to see a comment with a long-term perspective.

Teddy and company were betting that an offense-first team could win in the "New NHL." It was worth a try. But we've all learned now that the New NHL is a lot like the Old NHL once the playoffs start.

Posted by: garbageout | January 27, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@tomdchancar:
I certainly have noticed the odd man rushes situation. I don't know the numbers, but I'd like to. Why doesn't that stat guy do something on that? In other words something I'm interested in. :)

@joek443:
I agree that the team is more solid and defensively responsible. They've changed. So why won't their captain change? Like I said before Ovechkin's bread and butter plays that worked in the past just aren't working. The plays I'm referring to are both driving down the left wing. One he uses the D as a screen the other he cuts to the middle. He did at least one of each in the 3rd period of last night's game and both were shut down. Speaking of stats, how many times did a shot get through on the d screen play last year versus this year? I thought he might have learned something from the in tight goals he scored recently most notably against the Leafs, but he hasn't.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 27, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Just wondering why the Caps cannot play two different styles of play. Say the top two lines play like they did last year and the other two lines play the defense style who normally play the other teams top lines. I dont understand. Or why not start out the beginning of a game foot on the gas then play the D approch.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | January 27, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@riceld - I'm totally with you - in the last 3 games of the Mtl series he was our best forward (we didn't know that Nicky was nicked..).

He was on the ice for ZERO goals against in those last three games and there was no forward who created more legit opportunities for goals. When you're a "creative" player your job is to create. He put the puck right on Chimmer's stick for a sitter that would've tied the game at the death last year and it was the right play. He did take a bunch of bad shots, but he also got more penetration and more shots to the net, through traffic, than any other player. And he played his ass off.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | January 27, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

overall, a great signing. Yes, I would've preferred two years at 6.0 but this is great for both the team and the player. He gets a little more than he would get in a multi-year and the team gets another "contract" year out of him. He gets a "re-do" on his contract year, plus with the generous money, incentive to show he's worth it this year. We are not tied down long term and have some real talent in the pipeline. If we can have Kuz centering Ovie and Nick centering Semin, we should be good...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | January 27, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

This reported out of the central PA news:

The Perreault and Beagle assignments were paper transactions. They aren't scheduled to report to Hershey.

Posted by: kjohnskipc | January 27, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse