Posted at 4:17 PM ET, 12/ 7/2010

In sixth season with Caps, Alexander Semin is still a mystery

By Washington Post sports editors

(Photos by Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

A third of the way through his sixth season with the Capitals, Alexander Semin is on pace for a career-best campaign with 18 goals and 33 points through 29 games. While teammates say he's shown more personality in the locker room, he's still a mystery to the outside world, and it remains to be seen whether Washington is a long-term fit for the 26-year-old Russian, whose one-year, $6 million contract is set to expire at the conclusion of the season.

"Everything is going well here," Semin said through a translator. "I want to continue winning, to stay here. I want to win the Cup here. It's a good team, with good coaches and training staff. I'm not thinking much further ahead now. Once there's an offer, I will, but I'm comfortable with this team."

Click here to read the full story.

By Washington Post sports editors  | December 7, 2010; 4:17 PM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mathieu Perreault shines in loss to Leafs
Next: A Caps-centric farewell to Michael Wilbon

Comments

Great article, Katie.

Funny to hear Backstrom, who rarely talks himself, say he wished Semin spoke more.

Unless his agent makes a stand at a crazy high dollar amount, I'd bet Semin is a Cap next year.

Posted by: fesslercw | December 7, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

6 Years and a translator, case closed.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 7, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Manny Ramirez still need a translator even though he was born and raised in NYC??

Posted by: joek443 | December 7, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Ted's an investor in Rosetta Stone language-learning software. I hope he gave a copy to Semin at some point. :)

Even with all the goal-scoring, I'm most impressed with Semin's defense and his penalty killing. Yes, he still takes the occasional stick penalty that makes you yell "DOH!" But this year that seems more often just a case of trying too hard.

As far as the playoff monkey, there's really nothing he (or the team, for that matter) can do until next Spring. I just hope the Caps team of the first 45 or so minutes last night is what we see then. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | December 7, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

trade him. Good trade value. He's playing a little harder now even though he still skates away from his checks. Trade him before you lose him. Then you'll have nothing to use in return to fill that void.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 7, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"I loved when he planted himself in front of the net last night to help screen on MP's goal."

@blackjack65

Good point

Posted by: sgm3 | December 7, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

6 Years and a translator, case closed.

Posted by: LarryDavid

lmao!

hey larry, i saw the cast of your show doing a celebrity ski event. Cheryl Hines lookin good!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 7, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid: You're a Jack A just like the character you chose as an ID. Tell you what, you want to understand what he says, learn Russian or shut the heck up.

This has absolutely nothing to do with ANYTHING discussed on here but I am out of town on business and was just thinking about something while day dreaming which I have an opportuntity to do when away from the craziness.

Something that just came to mind when reading this posts is how the Bit$#ers on here, who are these supposed long time fans, also BIT$*&d when the Caps preseason games weren't televised. Well, not sure why I thought about this when it came up in September. All of you claiming to be these long time fans that are tired of the Capitals post season failures because you have experienced them all too many times, and you complain because you don't understand why a preseason game isn't on, and you feel slighted because it wasn't, cannot, I repeat cannot be long time Caps fans. WHY? Because not all that long ago Capitals coverage was so bad that you were lucky if 65 of their games were televised. Before the days of NHL Center Ice you caught the Capitals on HTS (Home Team Sports) for their home games and either DC20 or channel channel 50 something showed SOME of the road games. If you were lucky HTS might replay a Caps game if they chose not to show it live too.

Anyhow, was just thinking about how many come on here claiming to be long time fans and little things like that make it quite clear they have come along since the Caps re-donned red.

Am I sick to my stomach about the Caps game yesterday? Heck yeah, I had to sit in the lobby of a hotel to watch the game on NHL Online because the ethernet signal in my room is not nearly good enough for streaming video, and the wireless signal is only available in another building. So I had to sit in public and watch the train wreck. Not until I packed up my laptop and headed across the dark parking lot could I cry.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 7, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

6 years and a translator, Case Closed.

Wake up people, this guy could care less.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 7, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Sure, the outcome of this study was obvious... http://kotaku.com/5708491/hate-will-bring-us-together

Posted by: born_rpm | December 7, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and you Redskins fans that want to complain about lack of success need to get a grip too. The Redskins have WON three Superbowls and have been to five. There are 14 teams that have never won a Superbowl and four that have never even gone. We'll consider this a lost season so they have been in 5 of the 55 superbowls. That means they play in 1 out of every 11 Superbowls. I'll take that!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 7, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: Sure missed you. BWAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, right, I enjoyed your time away while you threw your tantrum. Thought you changed your ID to BigGameSid.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 7, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Semin doesn't want to talk to reporters, who will take anything he says and try to twist it into a controversy for their own gain. Therefore, he is a "mystery."

Makes sense to me. Any normal person would want to get raped in the press.

Posted by: zmega | December 7, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Semin is a very good player but he hasn't done anything to distinguish himself as an elite player. And an elite player is one who can raise his level of play in the post-season.

Peyton Manning is a great football player but I don't consider him an elite player even though he's been to two SBs and has won one. Because he's been an average post-season QB.

Both Manning and Semin have years left to change that but so far neither has been able to raise their level of play in the playoffs.

Posted by: joek443 | December 7, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Posted by: heathdog1119 | December 7, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Peyton Manning was recently named the 8th greatest NFL player EVER. Anyone who would not consider him an elite player over his career is an idiot.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 7, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Just for fanohock1's info, I am a long time fan. I grew up watching during the late 70's. There wasn't cable or internet! Catching some games on DC20 and going to the Cap Center. It was great when cable and HTS showed up.
I would suggest that MP & Semin should be considered joined at the hip for the rest of the year. These two should play together on the 2nd line and MaJo should be 3C.
It was 4-2 last night when I went out to turn on the Christmas lights and take out the trash. 4-4 when I got back. I guess the Caps weren't the only one that thought it was over. They won't fool me again. Too bad the Leafs didn't think it was over in the 3rd.

Posted by: chriscaps | December 7, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

"how many of these CI posters on here do you think can name the 4 parking sections at the old Cap Centre?"
Posted by: heathdog1119 | December 7, 2010 6:17 PM

Liberty Bell, Capitol, Eagle and Stars and Stripes

What do I win?

(other than a 55 minute ride in the dark on the suicide circle to get back to Va after the game)

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | December 7, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Translator should tell him NHL does NOT mean "No Hit League"

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 7, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Up until last spring, Semin's been terrific in the playoffs, averaging over a PPG. And the list of Caps who didn't meet playoff expectations against MTL [other than Varly, Carlson, Backs, Poti and Ovie] is a long one, so I fail to understand why the media always singles Sasha out - Schultz, Knuble, Fehr, Laich, etc., - it's a long freaking list.

Semin has been terrific all year, and makes his linemates better - that is very rare at the NHL level. Without him we have no scoring from the 2nd line whatsoever. I definitely hope they sign him, in the playoffs you absolutely need two scoring lines.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 7, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid, you're a much better comedian than a hockey analyst; I don't know too many guys who could walk way from a mugging from Komisarek like Semin did [causing tons of confusion for Gus in the slot] on MP's 2nd goal without winding up on the IR.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 7, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1

Semin has not scored in his last 14 playoff games.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 7, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Up until MTL - and btw name one other than those five I named above who didn't disappear - he averaged OVER a PPG - that is an excellent rate of playoff scoring. And even with the MTL meltdown [which includes the coaching staff, IMHO] he still has 24 pts in 28 playoff games. Pretty damn good, considering he has yet to play with a legit #2C.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 7, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1

i bet you did. That way your inaccurate observations (Engelland = AHL goon) could continue unchecked. Much like any player Semin is bearing down on.

yuk yuk!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 7, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 |

i figured you for a cryer.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 7, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1

Semin played every PP, with all the best Caps, still nothing. Much of the playoffs 2 years ago, he played with Backstrom, OV played with Fedorov.

I just don't know how we can commit to this guy when he can't put the puck in the net when we need him to. Regular season success aside.

I know I will get killed by many, but perhaps his true value is in a trade.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 7, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1

Semin has a phenomenal skill level. His work ethic doesn't come close to that. I'll take some of the Detroit skill players over Semin because I know those guys will consistently give a good effort and that's why if they go thru a scoring drought its more excusable. Semin's performance v the Habs is being vastly overstated by some. As is the fact he hasn't been scoring in the playoffs. Great players can play very well and still get snake-bitten. To scapegoat them is unfair.
But Semin's not one of those guys. He hasn't earned the right to be excused for his lack of point production in big games. And if Ovechkin continues to play inconsistent hockey, then I think he should also get criticism if he underperforms on the scoring sheet in the playoffs this year. He used to have a 4th line work ethic. Until his recent surge he's been playing like a cherrypicker. The only real consistent force on our top lines is Backstrom.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 7, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

In Russia mystery means = pay me i play fairly hard for regular season to get bonus money then bail out in playoffs when Mother Russia and vodka interest me and OV more than this Stanley Cup thing

Posted by: wendel2 | December 7, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Semin the best Capital all year. Folks other than last year he average a point per game in the playoffs. His linemates did not good in the playoff. How many shots did Semin take during the playoffs? Also here is a great goal in the Junior, Inspiring. Semin could do this because he is apparently one heck of a soccer player.

Posted by: pkme | December 7, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Semin the best Capital all year. Folks other than last year he average a point per game in the playoffs. His linemates did not play well in the playoffs. How many shots did Semin take during the playoffs? Also here is a great goal in the Junior, Inspiring. Semin could do this because he is apparently one heck of a soccer player.

Posted by: pkme | December 7, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

sorry for double post. somehow when I was editing it posted the poorly worded version.

Posted by: pkme | December 7, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Cody Eakin heating it up today in the WHL against the Chilliwack Bruins in B.C. Cody scored the hat trick and picked up an assist to lead the Broncos to a 5-4 win over the Bruins. He now has 15 goals and 19 assists in 28 games. A similar pace to Semin.

Posted by: dull | December 7, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad he likes it here, he is one fun to watch skater, his talent is awe-inspiring, especially as he becomes more of a 2way player. - Hope he's here for a long time, & wish he'd do interviews, like post game ones.

Posted by: Hattrik | December 7, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

------------

Yes, and he was terrific those entire playoffs - maybe our best player in the 1st round, IMO - he was finally playing with a real center!

As for the DET comparison, well, fair enough but it's not like we're loaded with guys who play like Datsyuk, Zetta, Bert and Franzen every night. And I do think Semin's a much harder worker than people give him credit for. He's taking hits to make plays, and he's been a much more reliable outlet on the breakout than i.e., Knuble [to name one] all season; he almost always gets the puck out, and usually right to somebody.

RE: Ovie - maybe I'm wrong but I wonder if his buddy's contract

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 7, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

"...is weighing on his mind, on some level"

Sorry for the incomplete thought on the end, pretty poor editing by yours truly!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 7, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: I cry whenever you are here because I'm laughing so hard because you think everyone is waiting for your expertise. You are a friggin' joke.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 7, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@chriscaps

On MP being up the rest of the year. That is strictly up to him. If he quits going out and drinking most nights and shows up on time to team meetings and plays consistently then he will probably stay up the rest of the season. If he is just playing well and not cutting out the other activities he will be traded at the deadline. He is IMMATURE and that is why he has never been kept up at the NHL level for an extended look.

Posted by: ThePat | December 7, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Imagine how awesome this team would be if they weren't partying and boozing it up all the time.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 7, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Good article about our painfully shy Siberian sniper. But at least he's opening up to teammates more.

And hopefully will stay with the Caps.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 7, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to post on a different subject but its worthwhile. I know some of you have seen this, but if not have a look. It is one of the best speeches ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

If you can support the V Foundation.

Posted by: ThePat | December 7, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Who cares that he doesn't speak english? As long as he scores goals and able to communicate with his teammates thats enough. Press must be upset thou, they need to waste time to listen to the translator when Semin scores a hat-trick.

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | December 7, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 7, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

maybe we should trade him, but who will score goals for this team?

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | December 7, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

@TominSoCal (from previous thread),

Yes, I was chugging the goat's blood last night. And was mighty PO'd. And wondering if rooting for this team is like rooting for Sisyphus, the guy in Hades who was condemned to push the rock up the hill and when he'd nearly get to the top, the rock would come hurtling down and he'd have to start all over.

(I'm sure a few wins would make me feel better.)

Is the glass half full or half empty? Well it depends on the function being applied to the glass. If drinking, the glass is half empty and the amount is decreasing. If pouring, the glass is half full and the amount is increasing.

At the moment, the team's in a skid so the glass is half empty. (Long term prospects for winning the regular season -- half full) After last night, a decreasing function and half empty glass(and the first derivative is negative).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 7, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat |

Is this true?

Posted by: underpants2 | December 7, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 & heathdog1119

I recall those parking lots at the Capital Center. Between my husband & I, we were able to name the parking lots.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 7, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

We'll see how long MP stays up. Hopefully, for the year.

But at the very least we'll see him up for the duration of Schultz' injury as I assume he'll be on LTIR. So that covers the roster spot, even when Sloan is eligible to return.

And for those who are complaining of Perreault's immaturity, the guy's 22, almost 23. How mature were some of you?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 7, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2

Me and friends have seen him out doing a little too much. And apparently others have as well. Read: http://www.japersrink.com/2010/12/6/1858320/caps-recall-perrault#comments

And Corey references off ice issues in his nhl.com article: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=545529

@capsfan75
I know hes only 22, but like BB said he has to act like a pro. Im not against these guys going out and having a good time but from the sounds of it Perrault was doing it way more often than others and it was a problem.

Posted by: ThePat | December 7, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 7, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

none of us were in the nhl then ;) point is, there are lots of players younger than MP in the league who are mature beyond their years....if MP wants to stay up, he needs to be professional in all aspects...GO MATTY P, TEAR IT UP!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 7, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

semin told me this:
"Темную сторону", чтобы встретиться на моем месте. BYOGB (принести свои козы крови)

(translate.google.com)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 7, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

You're only a true fan if you can say how many urinals there were at the Capital Centre! Actually one time I was leaving one of the previously mentioned parking lots and a fellow Caps fan rear ended me. I remember this only because I was hit twice more from behind in the next week. After the 3rd time I found myself gripping the steering wheel tightly and looking in the rear view mirror more than I looked out the windshield!
Anyway I like BB, but he is the constant here. Maybe the team needs a more solid hand (maybe not a Mike Keenan type) but I'm only putting it out there for conversation...

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 7, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 7, 2010 10:30 PM

adding fuel to fire are we? :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 7, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Good one, Captain Kirk, on the Russian for dark side. And where did the drinking of goat's blood originate?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 7, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Bob Hartley or the Hitch instead of BB, at least those coaches won Stanley Cup

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | December 7, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

BB has done an outstanding job opening up the offensive game and bringing this team to a level that Hanlon couldn't comprehend. However maybe BB just can't close the deal. Not trying to undermine him, just wondering if the team would benefit from a tougher hand at the wheel?

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 7, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

@Capt: Hilarious

@CapsFan75: You've been away from CI for too long. Tominsocal originated the three groups of fans: The Dark Side/Goats Blood Drinkers think all is doomed and we will never win anything. The KoolAid Drinkers think all is peachy keen and the Caps can do no wrong. Most of us belong to the third group, the Fence Sitters, because we can see both sides and haven't yet decided where we want to be.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 7, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

@TominSoCal

I read your last night's post on the need for a checking line to shut the door when we have a lead.

We certainly lack that element. After last night's contest, I was actually of the mind to bench our top line if we ever have a lead with only 5 minutes to go, sit them out and have our lower three lines out there to protect the lead. (Although Knuble could move to Line 2

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 7, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201

Don't worry, Tess. I haven't been away that long and recall Tom originating the categories. But I do wonder if drinking goat's blood was something that originated in ancient Slavic cultures; hence my mention of Russia. (Okay, too much Dracula here.)

Will admit that I was trending very dark side last night, to say the least, and wondering if the Caps would ever win anything.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 7, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 7, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'm tired of what the man's selling, which these days, seems to be everything but the kitchen sink. Do people recall a post of mine, hoping Toronto would leave town w/BB and leave us Ronny Boy (creator of THE GREATEST 4TH LINE IN HISTORY). I saw one team playing for themselves and their coach; the other team mailed it in and I don't know who they were playing for. The exasperation he displays behind the bench, increasingly more, is telling of a coach who knows he's losing control of his stars, and his chosen ones aren't performing well enough to compensate for him. Caps were outhit last night, being credited w/19...funny, because I can't remember one. IT'S GOOD TO BE GETTING A HARD-NOSED DMAN BACK IN THE LINEUP.

He inexplicably rendered #4 a lame-duck, publicly...I've never seen a coach in all my years of watching hockey DISPLAY SUCH FAVORITISM, and in doing so undermine the value of hard work, dedication, and commitment to winning. In spite of BB, the Hockey Gods righted an egregious wrong and, unfortunately, ****55 was the victim.

The vibe surrounding the Caps, and I'M A DIEHARD FAN, is infinitely different than that surrounding the Bruins. The caste system in place in DC is in stark contrast to the Bruins, where players play for their teammates, thir coach, the org., the fans, the city, and all of New England. So long as BB is the coach, I'll at least hope to be seeing the Bruins play in May.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 7, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75:
tess is right - it was tom
there had been talk of goats blood, then the was the post by katie (or lindsay) that mentioned goaTLending - instead of goaltending and finally knuble mentioning sacrificing a goat.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 7, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

"Caps were outhit last night, being credited w/19...funny, because I can't remember one."

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 7, 2010 11:19 PM

you've been hitting the goats blood bottle to hard lately - i think your eyes are getting a little blurry/bloodshot (get it - goats blood shot). but you did get the part about being outhit right.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 7, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

No goats blood for me, I couldn't see things more clearer. I meant to say I can't remember a single hit from the backline, but it doesn't matter because it applies to the offense as well. I remember MP, DJK finishing off a check each, and someone diving under Ovi to avoid being demolished and that's it.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 8, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beforeitstoolate

So are you saying you never would have hired either of those coaches before they won the SC? If so, then the NHL will run out of coaches if the only ones capable of winning a SC are coaches who have already won one.

@vermontcaps

Ovie had a few very good hits during the game. Probably the best hitting game he has had in a while.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 8, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton -I agree with you, but who would you trade him for? Would you look short term or long?

With the talent he has, I'd want someone who can help in the playoffs and a prospect for the future.

BTW, welcome back. I've been busy and jsut saw your posts.

@anyone out there. I'm going to the game on Sunday in NYC. Anyone know where the Caps fans hang out?

Posted by: jwash4472 | December 8, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

semin told me this:

(translate.google.com)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 7, 2010 10:14 PM

@Capt_Kirk:

Good one. I for one would love to make a banner to bring to a gameto a game which would look something like this:

Ovie, Semin, and Varlamov are in profile, looking resolutely to the horizon in a "Socialist Realism" style, where the Cup sits surmounted by a Weagle. The caption would read:

Героев Революции хоккею

Trouble is, I can't paint worth beans :(

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | December 8, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse
I didn't say that I would never hire a coach without SC, but BB had 3 years and his system doesn't work. Look at Dan Bylsma(Sp?), he took over and won with Pens fast. BB system is just not there, we need a guy that won SC that knows what it takes to do it

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | December 8, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

He now has 15 goals and 19 assists in 28 games. A similar pace to Semin.
-------------

This might be the most ridiculous post I've seen in awhile: are you seriously comparing the scoring rate of a 19-yr old in the WHL, with that of a proven NHL scorer?! Who has averaged better than a point-per-game for three straight seasons? Do you have any idea how rare that is?

Furthermore, while the W is a decent junior league, the N is the best league in the world - the minor leagues are filled with guys who were prolific scorers at the junior level, but just can't crack the top-6 in the NHL. Filled. And especially with guys from the "Dub."

And this is even more true today, as the faster pace of today's game has inevitably led to a greater demand for better, quicker, more powerful athletes - no matter their place of birth.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 8, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

6 Years and a translator, case closed.

Posted by: LarryDavid

LOL. I actually admire the fact that he's gotten away with it for this long. It'll be hilarious when(if) we finally win a cup to see the schmuck reporters trying to ask him questions about "how it feels" through an interpreter when they know that he knows exactly what they're saying.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 8, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I always get a chuckle when I hear people complain about Semin's use of a translator. The majority of these people have never been required to learn a second language AND have to speak it in front of people. Much less a large group of media people who will pick apart everything you say. It is not easy.

I never understood the need for "insight" anyways. These are hockey players, not politicians. If you really want to know what Semin thinks, then learn Russian and ask him.

Posted by: trunkenmath | December 9, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse